“Second time - excellent”

Baobab Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 29 Hotels in Diani Beach
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Wow this hotel just gets better, we spent my 60th birthday here last year and re-booked within two weeks of returning home, it is five star all the way. First of all the flight was incredible, never thought we would be flying on the Dreamliner, excellent. On arrival at the hotel we were greeted with many of the same friendly staff, everyone down to the gardeners always greet you with Jambo. After settling in to our Superior room we decided we would attend the welcome meeting, so glad we did as after the Rep had given us all the info about trips, hotel etc we were then invited into the gardens where drinks and snacks were set up and we were introduced to the new General Manager Sylvester, a very nice man. The following day we were invited to a returners evening, Cocktails and meal, very nice. This hotel is 5 star all the way, with three choices of restaurant and fresh food cooked as you wait. If as most people you are heading to Kenya for a Safari I highly recommend JT Safaris, see separate review, he has a new office opposite the Diana Shopping Centre and will send transport to take you to his office to discuss what safari you would like to choose offering lots of recommendations, we chose Goveners Camp in the Masai Mara, this was five star all the way, fantastic. I could talk about our holiday forever, why not give it a try, you won't regret it.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

We flew from Gatwick on the Dreamliner, the plane was lovely, airy and much more room than a normal plane. The transfer from Mombasa airport and Likoni ferry was a eye opener, it took about 2 hours. When we arrived we were greeted with a cold flannel and drink which was needed. Soon as I walked into the hotel I new I has made the right choice, it was beautiful, every member of staff saying Jambo. We were shown quickly to our room, we had a superior sea view in the Baobab section of the hotel. As the porter was putting the cases down we had a monkey looking through the patio doors. The room had every thing you needed, and was lovely and clean. Next morning we met with our wedding planner Renson Adoyo, I had sent him quiet a few Emails before our arrival. What a lovely man, made us feel so relaxed showed us the 3 locations where you can get married, showed us the restaurant looking over the sea, we chose colour of the flowers, cake, al a carte menu. when the day came for the wedding, Renson kept me so calm he had every thing organised, the masai mara tribe walked me from my room to where the ceremony was taking place, we had A photographer, dvd and in the evening had a guitarist. Every thing about the wedding was out of this world, thanks to Renson and to family and friends who came with us to make the day so special. All areas of the hotel were spotlessly clean, We spent most of time round the Baobab pool and never had any trouble finding 8 sun beds together, and we didn't have to get up a silly time to reserve them. All staff from Waiters, Gardeners, Cleaners, reception, bar men and animation team, went out of their way to make sure you were happy. Food in the restaurant was the best all inclusive food I have had any where, the choice was huge and we all found some thing lovely to eat every day. One of our party is a vegetarian and very fussy and he was spoilt for choice with the selection of food. Drinks were very good I had a few glasses of white wine in the two weeks we were there, and the cocktails were good my favourite being pina colada. There are a lot of monkeys around and they made my holiday, I could of watched them all day. there were people shouting at them when the monkeys were no where near them, if you don't like animals don't go to Kenya, the hotel was built on their home so we are intruding where they live. The Kenyan people are the most friendly people I have every come across. I will definitely go back to the Baobab, I miss it so much. Jane and Andy.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jayneoxfordshire
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Just got back from our 2 week honeymoon at the Baobab and I can honestly say its the best place I've ever been. The resort is very well designed with the guest in mind and all the staff are extremely friendly and work exceptionally hard to ensure you have a great time. All rooms are well set out with an African/modern theme and are cleaned daily to a very high standard. We also did a 3 night safari to tsavo national park which I can highly recommend to anyone.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gaz S
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We went to the Baobab resort for our honeymoon in February 2014. The staff were very friendly and welcoming. We upgraded the room to the Deluxe twin room and it was fantastic, there was wine and fruit in the room for arrival (along with a monkey looking in the window at us!)

The food was lovely and there wasn't one occasion where we were struggling to find something that we liked.

Set right on the beach with lots of monkeys running around (who are very entertaining giving staff the run around!) the beach looks fantastic but you will defiantly get targeted by beach boys trying to sell all sorts which is a shame.

All staff were really friendly, polite and even the entertainment team didn't constantly mither you to get involved in all of the sports/activities going on during the day. Although if you wanted too there was plenty to do! Whilst talking about the staff, kenya often gets a bad name and people telling you to be careful etc, on our first day the staff came to find us around the pool to tell us that we had left the safe open!

We stayed for one week doing a 2 day safari in the middle, we booked the safari after the holiday so we didn't need to check out when going on safari. You can save one nights cost if you book the safari as part of the week however for one night personally we didn't think it was worth the bother of checking out etc.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our holiday and would recommend the country and resort to anyone. We will do a separate review on the safari which really made the holiday and is a must do whilst your in Kenya!

