and 1 more site!
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Ermones
Maldon, United Kingdom
“A Good 4* Hotel”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We were All Inclusive and booked a balcony sea view room. My wife and I travelled on the 30th August and returned on the 6th September 2013.

I would class this as a good 4* hotel that needs a bit of tweaking here and there to get it up to a 5* standard.
___________________________________________________
First of all let me just say that everyone's review is individual, so as far as I am concerned there are no negative reviews. Each review is based on an individual's personal experience. They are not trying to be negative, just telling it how they see it compared to previous holidays of a similar standard. Someone who has always holidayed in 3* B&B will consider this hotel 5*+. On the other hand another person who has holidayed in allot of 5* hotels may consider this hotel either better or worse. And there is nothing wrong in that, we are all different. So I would say just be guided by the reviews. At the end of the day you will only know by experience.
____________________________________________________

Arrival:

Transfer time from the airport is around 30-40 minutes.
The hotel is approached by a long up hill driveway. The complex is large covering a vast area consisting of the main hotel building with accommodation blocks scattered in groups around the main building, most which are on the steep hill below. All the accommodation blocks are accessed by foot, hotel buggy or the funicular railway.
The front of the hotel doesn't exactly take your breath away on arrival and to be honest could do with a bit of decorative maintenance.
A bit of a queue to check in but didn't take too long. Don't get over excited about the Champaign on arrival, it's just a small glass of sweet sparkling wine that is not particularly chilled, but still a nice touch. Some reviews talk about porters taking luggage to the room, it must have been their day off as we didn't see any.
_____________________________________________________

The Room:

We were allocated room 101 in main hotel building, which I would highly recommend. More of a mountain and sea view than just a sea view, but still a great view, plus we were in the main building near to everything so didn't complain.

The room was large and clean with a good size balcony with a table and two arm chairs. There was plenty of wardrobe space with lots of what I call proper coat hangers not those ones that are attached to the rail. The marble tiled bathroom is also a good size with a full size bath, large separate glass panelled shower, loo and vanity basin. Although the room was situated next to the lift it was extremely quiet, we never heard anyone passing, so don't be put off with the position.

Power supply is round two pin

For some strange reason the room safe is situated at floor level inside a cupboard, so each time you use it you have to grovel on the floor. It could so easily have been allocated in a better position. There is also not one bit of information in the room. Yes, you get a card when you check-in telling you the opening times of the various areas of the hotel but that's it. Normally you would get a binded folder in a hotel room giving you all sorts of information, but here not a bean.

The fridge on arrival was as many mention warm with just a bottle of mineral water in it. This is because all electric power to the room is via the room key card. You will receive two of these cards. Leave one permanently in the slot and use the other as your entry key. The other problem with the fridge is it is situated in a cupboard with a door, so of course if the door is kept shut heat builds up and doesn't allow the fridge to get cold, so always keep the cupboard door open a little. As for stocking the fridge/mini bar, a word with reception and soon after a waiter appeared at the room with two cans of soft drink, two Mythos lagers, a bottle of water and a packet of crisps. Their idea of a mini bar....Whoopi dee!

Two problem areas with the bathroom:
1. You just get the shower temperature right when it will suddenly change to either extremely hot of freezing cold. Obviously because other users are affecting the pressure, so beware.

2. The loo never gives a clean flush, if you know what I mean!
________________________________________________________

Food:

Good but a bit samey. great salad bars, but salad is salad. The hot food section I felt is more geared towards our other European neighbours. You can also forget your British type breakfast bacon and sausages. I know the Greek bacon is different to ours but god knows what this stuff was. I had it once, I didn't repeat the event.

