“Heaven on Earth”
Review of Romanza Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Agios Stefanos
Romanza Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Agios Stefanos
Reviewed July 15, 2010

My wife and I visited The Romanza Hotel for the 8th year recently and like Yiannis26 (a recent subscriber who was there at the same time as us) have only praise for this fantastic hotel.
The Trip advisor website shows the hotel as 9 out of 452 hotels in Corfu, I would disagree, to me it is, and always has been NUMBER ONE.

The owners:
The owners, (Mihalis, Eleni and Kostos) are the most kind, thoughtful, caring and generous people that you could ever wish to meet. Nothing is too much trouble for them. We were treated as one of the family and were lucky enough to be invited to their home for a family meal; home cooked by Eleni and her son Spiros.

The management team:
Since the new management team took over last year (2009) they have transformed The Romanza into the friendliest and most hospitable hotel you could wish to find.
The management team consists of Alex, Andreas, Katie and her husband Leo (my best friend) ably assisted by Dimitris, Marina, Kostos junior, Marianna and Eftahiah.
Leo is keen on spear fishing and went with us one day on a trip to the islands and having caught some nice fish, proceeded to cook us a fish soup and pan fried fish at no cost. Where else would you get that sort generosity?

The rooms:
Small, comfortable and perfectly adequate. Cleanliness is to a high standard with regular sheet and towel changes. There is a TV and a kettle in all rooms. We found that air conditioning wasn’t necessary as rooms are nice and airy if you leave the doors and windows open due to the new fly screens fitted.

Pool area:
Large L shaped pool with plenty of sun beds and a pool bar which is open throughout the day. Nice views over the beach below (watch out for the “nudie dudies”)

Entertainment:
As previously posted by others the BBQ night (where Leo is cook), has to be the best in town, with dancing and live bouzouki and keyboard playing. Andreas (son of Katie and Leo) is the best Greek dancer we’ve ever seen. He is about six feet tall and can kick over a foot (30 cm) above his head, although I always tell him that I can teach him to kick higher!! All the family join in including Katie and Alex’s mum and dad. All guests are encouraged to dance and “the family” teach you the steps. At the end of the evening the whole family get together and harmonise in singing Greek songs, a fantastic family atmosphere that you will never experience in England.

The views:
These can only be described as breathtaking as all bedrooms face the sea. From the hotel and the majority of rooms you can see Albania and the small islands of Diaplos, Yakapus, Mathraki, Othono and Ericussa just off the North West coast of Corfu.

The breakfasts:
There has been some negative comments posted in the past regarding breakfasts, and of course everyone is entitled to an opinion.
Here is my opinion. You are served with fruit juice, toast, butter, jam, honey and either scrambled eggs, boiled eggs or ham and cheese with unlimited tea and coffee which is about the same as you would get in any other hotel in San Stefanos, unless, of course, you want to pay 5 star “Delfino Blu” prices.
There are options for more traditional English breakfasts such as “the full English” which consists of 2 eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, mushrooms, tomato and toast at a cost of 3 euros, cheaper than anywhere else in San Stefanos. With these extra breakfasts you also get your “included in the price” breakfast as well. I had an English breakfast only twice during my two weeks there and found that I was “stuffed”.
When you consider that the tour operator (you know who that is) pays a paltry 8.50 euros per person per night for the room and the breakfasts, it brings it home to you what good value this hotel is.

Lunches and dinners:
Superb food home made by Katie and her two kitchen staff, beautifully presented salads, burgers, omelettes, and many more choices for lunch with a vast range of Greek dinners including Saganaki, Kokkinisto (my favourite), Sofrito, Stamna, Stifado, Moussaka and many more Greek and international meals as well.
The sunsets over the islands viewed from the restaurant are frequently described as the best in Corfu, and who am I to disagree.

San Stefanos town:
We fell in love with San Stefanos the first time we ever visited it. It’s a quiet, laid back resort with no hustle bustle. It has plenty of bars and restaurants, but is not “lager loutish”. If you’re looking for party action or night clubs staying open to the early hours, don’t come here, go to Kavos.
The restaurant and bar owners are all so friendly; they recognise and wave to you as you walk by.

Would we go again?
Darn right we will as often as we can, this place is heaven on earth.