Lee & Jodie

3  Thank Lee K
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed here in January with my mother and aunt to celebrate my aunts 70th birthday. I had contacted the hotel in advance to arrange something for her birthday, had a reply from Charles, but sadly nothing materlialized. Apart from that, the resort was great. We only had two full days there due to safari and other tours we booked, but those two days were wonderful. We spent most of our time at the beautiful infinity pool looking out over the ocean and could have stayed for weeks! The rooms we had prior to our safari were not amazing, but adequate, however when we returned we had been moved to another part of the hotel and the rooms were much better. We enjoyed the food and tried all the restaurants, which while similar, had different options every night. The fresh pasta station was a favourite. All in all we had a truly incredible time in Kenya and would return to the Baobab. My only concern was that I left my sweater in the restaurant at 10pm one night, when I asked at the desk at 5am the next morning, it had disappeared. I did ask at reception a couple more times during my stay, but alas, it was never to be seen again, the only negative part of the trip.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 3, 2014

I'll start with 2 questions:

1, Do you have an unreasonable disliking for Italians or Russians?
2, Do all your meals have to include ice cream as standard?

If either of these questions you answer with a YES, then this hotel may not be for you.

Personally I love Italians, i think they are great people, yeah Russians are a little err "brash" but they are new to the tourism thing so they will get used to it. However the majority of guests here are British, Italian and Russian, with a few French, German and American around.

And as for ice cream, well its available, but is NOT including in the inclusive price, its costs £4 per bowl!!!

Anyway.....

The Resort is spread over 3 hotels, The Maridad, and Baobab and the Kole Kole, we stayed in the Kole Kole.

We were taken to our room quickly after check in and the room was very big, and massive bed, large screen TV with all the usual choice of channels, electronic safe, 2 showers, we were very happy, however we had booked a sea view, and the view we had was poor to say the least, we spoke to the rep and she said that our room would be changed when we returned from Safari as we were going the next day, the room would have had a sea view when it was built but tree growth meant it was no longer a sea view room. When we returned the new room was exactly the same size but with a great view.

Bed quality was OK, they are very hard, which for most people is fine, I have a bad back to need a slightly software bed, this meant I had a bit of a stiff back for a while in the mornings, but nothing too bad.

Each hotel has its own Pool, Bars, Restaurants, etc and you are free to use all the facilities in all the hotels, The pools at the Maridad and the Kole Kole are the better pools, that's not the say the one at the Baobab is bad, its just not as nice. The Entertainment team are always working hard to do things, whether its, beach volleyball, waterpolo, yoga, step arobics, etc, they are smart polite and friendly, as are all the staff, they were all excellent.

The food was always excellent quality and plenty of choice (other than ice cream), I don't have a strong stomach abut had no issue at all with the food, breakfast was both cold and hot choices, with omletes being made in front of you to order, lunch and evening meals had lots of starters, salads, and mains choices form at least 3 or 4 different countries every meal. There was at least 1 pasta choice, Indian choice, African and normal stuff, meat and fish was cooked freshly in front of you. Deserts were a choice of fruit and cakes. plenty of fruit juices are also available.

Evening entertainment was good, it had a seperate stage area away from the rooms, with its own bar, mostly dance numbers, or acrobatics displays but always good quality, and much better than anything i've seen in europe.

The Resort is on a public beach, and it is a beautiful beach however it has 1 major issue, because its public, anyone can use it, this means the minute your foot goes on the sand you a seller trying to sell you something. Its a shame that its not a private beach as it would be used alot, but its not, You have to time it right to get to the sea. Which is amazingly warm by the way!

Overall a very nice hotel, with a full little niggles but nothing that should stop you from going there.

A few things to remember:

1, The transfer from the airport will take 2 hours if your lucky!
2, if your travelling with Thompson, you will need to pay an exit tax, you can pay in £, $ or Shillings, we paid in shillings and it was 3700 each.

6  Thank MikeBuck
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My wife and I have just returned from the Baobab beach resort, Kenya. This was our second time at this hotel and it was just as brilliant as the first time. Nothing negative to say about the place. For an all inclusive hotel the food was excellent. The staff were all first class and the hotel itself was spotlessly clean in every respect. I would have no hesitation in reccommending this hotel to anyone and although I have now been there twice, I would happily go again. BRILLIANT. One thing I must mention is Ali Barbours Restaurant which is a local restaurant about ten minutes drive from the hotel. Absolutely fabulous place. Situated in coral cave open to the sky and beautifully lit with candles. No words can describe this place it has to be seen to be believed.
Finally, we did our second safari with J T Safaris, run by Julius NZUMBI. Once again a fabulous experience and I can only say if you go on a safari please go with this man, you will not regret it.See separate reveiw.

1  Thank CornwallTrumpeter