“Surprised hows its bagged so many awards. Definitely not all inclusive and definitely not for Local tourists.”
Review of Ocean Village Club

and 1 more site!
Ocean Village Club
Ranked #6 of 29 Hotels in Diani Beach
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed December 25, 2013

WELCOME
• Found it a bit strange that the first meeting point is the concierge and then the reception is near the beach.
ROOMS
• For a grande deluxe room, the bathroom amenities are poor- no moisturizer or shower cap provided. Quality of shower gel and shampoo was awful.
• As much as the rooms have a big and ‘deep’ balcony if you are in the first row that is blocks A and B, there is not much privacy as people walking by can see through the room. It would have helped to have some other form of natural light/ and air other than just the main door and also perhaps to have the main glass door slightly tinted so that it is not completely see through.
• The bathroom has no natural ventilation which often made it smelly.
• The floor of the shower cubicle had these loose pebbled tiles with no proper drainage visible. I wondered how they cleaned these.
• Room cleanliness on some days was not up to standards. The in room mugs wouldn’t be washed, jug of water on some days would be refilled and some days not…
• Lighting in the bathroom especially in the shower is inadequate
• We were there for 8 nights and felt the sheets and bed linen could have done with a change- we had to request for them to be changed.
FOOD
• Not an all inclusive by any standards. There are no snacks throughout the day and even if one is willing to pay they have no snack/bar menu! I visited the hotel when I was expecting and I often felt hungry or needed snacks to nibble on, especially mid morning. When I asked the kitchen staff they said they don’t do anything like that even if I was willing to pay. The reply I got was ‘but breakfast ends at 10.30 and lunch starts at 1pm’ so you just wait!’
• There is nothing like tea time where pastries and tea time snacks are laid out. You have to go looking and asking for them.
• Getting packed lunch boxes was a mission. It took so much explaining and clarification. I asked if they provide juice and the waiters eyes popped out saying ‘how can we pack juEEce’? I have lived in a variety of hotels in Diani and other places on the Kenyan coast and a lunch box is a standard item but at Ocean Village it was something very complicated.
• The drinks on offer on all inclusive, in particular the beer is of the lowest quality, albeit served by the bottle. For most Kenyans to drink a beer called Allsops is a joke. On some days tonic water and gingerale were chargeable and on other days it was part of the all inclusive.
• Food is a very mediocre affair. The quality is totally not I expected for the price we were paying. It’s the kind of place that serves margarine instead of butter, the most diluted canned juice, and the cheapest brand of food coloring and artificial flavoring and sugar packed as ‘strawberry jam’.
• Desserts on offer were of very poor quality.
• Every single day the aperitif was served with mini pizza. No creativity at all or initiative to make use of local ingredient or serve different things, say like Cassava chips.
• Vegetarian food is very difficult to get. After I made a lot of noise I got some service but the chefs were totally clueless about basic oriental or Indian cuisine. Everyday I had to tell them what they can make for me rather than them being forthcoming and suggesting a menu.
• We were told of a chef coming from Europe but we never even saw anybody going round asking guests if everything was ok.
• Breakfast- the toaster is an antique machine which requires you to manually remove the bread using a stick
• Even when the hotel was quite busy they had the most impractical tiny brass things to serve tea and coffee in. They were never labeled and there was just one set of those serving kettles. I often wondered about the hygiene of those pots. The concept of a having your morning pot of tea or coffee seemed liked rocket science.
• At breakfast time it was a mission to be tea/hot water served by the pot up until the last day. You’d think they’d get it right after a few days.
• I am a vegetarian and for the first 2 days I asked to see the chef and was repeatedly denied access to him.
• On the third day, being totally dissatisfied with the choice of food on offer I made a written request to the chef of what I would like. The restaurant ‘manager’ gave me a piece of paper n pen to write my request. When I was done she just took it without even reading or checking it. When I went to the dining area at 11.30 am the chef was not even aware of my request.
OVERALL SERVICE
• When all my complaints went unanswered the only thing that worked to get some kind of service and attention to requests was me threatening to check out.
• Even then service was so mediocre. All the waiters seemed like trainees with no basic knowledge about anything. It was hard to make them understand the simplest of things whether we spoke in English or Swahili.
• The overall attitude and service by all the staff is very very wanting. They all seemed like a very disgruntled lot. My husband had a leg injury and was walking with crutches. The waiters were inconsiderate to even offer to hold his plate or help him as he goes round the buffet section.
• ‘ Service with a smile’ was a foreign concept to the waiters, unless you had tipped them on day one or you happened to be an ‘international tourist’ and not a domestic one. On the fourth day, the waiter who had been serving us from day one suddenly said ‘ karibu mama, jambo, unatoka Nairobi? Habari ya huko’ I was thinking what changed?
• One waiter it seemed only knew about 5 words of English. Every single time it was ‘Yes mista anything problem’?
• The dining chairs are quite low and uncomfortable so my husband, due to his injury he asked the waiter if he could get a cushion from the sofas. The waiter said ‘ not possible, they are for the sofa’. So we went and got one ourselves! Some service.
• The hotel and kitchen it felt were running without any senior management who would do his rounds, check on guests and make sure everything was working. I never once got to meet the manager or food and beverage manager or anybody asking us if we were ok.
• I am shocked and surprised how this hotel got so many excellent ratings on even an award!
• In summary if you are a Kenyan who has been around and experienced Kenyan hospitality then you are in for a shock. It doesn’t quite cater to local tourists or any special requests and is NOT all inclusive in any way.
OTHER
• The dining room is small and cramped and inadequate to accommodate everyone comfortably. When we were there occupancy must have been only 50% and it still was so congested.
• Other than the pool bar there is no other beach bar or restaurant. It would have been nice to have a bar by the beach where you can have a drink and enjoy the breeze.
• The monkeys and baboons are a total nuisance.
• The beach beds are the most impractical and inconvenient. They are so uncomfortable. And have a separate back support. They have no wheels so to move them is very difficult and you need 2 people to carry them.
• For what we paid I didn’t find it value for money. It is a hotel with 5 star rooms but 2-3 star quality food and service.
• It’s a place with potential if management pays attention to these things.

