“Good holiday at Agean Suites” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Aegean Suites

Aegean Suites
Hazlemere
“Good holiday at Agean Suites”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Just returned from a two week holiday at this hotel. It is a nice place to stay only a short walk into Skiathos town, which we did each night to find a restaurant for dinner. Agean Suites is a lovely well kept hotel, great for relaxation, but if you do not like the noise of the main road running in front of the hotel this may not be the place for you. Breakfast is from 08.30 - 10.30 and is all prepared fresh for you, except for the cereals; try the fresh fruit it's great. If like us you want to sample the delights of Skiathos town you can walk in, it takes about 15 minutes; the best way and to keep off the main road is to walk to the second supermarket, cross the road and walk down the alley, follow your nose and you will arrive at the top of the town, no busy road to risk. Walk around the town and get a taxi back, 6 euro.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank JohnWHazlemere

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Greek first
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Arrived with my wife as the first guests on the opening day of the 2013 season. Hotel was spotless. We checked in to a beautiful suite but I wanted a better view from higher up in the hotel and we were moved next morning with no issues. As it was the first week of the season we only had five of the twenty rooms occupied. Two couples disappeared each day leaving just six of us to enjoy all the facilities of the hotel. The hotel soon took on the air of a private villa for us six.

The food was on the whole pretty good and the ambience of eating dinner on the terrace overlooking the pool was excellent. Restaurant food in Skiathos is on balance pretty horrible, Greek cuisine at its worst. So the benchmark was set pretty low.

As other reviewers have mentioned, this is not a hotel for anyone infirm or anyone with health issues. We were 107 steps from the bar to our room but given that I had chosen the room I can hardly complain. It's also not a hotel for beach lovers. The beach opposite is pretty grotty. it really needed a good clean but this may be due to it being first week or indicative of the Greek economy. Suspect in improves later in the season as more places open.

On the whole this a cracking little hotel and with the right people there you can have a great time. Not sure how good it would be with the wrong people in such a small intimate environment.

Room Tip: Lower rooms maybe a bit to close to the bar and have the worst views. Despite all the fabulous revie...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SurreyMac
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2012

My wife and I had decided to take a late summer break and chose to go back to Greece for the first time for several years. We wanted a small quiet island that we had not previously visited and settled on Skiathos which prooved to be a good decision.

We chose the Aegean Suites as again it was small and hopefully quiet ( again a perfect choice ).We have previously stopped in a SLH (Spice Island in Grenada ) but were not disappointed with our second experience Yes, there were lots of steps but while old enough to enjoy peace and quiet ,we are not too old for this to have been a problem. Talking to fellow guests around the pool and at breakfast, it would seem that our high opinion was shared -it was difficult to find fault. Our suite was good ( room 305 at the VERY top of the stairs),breakfast was good both for quality and choice, lunch around the pool was very good value ( enough to share between two ) and dinner, on the three occassions when we ate in, did not disappoint ( possibly with the exception of the Kleftiko which was cooked rather differently to our previous experience).

Overall I can not praise this hotel sufficiently highly. As has been mentioned by several other reviewers, the staff were extremely friendly and helpfull - without exception.

On returning home I thought I would reaquaint myself with previous reviews on Trip Advisor and was surprised to see that there were a few negative reviews. However on checking those reviews, I see that, almost without exception, they date back to 2005 and I can only assume the hotel has been renovated and refurbished in the interim.

Room Tip: The higher up - the better the views if you are prepared to accept the steps.
13 Thank Paul W
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

Spacious suite with lovely sea views. Cleaned to a very high standard by very friendly maids who also changed towels and bins twice daily. Evening food menu was not always to our liking but 'specials' started to be added for choice to evening meals. Breakfasts were always delicious and full of choice. Waiters and pool staff were charming and always helpful. The only issue we had was being asked every day what time we wanted our evening meal, this we felt was too restrictive but it was quickly resolved after a chat with our 'Sovereign rep'. Dominique the manager, was my star as she quickly called the doctor for me when i had an allergic reaction to mosquito bites - she was very lovely and caring and made me feel safe as i was quite worried. Thank you Dominique i will not forget. Overall a very relaxing stay at a very good location just on the edge of the town with shops, restaurants and bars in walking distance. Buses run right by the door on the main road (which could be noisy at night) to take you to beaches further up but we hired a car from Budget in town which gave us freedom to explore the island which is well worth it!

Room Tip: Sea view was lovely and bright
3 Thank Twinkle56
Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We enjoyed a week here early September. The hotel is small and has very friendly staff. We were well looked after. Food at lunch times round the pool was excellent, price reasonable. Drinks were also fairly priced. We did not eat in the hotel in the evenings. Not really a 5 star by european standards but certainly a good 4 star. No real complaints, beds a little hard for our taste but this is the norm in Greece. We walked into town every night and never had a bad meal, using the top 8 or so restaurants on Tripadvisor is fail safe. Our favourite was The Final Step, worth the climb for the view.

2 Thank AnthonyPit
Horsham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Hotel generally:
Staff: we found all the staff to be polite and helpful. When we called reception, the phone was answered promptly and if we needed someone to come to our room, such as when the safe wasn't working, someone would be there in just 2-3 minutes, which is about as fast as anyone could get up the stairs. At breakfast there would be several staff serving and ditto in the bar at lunch.  I don't think that I ever saw someone standing about doing nothing when guests were waiting and we were greeted by all staff members pretty much every time we saw them.  They remembered little details, like when they had last seen us. I asked for a banana one breakfast and there hadn't been any delivered. The next morning, the person I had asked made a point of coming over to tell me that they had some in that day. I thought that they really hit the balance between professional and friendly.
Breakfast: the breakfast area has lovely views over the bay, and is decorated with long flowing sheer curtains and chic furniture. Eggs are cooked to order and I have to particularly compliment the bacon, which was nicely grilled and had very little fat.  Oranges are squeezed for the fruit juice - you do get the odd pip, but at least you know it's real juice!  The Greek coffee is delicious and your cup refilled.  They have a nice selection of fruits, as well as natural yoghurt and English-style pancakes, not to mention a basket of bread and pastries that you enjoy with various jams, honey or (if you like that kind of thing) nutella.
Steps and slopes: like a lot of Greek properties, the Aegean Suites are set into the hillside. There is a slope up to reception, but after that, it's stairs, stairs and more stairs. They are even and properly paved, but you are going to have to be happy/able to climb up and down them.
Gym: there are several resistance/ weight machines, one running machine and one exercise bike. It's not electric and has a mechanical gear, but does offer a decent amount of resistance. We did find towels in the next room, but you need to bring your own water. And you will need water as there is no air con!
The spa is in the same building as the gym - in fact it is only separated by a wall and curtains, so it must be weird having a chill out treatment if someone is hefting away on the wights or pounding in the running machine.  I had hoped to book a treatment, but it turned out that the one I wanted was only available at their sister hotel which is 15 minutes away by taxi and I didn't fancy that.  When I see that a hotel has a spa I envisage having a lovely treatment and then strolling back to my room. A car journey after the treatment just doesn't have the same vibe.
Champagne bar. The prices in this bar are so ridiculous that I don't nderstand how they could sell a single glass. The Greek economy may be in a parlous state, but they are still using the same currency as the French and it simply does not cost over eur200 for a bottle of Veuve Cliquot. I accept that they need to make a profit but that is ridiculous. Thankfully, we checked their price list while still in the uk and bought two bottles of Moët in the airport on the way out for about a tenth of the price.
Location:  The suites are slightly out of town, but you can stroll from your room to Papadiamtis Street in just under 20 minutes. The beach is directly across the road. A small path leads down to wooden steps immediately opposite the hotel drive.  There is a typical Greek supermarket three minutes walk away.
Hotel restaurant. I thought that the food was excellent, the menu a little different to the bog-standard Greek fare and although more expensive than typical in-town tavernas, not over priced. It is lovely and peaceful compared with the main town and the candlelit terrace is a beautiful and romantic setting.

Heaven Suite:
This suite is at the top of a picturesque, but very long set of stairs. Luckily they wind about so you don't have to look up and see the daunting view of what you have to climb. The suite consisted of a sitting room bedroom and bathroom, and wide patio/deck with a jacuzzi. The rooms are attractively decorated with pictures and ornaments, and the decor is clean bright and well maintained.  In the sitting room area, you have the wardrobe, minibar and large comfy sofa plus some of chairs and tables.  I would have preferred to have the wardrobe in the bedroom - there is room, if you move out the side table and chairs which is what I would do, thus saving trailing from the bathroom, through the bedroom and to the other end of the sitting room when getting dressed in the morning or evening.  I think another set of drawers wouldn't go amiss either.  The other change that I would make would be to put the TV in the sitting room.  There's plenty of space for it there, whereas in the bedroom it's sat on the dressing table blocking half of the mirror.  In the cupboard by the minibar there was an electronic mozzie repeller plus a box of the tablets that you put in it, which I thought was a nice touch.
The room has free wifi, accessible without a code and it only faded out once.  The lighting is good with two lamps and two bedside lamps providing a nice level of brightness.
The bathroom is tiled, has two full length mirrors  (around some kind of corner pillar) surface space around the basin and a shower over the bath with a glass screen.  The shower had a decent amount of  pressure and it didn't take long for hot water to flow through.  We had thick, fluffy towels which were replaced twice a day and robes.  We were also provided with multiple bottles of shampoo, conditioner and shower gel.  I would have liked another shelf under the sink.  The drain cover broke when I trod on it (and I am not a heavy person, in fact quite the opposite). It was replaced as soon as we called reception, but then that one broke when my husband trod on it and also the replacement for that. The hotel must have a large supply of cheap and weedy drain covers!
On the subject of things that didn't work, our safe would refuse to open (or close) at least once a day. Again staff would be with us in no time to fix it, but it did get a bit tiresome.  On the third day the fixit man came and cleaned up the battery connections and that seemed to do the trick  I was surprised that it was not fixed to the wall or even the cupboard that it sat in. It was heavy of course but not too heavy to carry away.  Its big enough for a laptop. Drinks in the minibar was reasonably priced and there was space for your own items.
Out on the balcony, we had two large chairs with giant cushions which were very comfy. There was also a large circular  day bed which you could rearrange into separate pieces. And of course, the lovely jacuzzi. This was cool in the first afternoon as it had just been completely drained and refilled for the new guests (us), but one day in the sun and it was warm as bath water. The deck is sunny most of the day, but there are large white curtains to ensure that you always have shade.

In summary: I really liked the suite, it felt stylish and comfortable and it definitely a cut above the normal Greek accommodation. I was impressed by the staff and the food and have only minor niggles, all of which I have mentioned above.

3 Thank Monk-san
Stockholm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012 via mobile

We just spent a week at Aegean Suites Hotel and enjoyed our stay. I liked the hotel since it is a smaller one and feels cozy. It was very calm and peaceful staying here.

In general the service was quite good. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The bar staff could be a bit more attentive. We had booked the standard suite but were offered for upgrade to either deluxe for the whole stay or the charming room for the last two nights. The offer was of course very much appreciated. The rooms are very clean. Breakfast was a la carte and was good where the quality of lunch varies.

The location of the hotel was good walking distance to Skiathos town. There is a beach right across the hotel, not the best one on the island but we still enjoyed it very much as it wasn't very crowded.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 6 in Agia Paraskevi
La Piscine Art Hotel
La Piscine Art Hotel
#4 of 88 in Skiathos

Been to Aegean Suites? Share your experiences!