Flamboyant
$170
$142
$112
  • Pool
Jacaranda Indian Ocean Beach Resort(Diani Beach)(Great Value!)
$115
$101
Hotels.com
  • Pool
$160
$156
$476
Afrika Pearl & Spa(Diani Beach)(Great Value!)
$96
PrideInn Express Diani(Diani Beach)(Great Value!)
$38
TripAdvisor
Waterlovers Beach Resort(Diani Beach)
TripAdvisor
All reviewscave restaurantali barboursforty thievesbeach barvolleyball netgreat boutiquehome from homethieves barnice poolbush babiesskydiveskyfariwifidianikenyawayne
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 25, 2011

While we originally baulked at the price of a stay here (and that's before we realized that the price was per person, not per room), by the end of our vacation we all decided that it was well worth it!

The property is a large tranquil beachfront house, a welcome departure from the large resorts that dot Diani Beach. The common areas are beautiful. The rooms are a bit plain, but well stocked with everything you need. The staff is phenomenal and caters to your ever request. The can even call someone to the hotel to provide spa services! Dinner was delicious, although half of us did become ill the following morning...

The location is excellent; miles of beautiful beaches in either direction, right next to the Forty Thieves Bar if you'd like a change of pace (or watching a football or rugby match)

And, if you're a snooker fan, the snooker room is superb!

We're already planning our return!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AViaganteSemPorto
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Had the privilege to stay here for 7 nights at the end of January, and it was truly fantastic. It is like staying in someones house (a very beautiful house) and the service was better than any 5 star hotel I have every stayed in. It is located on a beautiful stretch of Diani beach with white sand and amazing blue and green ocean. They have a great beach bar called Fourty Thieves (with evening discos which are fun on Friday and Saturday) and an amazing restaurant called the Cave, as it is actually built into a cave where you can watch the stars while having your meal! You can also have the cook make your meal at the hotel, where they will make the evening so romantic with candles around the pool. Food was amazing and the staff are second to none! Big thank you to Thaddeus, Florence and Nancy for all their hard work and for being the most friendly people we have met in ages!! TIP: Have Thaddeus make you a Dawa!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank londontravellingbugs
Reviewed November 10, 2010

We went to Kenya for a 9 day short holiday, 4 days in Masai Mara and 5 days in Flamboyant and it was wonderful!!! for those who hate large hotels full of tourists.... this was absolute heaven. I felt like at my own beautiful villa with all the great service you can imagine. Breakfast served on the terrace, lunches in ali barbours beach restaurant, and dinners in cave restaurant... great great great. Highly recommended. Staff was amazing and Nancy is very lovely, caring and so helpful.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Leska31
Reviewed March 19, 2010

The place itself is an estate on the ocean. You feel like you are at a rich friend's house. There are restaurants that are fantastic. There is no pressure shopping at stores of all types.....jewellery, Kenyan/African souvenirs that people back home expect you to bring back ( masks, carvings, you name it, and CHEAP!!! ) The beach is IN-CRED-IBLE ! It is VAST, WHITE and empty! I kept taking pictures of the huge empty beach, just because I was so amazed. The water is turquoise and calm. You can snorkel in front of your room. We rented kayaks every day for hours, whipped up and down the shore. The hotel has a bar beside it's property right on the beach. Great sea food, sitting around at night, watching the ocean, sipping a Tusker. The food at the hotel is absolutely 5 star, and inexpensive. For about $80, you can have a special, once in a life time "romantic" dinner in your own tookel on the beach. The starter alone is lobster and the biggest shrimp I have ever seen. I earned enough points that night for many years to come. Beside the property is the Ali Barbour's Cave restaurant. ( google this to get the hotel web site, easiest way to look at it ) You dine inside an open cave while looking up at the stars, as there is a natural opening at the top.

We safaried, elephants, giraffes, the whole works for a half day trip, total $100 for priceless memories and photos. We are in Africa, so you might as well. Camel rides on the beach, glass bottom boats, market shopping, everything. People who have lived in Kenya go here as opposed to the bigger spots. They all know where Diani Beach is. There is a lady there named Nancy, who will really take care of you...make sure the cab price is fair, make sure you are seeing what you should, absolutely fantastic person. Your wives will really like her, great person. She is definetly part of your time there, and you will be spoiled by her and the staff.

I have been around a bit, as some of you have. I have been back about 10 days now, so the CTO honeymoon is over. This was an incredible experience for a great price. I know we all have some cool adventures, and I have a few more lined up, ( diving in the Red Sea ) but I thought I'd let you all know about this place. Very Canadian friendly. It was an amazing experience that we won't likely ever be able to experience again.

If you want a quiet, private place, and a gentle taste of Africa's wildlife and climate, as well as absolutely no worries, as it has been recc'ed by myself and many other Canadians before me, this place is a great unique trip. Lots have also gone solo, infact that's what most the other contingent did, awesome time.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nurupirie
Reviewed December 28, 2009

This was a big holiday for us (my partner and three kids - ages 10, 15, and 16). It had been a very long time since we'd had proper vacation, and we all needed a break. I researched the options in Diani Beach thoroughly and knew what I wanted: sun, water, some action for the kids without intrusion on the tranquility we all craved. I was worried about being kept awake by noisy discos at night and early morning pool aerobics. When making my booking, I asked a thousand questions, trying to cover all my bases. But you never know until you arrive if you've found your perfect paradise or made a terrible mistake...

In this case, I am delighted to report, we found paradise. From the moment we stepped out of our taxi (efficiently prearranged by hotel staff to pick us up at Mombasa Airport) I knew we'd hit paydirt. The always friendly, kind staff met us with cold & delicious passionfruit cocktails and proceeded to make us feel right at home. Our rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. The communal spaces were relaxed and inviting, the pool was perfect and the beach, only steps away, just beautiful. Really: paradise.

What the other reviews failed to get across (to me, anyway) was that Flamboyant used to be the family home of a man called George. He built the house for his family in the 1980s, and my guess is spent the next 20 years entertaining an every expanding circle of friends who must have been eager to spend some of their holiday time with him. Once his kids were grown, he decided to move to a smaller place nearby and convert his home into a boutique hotel. Occasionally, we ran into him as he busied himself with odd tasks around the place. He's an affable man, friendly and warm, as were every member of the staff. In fact, by the end of the first day, we felt so much at home that the whole place seemed like our home. Funny how you can delude yourself on holiday! I hadn't realized that there are only 12 rooms in total. It feels like a home, not a hotel.

Nancy, the go-to gal who seems to be in charge of everything, was as kind as she could be. Johosophat and Vitalas, who looked after all our meals and drinks, friendly and utterly professional. The chef came to see us at least once a day to make sure we were happy with the food (he should have known from the plates licked clean after every meal). The women who cleaned our rooms each day laundered our clothes without ever being asked (at no extra charge.) My children were dumbstruck to find their t-shirts folded on their beds at the end of each day, and needed deprogramming to ensure they wouldn't expect similar treatment at home.

The boys played squash, snooker and went windsurfing. We arranged a day of scuba diving which was great fun. Dolphins swam by our boat, we saw lots of sting rays, parrot fish, grouper, moray eels, beautiful corals, and had a delicious lunch of fresh crab on Malindi island. Every day we swam on the beach just in front of the hotel, which is about 50 meters from the popular Ali Barbour's beach bar. Yes, there are beach boys and (mostly ertsatz) Masai tribesmen selling all sorts of trinkets on the beach. But they accept a polite "no, thank you" and were always perfectly friendly and polite. The beach is beautiful. The pictures on the website don't do it justice. And so warm!

We were there for Christmas. Listened to carols sung by a Kenyan choir at the beach bar, and swam in the sea in the dark. Just magical. Special dinners were presented with great care for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. We had to insist that the staff went home to their families, and were happy when they skipped off for the night. Then, we had the whole place to ourselves, feeling completely and utterly at home. Most drinks were included in our all-inclusive package, but the bar remained open on an honor system even when the staff weren't around. We found a good bottle of grappa on a high shelf and helped ourselves! Bliss.

I'm wracking my brain for some criticism. Hmmmm. I have none. I've never written a review for Trip Advisor before, but let me tell you I am a fiercely critical person and would be happy to give fair warning if I felt that it was warranted. In this case, I feel compelled to write because the comments I'd read before travelling did not ease my mind enough to put my concerns at bay when I booked this holiday. So if you are considering travel to this part of Kenya, here's my two cents: take plenty of sunscreen, pack lightly, leave your troubles behind and dive in. It's wonderful.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family