“A cheeky wee week away”
Review of San Miguel Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Port de Sant Miguel
San Miguel Hotel
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Viv and I spent a week at the Hotel San Miguel in early May.

Thomson early morning flight from Glasgow was excellent - bang on time and comfortable flight. Quickly through airport and arrived at hotel after an hour or so transfer via Portinatx. First impressions excellent, the room was already ready for us at lunchtime and the lady in reception was very welcoming. The room was basic but clean - there were 3 beds so when they were all pushed together we had a super-duper king size. The view from the balcony was magnificent. It's well worth paying a small supplement for a sea view. We were on the 4th floor right at the end (I think it was 432 but a week on all inclusive plays havoc with your memory).

The hotel was fairly quiet as it was early season and the Beach Club only opened as we left. However, there was still quite a few kids, albeit mainly French. To be expected, like their parents they have no manners and don't know how to queue!! Food was very good for a 3 star. breakfast had a an excellent choice - full cooked English, omelettes to order, continental and chips for our European neighbours! Dinner and Tea (or Lunch and Dinner if you're posh) were both perfectly acceptable. There's a Tapas bar for pre-tea snacks - we didn't try it as we didn't fancy it. You can also book into the Chinese (no extra cost). It was OK, but not that sparkling. Most of our fellow guests that nice we bumped into in the main restaurant filling up afterwards!! The snack bar (Western Saloon) was fine. Drinks were plentiful, nothing special but it was the usual AI fayre.

The resort is very small with only a handful of restaurants, bars and shops. A handful if you have small hands !! AI finished at 11.00pm and there was nowhere close by for a stroll and drink later on. There's an Irish bar nearby but it was closed in early May. SMOKERS BEWARE - there's no Tabac in the resort, it's about 3 miles to the town centre and not really suitable to walk due to the lack of a pavement. However, the owner of the sports bar at the top of the road down to the beach has a bountiful supply hidden in his top drawer!! This place will probably be very busy in the main season and well worth a visit - the chickens and oranges next door are braw. The beach is fantastic - the sunbeds and parasols are quite expensive, most beach bums settled for a towel. The bay is shallow and perfect for swimming and you can nip back to the hotel for your refreshments.

In summary, we had a fantastic week. The location is superb and our view from the balcony was brilliant. The entertainment was great, we knew we'd be in for a good week when our first night featured a Sonny and Cher tribute act. We spent the rest of the week star spotting - you don't often get Clive James. The Three Degrees, Kenny Lynch, Michael Buble, GI Jane, Helen Mirren, Mowgli and Karen Barber all holidaying together. BINGO!! Plus, I beat Jonathon Edwards in a tie-breaker to win the music quiz - Viv looked beautiful in the San Miguel 2013 T-Shirt !! Special mention to Mikey and Gemma, lovely couple!!

Book it- you won't be disappointed

Bubaye for now

Viv and Rick

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank david s

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Just returned from a 7 night holiday here. The hotel itself is in a wonderful location. The staff were lovely. The food was great. Unfortunately evening entertainment wasn't a chosen activity. If you decided to have an early night, it was pointless as you were kept awake with Zorro and his dulcit tones. You couldn't go to sleep before 11.30 at all and then you had to cope with all the loud mouthed residents coming home. I know it's not the hotels fault but the entertainment team seem to encourage people to be drunk and loud. Not everyone wants to party every night and I felt really sorry for the families with younger kids who were pretty miserable due to lack of sleep. I certainly wont be returning and am unsure as I would do another all inclusive due to the kind of people if seems to attract!

Room Tip: I don't believe there are any quieter rooms as the evening entertainment is just so loud.
2  Thank nikki r
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We have not done all inclusive holidays in the past or much beach based holidays so we decided to try something new. Our expectations were low through varying mixed reviews. But I can say we had a great time. The food was excellent. Good choice and far too much of it. The local children's entertainers were brilliant. So dedicated and kept smiling despite some awkward and unruly children which had been left to their own devises. The Thomson children's team also did a good job. All the staff were friendly. The facilties included free tennis courts,gym and mountain bikes. We did not stay outside beyond the children's section on a night so can't comment on the adult entertainment however zorro and his team did a great job during the day. The rooms were clean and tidy. The beach was lovely and the view in the cove was idyllic. The clientele was mixed. Some very loud professional all inclusivers who sported several years of San Miguel t shirts. But still a significant amount of the quieter set. We enjoyed it and will return for another week next year. Doing beyond that and I would explode with all that food!

Room Tip: We chose a quiet room at the back of the beach hotel. Third floor so nobody walking in cloggs above...
4  Thank 356Chooch356
Reviewed May 29, 2013

had a great week in san miguel just wished we could have stayed a little longer ,would definately recommend for families with young children the hotel staff were great keeping the children entertained day and night ,the rooms are basic but clean with great views from the balcony ,the food is really good lots of choice .

2  Thank lorna h
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I have just returned from this lovely hotel where I visited with my husband, my mam and her friend. The hotel is lovely and clean and there was a good choice of food. The entertainment on a evening could have been a bit better but never mind...when you meet lovely people that you become good friends with (Michelle and Kellie and Linda and Tim with their son Liam), you make your own. The beach was cleaned every morning and there was canoes which you could use free of charge. You don't get this at many places. In the dining room, the staff were very friendly and helpful as so was the reception staff not that we needed them. There is a Chinese restaurant that is included in your all inclusive package which we tried and we were very disappointed. During the day there is an entertainment program which you're not pressurised to join in. I will be returning to this hotel again in the near future.

1  Thank marie c
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Me and my family booked two weeks at the San Miguel resort last year and loved it so much that even though we couldn't really afford a holiday this year we made it possible to have just 1 week at the same place. Upon arriving at San Miguel hotel we were all happy relaxed and excited to be back at the friendly family resort - I'm sad to say this feeling didn't last very long!

On our first evening there it became apparent that after booking to return to the family orientated hotel we loved so much last year we'd some how ended up on a '14 to 30s' club week. I use the term '14 to 30's' as children from as young as 14 were been served alcohol and were behaving loud and leery.

Zorro the evening entertainer on many occasions brought it to everyone's attention over the microphone that the teens in question were exactly that and that none of them were actually wearing adult wrist bands but this just seemed to be a running joke and was even more so when one of the teenage boys came up on stage to join in a drinking game and after Zorro pointed out to the audience that this boy was not actually of legal age to drink still let him join in the alcohol drinking game!

Within our 7 night stay we were woke up in the small hours of the morning four nights out of seven with young drunken boys fighting within the complex after getting paralytically drunk on the all inclusive ale and then going across to Casey's bar afterwards with fellow adults until 2-3am in the morning. They then proceed to walk around the complex all friends again proudly showing off their Black eyes and bandaged hands.

On a different night we were awoke by the fire alarm having been set off, again by drunk adolescents.

We also witnessed from our balcony late one evening a boy no more than 12 become ill and vomit after smoking cannabis - this also seemed to be acceptable as guests were smoking it freely within the resort and after Zorro again (over the microphone) calling out to one guest who was blatantly sat rolling a joint while enjoying the evenings entertainment "You can't smoke wacky backy here mate - not with out me anyway haha" Obviously a joke on Zorro's part but the outcome was for the guest in reference to move further away from the stage and continue.

As well as this the odour of cannabis wreaking out of rooms 107 & 108 on our floor was overpowering and I find it hard to believe that neither staff or cleaners noticed it.

On Thursday evening the entertainment staff had their regular Boogie Night which we witnessed last year and seems to be the highlight of the fortnight. During the nights main event where Zorro and his colleges Dries & Robbie climb up on to the Western Saloon Bar roof & dance/breath fire an accident occurred which could have been fatal & I believe myself to have been extremely lucky none of us were hurt. At the end of their act Robbie swung his fire stick around in the air and let go - the fire stick flew out of his hand over mine & my family's heads and landed about four inch away from my Daughters buggy where she was laid sleeping and next to her was my Nephews buggy which he too was laid fast asleep inside. If that fire stick had landed on the hood of either of our prams if would have gone straight through the plastic and we would never have got the children out in time before they were seriously hurt! Fellow guests tried stamping the fire out without success and Robbie came down from the roof running over stamping on the fire himself clearly panicking as we all were but it was Zorro who eventually put the fire out with a bottle of what I believed to be milk. I was actually videoing the performance and from the recording you can see how close the fire landed to my Daughters pram.

Another incident occurred on Sunday evening - our last night which I felt needed to be reported straight away and as there was no Rep available to speak to & we were leaving at 7.30am the next morning I left a note on the Reps desk informing her of what had happened and telling her I would be making a complaint once home.