We didn't use the lunch time buffet so can't comment. The bar snacks I felt were limited to around five choices. And from what I saw were more like full meals than bar snacks. Afternoon snacks consisted of a small area behind the pool bar with some fruit and packets of sandwiches which were not the freshest and all were white bread. I found this strange as there is a whole rack of various brown loaves in the main restaurant that could be use to give a choice.
______________________________________________________

Bar and Pool Service:

Firstly they all work very hard and long hours as do all the hotel staff. Some reviews say the bar staff are offish and sometimes rude. I didn't find this at all. If you engage with them, call them by their name they are fine. The first time I met one of the barmen I introduced myself, shook his hand and called him by his name. He was good as gold, as they all were. If people talk to them as though they are their personal slave then no wonder they can be stand offish. Treat others as you wish to be treated yourself. The pool bar waitresses are delightful and attentive but not overly so. Kapillikis the pool waiter was a star and looked after us very well. Ask him for a bowel of Olives, although not on the menu he is happy to oblige. They are large Kalamatas and wonderfully fresh, if you like that sort of thing.

It would have been nice to have had pool service which for a 5* hotel I would have expected.

There are two pools. One large freshwater pool at the hotel and a indoor pool situated in a separate building a little way down the hill next to the tennis court. We had a look through the window of the indoor pool building and it didn't look very open. To be honest I can't really see the point of it. In the summer you surely want to be swimming outside and the hotel shuts down in the winter, so when does it get used.
________________________________________________________________

Drinks:

Firstly go All Inclusive, even if you are not a particularly big drinker it is still worth it. To me the drinks are very over priced. But the location of the hotel makes you a captive audience so they can charge the prices. You can check what is available for All Inclusive guests by asking to see the A.I drinks menu, which is surprisingly comprehensive.

Unless you want drinks for the pool all drinks are table service, (plastic for pool, glass for bar area). Beer is the local Aegean lager or Mythos. Spirits are both local and International, although I didn't see much of the top shelf bottles being used, that's not to say they weren't. But having said that I had a Captain Morgan and coke, whisky and gin and tonic (not all at once:) which were all very nice. The G&T's were often weak in taste but that's because they over do the tonic even if you ask for a small amount, plus the ice melts quickly. Just ask the waitress for another shot of gin to be put in and they are happy to oblige. Again, it's how you ask.
The white and red wine is local and to be honest just passable for drinking. OK, in the high temperatures you don't really want to be drinking 14%vol wines. But at just 11%vol it was pretty poor for this class of hotel and was the only red and white on offer for the All Inclusive guests. If you wanted better you would have to pay. Not good enough Thomson.
______________________________________________________

Sun beds:.......How long have you got.

There are three types

1. The ones on the pool bridge are narrow with metal arm rests which I can see getting red hot after short exposure to the sun. I thought about trying one but then thought better of it.

2. There are several with a plastic wicker type affect frames cover which I found very uncomfortable and short in length.

3. The best of the bunch are the wider steel frame beds which are longer and more comfortable.

Again, for this grade of hotel I would have expected higher grade sun beds with waterproof cushions for extra comfort. Some reviews commented on the sun beds being too close together. I found them not too bad, I have seen worse.

The hotel say there is no reserving of sun beds. Forget it, it's a myth. And as much as you disagree with reserving, as I do, you have to go with the flow of reserving or you will miss out and end up with nothing. So if you want to bag your preferred spot each day then it's an early trip with your towels. Leave it till after 9am at the latest and you've had it. This is one aspect of the holiday that takes the relaxation out of it as the lie-in you were hoping for isn't going to happen.

The other thing I don't get is the pool towels. For a week's holiday they can only be changed twice, yet you could have your room towels and bed linen changed every day if you wanted. Work that one out.
__________________________________________________________

Evening Entertainment:

Surprisingly good. Helen and Greg the resident entertainment team are great as were the Latin dance duo that performed one night. The band that played on our last night (gala night) were excellent. I even had a brief spot on the mic! (How to clear the bar area in ten seconds :)

There was only one duff night, a couple, he played or should I say pushed keyboard buttons while the blonde lady sat on a stall singing. Both had the personalities of a house brick.
Linda who organises the daytime entertainment such as pool games an exercises was great fun and always had a smile.

Wasps:
Trust me on this, they are everywhere. Not in great numbers, but never the less more than one constantly flitting around you is enough. I was unable to relax on the sun bed for the whole week in fear of being stung as there was always one or two lurking around. I thought that perhaps they were just around at that particular time of year, but after speaking to one of the waitresses they are there all summer. So forget about eating outside for breakfast or around the pool during the day. As much as it looks tempting you will constantly be pestered by them.
It's not all doom and gloom though. As soon as it starts to get dark they disappear, so eating outside can resume unhindered.
_________________________________________________________

Shops:
There is one small shop in the hotel lobby and one at the bottom of the hill selling the usual papers, drinks and bits and bobs. Both ridiculously over priced.
One little gem, excuse the pun, is the jewellers, also situated in the hotel lobby. Quite large jewellery, typical Greek, but not all of it. Prices are not bad and the lady and gentlemen that run it are an absolute delight.
__________________________________________________________

The beach:
Unless you are a die hard beach enthusiast don't bother. Small and not very clean.
The 'Thaletta' beach bar is part of the hotel. Here you can use your All Inclusive the same as the main hotel.
___________________________________________________________

All in all we had an enjoyable time. The staff were always happy and willing to help. Nothing seemed too much trouble. There were a good mixture of guests of varying age groups, although I would say a large majority were between the 20-30 age group.

Would we go back, probably not. Mainly due to the wasps.

If there is anything you want to know just message me and I will try and answer.

Room Tip: Request room 101 in the main hotel. Quiet with a great balcony view and near to everything.
5 Thank Stephen H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Poole, England
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Also just returned, after a two week holiday. I've read all the positive and negative comments, and I can understand most of the perspectives people have.
Yes, there are some weaknesses, but I think some people don't try hard enough to work past them, so that's more their problem that the hotel's.
The wasps...yes, they're annoying, but only if you flap and get stressed. We ate out every meal for 13 days, and only once got in a tizzy over 4 or 5 persistent wasps. To be honest, the sneaky mozzies were more of a pain when we forgot to spray up. The hotel can't do anything, and they will seat you outside in "less bothered" spots if you ask.
The charge for the sunbeds is not mentioned in the brochure. We raised that point to the resort rep, and were provided with a voucher for free usage - you don't ask, you don't get!
We had a room with private pool - 559 - it was nice, but there are better ones, so luck of the draw.
The evening entertainment is exactly as you expect from a hotel (read into that what you want). If you don't like it, there are places to sit where it's less invasive.
The lift is well publicised... I can't understand why people moan about it.
The food is excellent. For a buffet style meal, which isn't our favourite, but we can honestly say we enjoyed every day/night.
Most of the staff are excellent, as previously commented. Yes, we occasionally experienced a curt/grumpy response during the evening from the cocktail waitresses, which is out of order, but not often enough for it to spoil what was an excellent two weeks. Pavlos and Maria are a credit to the hotel.
We used the tennis courts a few times - equipment provided - and the nets/surfaces are fantastic quality. The fact the gym didn't open until 11am is ridiculous and something that the hotel should address.
We didn't like the crowded pool, and since our room pool didn't get sunshine until late afternoon, we used the beach every day. There can be an unpleasant smell - it's not sewerage as previously commented, it's due to the sea grass that grows in shallow water - but on warm breezy days you just don't notice it. Loads more space, lovely cooling breeze, and beautiful coastal surroundings. The water isn't dirty, although the aforementioned sea grass does wash up in slick like blobs, but only after storms/rough days.
It's not a five star hotel but it's not far off. Personally, I think it's as good as you're prepared to make it - get past the minor issues, relax and enjoy the good elements, and you'll have a great holiday.

4 Thank LandIAbroad
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

Nestled neatly on a steep slope overlooking a tranquil bay the hotel is in a wonderful location. Opposite lies another green hillside with cypress trees and a small number of hotels at the bottom of the bay. Facing west the sunsets are romantic and spectacular. Sitting in the bar each night just chilling and watching nighttime roll in.

