“Dolphins or no dolphins” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Pilli Pipa Dhow Safari

Pilli Pipa Dhow Safari
Ranked #2 of 38 things to do in Diani Beach
More attraction details
Owner description: Pilli Pipa is an accredited PADI Dive Resort under the name of Firefly Ocean Camp, registration number s22994. We have up to date diving equipment which is replaced regularly. We have excellent dive gear imported and replaced regularly. Contrary to what one reviewer, Roadsmoretravelled, November/December 2013, has falsely put on a review. He did not come on our dhow but was probably told by the Shimoni hotel he stayed at that he was going with Pilli Pipa. We do not dive in 1 or 2 metres of water and we do not have shocking equipment. If you want a wonderful diving experience with professionals, book with Harm Lutjeboer, Pilli Pipa Dhow Safari, PADI and Naui registered, dive base, Firefly Ocean Camp in Shimoni. Not based at Shimoni Reef Lodge. We also take snorkellers to the Kisite Mpunguti Marine Park for an exciting adventure followed by lunch at Pilli Pipa on Wasini Island.
Helsinki, Finland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Dolphins or no dolphins”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

We took a one day dhow cruise with Pilli Pip. You should do the same. The boat, the staff, the food, the location are all good. There`s plenty of diving during the day so you dont get bored. And everybody is looked after according their skill level. The reef where the snorkeling is done do not compare to red sea coral reef etc, but it`s ok. If you get lucky as we did, you can get the opportunity to swim with the dolphins. When a dolphin looks you in your eyes 10 meters below sealevel you know this is the place you have to be. So with dolphins the safari is excellent, without the trip is good. And please try the crab in the restaurant, it`s amazing. If you happen to bumb into a big shephard dog in the lavatory do not be afraid. This can happen :) All the dogs (three of them) on the island are lazy and friendly. So if you are longing your dog, there is even a surrogate dog for you to pet :)

Visited February 2013

• Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Snorkelling trip with Pilli Pipa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

We booked a day snorkelling with Pilli Pipa and had a great time. We were picked up in the morning and transferred to the port by Wasini island. Once on the dhow we had refreshments and sailed off to where the coral reef is to start snorkelling. The crew were absolutely hilarious and made us all feel welcome. They were also really helpful on the snorkelling trip, swimming down to the sea floor to point out rays, octopus, starfish and even brought a puffa fish up for us to hold! Then a seafood lunch was included which was served overlooking the sea and the food was really good.

The only downside was the choppiness of the sea!!! Obviously not Pilli Pipa's fault so I have still given them 5 stars, but I'm not joking when I say it was seriously choppy. 2 of our party were both sick over the side of the boat, so maybe take some travel sickness tablets if you're prone to seasickness!!!!!

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Sarah S
Utrecht, The Netherlands
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Amazing trip and staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We did a trip with our family of 4.
My kids ( 5 and 9 ) are average swimming pool swimmers, my wife is afraid of water BUT Captain Hassan and his team managed to make my wife go in the water and experience the wonders of the ocean! Since then she only talkes about snorkling.
I highly recommend Pilli Pipa to everyone who wants to do a water safari in Kenya!!

Visited January 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Pilli Pipa Trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

Great mid holiday trip! We had already been on safari so this was a nice mini getaway. The tour guides are great and very helpful and the trip to the crab restaurant was fantastic! Definitely worth going.

Visited November 2012
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Don't miss out on this fantastic trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

My mother and I went with Pilli Pipa last week. The whole experience from start to finsih was superb. The very friendly driver picked us up in Likoni where my mother lives and drove us to the jetty/port where you get onto a small boat that takes you out to the dhow. The staff on board were amzingly proffessional and friendly. I have been scuba diving for many years and whilst I didn't dive on this trip, I can say the snorkeling was outstanding! 2 x 45 minute trips.
3 Dolphins
3 turtles
A massive white & black lobster
1 Lion fish
1 Scorpion fish
A blue spotted sting ray
3 Octopus (in rocks)
Clams
1 little eel
Loads of big schools of fish
quite a few big fish (parrot fish was the only one I knew)
Trumpet fish, including a gorgeous yellow one
1 Trigger fish carrying coral
Sea slug, little tiny colorful thing
Bat fish x a million
A massive puffer fish - about a meter in length (unpuffed)
Beautiful electric blue fish
Lots of brightly coloured soft & hard coral & brightly coloured fish!
Crown of thorns
Blue star fish

We then went for lunch at a beautiful place where we had crab and other seafood.

The staff where we had lunch were also fantastic.

I'll upload pictures at a later date.

Fantastic day trip out, brilliant staff and a perfect memory.

Visited December 2012