“Great place to stay”

and 1 more site!
Kenyaways Beach Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 20 Diani Beach B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stayed at Kenyaways with a group of friends in Sept 2011 and had a great time. There's no pool but the premises are right at the beach. The beach is gorgeous, white sand, palm trees, turquoise water, perfect for walking and swimming. There's a peaceful and shady garden and a little restaurant with tasty food and a great cocktail menu. The breakfast buffet is nice and there are daybeds a little elevated from the beach which makes it easier to ignore the beach boys. Right next door is a high end hotel with a great restaurant that serves delicious seafood (oysters etc.) in a very stylish (all white) atmosphere for reasonable prices. It's easy to get into Diani for shopping, dining and going out. Staff at Kenyaways are very friendly, the rooms are clean and cosy and at night you can hear the waves. On the first floor is a beautiful spacious terrace with lots of sofas, cushions and a beautiful view of the ocean. A great place to relax and enjoy.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Linzi1948, Owner at Kenyaways Beach Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

Hi, Thank you so much for your great review. I am sure it is helpful to others who are thinking of coming to stay here as it gives a broad description of what to expect. I am pleased to say Kenyaways does now have a swimming pool which was completed in December 2011. It is a small pool in the forest amongst the trees and monkeys and is so peaceful and different compared to the breezy breachfront. Also, since you were here we renovated 2 more rooms, and have a new restaurant and bar "Madafoos" which is under new management and is doing really well. The bar area has been extended and makes for a very social comfy environment with good food music and company. Hope you come back and see us again with our new improvements! Thanks again!

There are newer reviews for Kenyaways Beach Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Such lovely staff... Couldn't be more helpful and friendly!
Watching the kite surfers provided hours of entertainment for those chilling by the beach

Room Tip: Ear plugs for the morning monkey run across the roof necessary if you value your lay in in the morni...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We spent two weeks in Kenya, firstly at the Papillion Lagoon reef (it was cheap!), a 4 day Safari at Lion's Rock (through beach to bush safaris recommended on the Kenya Ways website) and finally we had 4 wonderful days at Kenyaways. It is the kind of place you meet interesting people, which we did. The decor and design is fab and each room is unique (the only gripe is that for £60 (a lot of money in Kenya) the rooms have a fan, which doesn't really cool you down and I had to wash my hair in the outdoor show as there was no pressure in the water. It wouldn't stop me going back through as it is a wonderful place. The staff were attentive and friendly (the kind you can have a chat too) and couldn't do more to help. Just steps from your room the white sandy beach. It's much quieter where they are situated (less hassle from the beach boys!). The food was interesting and good value. It was a truely memorable trip and a relaxed vibe at Kenyaways.......

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank natraliam
Linzi1948, Owner at Kenyaways Beach Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2012

Hi,
Thank you so much for your glowing review about Kenyaways. My only regret is that you were not satisfied with the room cooling and shower in the bathroom. The climate does take some adjusting to especially if you are used to Air-conditioning and if you were there Mar or April the hot season.
However the showers are usually very powerful and there must have been a problem. Can I ask if you mentioned it to the management as they should have dealt with it while you were there if not after you left or changed you into a different room. It would be very helpful if you could email me with this information. lkennaway@gmail.com
Once again thanks for your review and hope to see you back soon. Linzi

Reviewed April 26, 2012

I spent a week in kenyaways. It was a amazing experience. The staff was extremely friendly and great. They made my stay so worthwhile that I can't wait to go back. The place is very well kept very clean. I can't complain about anything. Anything that I needed they made possible. They helped me book day trips. And trip was a wonderful experience. To all of you in kenyaways who made my vacation more than I could hope for thank you. Hope to see you all again.

