Open today: 7:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from Pilli Pipa Dhow Safari tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews crab octopus wasini island seafood saw dolphins biscuits marine park dhow safari marine life swim with the dolphins swahili food scuba diving day trip recommended trip picked up from our hotel coral reef an amazing experience
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Great snorkelling but you are manu boats and many groups at the same time so its a bit crowded but we are all about presevartion so we like thats ir controlled and organised. Dont put your feet down or you risk destroying the coralls,just float on the surface with your snorkelling stuff and you will see fish,turtles dolphins and amazing colours.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Started at 11am in an exceptional dhow which was well stocked with snacks for the journey.We were taken for snorkeling with a school of dolphins in the marine park within the ocean.All this was concluded with a delicious and exotic meal comprosing of fish, crab, sea weed and vegetable..lots of glasses of wine...i was a very happy client

Valerie P, Owner at Pilli Pipa Dhow Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you Jane for your kind words, we are so happy that you enjoyed the day. We strive to give guests the best time possible and it's always good to hear that somebody appreciates the marine park experience.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great day at sea.
helpful and service minded staff, Dolphins and snorkeling.
Very nice and tasty Seafood lunch.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This is not meant as a negative review

I walk with a stick and the fact I have mobility issues was obvious to the rep who took my booking as he asked for help for me to get onto and off the boat and up to the restaurant

I was not told any of the following
You have get from the jetty to a small boat
transfer from the small boat to the main Dhow
For lunch again you have to get into the small boat then walk ashore over uneven dead coral then up some steep uneven steps
Going back to the boat was a 10 minute walk for a fit person through jungle stepping over tree roots
Then transfer back to the Dhow and following a short journey again back into the small boat for the trip back to the jetty.

I decided to stay on the Dhow during the lunch break and they brought me out a meal to the boat.

The meal was excellent and they brought me out enough food to feed a family of 4.

I cannot fault the crew they were brilliant every time I had to move someone was there to make sure I was OK and they literally lifted me from the small boat onto the dhow,
Seeing the dolphins and turtles in their natural environment was the highlight of the trip for me.

If I was still able bodied this would have been a fantastic trip and worthy of 5 stars

If I had been given all the relevant information about the trip I would have not gone it and the crew would have been able to spend more time with other people

Valerie S, Owner at Pilli Pipa Dhow Safari, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

You are absolutely right Lynne, this trip was not suitable for you. Our office lady remembers your rep phoning in and she checked that there was going to be high tide that day which meant a bush walk of about ten minutes. The possibility of a ten minute bush walk is mentioned clearly on our brochure as well, so we expect everybody to be aware of this. However, your rep assured us that you could walk and it was just a matter of helping you on and off the boat.

We do not offer the option of lunch on the dhow as it is tricky for our staff to carry food all the way to the dhow, so your case was an exception

Of course we are sorry that you had this inconvenience. This case is actually quite annoying for me personally because I did make a point of sending emails out to all agents and tour operators who sell us, reminding them that our trip is not suitable for the elderly, people in a wheelchair or people who cannot walk well. I did this at the beginning of the season, that is the end of June. I also asked our office staff to remind tour reps by phone. I also pointed out that Pilli Pipa should not be sold as a swimming with dolphins trip. We often have people who seem to think that we have captive dolphins somewhere which is not the case. Pilli Pipa trip is an adventure for snorkellers and divers with lunch on Wasini Island. Of course we do have plenty of fit elderly people who manage alright and love the trip, often coming again, so everybody shouldn't be put off coming. .

Reviewed October 4, 2018 via mobile

Great snorkelling trip, everything was well arranged and the staff and guides were very friendly. Free tip: arrange this via Oranje Safaris, it's €20 cheaper than with TUI or Polmans

Reviewed September 25, 2018

I had really been looking forward to this trip as had done something similar 22 years before. Granted it was a long time ago and things have changed dramatically, but was very pleased to find out they were still doing it.

The unfortunate thing was the day we wanted to go it was raining and the swells in the sea where enormous! The first challenge was the nearly 2 hour drive to where the boats are in the rain and huge construction going on making the relatively short journey very tiring, long and uncomfortable. It will be another 2 years (3 knowing Africa) before that road is completed. When we finally arrived it was windy and just awful. The seas were very rough and honestly we should have not gone out.

We did go out and it was very scary and uncomfortable/cold and wet. The crew were amazing and loved the boat even if it was a little old and the covering didn't work as well as it could have. After some seriously scary moments of the boat tipping we finally made it to gentler seas (still very rough though) and stopped to snorkel. That was great fun but found it tiring as were couldn't just snorkel in a small area so we kept having to swim and snorkel and then got picked up 45 min later. We saw a lot of fish, octopus and turtle which was awesome. We then got back onto the boat and went out further to another snorkeling area which was a little calmer for another 30-45 snorkeling swim. If you are not used to so much exercise, have bad knees or back, in rough seas it is not recommended. A lot of people got sick on and off the boat due to the big swells. This of course was not the companies fault as nature is nature. The guys from the crew who swam with us - 3 of them each time, were patient and awesome and you could rest on the lifesaving ring if tired. Just fare warning if you feet are not used to swimming with flippers, they can get tired and cramp so be careful!