Room Tip: The front room- Block A and B have a good view of the ocean but they lack privacy. • As much as the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank shreyashah
oceanvillageclub, Director of property owner's company at Ocean Village Club, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Ocean Village mission statement says : " A happy Client is our goal ".

Naturally ,reading this Client's comments, the Directors jumped on their chairs and asked for an explanation from the Manager ( whose job is on the line....).

Here are some of the Manager's comments :

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

................... we have a tip that she might have came from.................. ( competitor's name ) , we have reasons to believe so.

We tried to approach them several times, they were just here with a mission, to destroy !

With guests like this, what to say ?

( Joao Carvalho- Manager ).

According to Trip Advisor' 95% of Ocean Village clients like Ocean Village.

95% is not enough. We aim at 99% happy clients.

We accept that there will always be the occasional 1% that might have his own agenda.

One year ago we had a client that bitterly complained about airconditioning.

Before leaving the hotel he came to the office and offered to sell the airconditioners he imports into Kenya..................................

We take this opportunity to thank all those clients that have , so far , given us a 95% thumbs up.

We also take this opportunity to thank all those Clients that have suggested improvements,

At Ocean Village we listen. We are looking into suggestions and, whenever possible-practical , we will do our best to implement them.

Rest assured : ." a happy Client is our goal " !

The Directors.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Nice warm staff, laid back atmosphere, great rooms, had a great weekend solo by the sea. The rooms are simple, the decor simple but beautiful, bathrooms new and the very clean. Great view to the sea, clean waters, no stones pure white sand beach. On the downside the food could be a bit diversified.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank MiguelGaspar
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We just checked out yesterday and are already planning on going back soon. It was a wonderful experience and we were amazed by the friendly staff and service, even for Kenyan standards which as we came to know are quite high… The hotel's environment, beach, garden, gazebo's, bar and restaurant are tastefully designed and you feel immediately at home. Rooms are very clean and recently renovated (at least the Deluxe rooms) and the bed was really big and comfortable. The size of the hotel is also ideal, not too big not too small. There is a peaceful and relaxed vibe all over the place and the view of the ocean is breathtaking. Wonderful place to relax after a safari. You can enjoy the animation they offer but they are not pushy and respect your wish of being let alone if so is the case. The food was also varied and fresh with wonderful meat and great pizzas and pasta. There is something for everyone! As advised by the hotel management: never feed the cute looking monkeys! We heard that at hotels nearby they became a pest and here they are still being kept under control by the pool security. Thanks to the whole staff and management, you are doing a great job and hope to see you soon again!

