Baobab Beach Resort & Spa
$136
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Blue Marlin Beach Hotel(Diani Beach)(Great Value!)
$102
$68
AfroChic Diani(Diani Beach)
$419
$375
Afrika Pearl & Spa(Diani Beach)
$93
$82
$122
$110
$139
$114
$925
Hotels.com
The Sands at Nomad(Diani Beach)
$125
$106
Agoda.com
$218
$173
Priceline
  • Pool
Jacaranda Indian Ocean Beach Resort(Diani Beach)(Great Value!)
$109
$98
Hotwire.com
1,694 results
All reviewskole koleinfinity poolmaridadi restauranttapa tapa barjambo teambeach boysmama miathe lion kinginclusive restaurantstier poolday safarimonkeys and baboonsanimation teamevening showstwo weeksour honeymoonmasai mara
Reviewed December 14, 2013

This place is quite outstanding. The staff here are far the best I have ever come across and I have travelled the world. Nothing was a problem. The setting is as good as the publicity pictures. 3 pools to choose from. Dining rooms were full of superb food and plentiful. Bedroom was large and shower room good, bed too firm and I did ask for softer pillows. We visited the spa and had a few treatments which were excellent. One day we travelled out to a local school and did a river trip which was a pleasant experience. However when the staff say don't feed the monkeys - don't! They are cute to look at but brazen and if they think you have something in your bag they will go through it. They pay little attention to staff and there are too many! It was a real shame that we couldn't swim in the ocean very often. I don't like being pestered by men trying to sell you anything and everything. It would make me think twice about coming back, if the owners could do something about this it would be a very very good idea. Really on the whole worth every penny spent here, we all went home with a smile on our faces....

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Annix2013
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We stayed here for a total of 8 nights before and after our safari and were very impressed with pretty much every aspect of the place. Arriving after the flight from Gatwick we were pretty tired but check in was handled quickly and efficiently and we were in our room within minutes of arriving,

The room (2301) was amazing, very big with a large terrace looking out towards the beach (there was a double sun bed and 2 chairs and table on it). We spent most of our time around the Maridadi pool which was on 3 levels and had a swim up bar. There were always plenty of sun beds available without having to get up before sunrise to get one... The pool itself was quieter than the other pools in the resort with a really "chilled-out" atmosphere.

The staff throughout the hotel were awesome. They could not do enough to make the stay a memorable one. The bar staff kept the drinks flowing - remembering our orders day to day. All the staff seem happy, always laughing and smiling.

The food was very good, with plenty of choice every meal and all of very high quality - we definitely need to go on a diet after this stay.

This is the third beach hotel we've stayed in in Kenya (the first time in Diani Beach - the others were north of Mombasa) and we have to say that so far it is the best that we have stayed at.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MW13_Lancs
Reviewed December 11, 2013

We came to the Baobab beach resort for our Wedding in October and WOW everything was perfect. We had Renson as our wedding planner and he was just amazing. Everything was organised and implemented to perfection. The staff at this resort are amazing! Everyone is so friendly and they cannot do enough for you.

ROOMS: We stayed in the Kole Kole section and our room was gorgeous. We had wedding guests stay in all areas of the resort and so got to see the rooms in the Baobab and the Maridadi. Everyone’s room was great, clean and perfect for a 2 week break. We would have been happy with any of these rooms although our personal view was the standard baobab rooms were a bit basic. (Possibly because we had been spoilt with a Kole Kole room)

ENTERTAINMENT: ok so some of the entertainment was very armature but it was all so much fun. We have been home now for 6 weeks and I am still singing the Jambo song. The acrobatics and the Lion King were my favourite shows.

SPA: We had several treatments at the spa and used both the hairdressers and beauty and all the treatments were amazing – make sure you get a massage. Any brides out there don’t panic the hairdressers are brilliant and my wedding hair was lovely. (I must admit before I went I had a backup style ready in case disaster struck)

FOOD: the food was great, fresh and tasty. We also ate in the Marhaba restaurant. The food was outstanding in a beautiful setting. I would recommend eating here on your stay.

SAFARI: we did the 3 day Tsavo East and West Safari through Pollman’s and it was absolutely awesome, we saw 4 of the big 5 and the accommodation was beyond our expectations.

WEATHER: as we went in October (shot rains), I panicked and panicked about the weather. We saw 20 min of rain the whole 2 weeks. It was absolutely glorious sunshine the rest of our stay. Even when it rains it is warm rain and is over in a flash. It really won’t effect your holiday.

POINTS TO NOTE:

1) There is no cash machine on site; while this is ok as everything can be charged to your room make sure you have small notes for tipping.

2) It is possible to pre order dinner for the kids to be served at 6.30pm, this wasn’t well advertised and we only discovered we could do this in week 2. Our daughter is 2 and dinner at 7.30 was a bit late for her.

3) Monkeys, they are great fun and generally harmless, however in the time we were there 3 people received monkey bites. – make sure you adhere to hotel rules and take particular care during high tea.

4) Plugs are the same as the UK so no need to bring any adaptors.

5) Bring pens, pencil, socks or any old t-shirts. As beautiful as the resort is the country is still very poor and this is evident on the drive from the airport and via the beach boys. We would have brought more with us if we had realised how grateful people would be from things we deem as simple things. You can speak to the hotel about taking a trip to an orphanage to give them anything you have brought.

All in all this was a holiday of a lifetime and I would recommend Kenya and the Baobab Beach resort to anyone.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Emma R
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We started here for two weeks from 11th November.

Firstly ill mention the fact that we were supposed to be going on the Dreamliner but Thomson changed this the week before we were due to fly. We were lucky to keep our emergency exit seats.

We arrived in Kenya after a long tiring flight, the airport is slow and disorganised to get through customs. You pay your entry fees and visas and were the last to get through.

We were shown to the coach and set off for the hotel. Now I've been going to Kenya since the early 1980's and the journey to the south coast entails the Likoni Ferry. Needless to say we waited, and waited and waited to get across. It took nearly 2.5 hours to get to the hotel.

We were greeted with cold towels and a glass of fruit juice where we were given our room keys.

As this was our honeymoon I had specifically asked for a deluxe room in the maridadi section. Mama Africa then took us to one side as it was our honeymoon and said they had something special for us. We were given a lei of frangipani flowers and a cocktail in reception before being taken to the Kole Kole section.

The door was decorated with more flowers and leaves which was an nice touch. The room was massive looking out over the infinity pool and into the ocean.

On our patio were several chairs a coffee table and a double sun bed. Very comfortable.

At this point we were left to unwind. We walked to the Jodari Restaurant for a late lunch which was buffet style.

We then walked around the resort, about 1km from the Kole Kole to the other end and the Maridadi section. The Baobab section is in the middle.

The next day we went to the Kole Kole pool and found our sunbeds that would be home for the next few days. A special mention should go to Ruben who runs the pool area at the Kole Kole section he does a fantastic job!

We didn't really venture too far to the other parts of the hotel so cannot comment on these areas although we would visit the Tapa Tapa bar for sundowners at the end of the day. Ultimately we returned to the Kole Kole areas.

The pool is divine and was usually pretty quiet first thing in the morning. There are more than enough sun beds so no need to reserve or worry!

There were two bars beside the pool which serve from 10am.

The only irritation is the smoking around the pool. Now we know the rules are different to those in the UK but people were smoking constantly on their beds and it was a little off putting if your a non smoker.

The beach.....yes as people have said there are lots and lots of beach boys. Are they a nuisance, in some people's eyes yes. To us they were friendly and just looking to sell you something. We chatted to a few who soon realised that we were not going to buy anything and gave up. They would still chat but no hard sell. Don't let them put you off going on the sand!

Now I did a lot of research before we booked and the biggest gripe was the food. Well after two weeks we were still eating in the same place.

Yes it's a buffet but daily there would be 12 different salads, pasta, 2 meat options, fresh fish, curries....I could go on but needless to say there is plenty on offer to cater for all tastes.

Now for the negatives, the Kole Kole section can be noisy. The animation team start at 10am and this lasts until 12.30. Loud music and activities. We didn't join in and ended up putting our headphones in to drown outtake noise.

It would restart at 4pm for another 90 minutes. At this point we would go to our room and avoid the noise! As I had booked to be in the Maridadi section I found this frustrating but we didn't complain.

The biggest annoyance was with some of the other guests. A few days before we left a large European family arrived with young (ish) children. They dumped them by the pool and then disappeared leaving the kids to run amok unsupervised. We mentioned this to other guests who said the same as us and reported the issue. Luckily they disappeared after a few days.

I accept it's a large hotel with many guests but some people can abuse the hotels facilities. We had our routine and enjoyed our stay.

We will go back, I think I'll ensure we in the quiet area next time but overall both of us fell in love with the magic of the baobab.

The staff make the hotel, everyone is happy to talk, help or generally make the holiday experience better for the guests.

Thank You Baobab. We will be returning.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank David H
Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here 19th nov for 2 weeks.

I will start with the resort which was fantastic, although our room was in the maridadi section and a good room, we preferred the lively pool at the other end and so with their restaurant having the least flies, we spent most of our time there.

The grounds are beautiful, staff very friendly, I enjoyed playing water polo, table tennis and volleyball with the animation team.

The monkeys are so amusing, I did buy some nuts and fed them every evening, against the rules you might say but at least I was feeding them something that wouldn't harm them unlike some other people I saw.

A word about the beach boys, yes they do approach you, and yes they don't take no for an answer, but if you give them a bit of your time they are actually fascinating people and I spent a few days playing football with them and trying to understand their lives a bit better, as well as helping them to improve their english.

Me and my girlfriend were a little intimidated at the start when leaving the resort but actually the people are harmless and wouldn't do anything to harm the tourism as this helps to keep them alive. We visited an orphanage to donate a large number of football shirts I had collected and seeing the children so happy despite very little was a humbling experience. Also visited a village complete with witch doctor as well as the shopping centre and small zoo.

Went on safari with Freddy safaris which I organised before I went, amazing experience and even the rain in tsavo didn't dampen our spirits

Only downside was the cancellation of the dreamliner by Thomson at short notice. We did get to return on it and the design of the aircraft really helps anybody that normally struggles with legroom.

All in all I would return to kenya, a little bit too much poverty for my liking but corruption is rife in the country and so the vast majority of people have very little.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple