“Drowning” 2 of 5 bubbles

Leisure Lodge Beach and Golf Resort
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Diani Beach
“Drowning”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2012

Spent 8 day between 27th dec to 4 jan 2012. Rooms in my section were way old and and the famous stale smell. Towels were only changed onces only after I asked for them to be changed. No hot water for a full 48hours. The sound of broken wheels on laundry and food trollies woke me up on a couple occasions.

All the meals were a struggle, always looking for waiters, coffee cups and stale warm coffee always arrives well after we had finished eating breakfast. Had to do a salt search at every meal. 10 out of 14 people in our group got runny stomaches. We were on the full board, so all meals were eaten there. With the exception of tea at 4h00 every day food was crap.

The hotel was full over this period, staff totally out of their depth. They were polite, but simply did not have the capacity to deal with the guests. The blame lays with the food and hotel managers. They did nothing but smile.

With hard work by some members of staff it could have been far better.

This ones good hotel, is a disgrace.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Buzzard101

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

I travelled with my husband and 2 young kids, we arrived late in the evening & were shown our rooms - to my surprise our booked "family room" only had a double bed and a single bed .
It could basically only sleep 3 people ( all rooms are like that ) . The room was very small , the management said they would add another bed - but the room was so small it could not fit the 4th bed ! They said that there was nothing they could do about it until morning - We had booked the room several months before I still do not understand WHY they did not have the family room ready for us ?!?
The room also had no towels , after a long day of traveling not only we had to haggle about beds but also about towels.

The following day they "upgraded" us to a bigger room in the newer section of the bahari , and we finally got the extra bed in..

The standard of the hotel is low ( not a 4 star at all ) the rooms are all from 1970 the beds are old , linen frail & smelly ,no hot water or pressure in bathrooms ,
Air cons noisy/leaking - everything is in desperate need for renovation .
After what we paid , I really thought we'd get something better .

The standard of the food was also very very poor , the buffet only got better after the 1st of Jan , when there were less people .
Every evening there is a local band that plays music while you dine , that's about the only highlight .
There is afternoon tea on the terrace with waffle or pancakes , but it is a struggle to get a cup of tea to go with it-it seems like there is not enough staff .

The beach & sea is nice , but the beach chairs of hotel are all mismatched and once again in need of attention . This applies to everything at the hotel .

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone .

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank dolcevita_3
Tanzania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2012

We spent 5 nights at Leisure Lodge over the New Year period. The beach is beautiful and we liked the hotel setting, but the hotel itself is overrated and disappointing. Our room was "very tired". - no aircon the first night , fixed the next morning but again not working that night, 3 TV's before we got one that worked, and very limited channels. We had to ask for towels every evening, bar the last, and the drainage in the shower was bad. There were no nets in the room either and although not many mossies, we were bitten.The room had a view of the beach- that's about it. The buffets were great. We enjoyed the food & different bands playing every evening. Although the staff were very friendly, the service was so so. There was always cutlery missing from the table & never S&P and it took a long time to get the things.. Waffles & Pancakes were available for afternoon tea but actually getting a cup of tea was difficult. There appeared to be 1 poor waiter running around trying to serve everyone. We had 1 teenager & 1 older "kid" with us. The hotel is vast, There are bars & pools everywhere and nothing encourages socialising for them. They played volleyball some evenings at the hotel next door and went to other venues in Diani after dinner. Our first day there we wandered around like idiots with our tennis racquets, looking for the court - which was on the map - no longer existed! The treatment I wanted at the salon- no longer available although still advertised. What irritated me the most was that at 7.15am I was often the only person on the beach but kept getting kicked off the beach lounger i was using - it was "booked" - who knows for whom, and if and when they might decide to come to the beach- rows of empty chairs but I was told to use one of those at the back amongst the rocks. This happened everyday. In the hotel info it stated that there was no need to book a spot on the beach.?. My husband & son enjoyed the golf course. We liked Diani so drove around & looked for alternatives for our next visit. We did have a good break. Leisure Lodge is ok -it's not horrendous- just disappointing and I don't think value for money. It's fine for young kids but my older kids would prefer to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank BGLTzn
Vlaardingen, Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

Its our first time at the Hotel as we have been regulars at Pine Wood Village/ Leopards Beach.So we thought we should try something else and our travel agent suggested this place.now..Here we are ..9 nights at Leisure Lodge and currently staying at K2.