The rooms are spacious and contemporary. Very clean and the beds are very comfortable. Air conditioning units keep you cool but more importantly are very quiet in comparison to other hotels I've stopped in, allowing for a restful nights sleep.

The food is buffet style but varied and very well prepared. We went for the all inclusive option and I would recommend this. Cocktails are included and again are very well prepared (not just ready mixed and thrown together as in other places). As part of the all inclusive you can also use the beach bar for a limited number of hot snacks (burgers, fries etc) disappointingly salads are not included as part of the package at the beach bar, something I would have liked to have seen.

The only downside to the hotel is the steepness and number of steps! Couple this with a very slow cable car lift and you may find it frustrating (as I did). Waiting for up to 10 mins for a lift did grate so we ask to changed rooms and after 24 hours our request was kindly granted. Don't let this put you off the hotel completely though. I think you just need a good room strategy!

If you're a definite pool area person then you need to push to be in either the main building or rooms in level 2. On the other hand if you're more of a beach person then rooms on level 5 and the higher numbered 400's would suit you great as you can walk to the beach. Being in 400's and a pool type person leaves you in a 'no mans land' in my view. So get your requests in!

Oh and if you're going all inclusive I wouldn't push for a room with a pool. Whilst they look great and private, room service and drinks in the room are extra so I can't see that you'll get the best value.

The beach is blue flag and has a gentle onshore breeze which is refreshing in the Greek heat. Beach loungers are also outside of the all inclusive and are 8 euros for 2 and an umbrella. The benefit being that they can be charged to your room.

So overall a lovely, relaxing and pleasant place to visit. Just get the right room.

The beach

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank TravellingAdman
Suffolk
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We returned from the Grand Mediterraneo only yesterday (Fri 30/08 - Fri 06/09) and were gutted to be coming home! Everything about our stay was perfect from our room, food, drink and the staff . We were a bit worried about going after reading so many negative reviews but we found 99% of them to be untrue.

Yes the pool area gets busy so the sunbeds do go early but we have found this at every hotel we have been to so nothing new there. By about 9.30-10am the sunbeds had all been taken but on a few days there were still some unavailable a lot later.

We were disappointed with the look of the beach a la carte restaurant and the beach area in general. We thought the restaurant looked a bit tired and the beach area looked untidy and a bit shabby so after one visit we didn't bother going again. We much preferred the luxury of the hotel!

We went all inclusive and would definitely recommend it to anyone!! The prices of drinks if you have to pay for them are expensive! You aren't made to wear the awful bands that other hotels make you wear, all you have to do is give them your room number. The strength of the drinks was spot on! ;-) (You don't give your room number to the staff until after you have your drinks so there was none of this making them weaker if you are all inclusive as reported by other reviews)The cocktails were great, our favourites were the mojitos, cuba libre and the Kir Royales! The drink choice for being all-inclusive was vast and there is a drinks menu for the all-inclusive guests. The food was great and there was plenty of choice!! My favourite meal was breakfast!

We didn't leave the hotel all week and just enjoyed our time being together, relaxing and taking in the views, they are to die for. The sunsets we saw whilst we enjoyed a pre-dinner drink were breathtaking!!

We didn't get to see the Friday nights entertainment as we didn't arrive until late but every other night was really enjoyable.

All in all the Grand Med we would class as a 4 star hotel with friendly and very hardworking staff, amazing views, drink, food!!! We wouldn't go back as we never like to go back to the same hotel twice but if we did we would definitely go back without a doubt!

Room Tip: We had room 380. We had only booked a mountain view room but we had a view of the sea too!! We used...
Dunfermline
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We have just returned from our holiday at the Grand Mediterraneo and have been fortunate enough to have enjoyed holidays in a range of Atlantica hotels in both Greece and Cyprus (all official 5* rated). Our experience at the Gran Med has been exceptional and for us certainly the best. The settings and hotel amenities are accurately described in the Thomson brochure and on the website and although the location is hilly this provides for stunning views.

We were in sea view room which was fairly far down the hill but were always promptly picked up when we rang reception by the very helpful drivers (Stefanos and others in the team). We chose to walk sometimes to help burn the calories but were often offered a lift by passing members of the team.

The room was clean and well equipped. Air conditioning was excellent and the best water pressure for showers and baths ever experienced by us in Greece. There were plenty of lovely fresh clean towels too.

For us the key difference in our holiday in this hotel was the staff who were always keen to help friendly and pleasant at all times. They has a special combination of professionalism and friendliness and this extends to staff members in support roles as well as customer facing roles. The Hotelier (Mr Costa) leads by example and has a clear presence in the hotel for both staff and guests. The Bar Manager (Yiannis) regularly checks that guests have all they need and are happy with the quality of the drinks, etc. He clearly leads his team of bar and waiting staff exceptionally positively.

We chose to go all inclusive for our two week stay and found the range of cocktails and drinks to be extensive and we did not experience anything other than excellence service from the bar and restaurant staff. The choice of food in the restaurant was wide and varied and we whole heartedly agree with the positive comments made by others in relation to the variety and quality. One point which we found was particularly well dealt with was when a customer was clearly ignoring the well advertised restaurant dress ruling of long trousers for men in the evening. This was addressed in a very polite and clear way by the restaurant staff. We have so often seen this ignored in other hotels which then encourages others to do the same.

We have never before posted any comments on trip advisor about our overseas holidays but two reasons have made us comment on this hotel.

Firstly the negative comments others have posted, in particular in relation to the bar service, bear no resemblance to our experience. However during our stay we did observe a few instances where guests' behaviour was not respectful, nor indeed 5*, towards bar staff. Again staff reacted in a very professional way.

Secondly we had such a fantastic holiday made extra special by committed and hard working staff who clearly enjoy their job.

The hotel deserves its official 5* rating and hopefully will continue to provide wonderful service for 5* customers.
Gail and Ray, Edinburgh

PS Remember your credit card as there is a fantastic jeweller on site

12 Thank Ray H
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

If you read one review about this hotel let it be this one!

Mission: Total relaxation and forget about work!
Mission achieved? 99%

Looking for from this holiday: quietness, relaxation, no-children, sun, and 5* satisfaction
Achieved? Almost

From the time that we arrived at the hotel it was totally relaxing. As soon as we got off the coach the bellboys told us that they would sort out our luggage and that "your holiday starts now, please just relax". When checking in we were greeted with a glass of bubbly and the check in was quick and very friendly. A bell boy then quickly transported us to our room by the hotel taxi, taking care of our luggage and friendly chatting to us on our short journey. For the whole holiday, all the staff were friendy and assisted you the best that they could. After reading some reviews I think some people should remember that this is Greece, the Greek people are extremely lovely and that it is natural for them to work at a slightly slower pace, I would if I had to work in the average 35 degrees heat!
TIP: be considerate of the Greek way and make an effort to use a bit of Greek, efcharisto (Greek for thank you)

The food at the hotel in the main Medusa restaurant is really good and caters for all tastes. We stayed for 14 nights and although the food is really fresh and wide ranging, after about 10 days you do start to get slightly too use to the food, but no real complaints as you can always go to the beach front restaurant or the Vertgo restaurant for a 'break from the norm'. Both Pavlo and Maria (the main restaurant hosts) are really welcoming and always great you with a warm hello, breakfast, lunch and dinner!
TIP: although it really does seem appealing, stay inside for breakfast and lunch as the wasps get rather annoying. Dinner outside however is great. Don't understand why people moan about the wasps, the hotel can't do much about it. Just get around it by avoiding eating outside during the day.
TIP: although you maybe on an all inclusive basis, don't think that this includes the vertigo restaurant. The food here is stunning but you only get a discount towards the cost of this meal, it is not part of the all inclusive package. Cost with discount for two people eating here with one bottle of wine was about €80. Didn't overly bother us as we were in holiday but could catch some people out.

