All reviews fins restaurant the general manager beach boys breakfast and dinner beach restaurant half board fresh towels animation team private beach kids club beach beds indian ocean white sand buffet style evening entertainment seafood low season
Reviewed May 12, 2011

Recently returned from a wonderful holiday at the Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa with many happy memories. Everything was great.
The staff were so willing, friendly – nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were very comfortable and well appointed. I was slightly concerned when I booked about the prospect of a buffet for 2 weeks , but the food was delicious with an amazing range of dishes and different choices and options each night. Too good as we unfortunately all over-ate!
Brilliant setting, situated right on a beautiful sandy beach – lush gardens, lots of flowers, hammocks suspended from the coconut palms in dappled shade - 2 large swimming pools – 1 quiet ( no kids) the other with daily organised sessions of waterpolo and volleyball etc.
Mini bar prices were same as in the bars and reasonable for a hotel; of this calibre. Complimentary tea/coffee served in the beach restaurant in the afternoon.
Guest relations & Albert’s restaurant team were extremely friendly and competent, always taking pride in doing their jobs, always smiling and remembering people’s names. Even the security staff and “coconut” man were equally affable.
The General Manager was very welcoming and showed a genuine interest in everyone’s welfare, ensuring everything was right. He was very much in evidence and should be congratulated on his extremely friendly, attentive staff.
It was an amazing and memorable family holiday, which everyone, my wife, sons and their girl friends all really enjoyed. I have since recommended it to many friends and will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Robert01000
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Not only the hotel was beautiful but the best thing was the staff is awesome. From the regular employee to the managers, all were great. They made our stay very comforable. Aditya Mata the general manager of the resort was awesome. He went out of his way to help us out... I had booked just my husband and my son at first, then my daughter deceided to join. He gave us a fanstice deal and also promised to change our room which he did. Main chief to food manager Albert, was very good too. The waiters and bar attenders were amazing too esp to my children.

The WIFI in the fins bar was WOW..my kids loved it as they could go on the net on their IPADS. The animation team was phenomenal with their INDIAN dancing.

FOOD was scrumptious. My son celebrated his 10th birthday and the staff really made it special. The cake was delicious. Albert would always come up and ask if all was k so would the GM. I have been to several hotels in the world but the management in DIANI is something. Mary had always a smile on her face. Rozina and gadi at the bar were amazing esp to my kids. Always there to help. The house keeping lady JANe was very helpful.

I would definetly return here next year.

Only thing which i thing could be improved is the entertainment for the kids for ages 10 and over.

Otherwise on the whole its was a pleasure to stay here.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank nbhaiji
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Excellent hotel, beach, food. Exceptional service. Lots of entertainment. Rooms clean enough. Gardens well maintained. We had a great holiday indeed. The only thing I would improve would be to offer an all inclusive package. The cheating of the staff was also unacceptable. You can expect that outside but not in the resort. So keep an eye on your money. Other than that, highly recommended!!!! I wouldn't hesitate to go back if in Kenya again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank zosokam
DRBRS, General Manager at Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2011

Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor. I recollect meeting with you during your stay and also recall your positive comments on the resort before your departure . Your concerns have been noted and I did mention that all our Team members are recruited after extensive reference checks and security audits . Ensuring the safety and security of our guests is our primary objective and I assure you of no compromise on this at any point in time .
We look forward to welcoming you back for yet another memorable stay .

Sincerely

Aditya Mata

Reviewed May 7, 2011

Stayed here for 6 nights after doing a 3 day safari in maasai mara. was lovely hotel, beautiful grounds, the beach was amazing, white sands. hotel was very very nice, staff were very friendly helpful. rooms were slightly outdated and could do with a revamp but were still clean and comfortable and spacious. only small complaint, one evening we called up housekeeping to ask for some small face towels and dressing gowns as they had taken ours. never arrived so we rung again, and still never arrived! other than that it was a great stay and i would definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
DRBRS, General Manager at Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor . I do appreciate your critique and have corrected issues pertaining to the Housekeeping department . We have also initiated training to ensure requests are reverted to within a stipulated timeframe.

Our Team is our Asset and we look forward to welcoming you back to Diani Reef Beach Resort & Spa, Mombasa , in the near future .

Sincerely
Aditya Mata

Reviewed May 3, 2011

WOW!! This was my 5th visit to this Hotel and Kenya and I will be planning my 6th trip very soon.

Kenya is a lovely country to visit and it's tropical paradise indian ocean beaches are quite often overlooked by travellers who simply think of Kenya as only a first class safari destination. Kenya has so much more to offer believe me.

The Diani Reef Beach Resort and Spa is widely regarded by locals as the best hotel on Kenya's coast. It located about 30km south of Mombasa in an area called Diani Beach. The Hotel has amazing gardens where monkeys and other types of wildlife can be found. The two pools are very well kept and do not get overcrowded like at some hotels. One of the pools is reserved specifically for adults and the other has a pool bar attached to it so as you can drink soft drinks or alcoholic drinks whilst bathing in the pool. The hotel has it's own beach and believe me the beach will also not disappoint with it's white sands and warm tropical Indian Ocean waters. There is also a spa and although I am no expert it is clear when speaking to other guests that this spa is of an exceptionally high standard. The Spa has also won awards over the past few years and I would have though further details could be found on the hotels website (www.dianireef.com). There are standard garden view room, sea view rooms, junior suites and presidential suites. The food at the hotel is excellent with lots of choice and cooked perfection.

The Staff at the Hotel really do go out of their way to make sure everything is perfect for your stay. I have stayed at many hotels in different countries around the world and the service at the Diani Reef is without doubt the best. I would like to give a thank you to a few members of staff who really stood out during my last stay and made it that little more special. Firstly thank you to Fredrick at the Zebra bar who is always very professional and friendly, nothing is ever too much trouble for him. Thank you to Humphrey who is a first class waiter and a very friendly gentleman who will go out of his way to make sure you are comfortable he also was present when I proposed to my girlfriend on the beach at night under the stars by the Indian Ocean and made the whole experience that extra bit special. Also Mary at the Fins restaurant who always has a smile on her face. I would also like to thank Susan in the Coral Rock cafe, she always made sure we had a lovely evening meal and again nothing was too much trouble. Finally I would like to mention the General Manager Mr Mata who works from early in the morning until late at night making sure that every guest is comfortable and having a great time. Nothing is too much trouble for Mr Mata and he does his very best to make sure every stay at the hotel is enjoyable. He like all the other members of staff has an awesome ability to remember everyone's name which does make you feel that extra bit special when the staff refer to you by your name.

The Diani Reef is quite simply paradise and is without doubt the best Hotel on the coast. Even when you have stayed there five times like I have the Hotel never fails to impress. I love the Hotel, people and the country so much I will be planning my wedding there in the coming year it is simply that great and I can not fault it.

Quite simply, if you are thinking of visiting Kenya then the Diani Reef is the place to stay and is in easy reach either by air or road to all the well known national parks including the Maasai Mara and once you have done your safari you can relax by the indian Ocean in paradise knowing you will be looked after.

Asante Sana.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor for better views.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple