“Another amazing time at Southern PalmsBeach Resort”

Southern Palms Beach Resort
Ranked #8 of 29 Hotels in Diani Beach
Reviewed December 3, 2012

It had hardly seemed like yesterday that I had been standing in reception being welcomed by Niels the GM,Joy, Julius and all staff although this time my husband was with me and we were going to be there for over three weeks.

We were given a lovely cold cocunut drink and the usual flannel and as the form was already filled in for us we were taken to 'our' second bedroom and what a beautiful basket of flowers and welcome card was waiting for us.

I opened the verandah doors and what a wonderful sight to see the powder white sands, waves crashing and the swaying palm trees.

I think the porters were a little taken aback as we had travelled from Edinburgh with 8 suitcases and large holdall as we were renewing our 35th wedding vows and taking 75 kilos to the orphanage we support - Footprints in the Shimba Hills. We had already deposited a cheque for £2000 into their bank account which we had raised through a raffle. I was lucky to obtain a signed rugby Scottish Union top and signed rugby ball and someone kindly contributed a signed English strip. The response this year was amazing and we still have over 100 kilos in my summer house - now called the African hut which will be taken to the trustee in the New Year.

We parked the car at the Brittania Country Club and met up with friends at the Styal lounge in Manchester who were staying at the Baobab Hotel but invited to the wedding renewal. I must thank you Tracy for the beautiful guest book bound in Campbell tartan which all the guests wrote comments and will be treasured as one member of staff 'quoted' that was from the heart as I am sure the other comments were as well.

We personally cannot find any faults with this hotel 'our second home'. All waiters excellent service, bar tenders quick to give out refreshments, Mahmoud you are doing a great job in the restaurants - we mainly ate in the main restaurant and lunch in the Boriti snack bar and all food was excellent especially the breakfasts where there was no shortage of anything.
The lady chef made my scrambled eggs fresh plus beef sausages and bacon therefore piping hot.

We visited the Italian and grill a few times and there again the food was excellent.

Thank you Omar and Hassan for tending our sun beds and to the gardners for the lovely garden flowers on the table next to my bed each day.

The gardners are always busy cutting the lawns or tending to the flowers and plants which makes the scene so lovely.

We had our usual room steward Richard who kept the room clean and immaculate and fresh sheets and towels every day.

Our renewal of vows was a week after we arrived on the Saturday and I decided to do all the arrangements myself as the wedding co-ordinator was a tad expensive and I must extend a huge 'thank you' to all involved who made the day so special and for doing various things before we arrived. We sent over a copy of our original certificate but told to take the original out which was needed by the minister who in turn after the ceremony returned and also given a renewal certificate signed by ourselves the witnesses and the minister.

Our thanks go to our good friends Ferdinand and Seriana for registering the ceremony and obtaining a minister - I wished a minister as close to the Church of Scotland as possible as we were married in a church and did not wish a registrar. Also the money would go to the church. I'm glad I chose this reverend as it was a moving service with 30 guests attending.

Also thank you Ferdinand - luckily you had a cousin that was a professional photographer and who took excellent photographs and DVD in the massive grounds and beach.
I received 72 prints and 1 hour 30 minutes of an edited DVD as opposed to half of what I would have got from another photographer.

Joy thank you for obtaining the seamstress who did an excellent job of the flower girls dresses in such a short time and Nellie for taking the girls for the beautiful shoes. It was great that they had all been measured as I had only to hand over the material etc and she could get on with the work.
My heart was in my mouth with the three kilts for the page boys but they fitted well.
Now Bettie Guest Relations what can I say!! You were a gem and your idea of myself coming on a camel to the ceremony was superb. I have been on a camel before but in a swimsuit and wondered how I would get on with my dress but it was quite easy and the camel was spick and span - my husband as you know did not know a thing and was rather taken aback and I did not fall into the pool!!!

Niels thank you for giving us an excellent costing for the lunches in the Fountain bar, for the dancers and what a surprise when I saw the beautiful three tier cake given as a gift. I have never seen anything like it even in this country! Mahmoud thank you for forfeiting your day off to oversee things and to all involved with the service of the meal. The Pineapple Hakuna Matata went down like a storm. Also Stella who was always there in the background and Joy for being my best maid and looking after the children but they were good as gold.

Thank you also to my husband for the beautiful jade jewellry as of course 35 years is of course a jade wedding. Thanks to the hairdresser Pamela for doing my hair at 8 am in the morning and coming to the room before 11.30 am to help me with my tiara and veil and lacing up my dress. Two rooms were kept empty downstairs for the children to change and my husband was banned from 'our' room and a do not disturb sign put on the door.
Bettie you must have though 'oh here she comes again the days before the ceremony' but you took it all in your stride and the decorations placed where I wished them to - the beautiful bows on the seating and the table where we stoood for our vows and it was good to plan out the seating plan with you,Mahmoud and Stella. Also happy to have the reverend and his wife at the meal.

Although we were tired coming off the plane to save us going into MBA again I headed with Ferdinand and Seriana who met us with their new safari van to Alexanders florist and chose my own bouquet giving him the colours I wished. the best maid's, 5 button holes and flower bands for around the flower girls hair and the long and low table flowers for the ceremony table. Munerva what an excellent job you did with all. Beyond expectations.

If I haven't thanked or missed anyone then I apologise but things were so rushed for that week - I was still making favours with Edinburgh rock and tying them with tartan ribbon and heather up to the last minute.

This was a wedding we both wanted - some may wish it quiet - it is a personal choice but we had a large white wedding 35 years ago although this time I wore ivory.

We were meant to have a lobster dinner at night but we were too full so saved that for my birthday!!

After the ceremony we took off by small plane from Ukunda to the Mara Fairmount Club and my goodness it is no wonder that the camp was awarded the best hotel in Africa and The Middle East by Travel and Leisure Magazine in 2010.

The tents have all been renovated although we still were allocated 'our usual premium tent' beside the hippo bank and Mara river and were spoilt very much by Munene Ngotho the GM and staff as per usual. (Review under Mara Fairmount)

One thing I will say which we did not expect was we saw a lot of animals and we did not expect to see a crossing of 5,000 gnus cross the second day that we went out all day. It was amazing to see at that time of year.

When we returned we were met by Ferdinand and Seriana at the airstrip and were given a beautiful large mask carving carved on the back 'To Anne and Jim' from Beach Air Tours and Safaris.

When we were dropped off at the hotel the notice board had been written 'welcome home' Anne and Jim. Also when we first arrived the board was also written 'Welcome back Anne and Jime 34th repeat clients.
It is these special touches that make this hotel so special.

The next day was my birthday and my sun umbrella was decorated in balloons,banners and party poppers - a lovely touch - arbour round my door and arbours with flowers around the sun beds and special stars the gardners make themselves.

Bettie came down to the beach and asked where we were sitting for lunch which we thought odd !

We normally sit on the lawn area away from the Boriti to watch from the gardens what is going on at the beach and the boats in the sea.

All was revealed - Bettie arrived with a beautiful display of flowers and a beautiful birthday cake which was a lovely touch.

We had some of the cake but far too much so shared with our Kenyan friends on the beach.

That was not the end - in the evening 'our' usual table was decorated excellently by Bettie, Stella and Mahmoud whom I think had a hand in that too. Large banners, balloons. poppers flashing lights, palms etc and once more a beautiful cake and arrangement and birthday card from all the staff was brought to the table and the whole of the staff sung 'happy birthday' and then sang my favourite song Malaika.
We had the lobster that evening and I must say it was perfect!!

Our next port of call was the orphanage and luckily Kerry the founder had just returned from the UK where the yearly annual ball is held with raffles etc and Kerry depends on this for her budget throughout the year and I believe £15000 was raised.
She arrived right on time and it was a bit dicy at first but we managed to get all the kilos into her van. When we were nearing Footprints she told us to shut our eyes and all the children were standing with a big sign 'Welcome Anne and Jim' with Heart of Midlothian football strips and a huge big saltire flag behind them. That was me off!! Not literally but moved.
We were taken to the dining area and given a refreshing large glass of mango juice - I had already asked the hotel if they could bake a cake for the children and they did a 2 kilo gorgeous cream cake iced in pink with Anne and Jim loves you all in icing on the top.It was huge and very beautiful. I also took out some extra decorations and the children loved these especially the poppers.

We emptied all the goodies and clothes on their table and even I was amazed at the amount of goods we had amassed.
The children were so well behaved and did not grab a thing until we gave out to each and everyone.
The staff also received gifts and I have never seen such appreciation from everyone.
The table was cleared and we had lunch with them all - potatoes and green bananas which were delicious.
Then the cake was brought out with candles and sparklers and and a special candle that flashed. They all blew out the candles and I was given the honour of cutting the cake which all received and also seconds as it would not keep in the heat.
Personally and Kerry agreed it does not harm them to have a treat once in a while. Morrissons were very generous giving me 12 boxes of Roses chocolates plus other items which I took out and Kerry took charge of these and it will be her decision when and where to give them.!
The two housemothers have a hard job doing the washing and had started when we were there but what well washed clothes and what a huge number of washing lines.
We were than shown around once more and I must say the rooms are very clean and tidy and all clothes neatly folded and toys put away.
Apparently the General Manager of Thomson has visited plus other managers and were very impressed with the way this orphanage is run.
Contrary from what I have heard on the grape vine the children are happy,contented and very well nourished+.
The reps have the sanction to announce this orphange in their welcome speech by the gm for people to visit. As Kerry says it is not a zoo but people have come back saying what a marvellous time they have had at the orphanage as we did.
We were taken to another room where the children san and danced for us and even got us up to dance - another tear to the eye.

One of the books that I had given had a video in it and the boys were dying to see it but Kerry wanted to show us the video of the ball therefore we watched that and what beautiful tables and what a wonderful evening they had. The children were all crowded round and a little girl could not see properly therefore I took her on my knee and she casually put her arm around my neck and held my other hand. We had to laugh at the children when the goods were brought out as the word 'posh' came out of the mouths of babes when they saw something they liked.
It was lucky we did not buy maize as they were well stocked and it would have gone off therefore when Uncle Patrick took us home after being kissed and cuddled by all the children (one lof the bigger girls told me to come back soon - I think Eliza) we stopped off at a special store in Ukunda and bought 10 kilos of sugar and beans which they needed.
What a lovely day and we can't wait to go back in 2012.

I now believe Kerry has achieved two of her visions a second hand Matatu bus to ferry the children to the beach for an outing and a fridge/freezer run off the generator therefore I hope our contribution helped in some way.

After we came back I went up to Diani hospital as Kerry had suffered badly from malaria and also the children just before we came out and asked Dr Rajipul if he would sponsor the orphanage with malaria tablets which he agreed to do.

The last few days were not so good weather wise - very bad rain but no worse in Edinburgh - we had our pack a macs so braved the rain with 2 hotel umbrellas and lunched at the African Pot several times and other restaurants.

All too soon the holiday came to an end but we shall certainly be returning in 2010 god willing and soon.

The hotel is beautiful, the pools are one of the biggest in each Africa, jacuzzis, swim up bar and beautiful white powder sands although the first 2 weeks were roasting the tides were very high and one night I could not sleep for the crashing of the waves and discovered fishing boats amongst the sun beds in the morning and the tide had come right over the fence into the gardens and also I think the Maria came onto the beach.

Thanks also to the animation team for their hard work - never a dull moment with them but they don't force you to do anything you don't wish.

I did actually buy a beautiful carving and stork for the garden but when we were taking the decorations down from the loft we discovered a large and it was large chess table and pieces hidden away with two beautiful carved chairs and a wall hanging made of rosewood and two carvings unwrapped and the house is stocked!I don't know where to put them.

May I just say to one of our page boys Juma aged 12 for the loss of his dad Klaus whom we have known since 1996 and passed away the beginning of December aged 33 which came as a big shock to us all.He was at the ceremony.
Our thoughts go out to his family at this time. I cannot and my husband cannot believe we will never see him again.

We did so may things that I forgot to say thanks to Islam for setting the rugby match on the lounge TV which we watched although disappointed we lost.
Also for the beautiful carving we won in the quiz.

Thanks Louis and Nancy for the items in the shop and also to my favourite boutique 'Ina's ' in the main shopping centre for the lovely clothes I bought and good to see the indoor/outdoor restaurant up and running by the kind British lady and man.

Ali Barbours does not change nor the Forty Thieves - we have done all the trips thrice over or more and quite honestly did not have the time to do any this time.

Niels it was great to have our chats - You run a good ship and also Joy, Patrick, Julius and I could go on with names but asante sana to you all and all the best for a good 2012.

Also lovely to see James the previous GM come into the hotel and have a drink with him and talk about old times

We personally believe (others may not) that this is the most consistinent and well run hotel on the South Coast and will be returning in 2012 hopefully sooner than later.

I know the boats will be getting ready on the lawns for hogmanay (New Years Eve) and I wish I could be there!!

Room Tip: Worth paying for a seaview room.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank malaikascotland
There are newer reviews for Southern Palms Beach Resort

Reviewed November 27, 2012

Nice hotel but...... if you want to relax forget it. We were there for 2 weeks, and no way we could have a walk in the beach or even seat there. Also in the swiming pool. Everyone is asking you for money in " different " ways and sometimes I was asked for massage three times during the they , after saying NO to the same people , over and over again... the selles at the beach don't leave you alone, but this is not the fault of the Hotel of course, but since their own employees were so pushy, they could instruct them not to do so. Anyway, the hotel was somewhat clean, apart from the awful smell that came from the sink, everytime we wanted to brush our teeth.(be aware that you must do that with mineral water). Another annoying thing was to sign for everything you consume. The bracelet you have don't mean much, and everytime you ask for a drink, or a snack, you have to sign it , and put your room number, bracelet number , etc, etc... The people were very friendly, but some of them want to catch your attention, playing victims of diseases, and I didn't find this nice.
The Country is a big mess , so be prepared.

Room Tip: I believe all the rooms are the same , but the ones next to the swimming pool are more noisy, as the...
Reviewed November 27, 2012

we have just returned from holiday in southern palms mombasa we spent seven days there and found it to be just as i remembered in july of 2010 , the room was exactly the same the gardens and pools all beautiful. we stayed all inclusive and alot of the staff remembered myself and husband including the taxi driver who picked us up at the airport, and various hotel staff it was like visiting relatives lovely.

Room Tip: All rooms face the swimming pools and there are only 3 floors to each block.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank fireopalManchester
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Let me start with the positive stuff. The pool area and beach were really nice. The italian restaurant and the grill were also good, and we did enjoy our stay in general.

However, there are some things that could be better. After staying at four lodges on a safari week we expected this to be a level up in comfort and standard. It wasn't.

For me it all starts and ends with the rooms. They don't seem like they've been renovated for at least 20 years. The tiles in the bathroom were cracked in a few placed, the color were faded and the blender for the shower should be replaced. The rooms should get better sound proofing, it was way too easy to hear what went on outside and in the neighbouring rooms.

There are also some easy fixes for the rooms. The beds and pillows were hard, and the cover was just a plain blanket, that didn't seem to fresh. The drapes were too thin, so they weren't able to darken the room. This should be easy stuff to fix, right?
We asked the staff about the pillows, but they didn't understand at all. They thought they were soft and that was it.

The main restaurant was a bit of a dissapointment. There were around 20 dishes, but always more or less the same, and none of them were cooked with any particular skill or with any love. I'd much rather have 2-3 dishes that were different every day and cooked under the supervision of a trained chef. Most of the food was quite tasteless, they almost seemed afraid of using spices. When we ordered from the menu for lunch quite often our orders came at different times, so the first person had almost finished when the second person got his/her food. Not exactly four star standard in my book.

Regarding the staff, some were very good, I'll give them that. However, I'm not sure if we were unlucky to get in contact with some very inexperienced staff or if that's simply their way. Examples:
* When we wanted to switch dinner for lunch one day, because we were going out to eat in the evening it took 30 minutes to arrange this, and we had to sit and wait the entire time. This can't be the first time they got this request?
* Sometimes at breakfast, especially when we were early, a staff member would just come to our table and stand there, looking at us eating. Creepy.
* Do we really need one person to show us a table, one to take the drink order and a third to take the food order? More than once they didn't remember the order or made a mistake. How about one server per table that takes care of everything?

On our last day we were invited to what they called a "management coctail party", which more or less was a welcoming meeting. This is symptomatic of this hotel. They have a great will to do something, but somewhere it goes a little wrong. If we had gotten this the first day we would probably used some more of their services, like wind surfing or diving.

Also remember that diani beach is far off. Anything remotely fun is around an hours drive away, and you have to take a ferry to get into mombasa.

If we return to Kenya we'll probably try another hotel.

