“Fantastic hotel”

Hotel Gerakas Belvedere Luxury Suites
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Vasilikos
“Fantastic hotel”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We booked this hotel via teletext holidays and it exceeded our expectations! We have a lovely big room with use of air con and a kitchenette. The pool was never too busy and it's an easy walk to two of the best beaches on the island. The breakfast in the hotel is buffet style but a great variety is available. We had dinner in the restaurant on a couple of occasions and the food and presentation was always brilliant. The staff are all welcoming. I would def recommend a mojito in Villa Rossa behind the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jemma M

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed June 23, 2012

5* location and also 5* hotel now. Wow, what a chef! Food is really excellent now.
We just spent a week from 15th June to 22th June and surely we will go back. This was our 10th Greek island. We love Vasilikos...and also Marios Cruises, the turtles, the Keri caves and so on...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Christian M
london
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We booked in at a local "villa". Oh dear, it was just terrible! We checked out after one night! Anyway we were so lucky to be able to snag a great room here instead. I can't say enough about the standards of cleanliness... spit spot clean and so open. Most of the guests were Dutch or German, which was a nice change from the usual sunburned Northern English rowdy crew (sorry but that's just the truth). The staff were super sweet and obliging. Don't miss the incredible and stylish bar in the back of the hotel. Cabanas and smooth music. Great food but even better cocktails. Definitely ensure you get a room on the top floors. Fab views. There is also a small playground on the grounds for kids and a dedicated kids pool. Don't expect a Four Seasons or a Ritz Carlton... It's Zakynthos, people... Come on. I think some of these reviews are a bit unfair. I believe there are a few 5 star places on the north of the island that are exclusive and upscale but they are triple the price. Expect a nice friendly, clean, boutique style hotel for good value and you will be happy :)

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank RachaelGo
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We just spent a week at this hotel from 10th June to 17th June. We booked our holiday at the very last minute (Friday to travel on the Sunday), and our flight was delayed by 8.5 hours (avoid Strategic Airlines at all costs if going on an Olympic organised holiday) which meant we landed in Zakynthos about 5am (our return flight to the UK was delayed by 9.5 hours - the airline outdid their incompetence somehow!).

We arrived at the hotel and were greeted by Dani who said "Don't panic, but we don't have your booking..." but whether that was Olympics fault or the travel agent we booked through I don't know. The key point is, I had emailed the hotel to ask about parking if we hired a car (to which I got an almost immediate response) and based on this email they had reserved a room for us.

Dani recognised that we were exhasuted due to our delay, and simply showed us to our room and said he'd introduce everything else once we'd had a rest - a very thoughtful gesture and one which we appreciated. To cut a potentially long story short, the hotel is excellent, the staff are very attentive (special thanks to Dani, Maria and Roman), the food is good and, if you are looking for a relaxing holiday, the location is superb. The surroundings are very quiet, and Gerakas beach is a 10 min walk - the view down to Gerakas from the dining terrace is superb at dinner. More lively beaches a bit further away at Banana Beach/Casa Playa. Villa Rosa, at the rear of the hotel, is a brilliant idea and provides a very relaxing environment to enjoy a cocktail (or watch the Euro games!).

If you want to explore the island, hire a car. Cheaper if you organise in advance (c 100 euros for 7 days) or you can ask the hotel for a local suplier (c100 euros for 3 days in this low season). Not much else to say, guests were mostly British, German, Dutch and French and ranged from 20s to late 60s I'd say, at this time of year it is perfect to get away if you want to avoid lots of families like we did (we'll have a family soon enough and want to enjoy ourselves whilst we can!).

If it wasn't for the hotel and their staff our holiday could have been a disaster, you'd have to be exceptionally fussy to find faults. A very big thank you to Vicky and the team (especially Dani) - if it wasn't for a desire to explore the other Greek Islands we'd definitely go back next year.

