Just returned from 2 weeks holiday spent in Sands at Chale and we totaly fell in love with this place. What makes this hotel unique is his beautiful location, great people working here, stunning nature, breathtaking beach - all together is that cocktail of elements which makes your holiday unforgettable.
// Hotel is built in his own rough style harmonized with Africa. I don't understand people who need to take pictures of rusty taps, smudges on the walls or bug in the bathroom. Guys, you are in Kenya, if you need brilliant shine and sterile cleanliness try to spend your next holiday in... In surgery for example :)
Hotel grounds are amazing, very nice, cleaned every day. Wi-fi worked great, with no problem.
// Rooms are sorted to different "levels", we had basic room in the first tower and it was really great with a view on the pool and the ocean. It is nice to hear the gentle sound of the waves. Our room was spacious, with a huge bed, closet, chair, table, bathroom and terrace. AC worked very good. We were affraid about outage of electricty during the day, but it was something we even didn't notice. Important for us was a perfect cleaning of our room every day. No tv, no radio, no fridge - grrr, we liked it! :)
// Food is simple YUMMY. Breakfast - croisants, waffle corner, eggs corner, fruit, vegetable, ham, cheese, coffee, water, juice... Breakfast was almost the same every morning. Dinner - pasta corner, grill corner, lamb/chicken, beef/chicken, fish, potato, rice, vegetable, fruit, cakes, water... Dinner food repeated after one week. Drinks are not included except the water to your food. We had only halfboard, so we appreciate this. However the water is a bit expensive :( This is the only "drink" you really need, so you have to buy (about 3USD/1l).
// Beach is... Sorry, I need to find the right word... SPLENDID. So white, that you have to wear sunglasses, it is never overcrowded, the sand is gentle to your feet. Yes, there is seagrass after the tide, but staff try to clean it when the ocean is "empty" (sometimes perhaps it is necessary from these guys more work, less talk..). The sunbeds, umbrellas and towels are included.
// Ocean is warm, but because of seagrass not so crystal. You can swimm only in the tide, but on the other way you can walk and walk around the island and enjoy the amazing nature, trees, rocks over you, "bottom" of the ocean with fishes, crabs, sea urchin stuck in the splash until the tide comes again.
// Staff is really helpful, willing, they smile all the time (except few individual). I really want to mention two of this amazing people - first is ANDREA, capo of the hotel, you will recognize him immediately, his is the hottest man on the island :))) The hotel is well managed by him. Second is KALUME, our friend from the pool staff with huge smile in his friendly face.
// There are, I think, 3 pools, but we used only one, by the reception, it is very nice, warm, clean. Maybe you belong to people, who think, you won't use pool on the holiday by the sea (like us), but trust me, you will :)
// Animals will make you laughing every day, monkeys totaly ignoring your attepmt of contact, african great parrots whistling all the time (worse than cell phones :) ), cats miauwing by your legs requesting your caress...
Only one negative what have less to do with this hotel. The way from the airport and back. It takes more than 3 hours (mombasa, ferry, guests taking to/from other hotels). But Sands at Chale deserves all this time and discomfort. Definitely recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Owned and managed by the same team of sister resort The Sands At Nomad, this small, personal "boutique" resort is the perfect island getaway for those seeking the ultimate in relaxation, tranquility and Island flair. The resort was completely renovated in 2006 and has been built with a very strong focus on the envirnmental beauty of the Island. Two swimming pools, a mystical SPA and a well equiped watersports facility fullfil every wish. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Odigeo, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your The Sands At Chale Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sands At Chale Island Hotel Diani
- Sands At Chale Island Ukunda