Room Tip: There's entertainment going on until 23 every day. If you like that you can ask for a room close...
1  Thank Henrik L
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Spent a fantastic relaxing all-inclusive week at this beautiful hotel after a busy safari - can't fault it. Staff are lovely (with the odd exception, but everyone occasionally has a bad day!), and a few KS now and again works wonders. Food and drink excellent, pools and grounds beautiful and very well kept. Some people complained about the music/noise from daytime animation activities and evening entertainment, but we were lucky to have a room at the quiet (reception) end of the hotel so it wasn't a problem. Also the pool at this end is very quiet - we used the loungers near the Fountain Bar where the breeze wafts the spray to keep you cool. Bed was a little on the hard side, and rooms could do with a coat of paint, but were kept spotlessly clean. After a couple of nights we realised that the air conditioning wasn't working properly so we mentioned it to the maid and within a couple of hours an engineer arrived to fix it so we were nice and cool for the rest of our stay.

Beach is beautiful but the local traders/hangers on can be a nuisance when you just want a quiet walk. The animation team do a beach walk each morning, alternating left and right and we found this was the best way to see it properly without hassle. Evening entertainment was low-key but this is a place for relaxation so what do you expect.

The only downside was the transfer from Mombasa airport - unfortunately ours was late Friday afternoon and the queues for the ferry were horrendous. What should have been a 1 hour max journey took 3 hours. The trip back the following week would have been just as bad, and we would have missed our flight, had our driver not pre-bribed the ferry security police to let us jump the queue! Maybe other times of the day/week are less busy.

Room Tip: Rooms at the reception end of the hotel are much quieter. Those nearer the beach get noise from day...
Reviewed November 16, 2012

We have stayed in the Southern Palms on a number of Occasions and really enjoy the laid bak atmosphere and lovely grounds. The wooden furniture in the rooms give the hotel a lovely Afircan feel and the rooms are beutifully clean. The proximity to the beach is suuperb. We have always found the staff helpful and friendly. We travelled with two children and so booked interconnecting rooms. They don't have too many of these and so it is worth booking early. The entertainment in the evening is varied and good. The food is very good and there is a lot of choice.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank kenyantrains
Reviewed November 16, 2012

The place is well located in Diani, with a nice beach. The set-up is ok, but, there is a big “BUT”, the staff.
Slow. Unprofessional for any respectable tourist. Full of all types of [--].
It is true that we came there for the sea-sun-nature, but the contacts with the local staff is disappointing from all points of view. Imagine that they are acting like bureaucrats, like government employees, they treat you with no respect and no courtesy; they show you their superiority of being locals over you a tourist in their country.
“Muzungu, you are here just for a while, but we are here for centuries, take it how it is, or we make your stay a hell, and anyway we take your money.”
That is the message what I got in this place.
Overall, if you are able to disregard the full-of-crap African-Kenyan attitude, the stay will be ok. As I said the sea, the nature and the weather fully compensate any human contact encounter.
BORING-BORING-BORING: The evening shows.
A group of so call “animators”, “entertainers” are running a so call traditional show in order to fill your time before you go for sleep.
They did this show for years and years, nothing was changed. The same fat dancers, in contract with the resort, the same “lazy-let me to finish the show again-oh yes Muzungu there is nothing you can do about” attitude, permanently present around the resort.
THE BUFFET
Average food quality, again the staff too bored to provide any good service (unless a boss is in the area, when they run and run desperately to please the boss and to not get fired), dirty local fruits chopped disgraceful, chemical creamy cakes, made from cheap powders, which taste sandy and chlorine, sauces present full month until smbdy might refresh the composition, strange salads, probably remixed for days.
DRINKS AT THE BAR
Totally, totally overpriced. A Tusker (famous local bear) in the shop 100 Ksh, in a normal bar 120-150-200 Ksh, in Southern Palms Beach Resort, 350 Ksh. Two hundred metters on the beach to the right, a nice beach bar is giving you the fair price.
GENERAL IMPRESION
They make all to give as cheap service and as cheap food is possible in order to take your money. The policy is, “ANYWAY YOU ARE FOR THE FIRST AND THE LAST TIME HERE, SO TAKE IT”
A traditional Asian managed joint, with a German so call hotel manager, present there just for the image, where you are treated like a milking cow.
Enjoy the stay.