“Amazing place, you will want to go back!”

Baobab Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Diani Beach
Reviewed August 22, 2010

I visited the Baobab Beach at the end of June with my Boyfriend. I have always wanted to visit Kenya and after lots of research we chose the Baobab. We was not disappointed at all!

The weather in June was a big worry for us as it is there winter, we had 3 full days of rain in 2 weeks and it rained early morning then went Boiling from lunch time, it was too hot!! I would go back at this time of year as there is no way i could cope with the heat January and February as it is there hottest months.
The staff are so friendly they have very little, however they are so happy and they will go out of there way to make your holiday so special.

The food is brilliant, there are different things to choose from every day, sometimes having themed evenings like Italian and african.
The place is spotlessly clean, beautiful ground and the rooms are really nice.

We went on a 2 day Safari booked with JT safaris to Tsavo. I strongly reccommend you book with this company. Julius the owner will meet you outside the hotel and take you to his office to choose you safari. You can email him before you go to arrange this. He is well organised and very friendly. He is also cheaper than the Tour opperators. We had our own private jeep and people that went with Polmans (Thomsons and first choice use) were crammed in a bus with upto 8 people in there. You get a far better quality safari with JT. Make sure you have the correct JT (www.julius-safaris.com) Julius Tact Safaris as there are companies using this name and pretending to be Jt becaause he has such a good reputation in Diani Beach, and other companies try to steal his business. After our safari Julius called us to see how we enjoyed it. We arranged a couple of days later to pay him and took us to his little office and gave us wood carving gifts to take home

The annimation team are also very funny, full of life and a little crazy! They will certainly have you smiling around the pool.

One of the best things i thing i can also say about this hotel is the nature around the Hotel arranging from Cheeky Monkeys, Baboons who love food! Bush babies, cats, to very wierd looking insects, which we didnt really see alot of and they are harmless.

Overall this hotel is one of the best Hotels ive been to and i have travelled to many places. You will certainly get what i call, The Kenyan Bug, because you will want to go back. I caught it and were off angain to the Baobab April 2011 and we cant wait!! Have fun!

Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lipstick22
There are newer reviews for Baobab Beach Resort & Spa

Reviewed August 21, 2010

My husband and I travelled with Thompson, we upgraded to Premium on the flights, and had more legroom. Some people however upgraded on the day, without paying the extra. It was a reasonably quick transfer from airport, however, getting through immigration is something else. We were given incorrect forms by Thompson flight attendents, and consequently all 200 odd passengers were then scrambling for pens to complete the new forms at immigration.

Once we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted with friendly, helpfull staff and cold, wet flannels and cocktails which were lovely. We booked Kole Kole, and had a lovely room with a sea view and lovely balcony.

Staff at the hotel were wonderful, so genuine and friendly, security guards, cleaners, resturaunt staff, everyone greeted you with a smile for the whole 2 weeks.

The reason I gave 4 stars for cleanliness was that our cleaner wasn't the best, and didn't really make much effort in the room, however, other cleaners in other rooms were much better, and actually, cleanliness in the hotel generally was excellent, the communal toilets were some of the cleanest I've seen in hotels.

The food in the hotel was excellent for all inclusive, well cooked, and a nice mix of fish, meats, salads and veggie meals. The Chef's were friendly and helpful and told you about the food. Breakfast was great, eggs cooked to order. Fresh fruit was lovely, but wouldn't advise carrying fruit outside of the resturaunt as baboons and monkeys would follow and snatch food from people's hands.

We went on safari to Tsavo East/West and separate safari to Massai Mara, both with JT Safari's. We enjoyed both, but the Massai Mara was absolutely out of this world. We stayed at a tented camp Kichwa Tembo in Massai for 2 nights (separate review to follow) This was an amazing experience.
We stayed at Ashnil Aruba and Kilaguni in Tsavo east and west. Kilaguni is like a 5 star hotel, and was absolutely wonderful, and the setting overlooks the water hole, and some rooms have views of Kilimanjaro. We would not hesitate to use JT Safari again, and would certainly recommend him, and it keeps the money in the local economy. Will review JT safari separately, as there are several people who also use the name JT safari, so make sure it is the right one. His email address is www.julius-safaris.com.

The transfer as I have already said was fairly quick, you do travel through Mombassa, and you see poverty and living conditions that you may never have encountered before. First of all, I felt sad and guilty for everything we have in this Country, however, after doing the safari's, and meeting some local people you see that despite 70% unemployment, the people are so industrious, and set up their own businesses selling produce, so if you can buy from local people, this really helps them.

This does however bring me to the beach. The beach is one of the most stunning I have ever seen. There is white sand, blue turquoise shallow water, and it is fairly warm, however, we spent about 15 minutes in total on the beach over 3 separate occassions. The beach boys are unrelenting, and at first it was ok to just say no if you didn't want to buy anything, however as the days went by it became more of a chore to go on the beach, as once you said no to one person, another would come along and you would have to start the whole process again. I saw one man being followed by 5 beach boys at once, and it was usual to have at least 3 with each person or couple. They are just trying to make a living, however, their sales technique is intense, and means that you can't really enjoy a quiet romantic walk.
The security guard did escort us back to the hotel on one occassion as we were getting alot of hassle.
I have been to Cuba, and the beach sellers put their stalls up, and allow you to browse at your leisure, and they have much more custom. I wish the beach boys would adopt this technique.

The security guards at the hotel were very helpful and attentive. They would always ask you where you were going, and give any advice, they were the nicest security guards I have ever met, especially on the front gates.

The animation team were very active around the kole kole pool, so it was a little noisy, which when you have an infinity pool, and the kole kole area is a little more exclusive and expensive, you would think that this would be the more relaxing area. The Italian girls pretty much ignore the English people in the hotel. The Kenyan animation staff talk to everyone.

Overall, this hotel was excellent, and we had been able to use the beach and relax and walk as we wished, I would have given this hotel 5 stars.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank curlynirvana
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I went with my husband and two daughters, aged 18nand 15. We stayed in the Kole Kole section in two superior rooms which were very spacious and comfortable. I had upgraded direct with the hotel as Thomson were charging about twice the price if booked through them. We also uprgraded out flight seats to premier which was worth it.
Overall we had a very enjoyable stay, however, I would point out that the beach boys are a nuisance and if you want to go and sit on the beach on a sun bed, think again. There is absolutely no way you would do this. Not because the vendors are nasty, its just they hassle you continuously and if you get rid of one lot another lot come along. We often went for a walk in the evening which was fine, we just kept saying no thanks and walking on but it still felt such a chore.
The food was very good, I don't eat much meat and there was always plenty of vegetarian choices available. We didn't suffer any rummy trouble, apart from a slight reaction to the maleria tablets (we took marolone which was fab).
There was a good mixture of nationalities which was nice, german, dutch, italian, canadian, french and english.
I had a massage in the spa which was interesting! More like an intense sports massage. My daughters also had one and seemed to enjoy it, so perhaps mine was just a one off.
The entertainment was fine, some of the shows were better than others.
The staff are probably the icing on the cake for this hotel. They are so lovely and willing to help. Everywhere you go you get greeted with Jambo which means hello. We didn't tip as we went along as there are so many working there. However, we did leave some money at the end in the tip box in reception (hopefully it does get to the staff!!).
We did go on safari to the Masai Mara and stayed at a tented site called Kichwa Tempo. I booked this through J T Safaris before we went having read previous reviews. Firstly,Julius is the person you need to book with. We didn't have to pay until we returned, he really is the most lovely man (read previous reviews on his site to get further info) His wb site is www.julius-safaris.com. The safari itself was just unbelievable. Everything and more than want what we expected. The camp was superb. Our guide was lovely and knowledgeable, couldn'tt have aked for more. We saw the big 5, which included black rhino and leopard so we were very lucky. Without a doubt I would recommend everything about the safari, we had no moans at all.
So overall to sum up our holiday. We had a great time, lovely people, very clean, good food, accommodation great, monkeys hilarious, safari fab but let down was beach.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank linka5
Reviewed August 15, 2010

travelled with thomson holidays travelled premium as wanted extra leg room on long flight. Flight good and to time,out going flight from Manchester better than incoming, staff more attentive and pleasnat.
Ariive at hotel, be prepared for journey from airport being prolonged due to having to cross ferry. Arrival was pleasnat, towels and a drink immediately served to you, short check in then taken immediately to room.
We had booked a luxery sea bungalow for the 3 of us and were not disappointed. King size bed and single bed for daughter, not overcrowed as room is decent size. Vey large bathroom with the largest shower cubicle ever. Fridege, not stocked in room and tea and coffee facilities resocked daily.
Room was immaculately cleaned daily and the bed turned back and towels replenished every evening.
The bungalows are situated in the Maridadi area of the hotel,probably the quieter area. There aree 3 areas in total, the Kole kole- large rooms with 2 double beds in, alot of italien guests here. Activities seem to be based here. The baobab area-older accomodation. There are 3 associated restaurants 1 to each area, you can use any. We tended to stick to the Maradadi though the food themes are the same for each. There is a different theme each night we were there for 2 weeks and no 2 nights had the exact same food. The food was always beautifully presented and well cooked no upset stomachs.
The pools were the cleanest l've seen the boys were out at 6 daily cleaning them thouroughly along with the grounds. The staff throughout were friendly - genuinely, a special thankyou to Diana and Caroline inthe Maradadi restaurant.
The monkeys were entertaining, just don't carry food.
My husband used the dive facility on site, The Crab. He was very impressed with the facilities and instructors. Advises to make sure you have anti sickness pills as it can be choppy and quite a few divers had the old sea sickness.
We went on a 3 day safari with Kings safari to Tsavo east and amboseli includin a ballooon flight. see separate review. Would advise you book as we did independently otherwise if you book through travel agent you have to vaacte room.
Animation team wee good, did not bother you to join in if you didn't wish to. The show each eveing was professional and a different show everynight for 2 weeks
Overall we thorougly enjoyed the holiday, l would recommend this hotel to anyone and we will certainly be returning.
Tips: get visa in advance saves hassle at airport, don't forget money for exit visa. We used Kenyan shillings.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank ad803
Reviewed August 13, 2010

We stayed at the Baobab hotel in July. We were warmly welcomed with a cold drink and was shown to our Bungalow. It had a king size bed but when they realized I was travelling with my 13 year old son they put a proper bed in the room for him to sleep in and it was no problem at all.
The room was large and spacious although very dark but hey switch on the light!! The bathroom was rather old looking and A LOT of black mould around the shower but we did not moan and I'm sure if we did they would have certainly done something about it.
The grounds were very very clean and well groomed but watch out for the huge black millipedes their gross ! and of course the Baboons and monkeys they are so funny but respect that they are wild animals especially the baboons.
The Hotel had 3 parts to it with 3 great pools probably the Maridadi pool was the most Tranquil but because I had a 13 year old we spent all our time at the baobab pool as it was more child friendly.(translated noisier). There was plenty plenty of sun loungers so you do not need to get up early to get your towels out !!
The food was very good typical of an all inclusive buffet but watch out for the chicken as sometimes under cooked and I think maybe the cause of bad belly. I am never ill on Holiday but I was caught out this time and so was my son.
Staff at the hotel are so friendly and hard working. I did have a massage in the spa and it was not very good so I would not recommend that.
We did a Safari with JT safaris (separate review) Fantastic Fantastic Fantastic. Dont go with Thomson or first choice !!!
I could go on and on this holiday was superb and we met some great people.
Oh and don't forget to go to Ali Barbour an amazing restaurant in a CAVE don't worry they supply a free taxi that is a must.

• Stayed: July 2010
4  Thank Tracey67
Reviewed August 7, 2010

We have just returned from 2 weeks at the Baobab, we had a fantastic holiday and cannot fault the hotel.

The grounds are fabulous and kept impeccably clean, there is always someone sweeping leaves from the ground etc, the moneys provide brilliant entertainment, be careful not to leave ANYTHING unattended! Our room in the Boabab section of the hotel was basic what we were expecting but it was very clean.

The food in the buffet restaurant was magnificent, there was a massive variety of salads, meats. fish desserts etc and they always had different theme nights on which made sure you didnt get board, there is always snacks etc available during the day. We ate in the italian a la carte on our last night and the food was fabulous, I had lobster and my partner had fillet steak as well as starters and desserts the bill came to around £40. We also went to Ali Barbours cave a local restauarant 5 minutes down the road, the restaurant is outstanding it is so romantic, open air and you sit and have your meal under the stars, again 3 course meal inc. drinks came to around £40 , they have a courtesy bus and will come and pick you up and drop you off at the hotel again.

The beach is gorgeous but the beach boys can be a little annoying, however if you are very firm with them they will leave you alone, I really felt for them as they are trying desperatly to earn a living.

The people in the hotel are so friendly, no one will walk past you without saying 'Jambo' they are geniunely nice people who just want you to have a good time. The night time entertainment is mainly african dancing which is great, the acrobats were fantastic.

We booked our safari through JT Safaris (see seperate review) I would not book with anyone else, reading his reviews will explain why, it also means you do not have to check out of your hotel room.

To sum it up on the last last night the hotel manager came and asked us if we had enjoyed our stay and if there was anything they could improve, being completely honest with him I had to say I wouldn't change a thing. It really is a great hotel, you wont be disappointed .

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Foleyfoley
Reviewed August 4, 2010

Everything about this hotel was fabulous. Welcoming cocktails on arrival.

The food was great. A wide choice and different themes every night.

The staff were very friendly and always willing to help.

The hotel was busy but there was always plenty of quiet areas to relax during the day. Plenty of different pools and restaurants to choose from.

The resort has around 4 different species of monkey and some baboons roam around the hotel making the holiday an unforgettable experience. Some may feel intimidated by the fairly large baboons, however, they don't bother you unless you ar daft enough to carry food around the resort.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple