“Info Needed”

Stockport, United Kingdom
“Info Needed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2010

hi
Can anyone give an up to date review on Callinica please ?
many thanks

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
Wales, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2008

We have been to Greece several times before, so have quite a good idea of the type of accommodation available. Cosmos advertised the Callinica as 3 star accommodation - which seemed to be a massive exaggeration.

Here are some more specific comments:-
Our apartment was accessed by a long single flight of steps which were totally unlit, despite our complaints to the rep and hotel management - which led to my falling when trying to carry my suitcase down to the coach pick-up.

There were other steep uneven flights of steps and steep slopes between our apartment and the pool area.

The pool area shower was filthy, slimy with several broken tiles.

The hotel gardens were generally ok but some areas were strewn with rubbish, old furniture, etc.

The as mentioned in another review, the grounds of the hotel were home to numerous cats. As we are cat lovers, it was not a problem to us.

The food at the poolside bar was extremely basic. The most off-putting part was the filthy sauce bottles. We only ate there once.

The room was extremely basic but clean. Our wardrobe was falling to bits with several jagged nails sticking out inside.

Although the staff were friendly, we would not wish to return to these apartments because of the poor maintenance.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Standards of maintenance
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Coventry
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2008

I have just come back from a stressful week at this place.
I was ASSURED this place was 3 star, and suitable for walking disabilities, as I have balance problems and RA. We paid over £1,300 for three people, self catering. So you can imagine my horror when we were met with unlit, precarious uneven steps without a handrail to the pool and bar area, and the steepest slope I have ever seen to the studio apartments, located behind the ones they show in the brochure.
Luckily, I was on the ground floor, and the balcony overlooks the apartments you can see from the pool.
The owners are very sweet, but they need a huge cash injection to save the place.
The furniture or lack there of, in the room was inadequate and delapidated, the chairs on the balcony were fit for the skip, the piece of land outside the front door was strewn with broken glass and various, unidentifiable debris. A broken plastic chair lay upended for a few days, too.
The chickens were happily strutting about and the several cats meowing noisily were no bother to them.
I foster cats and I understand about the situation in Greece so I wasnt surprised to see cats coming out of every corner. There was a lactating mother cat who insisted on visiting every night, and yeowled "Halllow? HALOW? HAAAALLLLLLLLOOOOOOWWW?!!" outside the balcony doors. The must know I foster, and we are a family of cat people...so be warned, if you dislike cats, or are allergic, take your anti histamines. This particular cat will walk in a jump on the bed and fall asleep. But at €35 or was it €40 for air conditioning we felt we had no choice but to leave the doors open.
Behind the high wall with the chickens, is a litter strewn waste land, Im not kidding, there is broken furniture, broken glass, an oil radiator, a water or oil butt, various twisted bits of metal and crates, its just everywhere. The chickens and cats wander through this.
On the first day there, we were disgusted to find the bathroom door didnt shut, and there was no lock on it. The happy and cheerful Spiros came out within 2 hours and spent half an hour fixing it, which meant it shut, but still didnt lock.
The studio had been swept through but not been mopped, as there were stains on the floor throughout, the back of the bathroom door was caked in filth and the cutlery and crockery had only been lightly rinsed and put away.
The sheets and towels were pristine and fresh, however they were old and the bed sheets were ripped and we had the same ones all week. There is a plastic cup with "maids tips" written on it, but the girl stayed for 3 minutes and only swept through, no mopping whatsover but she was good at making the beds.
She was only young, so we left a bit of cash in the cup.

The rep, Sophie said there was "No Way" it was a three star, and she was shocked we had been told it was, as its actually unrated.
I think we had been put in the wrong place, (I believe there are other studios in the complex) I hope we had anyway, so please, if you have booked here, make sure you speak up and ask if there has been a mistake if you arent happy with it. Its hard to complain to such nice people when its clearly Cosmos' fault. I know they have put its not suitable for walking difficulties in the new brochure, but it wasnt in the old one.
Its still got a 3 diamond rating, which is their own rating, but I think its totally misleading.
The other drawback is the second pool, which was filled with wasps and other stinging beasties, and the scum line and floor of the pool was very dirty.
The main pool water was filthy with a film on top, the scum line was something to behold and the sunbeds were filthy and uncomfortable.
I feel bad for this, but we have to be honest. I think we paid the high cost because of the time of year, the cost of flights and the greed of Cosmos.

• Liked — The owners
  • Disliked — The inaccessibilty, dirty, run down.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Joy72
nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stayed at the Callinica for 2 weeks in September 2007 and had a fantastic holiday. From the first day both Spiros and Cheryl remembered our names and were perfect hosts. We had mentioned our wedding anniversary early in the holiday and they remembered the day which was lovely. The rooms are typically greek and very clean. Food at the pool bar was really good and we ate there lots. The bar is open as long as people are drinking as because the owners are so friendly the other guests were too. It is situated a short walk from the beach and bars/resturants but far enough away to be quiet when you get home. We would definetly go back there.

• Liked — The personal service given by the owners
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CatNottingham
Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2008

We booked with cosmos and had the most fantisic stay at the callinica. Spiros and his english wife Cheryl were the perfect hosts. The pool area was spotless and so was the pool side bar which stayed open as long as you carried on drinking! It was well away from the rooms so there was no noise to disturb your sleep! The rooms were basic but very clean. Spiros exchanged our travellers cheques with no commission. We hope to go back and stay there again. 10 out 10 for a relaxing holiday. Sue,Ross,Alan and LInda.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank suerossBirmingham
Malaga, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2008

I travelled to this propert in June 07, but I have just noticed there arent many reviews available so here is what I thought -

I paid £130pp to travel for 7 nights sc in a studio, travelling with Libra. I had never paid so little for a holiday before so I expected very little.

We were greeted on arrival by more or less all the famility, who struggled to speak english but were very amusing, and bordering crazy - They told us that we were in Block 4 which was at the bottom of the hill - I was very pleased because the blocks at the top of the hill would have been hard work!!! They didnt give us a room number they basically took the us and 3 other couples and said pick a room, brits being brits just stood there staring at each other so I entered a ground floor room because I don't do stairs when im drunk...

The room was very basic, two beds, an electric ring, small fridge and bathroom with shower. It was however clean, and remained comfortable throughout my stay.

The pool (up the hill) was a reasonable size and was well maintained. The greeks family little boy used to scare me sensless running around the pool (he was about 3) - the parents didnt't seem to get the fact he would probably drown if he slipped when no on was looking. He did also throw a cork screw at me which was very entertaining, to others ofcourse.

The pool bar served drinks and food, drinks I found a little expensive but the food menu was cheap, a little limited but ok for a snack when you didn't want to venture.

The staff although a bit mental were accomodating and friendly. They laugh at most things you say, even if you are asking what time is it. It was nice to be found so funny.

The apartments are set back a bit from the centre, not to the point where you feel isolated, but enough to get a bit annoying by the end of the week. I wouldnt let this put you off though-that would just be lazy.

Tsilivi is a lovely resort, I had been to kalamaki previously, and although tsilivi is a little more commercial, it just had a nicer feel to it, and far better dining options. I can honestly say I didnt have a bad meal all week - 10/10 for the Cafes/Bars. All the waiters/bar staff help to make your holiday a memorable one. There are some 24 hour bars as well which is handy, but there are no nightclubs as such for those wanting a clubbing holiday.

We hired a car locally and visited Zante town which is well worth the visit, and we spent a night in Laganas to go clubbin' - Really rowdy but good fun, one night was enough tho. The apartment we booked was mega cheap and it was like a palace compared to Collinika - I think it was 25 euros for the night- I cant remember the name I'm sorry but it was on the main strip above a souviner shop.

I had a tattoo in resort but I would avoid having one done - I have had to have it refilled coz it faded coz of the sun.

All in all I would say it was the best £130 I have ever spent (even though I spent about £500 in resort but I did by a very nice pair of sunglasses and car hire!!!).

My advise is if you can get this accom for less than £200 low season or less than £400 high season for a week, then you have grabbed yourself a bargain.

I wouldnt go back but purely because in my two visits I have seen all that Zante has to offer. In fact, I tell a lie if it came up for this price again, I would go back and to this accom.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Location in resort
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank travelagentkevin
Luton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2007

We booked our holiday through my girlfriend’s employer who advised us that this was 3 star accommodation. This is far from the truth. When we complained to our Libra holiday rep we were advised that this accommodation was actually ungraded and had we known this we would never have agreed to stay here. We know that Greek apartments tend to be basic and having visited Santorini earlier in the year we knew what to expect. Or so we thought.

We stayed in studio #1. This was on the end of the block which didn’t seem an issue until the next day when we realised the seemingly quiet gravel road next to it appeared to be the main access route for a building site further up the hill meaning we had HGVs passing within a few metres of our bedroom wall on a regular basis.

The walls were wafer thin. We could hear our neighbours talking to the extent of being able to place their regional accent as well as them using the toilet (not just flushing, the actual act) and being sick after too many beers. Our balcony offered a sea view but could scarcely be used due to the frequent wafts of sewage odour passing across it.

The bathroom had a shower rail but no curtain which wouldn’t have been such an issue if the shower fixing wasn’t broken causing water to spray across the entire room whenever it was in use. The floor hadn’t been correctly laid so the dirty water didn’t drain away meaning we had to sweep it down the drain by hand ourselves. The drain cover didn’t fit the hole in the floor so it sat lop-sided in the hole which you could easily put your foot through, easily done (and it was) given that it was conveniently located right next to the toilet. An underwear sanitary protection notice had been stuck to the wall by a previous guest and remained there for the duration of our stay.

We went self-catering but given that half of the crockery was either chipped or filthy and we only had one large pot to cook in we decided to eat out all the time instead. We also had a three legged fridge with a freezer compartment that was so heavily frosted that it wouldn’t close.

The bedroom was probably the worst of the lot. Masking tape went round almost the entire ceiling from where it had last been decorated. The light-shade was covered in paint drips. The “desk” had two drawers, one had no handle, the other was hanging on for dear life. Our bed sheets had holes in them. Either side of the bed was a shelf for putting books, etc, one was attached while the other lay on the floor with screws still hanging out. When we arrived there was half a used condom wrapper on the floor.

We were awoken at dawn each morning by the local cockerels crowing which in turn set the local dog population barking so we didn't get a decent nights sleep during our entire week.

The pool area was reasonable enough although the loungers were cheap plastic and uncomfortable. Hardly anyone used the pool, like us most people seemed to prefer to either go out and about or walk down the road to the superior Callinica 4 which was far more inviting. Maybe we just got a bad studio but based on our experience I would never stay here again and would not recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Leaving it
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything was awful
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank golem11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tsilivi
Alamis Apartments
#3 of 5 in Tragaki
Zante Calinica Apart Hotel
Zante Calinica Apart Hotel
#12 of 17 in Tsilivi

Been to Callinica Hotel & Apartments? Share your experiences!