Finally the winds calmed down, the sea wasn't so bad and the sun came out. By now we all just wanted to get to land, for our lunch, which was awesome. Getting off and on the boat was challenging due to the rather small landing area for the island. This could be improved as was a little dangerous, but we all got on and off without too much going wrong.

Our return trip to the jetty was 5 min and in the channel very calm. Of course then we had the 2 hour 'african massage' drive home which wasn't that pleasant. Exhausted and rather weather beaten to say the least.

Overall if the seas had been calm and weather much better it would have been much more fun. Will not go again if the weather is that bad, as just not worth it.

I do want to say the company and all of its crew were amazing looking after everyone and taking good care of all our needs. Appreciate it and will always recommend it so thank you x

1  Thank tamarpeters
Reviewed August 30, 2018

I thoroughly recommend this excursion for a great day out. The crew were well trained and helpful. I travelled out there last week and thoroughly enjoyed myself so am booking again for Christmas. The weather was brilliant and got to see whales which for me was an experience of a lifetime. You also see dolphins, weather permitting. Snorkelling and diving offers you the opportunity to see the underwater world like a garden of Eden full of vivid beauty with varied sea life that reminds you of the wonderful abundance of marine life we take for granted. Excellent place and people who give you the care and attention lacking in many other locations!

Reviewed August 29, 2018 via mobile

although our hotel reception booked with them on the phone they lost track of our booking and never picked us up at 7.15 at our hotel. when contacting them to ask where they are they told us that it was an internal mess up and there is now nothing they could do now ... it was only 30min later! they did not do any effort in assisting, apologizing or organizing an alternative pick-up. worst service ever, don't book with them. we were able to arrange last second a wonderful dhow safari with another company, the owner made our last day of vacation after all the hassle with Pili Pipa a special one. we chartered our private dhow and enjoyed the great service and breathtaking snorkeling sites.

Valerie S, Owner at Pilli Pipa Dhow Safari, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2018

We did apologise profusely Ramona, it is totally untrue to say that we did not apologise and it's very unfair of you to call us an unreliable organisation for one mistake by a staff member. One staff does not make our entire organisation, I hope readers do not think that you paid us and got a voucher then we left you behind. Nothing was paid by you and no confirmation voucher given. We offered you a trip the following day but you were leaving the country. You have been on Pilli Pipa before, saw the good service and that is why you wanted to come again so you know we are not unreliable. We were not able to get you to Shimoni in time to join our Pilli Pipa Dhow and we said it as it was. Arranging an alternative pick up would not have helped as it was already too late. You left mid morning for a private trip somewhere and it is good to hear that you enjoyed that. Totally not nice or necessary to write bad things about us. Rather be happy that you enjoyed your stay in Kenya. Pilli Pipa will continue to give good service as we have done for the past 30 years. .

Reviewed August 27, 2018 via mobile

We booked our trip at the hotel reception. At 7.15 we we're supposed to be pick up at the hotel. 1 hour and several calls later we are still in the hotel.
All in all they forgot to pick us up and they are sorry.
End of the story.

For the general reader this review is written by the person accompanying the 'Unreliable organistaion ' review. So two reviews from two
people who did not come on our trip yet it gives the impression that our dhow safari is a bad service. They did not pay for it or get a confirmation voucher. Therefore, I feel this is not a justified review and it is not true that we did not apologise. People who know us or come on our trip will be the better judge.

Reviewed August 20, 2018

スワヒリビーチホテルの紹介でこのツアーを申し込みました。
一人参加で130USDでした。
泳ぎが不得意な私にも、ライフジャケットを貸してくれて、インストラクターが浮き輪で引っ張ってくれて、サンゴ礁や色々な魚を教えてくれました。
とても楽しかったので、おススメです。

In the introduction of Swahili Beach Resort Hotel, I applied for a day trip by Dow ship to Washini Island. I left the hotel at 7 o'clock and took an hour and a half to Shimoni by car. On the way, the road was not paved and it was rough, and the car swayed considerably.We had a snorkel at two places in Kiste Marine National Park.
Although I am not good at swimming, I borrowed a life jacket, the staff pulled with a floating ring, and I was able to swim very safely.
I was able to see beautiful coral reefs and colorful fish and I enjoyed it very much.
On Dhow ship, we got drinks, biscuits and bread.There was a toilet in Dhow.
We ate lunch at a private residence in Washini Island. Crabs and so on were very tasty. There was a menu for vegetarian.
Leaving Washini Island at 16:00, I visited a slave cave at Shimoni (applicant only).
We returned to the hotel in Diani Beach around 19:00.
The staff was friendly and helpful, and I was able to spend time alone with a lot of fun.
Because the ship will shake very much, people who are seasicks recommend taking medicine.

1  Thank MUMOMO