2  Thank LesGeo

Reviewed July 6, 2010

Oh yes, we have spent a fantastic time at Romanza for the second year in a row (already planning the 3rd one). We really don't know how to thank everyone who work there for the attention we have received from you, for the wonderful time we had, for the fantastic Greek nights and for the view from the balcony! Waking up in the morning with a sea view, it is worth a million dollars! We shall be back for the 3rd time next year! We are looking forward to seeing you again.
Dora + Konstantine

1  Thank Dora25
Reviewed July 6, 2010

My wife and I just returned from our 10th year running at the Romanza.Everything as usual was perfect.This is all down to the wonderful people who run the hotel.I do not intend to write a detailed review as I did that last year when I described my holiday as the best yet.All I will say is that under the new management team of the last 2 seasons the hotel is going from strength to strength.Do not take my word for it because after 10 years running I may be classed as slightly biased.Instead read the previous reviews for this season.Note how reviewers comment on the wonderful family atmosphere especially on Barbecue night.Also note the comments running through all the reviews regarding the restaurant. One reviewer stating it is the best in the village.Praise well deserved as Katie and family have only been doing the job for just over a year.People have said that when the last restaurant team left it would never be the same.I am delighted to say I totally agree.When you couple the food, service, and hospitality together it is now better than ever.As I said earlier do not take my word for it read the earlier reviews.Better still visit the Romanza and form your own opinion.

Reviewed July 4, 2010

Any holiday is what you yourself make of it. The location, staff, accomodation, facillities and atmosphere at the Romanza and San Stefanos are both SUPERB!. for the reasonably fit wanting a relaxing break. It is quite a hilly area, but the views from the higher locations are marvellous. A visit to the church in Avliotes provides a beautiful, peaceful, scenic 360 degree view of the surrounding countryside.
At the hotel, the use of fly screens on the balcony doors and toilet window is inspirational on the managments part. It allowed all windows to be open providing the occasional light breeze to flow through the room. It is the first time I have seen this feature after many visits to the Greek islands. The kettle in the room was useful, mugs supplied on request. The staff were most helpful regarding any requests and were happy to provide sandwiches in lieu of breakfast which was always served with a smile. The basic breakfast was adequate and could be supplemented at a small cost. The evening meals, if you chose to eat at the hotel, were superb and enhanced by a beautiful clifftop sunset. The pool area is reasonably spacious and provides a 'great chill' out space, with plenty of loungers available.
A very enjoyable holiday which I will gladly repeat.

1  Thank Kombiboy
Reviewed June 30, 2010

Having travelled to Corfu a couple of times previously and read the reviews of this hotel, I had high expectations of the Romanza and we weren't disappointed. I booked direct with the hotel through their website rather than Thomson to get more flight flexibility and it was a bargain way of doing it. Be aware that the transfer from the airport is quite a trek though. We booked a taxi at the cost of 50 euros one way - seemed a bit expensive but for a 50 minute journey after midnight, it was well worth it not to have the hassle of trying to find the hotel in the pitch dark!
Despite arriving at 2am, it was reassuring that a member of staff met us out of the taxi and showed us to our room straight away. Very very slight disappointment when I saw the room as it was smaller than I hoped and not the high floor we had requested but when I saw the view the next morning, I was instantly happier. This hotel could not be in a better spot with superb sea views from every angle. The rooms are quite basic, as is usually the case in Greece, but perfectly comfortable with good standards of cleanliness and regular sheets and towel changes. The only small complaint would be that we would've liked more drawer space as there's not a lot of storage for 2 people for 2 weeks. You do pay for the views by being on the top of a hill but nothing that the half-fit can't cope with and it did get easier as the days went on. The Tereza hotel bar half way down the hill is a great stop-off for a drink with excellent sea views.
There is a lovely, clean and quiet pool area with plenty of sun beds and quite frankly the best pool bar we've ever been to. You usually just get burgers and beer at these places but it was restaurant style food at any time of the day, excellent friendly service from Andreas - all in a perfect seaview setting. We lived on the Italian bread starter and the moussaka and pasta dishes are superb. There has been some criticism on Trip Advisor about the breakfasts but we enjoyed them. You could order extra things at a small cost if you wanted a change and this suited us perfectly well.
San Stefanos village is lovely little place with some great bars and restaurants, not packed and maybe not great for families who like the hustle and bustle but it suited us down to the ground. There's certainly enough places to eat for a different place every night and the Greek hospitality is second to none. We would recommend '2 Star' Taverna and 'Mythica' restaurant - also Zorbas is excellent for superb food mixed with greek fire dancing. There is a great little car hire place which does great rates and they even allowed us to leave the car at the airport so we didn't have to fork out for a return taxi. As it turned out, the car was a godsend as we had disappointing weather on the 2nd week - storms and it was VERY windy on the Romanza hill. It did stop us appreciating the hotel but thats the price you pay for being high up, I suppose. It was fluke weather apparently and not a usual thing.
All in all, the Romanza hotel is pefect for couples wanting a quiet, peaceful holiday with beautiful surroundings and excellent food. We will most definitely be back :)

1  Thank Noggin1976
Reviewed June 23, 2010

My Wife, Sister in Law, her Husband and I have recently returned from our second stay at the wonderful Hotel Romanza in San Stefanos, Corfu.
This small hotel has comfortable rooms, great staff and must have some of the most spectacular sunsets in all of the Greek Islands, it is run by a fantastic Corfiot Family, who really go out of their way to ensure that your stay with them is really enjoyable.

Our Group all enjoy Greek food and the food in the hotel was excellent home cooking, thank you once again Katie, I am now on a diet!, and great value at 11 Euros for a 3 course set menu (You had better be hungry!) which is changed daily and a comprehensive menu if you prefer more choice.
I would personally recommend the Sofrito, which is up there with the best I have eaten and the "Gigantos Beans" are fantastic if you prefer a vegetarian option.
The house wine, we prefered the white, was also great vaue at 7 Euros a litre and was always well chilled and served with a smile.
The changes to the Greek economy had not yet started to bite when we were in Corfu, but I am sure that the increase in fuel and tax will make for a substantial increase in food and drink prices in the island resorts, one Supermarket raised the price of a 2 litre bottle of Metaxa Brandy from 30 Euros to 47 Euros in a week!
However we found the bar prices at the Romanza reasonable and Leonidis and his son Andreas were generous with complimentary raki and ouzo to guests.
The "Greek Barbecue Night" was different from any other I have attended, as along with the expected Greek Dancing by the Family who run the Hotel, we were treated to fantastic live Greek Music and group harmony singing by the Family, it felt like you were at a private party in their home and all the better for it!

The downside of the fantastic cliff top location, if you can call it that, is a) The transfer from the airport, which can take up to 90 minutes depending who you are dropping off and where, but if you are travelling through the day the views are quite spectacular.
And b) the road to the hotel fron the village of San Stefanos is via quite a steep hill, whether you walk up from the beach or on the main road. We are all in our mid 50's and after a few trips in and out of the village, we hardly notice the gradient or maybe it was the Ouzo? There were no taxis in the village at the time of our stay, so it was either hire a car or "shanks pony to get back to the Hotel from the village, about a 15-20 minute walk.

All in All, San Stefanos provides a wonderful relaxing base for a holiday in May/June and has quite a number of bars and tavernas if you fancy a stroll in the Town, we found the food in "2 star" and "Little Prince" very nice and "Yiannis" was a nice place to pause for an ice cold glass of Mythos and "People Watch" on your way back to the Romanza.

I have some reservations in providing this Hotel review as I would not like to think that it would make future visits more difficult to book due to it becoming too popular

Reviewed June 19, 2010

Rooms better than expected, not basic. Ensuite with fridge, kettle, flat screen T.V, oh yeah a nice bed as well. All windows and doors had mozzie screens which was great for going to sleep with them open whilst listening to the sound of the sea. The views from the hotel are amazing and their evening restaurant is the best in town. Great food and fantastic service - we ate there 4 times in a week wished we had made it 7!!!

Minor niggles were the towels weren't changed every day and the breakfast was too basic with no choice offered. Fresh fruit and greek yoghurt would have been nice.

We booked last minute direct with the hotel and I was extremely impressed with the ease of booking and price.

1  Thank travellermanmike
#1 of 17 in Gouvia
Romantic Palace Hotel
Romantic Palace Hotel
#4 of 13 in Agios Gordios

Been to Romanza Hotel? Share your experiences!