“Nice ambience!”

Ranked #2 of 41 Restaurants in Diani Beach
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: You'd be hard pushed to find a more romantic place to dine than Ali Barbour's Cave Restaurant, set inside an ancient coral cove and lit by warm candlelight. The a la carte menu specializes in seafood, international & traditional cuisine and is accompanied by a great wine-list so take your time over dinner.The Restaurant opens every day from 7pm. Reservation Required.Courtesy transfer from Hotels in Diani.Dress Code: Smart casual. No shorts, no hats.We apologize we do not allow children 6 and under.Cigars from our humidor available.
“Nice ambience!”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

The restaurant has a nice romantic ambience in a coral cave. The service was excellent! The steak i ordered was not ok, but when i told them they took it back right away and serve me a new one which was good. The price level reflects the proximity to the expensive resorts and is far above average for Kenia. For a special occasion it was ok! Free pickup service!

Visited June 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful location excellent food”
Reviewed June 12, 2014

The restaurant is so beautiful, the bar area is lovely and you can relax and have a lovely cocktail, the menu has lovely choices and the food and presentation is lovely, prices are extremely reasonable. Definitely worth a visit if in Diani, we wished we had visited here more.

Visited March 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
“Deeply disappointing”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

If the Trip Advisor had a "Zero" option out of 5 I would have given it. While the underground setting in a Limestone cave was awe inspiring, that's where the positives end.

We wanted to spend our last night in Diani Beach in a nice, exclusive restaurant, and from the reviews I had read on this restaurant we couldn't wait to visit. While the waiting staff were professional and courteous the food was frankly a disgrace.

I had ordered the "Catch of the Day" and was told the catch was Kingfish, what I should have asked was what "day" the fish was caught as when it arrived it was dry and flavourless. I had ordered with potatoes as that was one of the choices it could be served with. When my plate arrived I was served a Kingfish fillet (the menu said it would be filleted) with some mixed vegetables (looked for all the world like the pre-packed frozen vegetables one sees in any supermarket freezer) and one (1) potato croquette. I informed the waitress that I had ordered the Kingfish with potatoes only to be told that the one (1) index finger sized potato croquette was the potatoes. I could not help but laugh at the time. My partner had Lemon chicken which was better though portion sizes for both of us were very small.

I spent more time removing bones from the fillet and my mouth than eating the fish itself and for the menu prices this meal was tantamount to rape and pillage at its most gruesome.

We could not wait to request the bill, pay and get out of this restaurant. We are not big eaters at the best of times yet left hungry and finished off our evening at another local restaurant nearby (Ushago). Utterly bizarre that such a so called exclusive restaurant could have 2 customers leave the place having paid for a meal only to have what I would call a good dinner locally only 15 minutes afterwards.

Maybe this was an "off day" for Ali Barbour's, but it was regrettably a day we chose to experience, and I would never set foot in the place again.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Philip B
United Kingdom
“Style over substance”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

As you enter this restaurant- past the security guard in full Masai regalia- the surprise element and wow factor are certainly guaranteed. Beautiful surroundings with beautifully dressed tables and smartly dressed waitresses and a good welcome. Very interesting sounding menu from which I chose a starter of Kilifi oysters and a Chili Crab main- or so I thought! There's nothing more annoying than being told "sorry we don't have this" after you've had your heart set on a particular dish (the crab). So naturally we asked our waitress if there was anything else they didn't have and she said no. Whilst I was pondering my choices, my husband ordered the Crab Salad as his starter only to be told "sorry we don't have this" again, accompanied by a throw away comment like "if we don't have crab for the main course then that means we don't have crab". Right, ok, thanks for that, on with the show. My husband had the King Prawns with Mango instead which was ok but rather sweet. My oysters were completely tasteless and unimaginatively presented with the tiniest wedge of lime, a bottle of red(!) tabasco and extremely hard and brittle toast. We both had the Pan Grilled Barracuda Fish with Wasabi Mash Potato, sautéed Broccoli,Green Beans & Parmesan Foam as our main course. Big portion of sadly overcooked fish, fairly boring luke warm mash with only the tiniest hint of wasabi, vegetables on the hard side of al dente and the parmesan foam turned out to be just a sort of dribble. So, all in all not very well executed and certainly disappointing. We very much liked the glasses of Prosecco we had as an aperitiv and the delicious Italian ice cream. The service was slick and professional (except for the hiccup at the beginning), the ambience lovely and special and the bar area great for chilling out afterwards with grappa and- in the case of my husband- a big cigar (sold on the premises), very good barman too. There's a complimentary taxi service from and back to the local hotels which is a plus- saving on a taxi fare after spending a fair amount of money on a not so great dinner.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Connybee
Melbourne, Australia
“Great food in an amazing setting.”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

You're unlikely to find many restaurants in the world with such a unique setting. With a large and varied menu at not unreasonable prices, this restaurant is an excellent choice for a quality dining experience. The seafood on offer is great, and they also sport a generous choice of wines and cocktails. The service was also professional and friendly.

• Visited May 2014