The rooms are oke although a bit out dated.The staff is good and friendly especially Mr.Davies who came to our rescue when dust from the ceiling came down during dinner time and messed our meal.He was so concerned and we even felt that nothing had really happened due to his concern..He is such an Asset in this Resort...A++++++

Now comes today..18/12/11 and we decide to have a drink at Coral bar(i think)..next to the beach.A Mr.Athuman who is our "dedicated waiter" takes our drinks order and brings us the menu.About 45 mins later,the food arrives and we request for more drinks.Apparently we had only taken 2Tusker Malts and on requesting for another,Mr Athuman insist on me taking a Tusker Lager....Reason????They are out of stock at Coral bar and there's no one to bring it down from the other bars....and for him,it was quite a distance apparently.

So...we decide to skip the drinks to go to another bar.5 min later,the same waiter is seen bringing a TUSKER MALT to the table behind us.i asked him where he got that..and he said"from the bar at The pool"..then i asked,why were you then insisting on me taking a lager while you would have gone to the bar to bring a Malt as you did for the table next to us?

He was not amused and not apologetic at all...He simply shrugged his shoulders and went on doing his thing.

Then we asked for our bill which he brought.we pointed out to him that one drink was missing in the bill...Mr.Athuman was not convinced at all that the drink was missing on the bill(just wanted to save him the agony of paying for what he had not consumed)

Finally he went to the bar and brought the right bill with all drinks included."thank you" was apparently too much for him as he picked the bill and walked off after the signature

I think the core business of Leisure Resort is F&B and you should advise all your people to maximize on revenues at all costs/times...Never assume any client in the resort no matter the nationality,age,sex etc

I dont think i would make any orders with this guy...

Ps..Seleman our room cleaner is among the best and we have another 4 nights ahead of us :-)

Room Tip: Bahari area( i think)
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank applevision
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

the rooms are nice and the entire compnound is creatively done. A very large compound and one can get lost,but there are maps at strategic locations to guide you.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Chicitakenia
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

I'm reviewing Leisure lodge after my 5th stay here, over a number of years and at different times of the year. I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but, I would say I know the place very very well indeed.
The first thing that hits you when you get to Leisure, is the warm welcome and the friendliness of the staff. I've always been greeted by the local band singing a welcome song. Followed by a drink and a relatively swift check-in process. I've always stayed in the Bustani Club side of the hotel, which is definitley the 'nicer' part of the hotel. I've also stayed in the Oasis Villas on 3 occassions.
On my latest visit, I was put up on the Baharini hotel side, and I quickly asked to be moved to the Bustani side, although the management said that the Baharini side has been recently refurbished, I found the rooms to be small and the bathrooms dated. I know what the Bustani club offers, so I insisted I be moved. This was taken care of quite swiftly - again good service.

The rooms are large and generally well equipped, they have a lounge area, a big bathroom with his n hers sinks, a dressing area, mini-bar, separate toilet and a double and single bed as well as a balcony with outdoor table and chairs. The furniture varies from room to room and is generally of a good standard. Rooms have airconditioning with remote controls for temparature control. The TV's show a selection of satellite channels including sports and movies.

The dining experience at Leisure varies - depending on the time of year you visit, there will be a different spread - I personally have always enjoyed the food - however, my wife who is vegetarian prefers the spread around peak holiday seasons when the hotel has a designated vegetarian chef.
One great thing at leaisure is that the hotel sets up lunch and dinner at different parts of the hotel each night with some entertainment - I really enjoy this.

The pool areas are generally nice however, the sun umbreallas need to be updated. They are quite old. The pool attendants are possibly the poorest of all the hotel staff as they are slow to repspond when you arrive there - with towels etc. The pool in the Bustani club has a bar, which serves drinks till early evening.

Overall, I think that if you are from Europe or have visited Dubai etc, you will struggle to see how this is a 4 star hotel. Rest assured they have all the services (Spa, Golf Course, Multiple pools, room service, laundry, etc etc) however, the property itself is slightly dated (not so if you are on the Bustani side).

Finally, I would have to say that the service you will receive here, is actually outstanding and this is entirely down to the CEO John Mutua - a highly energetic and cheerful man who is single handedly responsible for this hotels success.

Room Tip: Stay on the Bustani Club side - infact, insist!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Anuj R
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

The rooms require urgent renovation. The shower was dripping and the AC would not work in the room. Basic linen in the rooms which requires replacing as well.
Would never go to this hotel again!!Cockroaches and ants everywhere including in the room!

Room Tip: Do not go to this hotel!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends