“A Wonderful Day”

Ranked #1 of 13 things to do in Vasilikos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We (two adults and an eleven year old boy) took the all-day Cave and Turtle Trip last thursday. Mario is a very nice guy and a seasoned captain. He navigates his comfortably small (24 passengers) boat into into several caves with ease and accuracy. We stopped to swim into some caves. Snorklers got ample time to explore the seabed on their own. Later we saw a lot of turtles surfacing up close and diving under the boat. Mario is an environmentalist and cares not to annoy the lovely caretta turtles too much. This trip ist absolutely family friendly, but the kids should be able to swim. Be prepared to stay in the sun for a whole day! Early booking is advised. We came back full of new knowledge, great memories and with a good conscience. This trip was the highlight of our two week Zante holiday!

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"swim stops"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I went on Mario's full day boat trip back in 2007 with my family and fully enjoyed it then. I returned to Zante this year with my girlfriend and insisted on taking her on Mario's boat. The trip itself hasn't changed a great deal as Mario is still enthusiastic as ever about everything you see on the trip which ranges from beautiful caves to the endangered turtles. As me and my girlfriend were unable to rent a car, getting to Porta Roma would of proved difficult. However Mario offered us a lift to the boat and then back to our appartments after the trip! I would definitely recommend this boat trip to anyone interested in the wildlife and general scenery in Zakynthos. Thanks again Mario!

Will Hobson

Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

We took this trip with Marios 18 years ago and it's as good today as it ever was.
If you want a boat with lots of people, music and drinks, then this is not for you! This trip is beautiful and only for up to 24 people. Marios gets to all the beautiful locations before the hordes arrive so you get to enjoy it without 100's of others. Marios is a wealth of information and is very generous with his time. He does not rush you at all, if you want to swim in the totally amazing cave with is beautiful blue/green/ clear water for another 10 minutes, he won't rush you! It's a total must if you love the med and its beautiful crystal clear waters....and turtles...WOW!
Thanks Marieo..

Jo & Kevan

Reviewed July 1, 2013

It's difficult to add much to the existing reviews, I'd agree with pretty much everything I have read and would urge any visitors staying locally to book.
Having been out with Mario seven or eight times over the years and witnessed some of the other operators at work I'd have to express some concern over what goes on. However, Mario is head and shoulders above the rest and displays a real empathy for the for the marine environment and it's inhabitants. The biggest problem is the holidaying public following the turtle boats from the beach at Laganas in pedalloes or on air beds, there are no controls over these idiots as there are for responsible guides like Mario. Sometimes it can get a little messy with the bigger boats and the idiots jockeying for position to get the best view of a turtle but Mario can be pretty sharp with these guys, and rightly so. Unfortunately having a measurable i.q. does not seem to be a requirement for everyone entering the sea, a problem that I intend to address after the revolution.
One tip. If you stop for a break on Marathonas island and Mario offers the choice of a rest on the beach or a snorkel with him, go for the swim. When we've been most people park up on the beach (as if they needed a rest for heavens sake) but some of the most memorable moments of our trips have been the short adventures under water finding squid and octopus. You'd be a muppet to miss it.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have visited Vasilikos many times over the last few years and I always book to go out on this fantastic trip. The Turtles are the main reason I went out the first time but once I had seen the amazing caves and had the opportunity to swim in the crystal blue waters along I was hooked. The boat trip itself is always very relaxed and I never fail to watch how much children and adults alike enjoy themselves. Mario has a vast knowledge of the turtles and other sights to see whilst at sea. The boat has a maximum capacity of 25 people. If you don't take the opportunity to go out on this trip you will miss the best experience of the whole Island. If I could rate this trip higher than excellent I would.