“A good hotel in a lovely spot”
Review of Hotel Club Cartago

Hotel Club Cartago
London, United Kingdom
“A good hotel in a lovely spot”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

The north of the island of Ibiza is really pretty, and this hotel built into the hills on Puerto San Miguel takes advantage of that. The views from the pool and restaurant are lovely.

The hotel is all-inclusive and the food is pretty good, especially at dinner time. We were there for a week with different dinner options available every day, including a vegetarian option each day a creperie set up one night and a fish stand another as well as the usual buffet of stews and curries and meat/chips/veg. There's a lot to choose from at breakfast as well.

The chinese restaurant food is quite nice, but with having to pre-book the day before, arrive for a particular dining spot and then being shut in the restaurant, just for a chinese buffet, personally I preferred eating in the main restaurant most of the time although you can book for the chinese as many evenings as you want.
We went as a young couple and although the resort is geared at families we didn't feel left out. There's plenty to do on site but we hired a car and explored the island a lot of the time. The canoeing is fun though - the half hour slots mean you can just explore a little then get back to your spot on the beach.

The cocktails are best at the main bar by the pool - downstairs at the saloon bar they are more hit and miss. Also the ice creams are excellent at this main bar, with a different offering downstairs at the saloon. I can't comment on the food from the tapa tapa bar as we didn't eat there due to the lack of vegetarian offering and it generally looking a bit uninspiring! If you want proper spanish tapas I'd go elsewhere, this looked more like canapes to me.

All the staff were friendly and welcoming, our apartment was clean and the air con worked wonderfully, all of which contributed to a relaxing stay.

We bought our holiday through First Choice and I think it was great value - this is a lovely location with enough activities to amuse you between sunbathing sessions and most people will feel well catered for.

Room Tip: We had an apartment which gave us more space bit it's a bit of a distance from the beach and poo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here in May with my mum. We got a really cheap deal and off we went for the first time to ibiza. When we arrived at the hotel we couldnt believe what we had got for our money. It was fabulous. Our room was overlooking the gorgeous beach but all the rooms have a great view and i have to say the beds are the comfiest beds ive ever stayed in. The rooms were spotless clean with new sheets and towels everyday.
The staff where lovely and very friendly whether it was the bar staff, waitresses or the animation team.
The rooftop restaurant was brilliant and the food was beautiful. Plenty of choice at every meal. How this hotel is only a three star is beyond me.
We usually like to go to new places every holiday but this hotel was so good we will definately be goin back and soon.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank scousewire
Wallasey, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

I went to hotel from 15th June to 20th and 23rd to 26th in between I went to my sons wedding .The hotel is a three star but it compares very favourably with a four star .The food is very good with plenty of variety and good quality .The rooms are very clean and modern with TV channels BBC and ITV plus other channels .In some all inclusive the drinks are no better than chemicals in the Cartago they are good quality with plenty of variety .The staff were very friendly and helpful and would do anything for you .It is linked with the San Miguel club so that you can use there facilities .The San Miguel club seemed to be mainly English with children and the Cartago was very mixed with couples and a mix of nationalities eg French ,Spanish and some Germans .There was a lot of posts about the lifts but although you had to use them a lot the waiting time was minimal .My only real problem was that the pool was very cramped and that the pool on ground floor at the San Miguel club although it had plenty of sun beds the pool was really for children .However, the beach was only 20 yards away and you could if you liked go for a swim in sea which was excellent .If you did not wont to be by pools you could go on beach but sun beds cost 5euros a day .The plus by pool was that you could get drinks and ice creams plus food all day.At night they put on some entertainment but to be honest it was more for families . There were a couple of bars close bye Irish bar and Sportsman bar which people went too when some World Cup games were on .(they were also on in hotel). Overall it was a very enjoyable stay and a good location that was close to my sons wedding .I would not go back there because I don't really like all inclusive and also it was mainly for families .However, if I am lucky enough to have grandchildren in the future I would not hesitate to go back .

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Phil W
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I've been to this hotel twice and each time it's been great. It's clean, they have entertainment and you can use the 'beach club' hotel facilities as well.

This last visit there were less English people at the Cartago - but for me this is a holiday and I love learning other languages/cultures etc.
For a three star hotel the food is great - although there are differences in a slight way from a few years ago.
This hotel is suitable for families, couples of all ages and young people who like to drink and enjoy themselves but still respect that others on holiday may not share all of their 'pastimes'.

May I say that all the staff - from reception, cleaners, waiter/resses and bar staff - are pleasant and helpful.
CAN I SAY A BIG THANK YOU TO THE BARMAN WHO HELPED ME WITH MY SPANISH AND HANDED MY HANDBAG INTO RECEPTION WHEN I LEFT IT IN THE BAR - AND TO ANYONE ELSE WHO WAS INVOLVED IN RETRIEVING IT !
PUEDO DECIR MUCHAS GRACIAS AL CAMARERO que me ayudó CON MI ESPAÑOL Y mi BOLSO EN RECEPCIÓN cuando lo dejé en el bar - ya cualquiera que estuvo involucrado en la recuperación de MI BOLSO! MUCHAS GRACIAS eLAINE

Room Tip: AIR CON IS FREE - if you have mobility problems ask for a bottom or top floor. all have views to die...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eeeinstein
South Coast
Reviewed June 11, 2014

This hotel has an amazing position with nearly all rooms having a sea view. We travelled as a family of 8 including 3 children and my elderly mother. We had 4 rooms although unfortunately they were not all together but the first room we were allocated was next to the lift and very noisy but we asked for another room and the receptionist was helpful and moved us with no problem. The rooms were very clean. People have mentioned the problem with the lifts and although at times it is a minor irritation we did not find it to be a big problem. The children had a great time although we were disappointed that they could not join the kids club at the sister hotel which shared facilities, but this was run by Thomson's and the children could only attend the kids club if you booked through Thomson's which we didn't.
All the staff at the hotel were all excellent, very helpful and friendly, we couldn't fault them.
We found the food to be ok but not great, it was mostly luke warm and the restaurant is too small when the hotel is full. There were often big queues for starters and main courses.
We used the Western Saloon bar for lunchtime snacks a couple of days but the menu was very limited and it was like a typical fast food cafe, not very appealing. There is a continuous supply of ice creams, cornettos and lollies.
The evening entertainment which was outside was very entertaining and the entertainment team do very well getting everyone involved.
The beach is a lovely sandy beach with a few bars and restaurants.
The hotel is good for pushchairs and for people with mobility issues as there are lifts and ramps and not too many steps.
The hotel is a good hotel for all ages but mostly ideal for families.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms near to reception and restaurant.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank SouthCoastRosie
Dublin
Reviewed June 4, 2014

Just returned from a week here, our first time to visit & all solely based on Trip Advisor comments.

The hotel is in a beautiful location, moments from a small sandy beach, and if you've a sea view room you can hear the waves lapping all day & night.

The public areas - bathrooms, eating area, lobby, bars are all spotless with staff ensuring tables cleared/areas kept cleaned all long. Any staff we encountered were very nice.

The food in the restaurant was nice. I did find some of it bland & not always varied, more veg would of helped but in general it was plentiful and always hot. They have a "kiddie" buffet & it was horrendous, I think my daughter would of starved to death if she was expected to only eat from that area! Lots of salad & fruit options for lunch & dinner. Desserts weren't to our tastes but did seem varied. Drinks of all types, juice, coffee, various teas, beer, wines & fizzy drinks on tap. Dinner seen a selection of chicken dishes, pork, meatballs, hake. One night there was a full fish buffet, salmon, mussels, prawns etc. Another night they had various roasts but it wasn't as nice as the fish, cold & the chicken was over done & completely dried out.

We visited the Chinese one night & if visiting hotel again I'd not bother. The food wasn't great & didn't have much choice.

There were lots of alcohol options, we did find the drink weaker than at home, maybe just cheaper types of vodka/rum etc?

We had a room on the first floor, but unfortunately we were near the lift & stairwell so until 12.30 each night it was noisy, not much the hotel could do, some people just have no consideration for others and can't control their own kids & mouths! I'd request a room well away from lift/stairs next time. The benefit of 1st floor was pool the floor under us which meant been able to pop up down to room not needing lift. We only needed lift to go to 8th floor (reception & restaurants). The lifts took forever!!!

Our room was nice. 1 double bed, 2 singles so our daughter had a choice. Balcony was small but over looked sea and got sun from 2pm. It did get very hot so ensure to close curtains in the afternoon and use Air Con. Room cleaned every day, fresh towels etc.

Entertainment was hilarious. Zorro & his team put on a great show. And Zorro himself has a great comic timing. My daughter didn't participate in kids activities (preferring pool all day long!) but she loved the kids time each evening. Didn't think much of the hypnosis night they had, he was a bit rude to the kids telling them to shush all the time
We didn't use facilities at the neighboring apartments but did attend the entertainment each night, the sunbeds @ Cartago are much more comfortable than the white plastic ones next door.
The pool was a disappointment, it was stone cold. My daughters lips were blue after the 1st day and I only got in once, it was a shame.

Overall it's a great place. I'd be hard pushed to visit during high season, the pool and restaurant got very busy towards the end of our stay so I can only imagine what July/August would be like. We went during the midterm for the UK at end of May/beg June & was nicely busy.

If you want a week of sunbathing/reading/kids in pool work away, and unlike the rest of the island not a peep after 00.30am!!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near lift/stairwell. Low floor near pool, high floor near restaurant. All seem to be sea...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank DublinAlien
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Great value for money. It was off season. Great Location, Super food ,All inclusive. Great and friendly staff Bed was less comfortable (mattress was little bit hard) Overall excellent stay. Will recommend to everybody and i will return again in future.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
#3 of 8 in Port de Sant Miguel
Bellamar Hotel
Bellamar Hotel
#4 of 99 in Sant Antoni de Portmany

Been to Hotel Club Cartago? Share your experiences!