“THE place to chill in Kefalonia.”
Review of Assos

Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Assos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed September 11, 2013

This place blew my mind. Worth the 40 min trip from Svoronata as the place has a very relaxed air about it. Parking is free at the car park at the entrance to the harbour, then it's a small walk down the slope into the harbour where there's a number of bars and restaurants to choose from.

We chose the one with the settees looking over the harbour to the castle and it was so tranquil I could have stayed all day!

I will agree that the castle isn't the best thing here (we were forewarned it wouldn't be) and the walk to it looked daunting but if walking and views are your thing then it'd be right up your street. I was just happy to sit and gaze and forget the world!!

You can swim in the harbour either from the small beach at the top near the car park or from the longer one running behind the restaurants. Both are stone beaches not sand though so be prepared!

2  Thank theboybev
There are newer reviews for Assos

Reviewed September 1, 2013

bit of a let down ruin of a castle here plus the beach was sort of ok personally id carry on going north to Fiskardo

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Well worth a trip to see this small village, which has managed to keep a genuine feel, but still have some good cafes to keep the tourists happy.

Had our best meal of the holiday in a small, trendy cafe, with white furniture and a lounge feel (ok, not particularly authentic style, but nice ambience and good service). Asking for recommendations for a light lunch, the waiter recommended a whole fresh grilled calamari to share. Along with bread, olives and salad, this was perfect. Great coffee too. Shame I can't remember the name of the place....

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Assos, oh, Assos in Kefalonia, where do I begin with you?? When I first saw this tiny, tiny village I was in absolute awe. It is a miniature little place and so pretty, so peaceful, no crowds, no people!!! I remember I wanted to get to the 'front' and had to pass what I thought was someone's front garden (full of bougainvillea) so beautiful, there was a lovely old man just smoking a pipe and drinking dark Greek coffee , I asked if he would mind - of course he didn't!!!!!! We sat for an hour 'talking' him in Greek and me in English - how did we get by??? I don't know but I know he lived there all his life and was a fisherman!!!!
It really is a MUST place to visit... but use a car!!! The travel companies will charge you a fortune and it is very easy to get to

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Small but very charming village. It's worth to walk along path to the castle (Kastro). Unfortunately on the top there is no castle anymore, only some ruins, but the view from the path is unforgettable. Assos is rather quiet place, there aren't many shops with souvernirs etc. thanks to that you can be closer to the nature.