WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Diani Beach
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Arabian Princess worthy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Felt like an Arabian princess when I walked in here. Great views, great hospitality, phenomenal inter-locking pools and some wonderful relaxation areas.

There just seems to be few entertainment options but I guess if you here to relax, thats exactly what you get!

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
  • Polish first
nairobi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

We had an excellent vacation in this very superb hotel..we got a free upgrade to the superior deluxe rooms facing the sea,no words can even describe the whole experience.. Breathtaking or should I say paradise, wow!The interiors are Zanzibar style, nicely decorated with attention to detail. The scenery is very serene, a lot of Palm trees and pretty flowers that give you the coastal feeling.Would definitely return for a much longer stay.

The highs-
-The many swimming pools that cascade downwards towards the beach area make up a million times for the beach that is missing because of the coral reef.Nice chill out area.
-The mattress was extremely comfortable, the curtains dark and the bed is very spacious.
-The staff went out of their way to make our stay pleasant,a very special thank you to Julius for the personal touch and interest in us.You made our stay very special....
-The bar in the pool area with bar seats mmmmhh very nice.

The lows-
-No wifi connection in the rooms,only in the lobby and pool area.
-The food variety is a bit down, creativity and variety needed here a lot.
-The entertainment during dinner is also dull, perhaps different theme nights can be organized

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Cleanliness
2 Thank faith m
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

Fabulous hotel. Staff go the extra mile to accommodate your needs and make you feel special. Rooms are spacious and well apportioned. Will definitely come back. Worth every cent. Only problem was bad wi-fi connection in rooms. Hope its been fixed now.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Anne A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

We had a fantastic 8 days at Swahili Beach last month, we were ecstatic when the reservations manager confirmed that we could hold our wedding there. My husband and I live in the UK and so all our wedding arrangements were done via email with the food and beverage manager - Griffin. Griffin was amazing to work with and gave us his personal mobile number and was always available to talk and meet up. The night before the wedding Griffin met up with us to have a last run through, he's an asset to Swahili Beach. The staff honestly went out of their way to make sure we were happy and our requests were met.

We booked several rooms for our wedding party who were all upgraded to superior rooms. We were upgraded to a suite which was magnificent! We were in awe of our room which was larger than most apartments in London! Everything you would want, storage, fridge, sofa, super soft cotton clean white sheets you will find at Swahili Beach. The turn down service was a nice touch, we certainly felt spoilt and didn't want to leave.

The food at the restaurant was delicious, fresh, hot and plentiful. Being a large group I was aware that maybe not everyone's needs would be met. I was pleasantly surprised, my husband who is gluten intolerant found something to eat every morning and evening. My daughter (20month old) also had lots to choose from. The beach restaurant is lush, fresh, tasty and filling meals are only an order away. I advice anyone going to swahili beach to take advantage of the free afternoon tea and coffee. Where you can sip on delicious full bodied Kenyan coffee or tea while watching the sun set.

The spa is luxurious and a lot of effort has gone into kitting out the gym and spa to international standards. I've been to other hotels on the Kenyan Coast and they can't compete with what Swahili Beach has on offer. They also provide free water for guests which is a nice touch. For the wedding preparations I had a manicure by a lovely woman called Martha (I believe). It was refreshing having a girly conversation while having my nails done, which looked lovely.

Our wedding day was a dream come true in a paradise setting. The staff who cooked on the day as we had live cooking and the waiters really gave our wedding that extra feel of luxury. The duty manager and other managers also came to our evening reception to pass their well wishes which was a nice touch. They really did become part of the family, whenever we saw any of the managers around the hotel they would stop, greet us and check that we were happy at Swahili Beach. The managers at Swahili are visible and interact with their guests, which I know a lot of coast hotels don't do. Customer service is world class here, I've stayed at 5 star hotels in London where the customer service doesn't match that of Swahili. We felt at ease and valued during our whole stay.

I will be putting pictures of our wedding just to show how amazing it really was. Despite the misinformation we have been given in the UK I wouldn't hesitate in traveling back to Swahili. We hope to return next year for our anniversary. The security in the hotel is tight, there's always security staff on the beach making sure you're not hassled. We weren't hassled once and I know in Kenya the beach boys are annoying!

Struggling to find a negative, as I like to keep my reviews impartial. The only niggle would be that more lighting is needed in the communal areas as at night walking to the restaurant from our room we used a torch. Other than that I'm ready to return as soon as possible.

Many thanks for all your hard work ladies and gents at Swahili Beach, missing you all! See you soon !!

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Jemima89
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

You feel like you are a guest in a Swahili Arabic Sultan's Palace....!

The hotel design is superb Swahili style architecture and the interiors are tasteful and modern and yet continue and blend excellently with the Swahili Arabic theme.... stunning.

Stayed in the superior room 25 and Suite 26 and ..... Wow!

Not a single tile is used anywhere in the room - not even the bathrooms which make the finishes used very unique and the luxurious experience is A1.

The cascading and inter-connecting swimming pools are a joy to bubble around and swim in and the water is nice and warm.

The private sun beds and bar facing the ocean are great places to chill out.

The pool bar and restaurant cocktails and food are very well prepared and the main restaurant is an experience of lovely architecture combined with a wonderful food spread!

Now here is the only main drawback ...... not much of a beach fronts the hotel which is a shame but not their fault. The white sand of Diani beaches are world famous but unfortunately this hotel doesn't have the best location for beach lovers.

Room Tip: Ask for the superior rooms - a little more expenseive but.... worth it!!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
      Location
      Cleanliness
1 Thank zippy_travelling
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

Like other reviewers, I think the hotel itself is simply amazing. The rooms are huge, airy, beautifully designed (the bathrooms alone are unlike any I've ever seen at any hotel, and I've stayed in many) and very comfortable. The swimming pool is a multi-level work of art, and no written description does it justice. A lovely feature is the numerous small pools fed by the main pool that lie nestled in almost hidden little nooks and crannies, still part of the main pool but private enough to splash about in on your own or with your family.
My one beef was that the restaurant service tended to be very slow, especially at the beachside restaurant. I know the food (all very good) is freshly prepared, but a wait of over an hour after ordering quite frankly isn't on. This happened more than once. Even something as simple as getting our bill at the end of a very long meal took ages. Still, this is a minor niggle.
This hotel is well-worth a visit.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

It is so sad that many people are afraid to go to the Kenyan coast! They will miss out on real paradises on Earth like Swahili Beach. This is one of the best hotels I have ever been in Africa, believe me, I have been working in twenty eight African countries, lived in seven of them and spent many holidays in many of them in many hotels. But finding one like Swahili Beach is very difficult indeed. All is perfect here: the rooms are all wonderful and wonderfully decorated with huge and beautiful bathrooms, the swimming pool has no equals, with literally millions of liters of water, the sea has the most beautiful Indian Ocean water one can dream of, the spa is excellent, the restaurants offer excellent food and the breakfast is sumptuous. So, if you get a bit of courage and go to the South Kenyan Coast, do not hesitate: this is the place to be. I can recommend it without the slightest hint of a doubt.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent, pay attention not to leave any food on your terrace: big baboons may pay yo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple