“My perfect annual therapy holiday - ES”
Review of Hotel Ilyssion

Hotel Ilyssion
Ranked #14 of 14 Hotels in Lardos
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have been coming back to this holiday almost annualy for the last 12 years because I have found my perfect holiday, which gives me all I need to relax and regenerate to face the following 12 months of pressured and full on work back in the UK.

I have found the family who run the hotel, and the staff to be a joy and a delight. There again, I find that the people of Rhodes in general are really warm, friendly and welcoming. The weather is always pretty perfect for me - mostly clear blue skies and lovely and warm, if not hot, as is the location of the hotel. Close enough to Pefkos to shop and enjoy the local tavernas, but also not in the main thrust to be too noisy and hectic. The facilities are good: right on the sea front and within only 5 minutes walk to a beach, and three pools. The little salt water pool can end up mirroring the sea by September (coming to the end of the season) but is cleared out and refreshed each year, so if you're coming at the end of the summer it won't be sparking as it does at the beginning - such is the nature of the sea which is pumped in to it.

The room is all that I need, and would expect for 3 stars, including a terrace etc.and serviced/cleaned very regularly.

The hotel serve greek food which I enjoyed when eating there. Although I book half board, as the travel company don't offer a bed and breakfast option, I always budget to eat out for some of the time as I enjoy eating outside in the local tavernas with the advantage of choosing just what I fancy that evening from the menu. Taking that into account I still think it's value for money. I pretty much always eat greek food, as I think it's delicious and part of my greek experience. I happen to know that the hotel use their own organic fruit and vedgetables which are grown on site, and I believe the flavours are a testament to that.

As long as I can save enough to return I will do. Great people, place, weather, food, and fun round the bar in the evening. Couldn't ask for more

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Eleanor S S

Reviewed October 9, 2012

The hotel has a great location on the sea shore (a small lovely sandy beach and a little pier for swimmers just in front oh the hotel), nice swimming pools just in front of the room. Rooms are very basic and small but cleaned every day. Breakfasts were very bad, no choice, no fruit or vegetable, nothing for children. Dinners were better. Promised singing birds in cages were missing, the cages were empty except for one coctateel and the playground was shabby. Swimming pool with sea water was full of slippery seaweeds. Anyway, the weather was perfect, so we enjoyed it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Vera S
Reviewed September 27, 2012

just returned from the ilyssion after 2 weeks holiday there 12th -26th september 2012.its true the food is really bad we paid for half board and spent most of our time eating out.we tried eating there a couple of times and it was just the same , cold ,tasteless.The room we were put in was very basic and could do with updating as the bathroom was a mess, shower with a plastic curtain,toilet seat did not fit,we were charged 20 euro's for the use of a rusty old fridge and yes the rust was in the inside.Also we were invaded by a army of ants.only good points for this hotel was its near the beach, we will not be booking any more holidays at this hotel and if i did go back to greece it would be on a self catering basis

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank a c
Reviewed September 2, 2012

just returned from the ilyssion after a weeks holiday there 22nd-30th august 2012
kostas and his family are very friendly and helpful
we agree with some guests about rooms being basic but if you spend that much time in your room then you are not making the most of your holiday
food was basic and catered for everybody and we found something to eat every night only had chips on the menu twice in the week which was a refreshing change as most holiday hotels seem to base their meals around brits and chips
we will definitely return to this hotel
mark and bethan jones,oswestry shropshire

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mark j
Reviewed September 1, 2012

firstly lets talk about the good bits,
the Kontos family are friendly, helpful and just lovely people.
the hotel is well situated in a quiet spot near the beach,this part of the island has great beahes( I recomend Glystra ),the rooms are good and clean.
The food is ok but boring at lunchtime and evening,the breakfast is generally bread and cheese or cooked meat,sometimes cold scrambled egg or tinned fruit.the fruit juice is dispensed from a machine that always seems to run out of juice so you get water.
entertainment is a lady singer once a week (not great) or the Kontos family Greek dancing which is good,but there used to be a lot more but apparantly the eastern europeans complained as it wasn't to thier taste.
for this reason i would say B&b is probably the better option

Room Tip: most rooms have a sea view
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ageingsunlover
Reviewed August 31, 2012

We stayed here for 1 week from 22nd August 2012. Good things about the Hotel are the staff, very friendly and helpful, the location is great and has amazing views so try and get a sea view room if you can.

Food left a lot to be desired in particular breakfast which lacked variety especially the juices.
Evening meals could be improved. The hotels hands were tied due to variety of different nationalities so I can allow for this for example there was a lack of entertainment in the evenings at the hotel due to past grievances from some eastern european clientele stating that there was a biase towards UK holidaymakers.

However we would consider coming here again but on a self catering basis, the stunning views and friendly staff.

Chester Residents

Room Tip: Higher floors with a sea view recommended
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Clare H
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This was a disapointment, we never saw any staff although we never needed them as we were self catering and chose to clear off in our hire car most of the time, hotel was basic and not very busy but it was end of season. We enjoyed our holiday on Rhodes but wouldn't go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lardos
Summer Memories Apartments
#5 of 5 in Koskinou
Olive Garden Hotel
Olive Garden Hotel
#5 of 14 in Lardos

Been to Hotel Ilyssion? Share your experiences!