Room Tip: Choose a Deluxe room if possible…it's worth the extra bucks!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Laura_Ruben2013
Mombasa, Kenya
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Held my birthday party in this paradise hotel and it was the best i have ever had since birth.For the best weddin,anniversary,birthday party,this is the place.The rooms are super clean with a beach view.Watching the sunrise and sunset was so romantic.The traditional dancers at dinner time brought back the Africanish theme to me.The beach is so clean and love making the morning beach walks.I had the most relaxing holiday if my life!!!BRAVO!!!

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank mngereri
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Hotel itself is very beautiful, nice architecture with lovely garden and nice beach. Staff is very helpful and smiling. Rooms are big and clean. However there are small details that might irritate you.There are shampoo and body wash in the amenities, but no hair conditioner or body lotion not to mention inject repellant. All inclusive doesn't include sparkling water or tonic. All the sun beds are reserved well before 9 am. WiFi was down for 2 days. White wine is ok, but red wine is a disaster. "Gym" is a joke. With a little extra efort this hotel could be excellent but at the moment is not quite there yet.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sari L
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Hi everyone,

my husband and I have just returned from our holiday in Kenya. We stayed at the Ocean Village Club for 9 nights. The place is just beautiful - it is possibly one of the most beautiful holiday hotels I've been to. I loved the architecture of the resort, esp. of the Deluxe rooms. The positive thing is that the resort is small and very quite and cozy. It has a lovely garden, a swimming pool with a nearby bar and an a la carte restaurant. The staff were very kind, always smiling and ready to help. The resort and the rooms were always clean. The food included a wide choice of fish, meat, vegetables and fruits. There was also quite a nice choice of drinks at the pool bar. We tried also the massage and a diving trial or volleyball and enjoyed swimming in the pool early in the morning. All in all, we really enjoyed our stay.

However, I'd like to point out a few notes:
1.)
One day, the AC in our room broke down. We reported it and were given a promise, that it will be fixed shortly. After my second call one hour later, the maintenance guys came to fixed it. As they were working on the roof and we didn't see them leaving nor the AC still did not work, I phoned again to find out if it was fixed. The guy at the reception promised to let me know. However, after nearly 3 hours since my initial call (and with the outside temperature about 28 degrees), I came in person to reception. After 45 minutes waiting at the reception, we finally got a new room. I would had aporeciated if at least someone had informed us and the room change was quicker as we had informed the reception, that the heat in the room was unbearable.

2.)
Most of the guests were coming to the beach quite early in the morning - at about 8.30am. It happened nearly every morning, that the sunbeds or the beach towels were not ready at this time, leaving all of us waiting for 20-30 mins for them to be ready to use.

3.)
There's a wide choice of one day trips or safaris, for many of them you need to leave at about 7am. The breakfast were served from 6.30am. Once we went on such trip, we found out the dining room not ready - there were just fruits and some bread and drinks to chose from. The offer did not widen up till the time we left for the trip.

4.)
Two days before the end of our stay we got a call from reception rushing us to pay for the accomodation, because they have there their cashier. We found it a bit strange, but anyway,we came in at agreed time. The cashier was not there and we were asked to come a few hours later. So we did, the cashier was not there again.... We were asked to come for the third time.... The all strange process has just begun - somehow nobody knew how much we need to pay....Finally we paid for the room and all our other expenses. No surprisingly,few hours later we got a call from reception asking us to come and pay for the internet connection, which we already had paid for....It seemed as there was some kind of mess with our expenses.

Anyway, the above mentioned situations did not ruin our stay,I just found it a bit strange when seeing all the staff working around the place the whole days and being helpful, these situations could have been managed better.
On the other side, when we needed to print few pages, despite the non working guests computers, they kindly let us use the one in their office.
We loved the resort and would recommend it to our friends and come back again for sure.
Zuzana

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank zuzpet
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Great place to stay, the club facilities are cozy yet luxurious. The architecture of the entire club is unique, taking advantage of the coastal culture with a modern twist. The rooms are spacious and clean and the finishing is superb. Food is interesting and delicious with a lot of variety, not to mention the interesting choice of names for the cocktails which local residents will find very amusing. Friendly and welcoming staff who have no bias in service between international and local residents. A special tribute to Grace, Elijah, Ali, Alfa, Fatuma, Rashid and others whose names might have slipped my mind who made our stay at the club memorable. The club management is thoughtful to guests with special occasions where they provide lovely unexpected surprises. Great value for money!

Room Tip: Grand deluxe tropical room is spacious and has a good view of the beach.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple