“Good beach restaurant”

Ranked #5 of 41 Restaurants in Diani Beach
Cuisines: Pizza, Seafood, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Forty Thieves Beach Bar & Bistro: relax and savour the sensation of waves lapping your toes while having a refreshing cocktail, listen to live music, play bar games, watch water sports and have a delicious lunch with your friends and family.Disco into the early hours of the morning every night.All these can be done at this unique bar, the only one situated actually on the beach on the east African coastline. It is a vibrant atmosphere not to be missed.
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The restaurant is very well located at the beach, with an excellent view. It's a great place to eat or have something to drink during your visit to Diani, it's nicely decorated with confortable armchairs. Prices are OK, and you can choose from plenty of snacks, food and drinks.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Forty Thieves is a real Diani landmark for tourists and locals alike - I had not been in a few years so we decided to drop in for lunch during our stay in Diani. Trying to get into Forty Thieves is puzzling to say the least. There is a security barrier resplendent with Masai watchmen, who even inspected my other half's plastic bag thoroughly and advised us to leave it in the car. I'm not sure what threat is posed by a Factor 30 bottle of sunscreen and a baseball cap? Granted, there are other places that have security procedures on entering, but this level of scrutiny for a beach bar was a bit over the top and put me off when entering.
As a seafood lover I was looking forward to the food and was a bit disappointed. The portions, to be fair, are very generous - but there is much tastier fare at friendlier prices elsewhere in Diani. Not at all how I remember this old haunt, which was disappointing.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Went there for lunch today. Great location, Tuskers were cold! The mojitos were fabulous and the samosas as a starter were tasty even if they took an hour to arrive. At that point we were not too cheesed off because we were comfortable and the drinks were good. Then came the main courses which, honestly, were grim. The tuna salad was without doubt the worst I have ever had anywhere in the world. Tinned tuna, the eggs were grey and the potatoes greyer! The advertised green beans and anchovies were nowhere to be seen. My companion's burgers were also on the grey side. Did they get them from Tescos? We should have complained but quite frankly were glad to get out. To be fair, I saw the other salad on the menu as we were making our way from the restaurant and it did look good. Too late for us I'm afraid.

1  Thank ParishOxford
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Was terrible, I ordered pineapple juice, they stacked ice in my glass first then served it so it was super dilute even though the juice was from the fridge, cost cutting much? went with a pinacolada, bad, then mojito, was dirty it had hair in between the leaves, then thought i cant go wrong with wine, ordered house white, nasty Kenyan wine, Leleshwa the name..... very disappointed

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We didn't eat here (had dinner at Ali Barbour's) but stopped in for a night cap. This is a quintessential beach bar, complete with sand under your feet. It was a pretty standard beach bar, though with nicer furniture, with the breezes coming off the ocean! I wish we had been able to stay for longer.