Half way through the week we upgraded to a suite with its own private pool. We were able to view it before we paid for the upgrade and the receptionists were absolutely fantastic about arranging our luggage being moved, filling the fridge with water and sorting out our key cards. We had room 452 which has to be one of the best on that level, the suite was huge with a great dressing room and a huge bathroom. The private infinity pool overlooked the bay and when laying in bed in the morning your could hear the waves and nothing else.

The infamous vernacular!!! It does its job and never broke down the whole time that we were there (we think that as only the English seemed to observe that only 8 people are permitted on each of the two levels of the lift, maybe it has previously broken down as people from some other European countries haven't realised that maybe the lift clutch goes to standstill if there are too many in the lift!). If you don't fancy the vernacular then just ring reception for a bellboy to come and pick you up by the hotel taxi, never had to wait any more than about 3 minutes to be picked up and the drivers are really friendly.

The bar and entertainment- the bar staff may appear moody at times but really they are great. Charalabos is a fantastic barman and loves a laugh, ask him about the tobacco and vodka shot - gorgeous although a little leathal! The cocktail waitresses are very friendly, sometimes a little slow but again, this is Greece and they're in great demand all night. Nika was our favourite as she was always really friendly and enjoyed a little chat. Linda the entertainments coordinator is superb, always chatting to guests and is so very approachable. She doesn't force you to get involved wi things but politely asks and will do anything to make your holiday what you want it to be. The resident duo Helen and Greg were fantastic, not overbearing but just the ticket to keep the evenings interesting. Me and my partner usually hate hotel entertainment and can't stand cheese but they were far from it. The local Greek clue however - Erm, strange and totally not following the hotel norm, he plays a cheesy keyboard set from the 80's whilst she struggle to keep up and looks both pissed off and bored by being there, me and my partner couldn't help contain our amusement when she would either check her nails or glare at the keyboard player, entertainment itself!
TIP: I won't spoil the surprise but if your go the Thursday evening entertainment have something a bit more smart and maybe 'black and white themed' as this is the more formal and dressed up evening of the week.

The hotel amenities - there are two pools, one inside and one outside, both great and really well maintained. The outside pool with split level is perfect and is of a decent size. The fitness suite was ok but as a five times a week gym goer it didn't fit my needs really but hey you're on holiday! Didn't use the spa so can't continue but from the price list it looked rather pricey against what I usually pay for at my usual spa and country club. The hotel shop is fairly small and sells the very basic of products but at least you can get a daily newspaper, cigarettes if needed and some other essential toiletries.

The rooms cleaning is perfect and couldn't for more. They are the most efficient and friendly hotel cleaners I have experienced. They do an amazing job and nothing is too much bother.

Every review has mentioned the sunned issue - yes it is true and yes it is infuriating but doesn't this happen at ever hotel!?!? I must admit we gave in and got up early to get a bed but we didn't reserve it we used it from when we got up there at... 7.45am!!! Finally decided enough was enough and we booked the upgrade suite! Some 'groups of people' known to rescue not one or two beds at a time but a whole long row of them as early as 6am!!! Nikos the pool man is really friendly and really helpful but doesn't do much about bed saving but he isn't on duty until about 10am anyway so won't see the bed saving.

Gripes:
1. Hotel please choose whether this is truly a couples hotel, two big groups (20-25 people) in a group celebrating a birthday and a wedding sometimes meant the couples relaxation theme was lost and meant some people left the pool area during the dat and lost the entertainments chilledout feeling in the evening.
2. Update the sun beds, a bit uncomfortable and some broken.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank jimmyboyac
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Start with the positives - The hotel itself is lovely, fresh, clean, modern and in a beautiful setting. Same goes for the rooms, and the balcony was a very nice size. (Given the situation around the pool it would have been nice to have a sunlounger on the balcony, but we did have a table and chairs). The hotel offers cars to and from your room and the drivers are brilliant. We used the cars every day, as for us, the cable car wasn't fast enough - when you are on a mission to get to dinner, or the pool for a sunbed......

The food? excellent - We never tired of it and we were there for two weeks.

What makes this hotel, is the staff, everyone was friendly, helpful and professional, the drivers, reception staff, houskeeping, and of course the restaurant staff. Everyone mentions Maria and Pavlos, but I want to say well done to Linda, the entertainments manager, and also the Thomson rep, who were both charming and helpful. When we hired a car, everyone was on hand with ideas of where to go and what to see.

There were nice touches, most afternoons staff would come around with watermelon, and some evenings after dinner, sweet snacks would be served, and if you had to queue for dinner - fizzy wine was always at the ready. The entertainment wasn't always to our taste, but never did we leave because it was bad.

This hotel has so many positives, but unfortunately one big negative. Quite simply the pool area is not large enough when the hotel is full. I had read the reviews regarding the sun loungers, a couple of days before we travelled, and was hoping it wouldn't be as bad. Unfortunaely, it was. This is the only reason that I have not given this rating en "excellent". The sun loungers are squashed together and you do have to make sure you have yours before 9:30am - this does not make for a relaxing holiday, especially, if, like us you are in a room in the 500s. Getting up in a morning and getting ready, just to go the the pool, was like organising a day trip to the beach, making sure you don't forget anything, or you have to come all the way back down again. This may sound trivial, but believe me, in the heat of the day, you do not want to be making frequent trips up the hill. The parasols were a little dangerous, some of them very wobbly, and the bases didn't seem big enough - twice we saw them fly off into the people behind. Unfortunately, nothing much was done about this, and the pool attendant didn't seem to do very much at all.

If the beach had been bigger, maybe the pool area wouldn't have been as crowded, but the one time we went to the beach, I wasn't very impressed. A smell of sewerage, coupled with black looking sea (becuase of the seaweed), I didn't find very tempting. Wrongly, I had assumed because the hotel was 5*, the beach would be private. It isn't, which then meant to hire sunbeds for the day was 8 euros, something I wasn't prepared to pay when this is the only option if you don't get up early enough to get space around the hotel pool. I do think, because of the pool situation, the hotel should absorb the cost of sunbeds on the beach, I think this would be a gesture well appreciated. We tended to have sunbeds on the grassed area, there is a little more room there, but then sadly you don't have the lovely pool view I envisaged through the Thomson brochure.

The wasps also are a problem. After the first few days we started eating inside because of them, such a shame when the eating area outside is so nice. There aren't just one or two wasps, you would have half a dozen buzzing around your plate. This does become tiresome and like other reviewers, I really can't understand why the hotel does not sort this out.

The Spa? I wasn't impressed. An indoor pool, small gym, and a steam room that, despite being shown round by the staff and asking twice what the steam room was like, no-one offered to show it to me, and I was told to telephone first before coming to use it. I'm still not sure why?

Ermones itself? Too quiet for us. I had wanted quiet and relaxing, but not as quiet as Ermones. I would definitely recommend hiring a car and go out and explore, There are some charming villages up in the hills, and we enjoyed driving more through these than the seashore roads. I think the North-west side of the island is nicest, and we found a lovely chilled cliffside bar in Paleokastritsa, called La Grotto, where people were jumping off the cliffs into the sea. Well worth stopping and absorbing the atmosphere for an hour or two.

To sum up, the hotel and the staff try their very best with the space problems/hotel layout. I think the fault lies with Thomson and the brochure specifications - a little more factual information in their brochure, so people are better informed before booking.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ermones
Philoxenia Hotel Corfu
#1 of 4 in Agios Stefanos
Corfu Mare Boutique Hotel
Corfu Mare Boutique Hotel
#3 of 10 in Corfu Town

Been to SENSIMAR Grand Mediterraneo Resort & Spa by Atlantica? Share your experiences!