This February was our 5th & final stay. The distressing decline remarked in our review of 2 years ago has continued.
1. The absence of beach beds is now critical: I had to creep to the beach in the early dawn, at 06.00 to secure 2 beds, by placing shoes, books etc. I was not the first! By 07.15 all beds were taken. An attempt had been made to rectify the problem by buying a number of the cheapest, rigid plastic loungers: these remained unoccupied, thanks to their discomfort. (The newly appointed G.M who arrived 3 days before we left, had removed them all within 24 hours!)
2. The quality & choice of food had worsened. Dinner, in particular, used to be a meal to anticipate keenly. Now, it was more a case of "will we find a reasonable meal, without having to settle for pasta?" Breakfasts remain good, but a reduced bread selection & no smoked fishes nor ham. Fortunately there were 3 good Indian chefs, so our liking for Indian cooking saved the day.
3. 2 years ago we had problems with the air-con. Same thing this year - low output for 12 of the 14 days. Complaints unheeded."Problem with the water tower!"
4. General cleanliness & maintenance of gardens, terraces, corridors & staircases was poor, although our room was well cleaned.
5. On the plus side, the staff were as courteous, friendly & attentive as ever: we were welcomed back by many of them, as friends, & looked after at every turn. Thank goodness, it compensated for the overall decline.
6. A really sloppy dress-code or, rather, lack of it at meal-times seemed to stem from the noticeable shift to a clientele from Russia, Poland & the Balkan states. Apparently the previous G.M had actively pursued those cheaper, markets instead of addressing & resolving the problems at the hotel. It is axiomatic that the pursuit of cheaper markets is a downwards spiral - & it shows!!
Apart from cost-cutting by reducing staff, non-replacement of broken loungers, etc. & a marked decline in quality of the food, the overall impression was of a lack of "hands-on" supervision & management: for 11 days we hardly saw a managerial type - this changed when the new, German, G.M. took over . Suddenly managers appeared from the woodwork & all was activity.
The new G.M. told us that he had been G.M before, in 2006, & had been rehired by the Indian owners to "sort the place out". We wished him luck, but feel it's too late
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Diani Reef Beach Hotel Ukunda
- Diani Reef Beach Resort And Spa
- Diani Reef Grand Ukunda