“The food was good, the venue AMAZING”

Ali Barbour's Cave Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 43 Restaurants in Diani Beach
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: You'd be hard pushed to find a more romantic place to dine than Ali Barbour's Cave Restaurant, set inside an ancient coral cove and lit by warm candlelight. The a la carte menu specializes in seafood, international & traditional cuisine and is accompanied by a great wine-list so take your time over dinner.The Restaurant opens every day from 7pm. Reservation Required.Courtesy transfer from Hotels in Diani.Dress Code: Smart casual. No shorts, no hats.We apologize we do not allow children 6 and under.Cigars from our humidor available.
Reviewed January 23, 2014

My wife and I visited Ali Barbour's having seen it in the Lonely Planet Guide and it looked intriguing. We were staying a couple of miles away and they sent a taxi to pick us up and return us back at the end of the evening which, even though it's in their interest, was a nice touch. The setting is the star. This isn't a restaurant that has made its name because of the quality of the food (which was good but not good for the price of it if it was served in any other venue) but I have no qualms about paying the inflated tariff because the venue is quite simply the most romantic and breathtaking of any restaurant I have had the pleasure to eat in.
We opted for the hot and cold seafood platter to share. It was nicely presented: the staff were attentive and everything was done in good time. I went for the cheaper of the two South African roses on offer (my mistake - should have refused it having tasted it but we Brits are too polite for our own good). But as i said, the eating side of things takes a back seat to the setting. You have to go there.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,060)

Reviewed January 23, 2014

the concept of building a restaurant in a form of a cave, it's just amazing. the food as well as the service were both good. we had a lovely time. thank you

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We went to this restaurant in December 2013 and were in a large group. The service and food was excellent. The cocktails were amazing and the setting was awesome. you can gaze at the stars from within the restaurant as the cave has openings at various places. Definitely would recommend it and would return there. Good menu choice and flexible chef as many of us were vegetarian. Food was tasty and very well presented.

1  Thank perth08Perth
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Went hear in November after looking at all the reviews, however we were disappointed dare I say.
The staff don't smile much, very different to our hotel were they are very friendly, I think they were meant to portray a serious dinning experience, however this came across as just a bit gruff.
They did not ask if everything was ok, something I would expect for that money
The heat is a killer, we were in the middle even after booking a table under a fan we did not get that. these fans arnt high either stupid things, and it was unbearable, fans are the only air con they have it is in a cave and so the heat cant escape, dont wear make up unless you want your chin to end up wearing it, my husband was so uncomfortable, we couldnt wait to get outside
It is so dark they have to give you little torches to read the menu ok but a tiny bit more lighting would be good.
the main problem for me is in the bar area, people smoked this wafted down to the small dinning area, mega NASTY, and as I said there is no were for it to go, I do not want to eat smoke. .
the food was nice, I cant say it was outstanding as it was not, but it was good, again expensive and I felt overpriced actually
the best bit was the pina colada cocktail, that was lovely
Would I go back No
Would I recommend it NO

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Lovely ambience! Genuinely feels like youre eating in the cave of ali baba! we got the table down the stairs so it was like eating in a cave of our own...a memorable experience indeed! But so expensive! Worth it though :) Classy place too, dress the part :)