We have travelled to most countries and I can undoubtedly say that this was one of the best places we have ever stayed , so much so that we didn't want to leave and travel to a resort that we booked for the last week of our stay in Mombasa. We stayed in Sky Cabana for nine nights and we truly adored every minute. I've read a few bad reviews, totally ignore them, Janet and her team are amazing and everything was spotlessly clean. We'll post pictures in the next few days. Thanks, Barry, Janet and the team for such an amazing holiday,xx
We stayed in the villa for four nights, being a resident in Kenya on and off for many years now I have to say the location and beach is among the best in the country. Musa the chef is also among the best chefs I have had in a rental property. Despite the beautiful location, and wonderful open space feel of the living area, there are some downsides which made our stay disappointing. I would still recommend the place based on the location and Musa. However, I hope Barry takes this feedback on board and makes the minor changes which would have really improved our stay.
- The house is not family-friendly
The pool area encroaches on the living room which seems great in photographs, but isn't practical, as the whole area becomes very wet very quickly, my niece who is six and my mum slipped.
- Although there is a cot, there are no high chairs, after asking Janet who said it was impossible to get a high chair, Barry thankfully managed to borrow one for us.
- The kids/games room is too hot. The fans are not over the beds, the beds were also full of ants. When I asked Janet if there were any floor fans for the room she said no. The kids ended up sleeping in the other bedrooms.
- When we arrived Janet didn't even mention that there was a cottage available. Because of an extra person staying we decided my mother should stay in the cottage. She only managed to get in there around 5pm when she realised there was no water at all, she informed Janet who told her to wait for half an hour. By 630 my mother complained to Musa as Janet had already left, that there was 1. no water 2. the room was ant infested (I will post photos), 3. The mosquito net was dirty. Janet eventually returned around 730pm, and tried to resolve the problem, but by this time my mother had decided to sleep in the library instead.
- We did not have enough towels during our stay and again had to ask Janet to provide them.
- My mosquito net for the downstairs poolside bedroom wasn't ready when I arrived, I was told it was being cleaned and then worked on because of holes. When it was finally put up I saw some additional holes which Janet and her assistant had to sew up around 8pm.
- The downstairs toilet flush wasn't working for most of our stay.
- The upstairs bathroom toilet stank, we raised this with Janet and she didn't seem that concerned.
I had asked Janet to book me two taxis on arrival in Diani, she booked Peter who is their regular driver and someone else. I was initially told it was 700 for a normal car, but as we had booked a larger vehicle and a smaller car it would be 2,000 for both. When I arrived at the house Peter who didn't seem concerned about helping to get our bags out of the car took 2,000 from me. I found out the next day that my sister had also paid 1,000 for her car. When I asked Janet, she told me to call Peter, when I did he said it was a miscommunication and that I would be refunded. I decided to use another driver I know to take me to the airport, who charge 1,750 for both cars.
There is one safe in one of the bedrooms, however, Janet gave us the code, and she didn't seem keen on us changing it? Kind of defeats the purpose if everyone knows the code?!
Musa the chef
I have been to a number of houses in Lamu, Diani, Msambweni and Naivsha, and I have never stayed in a house where the chef does everything on his own. The shopping, cleaning, preparing, setting the table, and cooking. When I asked Barry about this he mentioned that "Musa has always been ok with it." The main reason people have enjoyed their stay at Tequila Sunrise is Musa, and the fact that he isn't being given any assistance at all is indicative of the way Barry runs the house. Janet is not a friendly, responsive, caring, or hardworking housekeeper. We all ended up helping Musa with the shopping, tidying, setting because we felt so bad for him.
We had a nice stay and enjoyed the property. However by the end of the stay a personal item with foreign currency inside had gone missing which was terrible but to make matters worse the owner was not helpful, insisting that no one (staff) would have taken it before even hearing us out. The focus was defending the staff rather than dealing with the complaint. A month later - absolutely no feedback or enquiry.
We spent a long weekend at Tequila Sunrise, and if we didn't have work to get back to we would have stayed much longer.
With a (really!) large swimming pool, direct access to the beach and chef and staff on site you really won't need to leave the house for much. The rooms are large and spacious with mosquito nets and fans, and the house has plenty of bathrooms if you're a large group. Musa and staff are extremely friendly and accommodating to most (if not all) requests. The entertainment area is very conducive to a couple of drinks amongst friends, and the spot on the lounger under the baobab is perfect to relax with a book for hours.
Never mind the fact that Diani beach is one of the best I've ever been to.
One note is that the house isn't the most child friendly. But we didn't have any children with us so that didn't matter.
We loved our weekend there, the price is really really reasonable, and we'll definitely be going back.I would highly recommend this place (just make sure you close the doors so the monkeys don't get it)
|How easy was it to book the property?||How helpful were the directions to the property?|
|How easy was key pickup/access to the property?||Overall condition of the property|
|Bedding & mattresses||Kitchen & utensils|
|Bathroom cleanliness||Other facilities & amenities|
|Friends getaway||Large groups|