Room Tip: We had room 211 which was a beautiful suite with a balcony overlooking the surrounding countryside a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris B
South Wales
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We have just returned from this hotel having stayed for one week (10-05-12 to 17-05-12) and have had an absolutely wonderful holiday there. The hotel had only just opened the week before in preparation for the summer season and so, was fairly quiet during our stay.
We were very pleasantly surprised at the standard of service we received from all of the staff at the hotel and cannot express enough, just how welcome we were made to feel.

On arrival, we were greeted by Dani at reception, who, after checking us in, escorted us to our room and gave us plenty of essential information about the hotel.
We were also given a menu for that evening's dinner selection and I have to say, there was a good choice of 4 courses. Our room was spacious, bright, clean and in excellent condition with an adequate size bathroom. Towels were brand new and basic toiletries were also provided (guest shampoo, soap, bubble bath etc.).

Dinner on our first evening was excellent. We could not find anything at all to criticise about the food quality, quantity, presentation nor the service received when dinner was served. There is also a good choice of wines and drinks available in the dining room.
Breakfast is also great. Plenty of choice to satisfy even the most "fussy" of guests!

On our second evening we met Vicky, the hotel owner and she informed us that for summer 2012 she has employed a new chef. She was very keen to receive feedback about the food from all of the guests staying at the Belvedere that week. As I have already mentioned, the food was excellent. FIRST CLASS!! Every morning at breakfast, you are given a menu with a good selection for that evening's dinner. On arrival in the dining room, you are greeted by friendly and polite staff and your meals are served to you at your table. The food at this hotel is, due to the hard work of the new chef, of a very high standard. The new chef is also offering a new menu at the pool bar for the summer, with a greater choice of snacks available during the day than was previously available last summer.

The pool area was very well maintained and spotlessly clean and the sunbeds are comfortable and in good condition. There are also parasols at every pair of sunbeds.

Villa Rossa, the bar at the back of the hotel, situated in the hotel's pretty' gardens had also just opened and is a beautiful setting to end the day with a coffee or cocktail.

Overall, we cannot emphasise enough, just how lovely our holiday at the Gerakas Belvedere was. Vicky and all of the staff made us so welcome and nothing was ever too much trouble for any of them. The hotel is set in an absolutely beautiful location with stunning views across the countryside and out to sea.

The tranquil location, superb service, warm welcome and first class food made this a holiday that we will never forget. We will definitely be going back to this hotel and we have already recommended it to several of our friends and family.

We would like to, through this review, say a BIG thank you to Vicky and all of the staff at the hotel for looking after us and making our stay at the hotel, PERFECT!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank WalesMikey
Reviewed October 29, 2011

I find it very difficult to rate this hotel. On the one hand the hotel had many aspects I really liked, others will probably prevent me from ever going back. The aspects I would indeed rate 4*, are for instance the fact that it looks really great. Both from the outside and inside. The architectual design was cleverly done, so the hotel fits perfectly into the beautiful surroundings. The reception has that luxury “look” and the rooms really are very pretty if rather cheaply furnished. I had a double room in the main building and the view from the balcony was just stunning. Nothing but nature and the sea in the distance. Indeed, anyone who wants to get away from it all I would highly recommend to visit Vassilikos during the low season. Gerakas beach was amazing, there was hardly anyone on the streets and the tavernas were pretty much completely empty. Obviously, if you want nightlife and a bit of a pulse, stay clear of this area. But for me I couldn’t have hoped for a better place to just relax for a few days. It was all I had hoped for. I also liked the mix of guests and general atmosphere at the hotel. Mostly Brits, Germans & Suisse guests, age mix anything from mid 20s-70s, only one family.