On the Sunday evening there was a bouncing castle inflated. The bouncing castle had been up and running a few nights that week and had been looked after by different members of the entertainment staff. Sunday night it was being run by Dries. My Husband paid for my Son & Daughter to go on the bouncing castle as he did the other nights it was inflated. My Daughter got off the bouncing castle several times for the toilet & got back on again as did other children. Upon my son getting off the bouncing castle for the toilet and a drink and getting back on Dries told him to get off. My Son told Dries "my dad has already paid." Dries grabbed my son forcefully by the arm to pull him off. My Son who is seven years old and was obviously scared and intimidated by this grown mans actions, resisted and slapped him away. Dries proceeded to climb on to the inflatable & drag my Son off with his arm & slapping his face from side to side repeatedly said "get off now". Upon seeing this my four year old Daughter came running to us screaming hysterically saying "a man is hitting Clayton". My Mother & Brother went to see what was going on to find Clayton very upset & crying. My Brother asked Dries what had happened and he proceeded to poke my son three times in the chest saying "this boy, this boy he hit me for nothing." My Brother slapped Dries hand away from my hysterical Son and told Dries "You don't touch him no matter what has happened." Dries laughed and said " It is all my fault is it? He is liar look at him smirking!" My Brother then asked "What is he lying about he hasn't told us anything yet, you've been seen slapping him." Dries just laughed and waved his hand in a dismissive manner.
We then left and took the children up to the rooms - this incident not only ruined out last evening but our entire holiday. You don't expect to go on holiday to an all inclusive family orientated resort and have your child assaulted by a member of the entertainment staff. My son cried himself to sleep my Daughter was devastated for him & I didn't sleep either I couldn't wait for the morning to come so we could leave. I am disgusted and extremely upset.

That week was not the family holiday we dreamed of, each new day brought another shocking sight or story to tell. On Wednesday evening during the childrens dancing time where the entertainment Girls bring the kids up on stage for 'Chuckle time' a drunk man pulled down his trousers and mooned the kids on stage showing them his bare backside!

Guests seemed to think screaming and swearing (verbally and with finger gestures) at the entertainment staff and the turns brought in, on and off stage was acceptable in front off all the kids sat watching. It was as if the kids were forgot about and we accidentally turned up at an adult only resort.

I can't believe how happy we all were last year and have so looked forward to returning to relax and chill to have come home so upset and disgusted. The week was a total waste of money and a lot of money at that. I had already picked out my next holiday with Thomsons to Sharm El Sheikh for 2013 but after this nightmare I will not be booking. I am truly devastated with the events that took place.

Once home I wrote to Thomsons complaining only to be ignored. 28 days later I wrote again only to be sent an email reply after 4 weeks saying 'Thomsons are not responsible for the actions of other guests.' I then went through the actual travel agents with my complaint insisting that it be taken seriously but have received no joy!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank mummybee1212
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Returned from this hotel on tuesday the 21st from a week all inclusive with First Choice. Travelled with my mum for a relaxing break which we had! Check in was very fast and friendly, we were on the 2nd floor and was really pleased as we had a sea view which wasn't asked for :-)

Beds were ok and I found the pillows were really comfy but it was chilly and the first time I've had to get a blanket to put over me whilst in bed on holiday. The rooms are basic which were fine and quite small, the staff who work there are really friendly and welcoming.

It's really great what you get considering the price, you have your hotel restaurant where the food is varied every night then your have a chinese buffet restaurant which you just have to book in advance, also the tapas bar open from 6 - 9pm and the western saloon bar where you can get your burgers, hot dogs, nuggets, chips, popcorn, ice cream cones.

You can use two other hotels; Club San Miguel and Hotel Galeion, the pool for this hotel is lovely but was freezing and has a jacuzzi in it and the kids pool is tiny. It is cramped with sunbeds on one side and you have to walk on the edge of the pool to get round, with it being may there was no problem getting a bed any time. There is even a lift to take you down to Cub San Miguel and access to the beach which is right there as well and the Western Saloon.

There was always entertainment of a night and daytime activities for childen. Across the road along the beach is a supermarket and Irish bar if you feel like having a wonder also a sports bar further down.

I would return to this hotel it is brilliant for the price and service! :-)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port de Sant Miguel
#11 of 57 in Santa Eulalia del Rio
Invisa Hotel Ereso
Invisa Hotel Ereso
#2 of 13 in Es Canar

Been to San Miguel Hotel? Share your experiences!