Christine

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Christine A
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Myself and a friend only had three nights on the coast. I didn't fancy staying in a big hotel or anywhere that had 'vollyball at 2pm' and could offer conference facilities. This B & B had friendly staff, a laid back atmosphere and they were able to assist with booking trips. We had a big difference in a quote from a driver one day when we returned and the hotel staff called someone and instantly sorted it for us. We had no actual intention of kite-surfing and no-one minded. We met other people staying and everyone was friendly and giving advice on places to eat/visit. Beech towels were provided which was helpful and even an escort to walk us to a restaurant along the beach one night. Breakfast was lovely and went until late if you wanted a lie in- or started early for us one day.
If you want highly attentive or faster service go to a big hotel- if you want to relax and soak up the real feel of the Kenyan South coast go here.

Room Tip: The back building has easy access to the pool and maybe quieter away from the beach but the rooms at...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank uk_beckylee
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Stayed twice with friends visiting Kenya. The location is towards the South of South Coast (Diani), this means the beach is a lot more peaceful, clean, extensive (with finer sand) than several kilometers up by the Nakumatt (main turning point to Diani where other hotels are located). Breakfast is very good, the rooms are simple but comfortable, and the common spaces with good decor are probably the highlight. The property is right on the beach, Blue Marlin and other restaurants are nearby (but most by the Nakumatt) - the only downside is probably the lack of a swimming pool. There is wireless, but the charge is rather high, and connection can be spotty during power cuts. Overall a great place to rest and enjoy Diani.

Room Tip: Resident rates available!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends

Hi, Thank you for your very useful review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and came back for more! I am pleased to say we now have a swimming pool you should come and try out! It is in the forest area which is a lovely change from the breezy beach front and it is surrounded by trees and monkeys with lots more lounging spaces for relaxing and reading. Also, we now offer FREE WIFI for all guests which is now backed up by 2 new routers and seems to be working really well. Except when those frustrating power cuts hit! The bar and restaurant has been renovated too, called Madafoos, which has new management and is a great hit and has a fresh atmosphere. Thanks again and come again soon!

Reviewed February 22, 2012

I stayed here over a weekend with my husband and mom. We arrived in the late evening and when we were taken to our rooms, we had no running water. When we informed the staff, he said he would find out why and never came back. We then went to bed and sometime in the early morning, someone knocked on our door and yelled that there was a bucket of water outside. Not a pleasant wake up call.

My husband talked with the manager the next morning about there being no running water and we were informed that a tank burst and it would be fixed. Understandable, but it put a damper on things especially since we were staying there less than 48 hours and wanted to take a shower especially after working and traveling from Nairobi that night before. Water came back around 4pm but the management didn't seem to really care that customers did not have access to water. When we checked out the next day, we asked if we were going to be comp'd for our inconvenience and the manager was shocked that we even asked. She wanted to charge us for water bottles we had to open up because we didn't have water to wash our hands. You would think that after waiting for running water for 17 hours that they would remove charges for drinks or a meal.

We also stayed in the Torch room but no one informed us that the wall that separates us from the other room in the cottage does not go to the ceiling. This may be okay if you are sharing the cottage with someone you know but it felt like we had no privacy because we could hear our neighbor.

Room Tip: Would recommend the main house that faces the beach. Get a room on the 2nd floor - it had nice deco...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank 246susan
Linzi1948, Owner at Kenyaways Beach Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2012

Dear Susan,

I am writing because I did not get a chance to talk to you over the weekend and I have been meaning to email you. I wanted to apologize for your unlucky stay, we were caught completely unaware with the water situation.
FIrst of all it was a problem from the electrical side as the Kenya Power Service had shorted the float switch somehow which we had no way of knowing until the water had run out. Anyway our Maintenance team came out at 2am and fixed the whole thing so there would be water in the morning with which the whole mains water tank collapsed at around 5 am due to a structure which had given way.
I completely understand your complaint and I am sorry you were not better informed. It was over the weekend and we were running around all over the place filling up toilets with the swimming pool water and trying to get another water tank plus a team to install it on a saturday. I was assured by the accounts you were given a complimentary nights stay however if you say that was not so I will look into it as soon as possible and get back to you. Once again I am so sorry. I do hope you come again in better circumstances. If you can please let me know I will make sure you get a complimentary 2 nights B&B.