“Friendly, Fun and Relaxing”
Review of Thomas Bay

Thomas Bay
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Agios Stefanos
Liverpool
“Friendly, Fun and Relaxing”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We last visited the Thomas Bay in August 2012, our 6th visit in 9 years. The hotel is family run and is in an excellent central spot on the main road in San Stefanos, please don't mis interpret this, San Stefanos is a tiny, peaceful resort with just a handful of bars, restaurants and hotels and a beautiful white sandy beach with gradual shelving sands.
The rooms at the hotel are basic, but comfortable with daily maid service and fresh towels and bedding every other day. The hotel is also 'adults only' through Thomson holidays so is peaceful at meal times and around the pool. The hotel is open to the general public for drinks and snacks through the day, great economical daily specials, and in the evenings for entertainment including quizzes, karaoke and cash bingo with the lovely heather. Also, regular Greek dancing by the staff and everyone is encouraged(but not forced) to join in.
The hotel basis is half board, the breakfast is continental style with tea or coffee, juice, then Greek yoghurt, fruit or cereal and toast. If you prefer a cooked breakfast this will cost you 2 Euros. The evening meal is 3 courses and the food is home cooked traditional Greek and is delicious.
Most of the guests are returning guests like ourselves who have been going for years, it's like catching up with your holiday family !!
Nic and Nico run the bar area and nothing is too much trouble for them and their sense of humour is fab.
As I mentioned earlier, the beach is beautiful and the 'Mango Beach Bar' offers 2 sunbeds and a parasol and ice bucket with 1litre of water for 10 euros per day and they hav staff on the beach to go and get you a cocktail or beer if you need one. They also do fab lunches and it is so relaxing eating lunch looking out to sea with a drink and a cool breeze.
At the end of the main road to the beach is the 'juice bar' run by Shane and his wife. They are from Australia and their daughter and her husband run the 'Ozzy Oil' restaurant. Shane is the happiest person I have ever met with a huge smile for everyone, they do freshly squeezed juices, sandwiches and afternoon tea. You can order your lunch from them on your way to the beach in the morning and collect them at lunchtime in a cool bag, their feta cheese and olive baguettes are to die for.
I can't write a review for San stefanos without mentioning the 'Condor' bar (opposite Thomas Bay) another family run bar with great home cooked food (huge portions) fab cocktails and super entertainment including tribute acts and karaoke.
All in all this is a quiet resort with entertainment for those who want it or peace and relaxation for those who don't. I personally like a mixture of both. On you have been here you will return, I guarantee it. See you in August xx

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank evertonendo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Greek first
Scotland
Reviewed February 10, 2013

If you are looking for a nice relaxing holiday then the Thomas Bay will not disappoint you. Customer service is first class from Reception through to the bar staff, cleanners, and restaurant.

The accommodation is ideal, basic but extremely clean and surely this is something that is most important when choosing a hotel. With regard to previous comments if you are a seasonal traveller then you would realise that the Thomas Bay provides adequate facilities and the best customer service by far.

The pool area is spotless and the pool service is excellent along with reasonably priced food at lunchtime. Dinner at night is very varied and you would really be hard to please to not find something to choose from the menu.

I personally can't wait until September and look forward to a lovely break that I know will enjoy.

Regards to all at Thomas Bay.

Room Tip: Front of property is lovely
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank AnneM123Scotland
Kent
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We (a couple in our 50's) needed a break and this hotel, location and island fitted all our needs. The hotel is really lovely, (all English and nice mix of people). We went in early October and we stayed the week where we did have three days of some rain, however don't let that put you off, the other weeks before and after were, we were advised beautiful.

This is the first hotel that I have ever stayed in that I have been able to hang all my clothes up, loads of coathangers. The rooms are basic and more than adequate. No fridge but we took a kettle, take your tea and coffee, as expensive. The bathrooms are a little small and the shower curtains where as a dress on occasions but hot water everytime. They lay on a karaoke evening and some live music during the week which floods into the rooms nearby but stops at a reasonable time (midnight) if you are a 'bed early'. I can imagine that in peak holiday time the bars along the street may compete musically and therefore be somewhat noisy but going at this time of the year bars were closing for the winter and there was a magical calm everywhere.
The dining area is in a conservatory overlooking the pool, no dress code at any time day or evening, which is great, comfortable in shorts that is fine by them. The evening meals we thought were delightful, you had a three course meal and three choices on each. The klaftiko, pork and beef were all beautfully cooked and the starters are massive. The staff are willing, amiable and understand the holidays pleasures of their customers. The breakfasts are basic but for 2.50 euro you could by a cooked breakfast, well worth it. I thought this was great environmentally as none of the food waste that so often happens within the catering environment.

The hotel is by all accounts owned by three partners, one works as a waitor within the hotel. A greek and a scottish lady are front of house who were both very approachable and helpful.

What can you do there? Well the option is to lizard and laze out or...

There is a tennis court for a good bash about.

Opposite there is a great place where you can hire a quad bike (about 20-25 euro) for the day...we had a quad bike out for a couple of days and managed to get over to Kalmani on the northeast coast where Gerald Durrell house is, then on another day down to Paleokastritsa which is really a 'must see', the views are outstanding./breathtaking, (no understatement here), also taking the bike there,no parking issues anywhere.

Rhoda, this is where we went for a horse ride, told them that we weren't very good and we had a beautiful walk/trot along the beach (17.50 euro)

Bus stop to Corfu town is right outside the hotel on the left, about an hour and a half to get there. We went to the fortress and looked over the harbour and jigsaw puzzle of roof tops and noise of the city is charming, good views from here. We walked to the British Cemetary and had a walk about. We met the delightful owner of the house built within the cemetary who made us laugh, eighty years of age he had been born in the house and whose claim to fame was 'the only person in Corfu book in a cemetary', a wealth of knowledge on the history of Greece, a real priviledge to meet.

Stefanos bay has a couple of charming bars on the beach, we went down and had a glass of wine and watched the sunsent before dinner one evening, (on another customers recommendation) and we were certainly not disappointed.

I hired a bike one morning and took a wander out to the local villages (walking up and cycling down) (5 euro)

There are some great walks...for all types of abilities.

If you want to see some of this beautiful island, look at the olive, lemon and orange trees, see the goats, the beautiful bays, sunsets and absorb the wonderful Greek charm, this hotel was perfectly priced and more than fitted our needs. Thank you St. Thomas for giving a wonderful week on your beautiful island.

10 Thank Burnhow
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I was looking for a quiet relaxing break which I could take from my local airport. Having read some reviews on the Thomas Bay I thought this hotel would suit my husband and myself. It was obvious the hotel caters for mature couples. It has a three star rating, which is about right. I also realised it would be a longish trip from the airport as I had looked it up on a map, so no surprise there. I was surprised however to have a full meal on our late arrival, this was good. Yes the breakfast was simple, but I knew what it would be like as I had read up on it. The hotel is clean and the staff very helpful, I never felt I was being spied on and we did take odd items of food to eat in our room. I thought the food was of a good standard, and typical of a three star hotel. The resort was winding down for winter, but there were a few tavernas still open and they were all good. Yes it was quiet, and I would not consider taking young children there. It suited my husband and myself down to the ground. Would I go back.............possibly for a quiet break.

Room Tip: Our room was facing the street and there was a taverna opposite which had closed the day before we g...
3 Thank MC1948
swindon
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Firstly I have to correct the last review at no time during our stay did nico spy on us or any other guests bringing drinks to drink from outside........we stayed 19th/26th October.
All the staff were friendly and had good and friendly banter with everyone,but especially nico and baby nico were really attentive to everyones needs.
My wife on some evenings didn't fancy anything on the menu but was allowed to choose from the bar menu and was cooked with no bother at all.
Really friendly atmosphere met some lovely people.
And at breakfast sky news was played on the tv which everyone there thought it was good.
Rooms were clean but again as with anywhere in Greece you need more bath mats as the floor gets wet.
And yes there is an older clientele at this hotel but some nights we were up drinking to about 1 and they stayed up later than us!!!
It is a quite resort but the wife and I have hectic working life's and enjoyed the peace and quite.
Beach is lovely really nice.
It was nice to go somewhere where your not hassled into buying this and that and being annoyed like you get in some country's.
This is the fourth time we have been to Corfu but the first to Thomas bay.....would we go back YES.
Only negative is long transfer ours was 1.30 mins and pesky wasps but it was funny watching people doing the wasp dance myself included.

Room Tip: Pool view is best
7 Thank cedricswindon
west midlands
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Just arrived back october 2012 with partner. The resort is for older people who want to relax and get abit of sun. Very nice and clean hotel sheets were changed every two days. the last review said it all in a handfull. The dissapointment about the hotel was there were signs up do not used the towels in the bathroom for the floors but after having a shower the floors are wet and dangerous so we have no choice but to use them. Had to keep begging for soap no shower gel fridge kettle ect in room Not much english talking tv channels for you to watch. What can I say about breakfast We paid for half board through thomsons (shame on you thomsons) and got two slice of toast, cheap rubbery cornflakes bowl of fruit and a cup of tea were they used their hands and gave you one tea bag if we wanted a full breakfast we had to pay another £2.50 more could not belive it! it was the same thing every morning dinner was quite fulling but the same desert every evening. The food all tasted cheap and low budget like they were bugeting. I came back thinner than anything and it suppose to be a break away. The drinks ect was expensisive we drank out staff always walk around and watch you to see if you are bringing any food/drink from outside especially nico. Staff was nice enough and gave false smiles like they had too. Be careful what you do in your room or carry the cleaners report everything to the managers and reception we got one towel cleaner reported it and they wanted us to pay for the towel (erm they suppose to be dirty!!!) Sorry I went there it was boring especially for the poor old dears. It was a very quiet resort the beaches were lovely no good shops around so we caught the bus to sidari (30 min) and corfu town centre (one and half min) which had good shops bus stops outside the hotel fares are cheap around three euros. Overall I went to greece it took two and a half hours to get to hotel from the airport we were exhausted but one thing i must give them they gave us dinner when we arrived late around eleven at night thanks but you wont be seeing us there again.

Room Tip: pool and front veiw is good. Its not cheap there you can see that the greeks are stuggling the place...
2 Thank jay m
UK
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Returned three days ago after a lovely relaxing week.
From meeting Heather on reception to leaving to come home we found all the staff very helpful and friendly.The rooms and public areas were always spotlessly clean.
The standard breakfast is simple but enough to give a start to the day. Snacks are available all day and the evening meals tend to follow a Greek trend but are very large and tasty.The kitchen would prepare something different if the menu was not to your liking.
There was always sun beds available at any time of the day - maybe in high season there may be more demand, but the hotel was almost full during our stay.
The area is brilliant for walks and getting lost discovering new places.The beach is very good with a place to go "skinny dipping" if you have a mind to walk to the far right end.
There was some form of entertainment every evening albeit Quizz or Karaoke. Best of all it is a Child free hotel and thats priceless.

3 Thank 11057
Philoxenia Hotel Corfu
Philoxenia Hotel Corfu
#1 of 4 in Ermones
Sugar & Almond - Luxury Apartments
Sugar & Almond - Luxury Apartmen...
#4 of 13 in Agios Stefanos

Been to Thomas Bay? Share your experiences!