Papillon Lagoon Reef
$114
AfroChic Diani(Diani Beach)
$419
$375
Jacaranda Indian Ocean Beach Resort(Diani Beach)(Great Value!)
$115
$101
Travelocity
  • Pool
The Sands at Nomad(Diani Beach)
$146
Orbitz.com
Kinondo Kwetu(Diani Beach)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbeachfront roombeach boysngutuni lodgeday safarianimation teamrhino safarisstir frybeach volleyballmonkeys and baboonsbeach vendorsall inclusive hotelfantastic holidaypool barfriendly hotelindian oceandress codewater hole
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Just had 4 nights here after our safari. This was ideal as it was great to relax after being blown away by the safari. The service and friendliness of the staff was great. I'd also add that the beach boys, as some have pointed out out, do approach you. I'd suggest, however, that they were even friendlier than the hotel staff and we had an enjoyable time just chatting with them. We did spend money at their market and were quite happy to do so - no pressure. If you actually speak to them and not try to walk away without looking at them you may find that they are fine people doing what most people try to do - earn a living!
Back to the hotel. After staying in some amazing safari lodges with amazing service and really good food, the Papillon was almost disappointing. The staff were generally good (some were excellent). The evening meal was a let down though. The staff seemed to be less attentive and less organised than during the day. And the food was not as good as the lunches. Cold pasta with tinned tomatoes?? The pasta was meant to be hot. Regardless of what time we went, there seemed to be many empty trays on the buffet.
The room was ok. We had a beach view and it was worth it just for the seperate shower cubicle. The bathroom was a bit tired and could have done with a deep clean but overall not too bad.
The grounds are great for chilling out around the pool. And if you need more relaxation, there is the massage option. Very good and incredibly cheap. We each had one a day for our stay!
If you come here after staying in some of the safari lodges you may feel let down but just enjoy the setting and be brave, venture onto the beach and speak to the stall holders. You may surprise yourself by how much you enjoy it!

Room Tip: Beach view rooms have a walk-in shower as well as a bath.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barry7377
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Got back from my third visit to the Papillon on the 16th.I was still made so welcome when I got there it even dulled the pain of one and a half days rain.The sun soon came out and everything was back to normal.It was nice to meet all the same people who were there on my previous visits.
They do seem to go out of their way to be helpful. I know it is all geared to money, but hey, what the heck.I was quite surprised how few English people were there. They don't know what they are missing.The food is still as good,nobody should go hungry.My room was still as superb as ever,a credit to the young boy who looks after it.Spotless. I never usually moan about things,but one thing I must say.I hate wearing trousers,but if the rules say long trousers for at dinner, I will abide by those rules but now nobody seems to care.
That little whinge over, anybody who wants a happy,relaxing carefree holiday,I would not hesitate to suggest the Papillon.I go where I want, when I want, so I wouldn,t return if it was not good.
Regards to everybody there,will see you again. Pappamick.

Room Tip: The rooms at the top are still the best,just a bit more walking.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Michael B
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Weve. Just got back from the papillon and had a great time we upgraded to the beach front rooms at 24 dollar a night each because you get free mini bar safe tv and your nearer to the pool restuarant beach and amenities the food we thought was excellent good selection every day different choices etc there's not a lot of places near by to visit shops restaurants etc without getting a tuc tuc or taxi mini bus but not for western type of places reel African not many English at all anywhere plenty of Germans in the hotel so you didn't have anyone to chat to but the staff are all very friendly and speak good English we booked our trips from outside the complex because there a lot cheaper we went on a village bike ride which opens your eyes how they really live it's amazing we English don't no where born went to a local school where the children are from three up to about ten which had been abandoned from there parents that was sad we gave them books crayons sweets they really appreciate tiny things in life next we went snorkelling at wasini island that's a good day out then a one night two day safari brilliant to get to see nature at its best real and true we payed £30 for the bike ride £65 for the wasini island and £150 for the jeep safari you can get them a bit cheaper but these trips where more private six on the boat six on the jeep so you pay a bit more all in all a great time the only draw back is the beach boys you carnt get in and out of the sea without them pestering you lovely beach were you carnt even sunbathe and if you tell one no there's another 150 to reject for us that was the only problem

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I really loved my stay here. From the first day to the last I felt catered to and got to relax as I intended. The staff were so helpful and friendly and accommodating. They have beach volleyball, water polo and aerobics among other activities. The only downfall was the food, not as great but still good nonetheless. I highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Me and my friend stayed here for 11 nights 15-25 october. We had a warm welcome and were shown to our room. The room and bathroom was clean, with a shower. The hotel staff are so friendly and welcoming and can't do enough for you. We were all inclusive, and the food was amazing. 7:30-10:30 breakfast, full fry up, cereal, croissants, tea etc. 12:30-2:30 lunch, different every time, homemade burgers and chips, stir fry, pasta, toasties etc. Dinner is served 7:30-9:30 wide variety again,pasta, salad, beef, chicken, fish.

The hotel is well suited for families, friends and couples. The hotel is very clean and the staff work very hard all day to keep it clean. The pool staff invite you to do activities for examples, pool aerobics, beach volleyball, darts etc, everyone joins in but you don't have to.

The drinks were nice, real sprite, coke etc. Beer is the local Kenyan tusker.

The beach is stunning, just be careful of the beach boys they can be pushy, just need you to tell them no, and they tend to leave you alone, on the hand some are very friendly and will show you where all the fish and crabs are and generally want to just chat.

All in all this hotel was perfect for us, if you go on a safari the reception will do an early morning wake up call and breakfast. The shop in the hotel opens 10-8 and sells, cigarettes, magnets, suncream etc. The swimming pool gives you towels for sun beds and there is always plenty of sun beds for everyone!

Be careful of the monkeys, the hotels is full of them, they are cutes, loads of babies etc, but they like to take your drink and can be snappy. But we had hardly any problems with them.

Definitely would return to this hotel!

Had an amazing holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room, sometimes if no ones in them they will give you a free upgrade.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends