“Expensive like in Athen”
Review of Koxili Tavern

Koxili Tavern
Ranked #4 of 21 Restaurants in Gialova
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Basel
“Expensive like in Athen”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

We were looking foreward getting mussels in a typical fishrestaurant.
The mussels were delicious - but only 15 peaces for more than 12 Euros!! After not beeing happy we got annother plate with mussels and this was very kind! Anyway we would not come again to this restaurant - the food was delicious, but we payed for four persons 91 Euros (fried mushrooms, cabbage salade, three times mussels, fisherman spaghetti, half a liter of white wine and a bottle of red wine).

• Visited October 2013

• Greek first
Athens, Greece
“Mixed feelings...”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Koxili tavern (it is the same restaurant with the other ranked 6 in tripadvisor,) is at the end of many Gialova seaside restaurants and the location is fantastic! Directly on the beach (all the others have the road in between). There is an upper terrace of course and many tables on the beach (even on the sand sometimes).
I wanted an "ouzo night", just ouzo and seafood and small appetizers. We walked there and waited a lot till someone noticed us. OK, this isn't a posh restaurant, so we don't mind a lot.
When the waitress brought us the catalogues I noticed no drinks were there so I asked for the drinks catalogue. Wine list (a very expensive one, not expected from a simple tavern) didn't include ouzo bottles, only by glass (and no brand). I asked about ouzo and she said they have 2 brands. I asked for the prices, she went inside to ask and told me there is 1 euro difference between them. Yes, but how much? She went back inside to ask and told her it would be simpler if they put it on the menu!
Anyway, we chose one and then the food: grilled sardines, grilled calamari, (fresh they said, small portion), fried zucchini and tzatziki. I have never seen smaller portion of fried zucchini in my life! 4 euros is normal price, but too small! As tzatziki... Bread was not good (and stale, why? on a weekday with plenty of bakeries open). Seafood was weird, served immediately and lukewarm (not hot from the grill, and we were warned the calamari would be late). I'm not sure it was fresh, but didn't taste bad at least. Just OK!
They offered us (as all the tables) small desserts (orange pie) and fruits (watermelon, melon and apple) which was a good gesture. Check for 2 was 40 euros, not bad, but we left with mixed feelings for the place... Probably we won't visit again!

2 Thank AthanasiaGreece
“A warm welcome & excellent food!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

We first ate here in July 2012, it was our first night in Gialova after a long days travel from the UK. Koxili had been recommended to us as a great fish restaurant and we were not disappointed, it fast became our favourite place to eat in gialova.

DON'T BE PUT OFF BY THE MOSQUITO COMMENT: last year it was extremely hot in the evenings with hardly a breeze, because of this the Mosquitos were really bad and no matter where you ate on the sea front you just couldn't away from them. All the restaurants tried their hardest to keep them at bay but until the weather changed it was a losing battle and we felt for the restraurant owners.

Back to Koxili,
Jump forward a year and we are back for another holiday in Gialova and we couldn't wait to visit Koxili, Joanna and her team.

My wife and I were recognised as soon as we walked through the door which for me is always a good start as it makes going somewhere a little more personal.

The food was just as good as we had remembered it to be and our favourite dishes, the gardeners salad, the mixed fried seafood and my personal favourite is the orange cake made using filo pastry are still all excellent.

It is easy to miss this restaurant if you haven't been told about it or you don't venture past all the other restaurants and walk the extra 50 or so meters up a path on the beach to it, which would be a shame as it is a lovely place to dine.
Families with small kids are made to feel welcomed and with the sun setting in the background and the waves almost lapping at your feet it is also perfect spot for a romantic meal for two.

2013 MOSQUITOS UPDATE: The weather is much cooler this year and so far the Mosquitos are non-existent.

1 Thank WRB73
Sofia, Bulgaria
“Most Delishes taverna in the region”
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Family run taverna. Always have fresh fish and squid. They are very good in cooking. Very nice atmosphere on the beach. Very delicious home made deserts. Very nice lady is owner. I recommend this taverna.

1 Thank Lyubomir L
“One of my favorite restaurant...”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Excellent fish restaurant!!!! Beautiful settled on the beach of Gialova. Very charming lady owner always ready for a chat and a frappè!!! :)

• Visited September 2012