However, the aspects I wasn’t too happy with were for instance the food, general maintenance and service, all in all not what I would expect of a 4* hotel. Just a few examples, when I arrived the black out curtains weren’t properly attached to the curtain railings,hanging down on one side, so you couldn’t properly close them. Hence light was shining into the room as soon as the sun was up in the mornings. After the 3rd night I eventually climbed a chair to fixed the problem myself and reattached the curtain ends to the hooks. It’s such a minor detail that could have been fixed by house cleaning easily before a new guest arrived, but the fact that it wasn’t taken care of, just goes hand in hand with the general impression I got of other areas of hotel management & maintenance. Bathrooms looked very tired although the hotel is only a couple of years old. Cleaning wasn’t an exact science and I had the impression the hair and dust was just moved around the room instead of actually being re-moved. To be honest, I’ve stayed at cleaner basic accommodation in Cambodia than this 4* hotel. I got the impression that several of the guests weren’t too happy with their rooms, as I overheared several people talking about having changed rooms. Also, as some of the other reviewers mentioned I also found the wasps in the various jam/nutella jars at breakfast very off-putting. The breakfast area was partly on a terrace, so I expect wasps to be flying around, but I would also expect the food itself to be in jars covered by lids , so the food is protected. Again it’s just such a minor detail to cover up the food properly, so you are not in competition with numerous wasps sitting in the food everywhere.

Maybe it was partly due to the fact that I visited at the very end of the season, but for a 4* hotel I found staff/service seemed rather amateurish. Not unhelpful if you asked for s.th., but definitely lacking. Other 4* hotels service/maintenance etc. seemed effortless, here it was an effort. Either because it just wasnt there or you had to ask for it specifically. When I arrived I asked for a map of the immediate area which is pretty standard for most hotels and I was told they had just run out. The lady at reception borrowed me hers and made me promise to bring it back. I eventually got my own copy from Joanna, the lovely lady at Mais supermarket down the road, she only remarked that the hotel didn’t seem to have any all season…Finally, just a word about the pool area which really looked great at first sight, but again it's slightly let down by general maintenance. Some of the sun loungers were broken and there isn’t a shower at the pool.

This hotel is certainly not luxury or 4* international standard, but at the same time it offers more than your typical 3* hotel, so it's difficult to give it a rating. It's such a shame because this hotel could really be amazing if just some minor cost-effective adjustments could be made. Get your house cleaning up to speed, improve the food or at least the presentation at breakfast and change the general attitude to service.

I think if you book this hotel with your eyes open, don’t expect perfection and maybe get a great deal, I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful holiday. I highly recommend the area for a relaxing holiday away from it all and unless you want to go self-catering, this hotel is probably the best hotel option in the area as it’s also relatively close to Gerakas beach (10 min walk). I got a fantastic deal and given that it was just 20min by taxi from the airport, it made for a cheap, hassle free (in terms of getting there) holiday. Would I book it on there normal, high season rates? Without any changes to their maintenance, no I wouldn't. However, on another cheap deal I would consider booking it again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
10 Thank AnnaG5
Princes Risborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2011

A nice hotel in an excellent location. Room sizes were good and the addition of a small area with fridge and sink was an added benefit.
However, we went at the start of October and very disappointed that the hotel was so quiet. The hotel food was very poor. The breakfasts consisted of stale cereals and tinned fruit and tea was self services from a flask. Evening meals had to be pre-ordered at breakfast time and from a from a small choice. We only ate in the restuarant on one evening as the quality of the food was very poor. The main hotel bar was closed throughout our stay.
We spent one morning by the pool and went to the poolside bar. They had run out of fruit juices and the only food they could offer was toasted sandwiches.
Thankfully the local taverna's offered a good alternative, though again, most were very quiet and some nights we were the only ones eating.
Did have problems with the bath waste too. It was impossible to have a shower without the water coming up through the floor drain and flooding the bathroom.
Could be such a nice hotel if the above faults were addressed.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank weston11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vasilikos
Mabely Grand Hotel
Mediterranean Beach Resort Hotel
Zante Pantheon Hotel
Zante Pantheon Hotel
#9 of 51 in Tsilivi

Been to Hotel Gerakas Belvedere Luxury Suites? Share your experiences!