“A must-see for Diani!”

Ranked #2 of 41 Restaurants in Diani Beach
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: You'd be hard pushed to find a more romantic place to dine than Ali Barbour's Cave Restaurant, set inside an ancient coral cove and lit by warm candlelight. The a la carte menu specializes in seafood, international & traditional cuisine and is accompanied by a great wine-list so take your time over dinner.The Restaurant opens every day from 7pm. Reservation Required.Courtesy transfer from Hotels in Diani.Dress Code: Smart casual. No shorts, no hats.We apologize we do not allow children 6 and under.Cigars from our humidor available.
Reviewed September 12, 2013

If you're in Diani, go at least once!

SERVICE:
Very high-class service. All local people employed too, which is good because it makes you feel like you're in Kenya and gives you a deeper taste of Kenya's hospitality.

FOOD:
Excellent! The quality was very good and there were some very cool and innovative dishes and combinations, some basic and some very 'out there'. Very good cocktails too!

PRICES:
Very high prices relative to normal meal prices in Kenya. You'd pay the same in the US or the UK if you went to a decent restaurant. Roughly £20-£50 depending on drinks/desserts. The price isn't a problem if you visit just once to see the place.

ATMOSPHERE:
Very unique atmosphere! You won't find anything like this around Diani or perhaps Mombasa even. Even if you are on a budget, you try and fit in a visit to this place, the setting is truly special. The roof of the cave is open so you can look up to see the jungle and the stars. Unforgettable.

NEGATIVES:
Nothing major. The lights at the table were a bit too dim, I had to use the flash on my camera to get a good look at exactly what I was eating. But the dim lights do bring the cave to life so it's a good compensation really!

There are newer reviews for Ali Barbour's Cave Restaurant

Reviewed September 11, 2013

What a fantastic little Restaurant! the food was amazing as well, perfect setting for it, right on the beach, no complaints whatsoever about this great place

Reviewed September 10, 2013

The cave was amazing it was lower down than I thought it would be. The food was excellent I had prawns for a starter and they tasted great. My husband had steak and it was cooked to perfection. We sat under the roof so we could see the stars. We didn't wait very long for the food and the waiter was very good. If you go on the website you can check the menu before you go. We stayed in Tiwi and had to pay for a taxi as the restaurant only do free shuttle for Diani but we are pleased we went it was a great experience.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

The setting and atmosphere alone makes this restaurant well worth a visit and I would certainly go back again. However, next time I would avoid the shellfish as the prawns were over cooked and the lobster, disappointingly, was like rubber! My companion had the chicken which was delicious. The staff are great and can't do enough for you and this place has the potential to be truly fabulous. The only problem is the oversized menu as it is virtually impossible to produce top quality food from such a large variety of dishes on offer.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I totally enjoyed walking down into a cave and having dinner with my husband under the moonlit sky of a coastal town. The service was exceptional. You must reserve seating, which you understand later, because the demand from local and international tourists is quite high. We had a fabulous meal! My husband and I are not seafood fans but we did enjoy all other meats on offer which are well cooked. This restaurant provides such an intimate setting for couples and close family and close friends to share and enjoy each others company. The mood set by the lighting is beyond incredible. The staff were extremely patient as we got carried away with the views instead of ordering first. They were patient as they took quite a number of photos of us as we enjoyed just being there. I highly highly recommend it!