Diani Sea Lodge
$122
$189
$170
  • Breakfast included
Afrika Pearl & Spa(Diani Beach)(Great Value!)
$105
$92
$142
$112
  • Pool
PrideInn Express Diani(Diani Beach)(Great Value!)
$40
$35
Jacaranda Indian Ocean Beach Resort(Diani Beach)(Great Value!)
$115
$101
Hotels.com
  • Pool
$160
$156
$476
Waterlovers Beach Resort(Diani Beach)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsanimation teamday safarisister hotelbeach boystwo weeksthird world countrywasini islandpool barindian oceanall inclusive drinksevening entertainmentfour poster bedbeach towelswalk along the beachkeep an eyemosquito netvarious activities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Having just returned from Diani sea Lodge after a 2 week holiday with my girlfriend I can only say good things about this hotel. We were unsure about it at first after reading previous reviews but we loved it. Firstly the staff to this hotel are a credit every single member of staff are so polite and have all the time in the world for you. Everyone greets you with Jambo or have a nice day. The animation team are Fantastic Victor, Safari, Daniel, Irene and Mishi they are forver organising activities and have a great sense of humour, our holiday would not have been the same without them. Actvities such as Beach Volleyball, Beach football, coconut throwing and bowls along with other activities are all on offer.

The food in the hotel is the only thing that could be a bit better. Breakfast was good with choice of sausages, bacon, eggs and other traditional breakfast foods. We opted for lunch in the snack bar with choices such as pizza, chips, burgers and toasties and dinner varied each night sometimes it was good other times not so good. Again the staff in the restaurant are so friendly and helpful.

The rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. We did not spend much time in here except for sleeping but were cleaned on a daily basis and met our needs.

As for other comments the monkeys are not to much of a bother infact sometimes it is kind of funny the only hassle i had in the whole 2 weeks was a monkey stealing my fanta but the security are forever scaring them off if they are bothering anyone.

The Beachboys are annoying the first couple of days but then become friends with you they are only trying to make a living. We didn't buy off them and it was no problem at all. Although I would say don't go to the shop of the guy who trys to give you a keyring with your name on it he trys to rip you off.

Overall we had a great stay in the Diani Sea Lodge and would go back in a minute

Room Tip: the far away rooms can be quite dark at night to get to so ask for one near the reception if possible
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mas00069
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We visited Diani Sea Lodge in September for our honeymoon. We were also greeted like regular guests. There were no special touches, even in the welcome which was disappointing.

Our room was spacious and cool and was cleaned daily. We had a 4 poster bed with mosquito nets which made all the difference. We had a large bathroom and a small terrace which we could sit on in the evening. Although )o ugh do not take food out there. The monkeys may look cute but the are a nuisance and well snatch things straight out of our hand, off your plate or out of your bag. Pest and can be quite frightening.

The food was absolutely awful. Breakfast was good. They have lovely apprentices who work there. The chefs are friendly and kind and make the effort to know your name. However after that it is all downhill. The main restaurant is a very small buffet with limited choice. They put out shredded carrot and call it a salad. The themed nights were very hit and miss but we felt that the food was getting progressively worse. It was bland and even the boiled potatoes were raw!

We too like the reviewer below went to Ali BArbours and yibba yabba. I think this says a lot considering we were at an all inclusive hotel. We spent 3 days on safari, 5 nights eating out and only 6 in the hotel.

The snack bar was absolutely disgusting. Raw pizza, dry pasta and club sandwiches with no chicken.

We would've preferred a quieter hotel. There were lots of activities if you like that kind of thing. Daily classes create lots of noise if you just want to relax.

The beach boys do come and hassle you if you go on the beach. I didn't stop. I think that's the key, even if you make eye contact you are like a fly caught in a web but I just said no and carried on walking and they didn't bother us too much.

The beach is beautiful and there are plenty of trees for shade for when it gets too hot.

Had it not been for the absolutely fantastic staff here we would have asked to be moved. The staff were love and could not do enough for you and truly were the saving grace of this holiday. That and the other guests we got to spend a lovely time with. We all stuck together bonded by the disgust of the food.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Bekki L
Reviewed September 18, 2013

After an ex-tenuous and torturous trip back from the beautiful country that is Kenya, I have found myself reaching for the laptop prior to a long deserved sleep to comprise what both my new wife and I had endured on our Honeymoon, at the Diani sea Lodge. On arrival from a remembered and fantastic four day safari, my wife and i found our self overwhelmed with the beauty Diani sea lodge had to offer... Lavish white stone walls, African architecture a king would be happy to visit, wild coconut trees and not to mention probably the best beech view we have ever seen. On our continued excitement we were also met with exceptional service from the staff on our arrival (and i must say this continued over the holiday). Only to be slightly discomforted by that fact that although a weaved love heart left on our front door and a (Warm) fruit basket was a nice touch, we both felt and heard that honeymooners were prioritised with the highest of service elsewhere. We both agreed at the end of the holiday we were not met as honeymooners but as regular holiday goers. Discussions from over honeymooners (at others close by resorts) it was the little touches that made what they thought was a special occasion and made us both feel quite jealous of this fact that our counterpart had received a bottle of wine in there room or a small present/icon to back with them e.g. giraffe statue. Do not get me wrong we do not ask for the red carpet to be laid but examples that could be seen as unique could have gone a long way. The worst part of our stay at Diani sea lodge was unfortunately the food. The hotel continued to portray its self as high class/five star etc with its dress code and formal wear. This was downplayed by that fact that the choice and standard of food was only camouflaged in its high standards of service by its staff. Every night there seemed to be a change if fine cuisine theme: African, BBQ, Asian which were always accompanied by the side orders of potatoes, rice, (Bland) pasta and cubes of wheat & flour. It got to our fourth night of continued pedigree chum and potatoes where we finally had enough of risking a night of problematic bowel movements and decided to eat at the many local fine (and affordable) restaurants in the area (Yibba Yabba, Ali Barbours). Lastly but not least I feel I may be over dramatic on this due to my ignorance in domestic culture regarding the locals, but it seemed to be a continuous strain to be able to walk from the beach to the sea in comfort without being pestered by, what can only be seen as persistent second hand car dealers, coming from all angles. My wife was so intermediated by the persists of the locals it took her four days to courage to the lavish waters, only to be met by 3 salesman sprinting from the perimeters of what seemed like 'no-mans land' barraging her with sales pushes. from this point not only my wife would not venture into the sea, it was seen this was met by other residents at the hotel as well. I am not a usual blogger and moaner regarding things of this sort but i felt it was my duty to other holiday/honeymooner goers to communicate this. Other pros and cons include: All inc was awful, when checking out (at 10am) you have to pay for beverages even if you leave at night; if like my wife you are all about the tan, you may be upset bout the fact movement of sunbeds is essential every hour due to many palm trees; on many occasions our towels were not changed; (Hate this one) the straws and paper coverings are re-used... YUCK!!! Snack bar is great (Ham and cheese toastie), ample amounts of tea and coffee (Biscuits/cake too); no matter the time of day staff are always happy; entertainment crew were fantastic and always a joy to watch; very clean and large spacious rooms

