“EXCEPTIONAL HOLIDAY & SAFARI (www.twittravelandsafari.com)”

Jacaranda Indian Ocean Beach Resort
Ranked #16 of 29 Hotels in Diani Beach
London, United Kingdom
“EXCEPTIONAL HOLIDAY & SAFARI (www.twittravelandsafari.com)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2012

We have been back for just over a week and we are still raving about this FANTASTIC holiday. We booked into the Indian Ocean Hotel and had a wonderful time. The hospitality was 100% and they all made us very welcome. On arrival after a very exhausting journey from the airport, we were greeted with smiles and a nice fresh juice and a hot towel, which believe me, is most welcoming. They then showed us around the hotel and then to our room. The room was lovely and we could hear the crashing waves which was nice. We were all inclusive which to start with was a little confusing but after a chat with our holiday rep all was ok.

You have to sign for everything you have and you have to pay extra for non local drinks. The seafood restaurant is very nice and if you are all inclusive you get discount there which can make it a cheaper night, well worth a visit. They have a team who work there called the Animation team. Basically they get you up doing stuff like keep fit in the water and water volley ball. They are very entertaining.

Now for the safari. We were blown away. Firstly we booked through Twit Travel & Safaris (twittravelandsafaris@gmail.com). See their Facebook page as well.

We saw so many animals and it was all down to our guide. For the 3 days he took us every morning and evening out to see the animals and he just knew where to look. We saw Impala, warthogs, zebra, wildebeast, buffalo,giraffe,elephant and the lions. We could'nt believe how close we were to them. The lions were no more than 8 feet away from us and the elephants walked right passed us. They acted as though we were'nt there. We felt completely safe.
The lodges were amazing. They were all different and had there own qualities. We went to Tsavo west for 1 night and stayed in the Kilaguni lodge, then onto Amboseli the 2nd day to the Amboseli Serena Lodge. Then on the last day we went to Taita hills and stayed at Salt lick lodge.

We also did Mombasa city tour which was very informative and eyeopening. saw old town, fort jesus, market & locals plus the tusks which i think was great idea. Ukunda village tour was particulary humbling & satisfying. Saw how locals, went to an orphanage school which was the peak of our holiday. Booked & arranged by Twit Travel & Safaris which we highly recommend. If you want to book safari or excursion, be sure to check with Twit Travel & Safaris on what they have to offer. They have the best bargain!

All in all we had the best holiday ever and it will always have a special place in our hearts. Hope you find this read helpfull.

Room Tip: Choose upstairs room.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Polish first
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

I stayed here on a weekend break after working in Nairobi. I was by myself and the staff took me under their wing, showed me around, walked with me, took me on tours even occupied me while I was dining alone! They even managed to organise a telephone call to Australia free of charge! They may have confused my names and called me by my family name for 5 days, but I can't fault the service.

Facilities were great. I was very impressed with the whole place. Would go back

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

Nice resort in the quiet part of the beach. Nice rooms and hotel grounds. Little far from the center of Diani, but you could easily get there by taxi. Nice people working there in the resort.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
surrey, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2012

Third time back at this hotel. We booked directly with the hotel to gain a reduction off residents rates, the lovely manager Dennis helped us. As a alrge family e booked two rooms. Each room has a huge double bed, an extra single bed and also a spare mattress available. The rooms have ens uite bathrooms with complimentary toiletries.
The room was cleaened daily although at random times.
Our room was facing the beach which was lovely to wake up to everyday
We stayed ovver new years which meant celebrating within the hotel. They set up a truly lovely buffet meal outside with shows to amuse all evening. The kenyan government refused fireworks due to threats from Al Shabaab but the stuff worked really hard to make it a special event in any event
The pool is large and clean. It was quite annoying that the sunbeds were moved onto the beach and as with many hotels you have to be up really early to get them. Same with towels, often by 10am there were no clean towels available. Thatd be my only negatives becasue otherwise the hotel is fab
Family ranging from 5 years to 60 years al had a lovely time.
Diani is abeautiful stretch of Kenyan beach. The beach to the front of the hotel is clean, white sand. There is little coral in this area so there can be waves. Next door is a watersports company who hire (free for 45 mins) boogie boards etc
Staff are all lovely

Room Tip: Ask for a beach view
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2012

I stayed at the Jacaranda last September when I visited Mombasa for a workshop. After checking out the website, I was excited and I hoped that the reality would live-up to the picture painted by the website.

It certainly did and much much more. The Jacaranda Indian Ocean Beach Club is about an hour from the airport (with no traffic), which includes a ferry ride. The chalets are spacious and beautiful, designed in what I imagine is safari-style. All chalets open-up to a verandah. Ours faced the ocean, which meant we could enjoy the sunsets and sunrises from our room front.

The rooms are kept immaculately clean and in the evenings, the mosquito nets are let down and the rooms sprayed with insecticide to protect guests from the mosquitoes.

The staff were wonderful and warm. I stayed on after my workshop was over and got to know many of them by name. The Jacaranda is both welcoming for people travelling in groups or solo. I didn't feel lonely after my colleagues had left. Infact, I was busier than ever thanks to the wide array of water sports. With the experienced instructors, I learnt to scuba dive in the pool and booked a dive in the ocean the next day. This alone was the most memorable part of my visit and for that alone the Jacaranda will always hold a special place in my heart.

For the active guest, aside from scuba diving, activities available include snorkelling, jet skiing, boat rides. The resort was also a stop on some safari trips, though I believe these trips had to be arranged before-hand. The resort also organised nightly entertainment by the pool, which ranged from fashion shows to acrobatic acts to dancing for all.

For the guest who just wants to take things easy, they can spend the day on the beach, walking across the grounds, sample the wonderful cuisine, enjoy the spa services, or organise sight-seeing or shopping trips into Mombasa. I did all of these and also curled-up in the window seat in my chalet and read for hours.

For people who prefer urban environments, this might not be an ideal holiday spot for you. There were only 3 or 4 TV channels available in my room. And during my stay, there was no Internet access available in the chalets (you could however get online in the business center). So if being connected to the outside world is of prime importance to you, again the Jacaranda might not be your cup of tea. But I would guess that most people who come here are looking for a quiet-ish break.

If you want a vacation for the entire family, are a solo traveller who needs a break from it all, or are seeking a serene environment for a workshop or conference, I would highly recommend the Jacaranda. And even for the most hyper traveller, the Jacaranda is a fantastic holiday spot, albeit perhaps for only a few days.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank MsOreoluwa
Newbury Park, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

I stayed at this resort in 2005 and loved it so much I stayed again in 2007. The hotel was once glorious and one of the nicest hotels in south Mombasa. I booked it this January for my honeymoon and was SOOooo disappointed in how far it had gone downhill. The rooms used to be beautiful and sparkling, but they have not been kept up. The first room we were given smelled so badly of mold, we had to switch rooms. The room also had a hole in the window where bugs were crawling in. In the second room, both lamp shades were broken, the curtains were torn, and the bedding was stained. The service at the hotel was quite poor. There was across the board (with the exception of a few front desk people), a very lazy, slow, "unattentive" attitude with the staff. It was so across the board, that it must come down from management. At lunch, my husband and I played a game of how many chapters of my book I could read before we received our order. I read 3 chapters, more than an hour, before receiving our order of burger and fries. When our room was cleaned each day, the steward would take ALL of our towels and not replace them. We called in for new towels...3 hours and two more calls later we received them. The towels were all in shreds and looked like rags. Additionally, we were without water on and off for two days. We could not take showers when we wanted to and had to make numerous calls to the front desk to get an update on when water was going to be turned back on. The lazy service is not typical of other resorts I have been to in Africa and in Mombasa. It was really quite sad to see this resort go so downhill. South Mombasa is littered with resorts that have been abandoned and gone to the baboons because of mismanagement and I think this one is on its way there. On another note, the beach in front of the resort continues to be amazing. The snorkeling outings and weather in Diani Beach is awesome. I just would recommend finding another resort and there are many to choose from.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marci S
Herts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Jacaranda Indian Ocean Beach Club/Resort (JIOBR) for 3 nights before Christmas. The hotel is about 1hr 45mins drive from Mombasa Intl airport.

On arrival we received a warm welcome and were quickly shown to our room (Room 241). We had booked a club ocean facing room, which turned out to be just the perfect location as we were about 5 Meters away from the beach and with perfect views of the ocean from our room. Great!

Reception - The room induction was not great with the very obvious being shown to you (eg this is your sink, soap and TV), rather than key things such as phone numbers for housekeeping, reception, where to find restaurant(s) for breakfast, lunch or dinner and their opening/closing times, use of the aircon etc. As we arrived at about 11:00am (minus breakfast), we asked the Receptionist if we could have a snack delivered to our room and she said she would arrange for this. After about an hour of waiting we went to Reception to enquire only to be informed by the Receptionist that she had forgotten to respond as when she returned to Reception there was lots of other things to do!

Room - comfortable double bed, with turn down service. The room came equipped with a mosquito net which was necessary as the evenings are balmy. The only complaint about the room is the bathroom which is in need of a complete upgrade - the shower head is silted and hardly allowed any water for a shower. We resorted to filling the tub instead. The bath enamel is cracked and stained, and the taps were heavily lime scaled. The overall bathroom workmanship and finishing could and should have been better for the price JIOBR charge for their rooms.

Meals - We found the lunch buffet in general a bit bland and uneventful. However, an effort was made at Breakfast and Dinner time. The puddings/breads were however left open/exposed therefore risk of flies getting to them before guests can complete their main meal. (Management please note!)

Staff - Staff at the restaurants were very helpful and friendly and on each occasion we were quickly shown to a table on arrival. They were attentive, however, sometimes to the point of being overwhelming. The waiters are well-meaning, however, management could benefit from allocating specific waiter to a table(s) so that guests don't have to keep repeating their order and confirming you are ‘ok'. The hotel was 50-60% full at the time we visited so it may well explain the unusual availability of so many staff at meal times.

Pool/beach - Service and security by the pool/beach was good apart from the pool attendant who was somewhat 'dour'.

All in all we enjoyed our stay at the JIOBR. The beauty of its location makes up for several of its shortcomings.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean facing club room, for great view, privacy and quick access to the beach.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple