1,463 results
All reviewsthe grillmain restaurantbeach boyshalf boardall inclusive packagenyama chomaanimation teamwater aerobicsf b managerday safarievening entertainmentmasai dancerschoice of restaurantsbeach volleyballindian foodfantastic holidaybeach bar
Reviewed November 20, 2011

I've just spend 9 days at Southern Palms Beach Resort and the first impression was very nice.
We were welcomed with a welcome drink while we signed in.

We asked about upgrading to all-inclusive and had to pay USD 25 a day (they said it was a bargain and we liked the idea so we went with it.)
But - the guy told me they had to get the money in cash (no credit card) - USD only, and since I didn't have enough on me they send me to the bank to get some.
That took me a couple of trips to the bank and I spend at least an hour in doing this - and then it turned out that when we left we could pay the bill with VISA - that's just not ok!!!

Also had to pay for the safe box at the hotel.

The room was nice - but I don't really understand why the maid has to come in to get tips/towels - then go away and return later with water and new towels... Later somebody comes in to check the minibar... It just seems like a lot of people having to walk in and out of the room.
They also locked our minibar - the only thing we had put in there were some water that we got on all inclusive - weird!

The pool and bar areas were nice - the food ok - seems they want everyone to be able to eat everything - but guess that's just the way it is.
If you want to eat at one of the restaurants besides the main buffe one in the night you have to make reservations. We tried the grill - very nice concept but the meet was without any taste! A pitty.

We had a guest coming and they did not handle this very nice - they showed up 2 persons while we were at the pool - saying we should come to the reception - very "serious" and they wanted money before he could stay and use the pool.
He was our guest and was spending money all day long - but it seems like this hotel wants to tweak out as much money for anything as they possible can.
I would recommend the management of the resort to be more open and friendly - they could learn something from the very nice people that works in the bars and restaurants!

On the day of departure we had to check out at 10.00 and would like to keep a room untill 15.30. The guy in the reception said we had to pay Euro 70 - but he would see if he could do something so we didn't have to pay.
When he came down to us he whispered that we could make a deal Euro 35 if he got the money without anyone noticing - I'm sure that guy and the ones he might shared it with does good money on this one!

The hotel could use a little work over - new towels could be a start. Some were really worn - and they always smelled like they wasn't dried correctly - not a nice smell.

I'd go back to this place if the price is right since we felt very safe and the general things were nice - but the small things that I have described took away the "wow" factor.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank KennethDK
Southern P, Guest Relations Manager at Southern Palms Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2011

Dear sir,
Thank you for your candid feedback about our hotel we appreciate your input towards improving our services
About the unfulfilling encounter you had , we are glad to inform you that we are in the progress of putting up an in-house laundry that will ease the bulk of our current service provider and reduce the traffic in and out of the rooms by the room stewards.
As for the payment for an up grade where you had to pay cash, other means of payment are acceptable. This and the little deal for a late check-out, has been investigated and the individual dealt with accordingly. we assure you we are working towards having staff who embrace Integrity.
Having said these, we are once again gratefull for your choice to spend your holiday with us and look forward to receiving you back to our hotel.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

We stayed there for a week. It's a lovely hotel with nice and clean rooms. The food is very good - you can choose between a few restaurants in the hotel. The pool area is great. The beach is lovely, white sand and warm sea.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Manonn
Reviewed November 18, 2011

My husband booked this hotel for 11 nights to celebrate his 50th Birthday and our Silver Wedding Anniversary.On arrival we had pre booked a taxi with Dianni taxis via the internet to avoid being delayed as we suspected some people wouldn't have got their Visas in advance before they travelled and we wanted to get to the hotel quickly.The hotel looked lovely in the brochure but was even better in real life.We had a lovely warm welcome and were given a coconut drink before being helped with our luggage to our room.The transfer took 1 hour 30 mins which included a 10 minute ferry crossing. The selection of food was brilliant and we ate everything from salads, grilled fish and meat to italian dishes.Their is a separate Grill and Italian restaurant which you need to pre book in advance with the lady outside the main self service restaurant - both were very good and included in the all inclusive package.There was also a Lebanese restaurant which sadly we didn't manage to try.You have to pay extra for this.The beach bar and pool bars were very good with an excellent selection of drinks.The swim up pool bar was a good way to meet people and also to cool of from the heat as it was very hot when we were there.The Pools are huge.If you like water aerobics these are on daily at 10.30 and 5 pm and a great way to keep fit.The beach was lovely and clean and I didn't have any hassle from the beach sellers if you politely said no thank you.Most of the time the locals just wanted to talk to you After we returned from a Safari in the Masai Mara we took a walk right out of the hotel entrance and discovered a great little supermarket and souvenir shop about a 10 min walk.There was also a nice bar/restaurant which we tried out.Next door to this parade was Diani beach hospital so I decided to pop in and buy some more Malaria tablets as only my husband had a supply of these which we initially shared.They were very cheap far cheaper than a private prescription in the UK.Had very few bites which for me is unusual and didn't need to use Deet at all in the complex.All the staff were very friendly and the person that kept our room clean was brilliant.We saw a few monkeys in the complex but no bush babies. I would certainly recommend this resort and we have decided to come back again for longer in 2013.Usually I don't need really high factor sun cream but here the sun is far stronger than say the Carribean so would recommend a minimum of factor 30 for the months of October/November.
The hotel gift shop is very good and has a great selection of local goods such as carved wooden masks animals etc.All in all a brilliant holiday.Had we not allready booked our holidays for next year we would have been back in 2012.Felt sad to leave!!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank monketteDouglasIOM
Reviewed November 18, 2011

we stayed there for 2 weeks in august 2011 for our honeymoon.
The resort is very cleam and tidy, the service was always excellent, staff are always on hand to help and they work very hard indeed.
the food- fantastic standard and always a good choice, you dont have to eat the same thing twice if you dont want to as there is enough choice. I would thouroughly recomend a trip to eat out at "Alibarbours" restaurant if you want a change of scenery- it was amazing!
Watch out for the one armed monkey who patrols the hotel!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Me and my partner, 28 & 31 years old stayed here for 2weeks all inclusive from the 29th September and I can honestly say that we couldn't fault the place at all, it's fantastic. The staff are so helpful and friendly especially lillian who runs the main restaurant and Francis the waiter also Philip and asif the entertainment staff. The food is delicious, didn't get bad once and we had sea food many times, has plenty to choose from and even the drinks are good, the beauty salon and gym facilities are also excellent, the pools are huge with swim up bars and the place is spotless. The hotel also has its own dive centre, we went out with them and were lucky enough to spot the hump back whale, turtles, blue spotted rays along with loads of other marine life. We went on a 3 day safari to tsavo east and west, wow..! We seen everything except the rhino, it's a must do. We booked through our Thompson rep, Livingson who is so helpful, but don't be afraid of booking with the beach boys, they are selling genuine safaris along with various other excursions at a much cheaper price than your rep. Try spending a little time with them and have a chat, they are nice people just trying to make a living in a tough place theres no need to be afraid of them, take some old cloths and shoes for them and they will trade you for wood carvings etc, they really have very little in life and the smallest of things make them so happy. We went to wasini island to see the dolphins and go snorkeling with valentino the beach boy and it was class, he also took us through the local village, what an eye opener, take sum things for the kids, books sweets etc. I do ramble on a bit, could go on and on about this place and it's people, it's amazing. Don't listen to those people who nit pick and complain, make your own mind up when u go and experience it and I bet you love it. We did and are going back for 2013 new years eve, can't wait! Hope this has been helpful to you. Thanks again Southern Palms x!

• Stayed: October 2011