Room Tip: Rained about 3 out of our ten days... had only cards and communal TV to tend with. If I went again i would opt for the rooms with TV and other additional which we were un-aware of
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Matthew C
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We arrived at the hotel at 10.30pm after a 10 hour delay at Addis Ababa airport. We were offered a welcome drink and told a late meal had been kept for us. We decided it was too late to eat so were shown to our room.
The bedroom and bathroom were lovely and clean unlike a previous review that had stated it was dirty. We were in 206 on the 1st floor of a building towards the back of the hotel near the road.
The following morning we were given a card to collect our beach towel. We had a choice of loungers to lay on. Activities go on throughout the day by the animation team such as volleyball, bowles, darts, aquacise etc.
The food is lovely. For breakfast there is continental quiosants, toast or English breakfast.
Lunchtime can be eaten at the beach bar ie toasted sandwiches, pizza, chips etc or at the main restaurant.
In the evening there is fresh soup to begin with then the main course. Salad bar, meal option ie lasagne, beef stragonoff and freshly cooked grill options ie fish, beef. About 4-5 dessert options and fruit. They also have themed nights.
Evening entertainment is by locals from 9 -10pm and is good entertainment especially the bands on Thurs eves.
We found the beach boys annoying at first but you can do either of two things. Say Jambo to them which encourages them to walk with you and push their wares or ignore them.
If you did the first option then number 1 would leave then number 2,3,4 would follow afterwards
I found the second option worked well for me as they would start by asking are you German...English...Italian? If I didnt answer and kept my head down they would walk away and tell the rest not to bother so I could walk along the beach unhindered. Always check the prices for items they are selling before buying. They tried to sell us a giraffe for 700s when they were only 300s in hotel reception shop.
Tipping... I read their was lots of tipping to do but decided to leave it until the last day and tipped those I felt were good to me. They suggest you tip into the tip box in reception for everyone which is opened every 3 months and shared but was told by a staff member that they only get 50 shillings each then.
We chartered a little motor boat with two lads from Davis and Abdalla in the hotel grounds and went to the reef to snorkel and along the coast. This was nice as not with a boatful of people and could do as we liked for 4 hours.
The hotel arranges different visits to an orphanage, the local village etc They basically arrange the taxis for you.
The monkeys can be a pain. They seemed to like our balcony so couldn't leave the door open at all or they would come in the room. They do have the option of a mesh screen though to let air in. On the loungers keep your things in a bag as they are very quick at grabbing things and running. Some security men are good at keeping them away others aren't bothered.
Well what can I say about the staff.... they are excellent!!!! They ask your name on first meeting you and remember it. They all have a smile and make the place what it is!!!!!!!!!!! A great hotel.
Thank you Beth, Hamed, Mohammed, Mark, Martin, Michael, Nyawa, Dollar etc etc

Room Tip: My only negative about the whole hotel was the pillows. They are thin and hard! I found my neck support for flight over more comfortable to sleep on. Also neighbouring doors slamming were loud in our block especially if they were leaving early.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank bubblylittleme
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Hi all we have just returned (8th Sept 2013) from the most amazing experience. Our stay at the Diani Sea Resort Kenya was really lovely, food was great and the people are so friendly. After a long journey we were greeted at the hotel with ice cold drinks and dancers it was a lovely greeting. The staff really look after you and cannot do enough for you.
The monkeys at the hotel are really entertaining but do not leave you balcony door open they will pinch anything. Our first day we had a sleep in the afternoon with the door open, my daughter woke me telling me there was a monkey sat on the table, he had come in and was sat quite happily eating fruit that had been left for us. We found it really funny, they are so cheeky!!
The beach is beautiful and the sea is lovely, one problem is the beach boys, they hassal you all the time to buy their items and the also have a fantastic memory! just be firm but not rude to them and walk away.
Joseph under the tree sells some lovely wood carvings we bought loads home, again though you will be hassalled be firm and always barter with them or they will rip you off, make sure you understand your Kenyan shillings when you go out as it is so easy to get confused.

You cannot go to Kenya without going to Safari, we went on safari with JT Safaris (Julius is the owner of the company) what a fantastic, efficient, genuine person he is. Julius has an office near the hotel, if you go to the entrance of the hotel and turn left his office is next to Joseph under the tree who sells the wood carvings. Julius and his team are absolutely brilliant. I found out about him on trip advisor and every thing you read is true to its word. We did the 2 nights 3 day safari in Tsava East staying in Ashnil Aruba Lodge (fantastic place, immaculate, food lovely) and Tsavo West staying in Saltlick Lodge (on stilts again lovely).
I cannot recommend JT Safaris enough, we booked through email in march and paid a deposit through our bank, he emailed us to confirm he had received it and did a private package for us the jeeps are land cruisers and they are personal to yourselves, lots of room, we had Tito the driver he was brilliant, what he could see and point out was amazing, he was very knowledgeable and taught us loads.
JT sends a driver to pick you up before your safari where you go to his office and make sure everything is organised, he then invites you back the day after your safari to pay the balance and to ensure you are satisfied with everything, he also gives you a gift .

We would love to go again what an experience loved every minute of it!!! x

Room Tip: we stayed in a normal room with air con, hair drier view of the pool and of the sea it was lovely
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family