“Excellent setting, service, food and cocktails”

Ali Barbour's Cave Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 38 Restaurants in Diani Beach
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: You'd be hard pushed to find a more romantic place to dine than Ali Barbour's Cave Restaurant, set inside an ancient coral cove and lit by warm candlelight. The a la carte menu specializes in seafood, international & traditional cuisine and is accompanied by a great wine-list so take your time over dinner.The Restaurant opens every day from 7pm. Reservation Required.Courtesy transfer from Hotels in Diani.Dress Code: Smart casual. No shorts, no hats.We apologize we do not allow children 6 and under.Cigars from our humidor available.
Perth
“Excellent setting, service, food and cocktails”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We went to this restaurant in December 2013 and were in a large group. The service and food was excellent. The cocktails were amazing and the setting was awesome. you can gaze at the stars from within the restaurant as the cave has openings at various places. Definitely would recommend it and would return there. Good menu choice and flexible chef as many of us were vegetarian. Food was tasty and very well presented.

• Visited December 2013

• Turkish first
Riberac, France
“Just ok”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Went hear in November after looking at all the reviews, however we were disappointed dare I say.
The staff don't smile much, very different to our hotel were they are very friendly, I think they were meant to portray a serious dinning experience, however this came across as just a bit gruff.
They did not ask if everything was ok, something I would expect for that money
The heat is a killer, we were in the middle even after booking a table under a fan we did not get that. these fans arnt high either stupid things, and it was unbearable, fans are the only air con they have it is in a cave and so the heat cant escape, dont wear make up unless you want your chin to end up wearing it, my husband was so uncomfortable, we couldnt wait to get outside
It is so dark they have to give you little torches to read the menu ok but a tiny bit more lighting would be good.
the main problem for me is in the bar area, people smoked this wafted down to the small dinning area, mega NASTY, and as I said there is no were for it to go, I do not want to eat smoke. .
the food was nice, I cant say it was outstanding as it was not, but it was good, again expensive and I felt overpriced actually
the best bit was the pina colada cocktail, that was lovely
Would I go back No
Would I recommend it NO

• Visited November 2013
Nairobi, Kenya
“Muy muy caro!!”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Lovely ambience! Genuinely feels like youre eating in the cave of ali baba! we got the table down the stairs so it was like eating in a cave of our own...a memorable experience indeed! But so expensive! Worth it though :) Classy place too, dress the part :)

Visited June 2013
New York City, New York
“Probably one of the most unique restaurant settings!”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I would highly recommend a trip to the restaurant when you are in Diani. I've travelled around quite a bit and usually enjoyed trying nice restaurants in the local area. This place really stands out as one of the most unique.

We tried the crab and the fish of the day - both were prepared to perfection. Actually huge portions too! We wanted to stay for dessert but really were just too full.

Also, they provide free pick up and drop off (with advance reservation) so it's extremely convenient.

• Visited January 2014
Hampton, United Kingdom
“Gastroenteritus not Gastronomic”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Let me start by saying this was the most original and atmospheric restaurant I have ever visited and has been very tastefully fitted out by the owner with great attention to detail....but unfortunately that is where the good news ends....We were give a sausage as a canope.. We went on New Years Eve 2013/14 but the atmosphere was flat and lack-lustre, the staff did their job but did not seem interested....I ordered the Highland Steak and I came down with gastroenteritus the next day which spoiled the rest of my holiday. The other 3 in my party had fish (a wiser choice by the ocean) and were fine. I had nothing to eat the day before except home cooked food so although I cannot prove this was caused by the meal, it does seem very likely. The food tasted OK but was certainly not anything challenging from a culinary point of view and I have had very much better. Food hygiene in Kenya is critical because of the heat and I can't help feel it was neglected and I encourage anyone with similar symptoms to report them as no matter how great the restaurant it does not deserve to be open if there is a food hygiene issue.

• Visited December 2013