“Warm welcom. Excellent food.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Romanza Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Agios Stefanos
Romanza Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Agios Stefanos
cheshire
“Warm welcom. Excellent food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Back in san stefanos again after visiting two years ago. Chose to stay elsewhere this holiday ( the hill became too much last time) , but ate here on the nights we had transport. Recieved a very warm welcom back on arrival and had two fantastic meals. The sevice is friendly but efficient and the food delicious. Sat on the beautiful veranda and watched an amazing sunset. Well worth a visit, one of the highlights of our holiday.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Lovely hotel all in all. Lovely view and very nice staff. However . . . The bathrooms in the rooms that have not been redecorated are awful. They must be 20+ years old and the ceiling in ours was covered in mould patches. It would not cost much to at least paint them!

The food in the hotel was lovely . The hill to the town/beach is very steep and does put you off going out at night. I cannot believe there are no taxis in the resort!!! I had intended getting a taxi back each night as it really is a chore walking up a very steep hill every day.

Cocktails in hotel were cheap and served beautifully. If during the winter months the owner redecorated the old bathrooms it would be a real gem.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where the bathroom has been replaced/redecorated!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
1 Thank alison e
Leeds UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Didn't stay here this year but once again visited for their famous Sunday night BBQ. Great service and food from Andreas and co. Don't go here expecting bingo and chips...... Go expecting a typical Greek experience with wonderful food

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

This was our first time at the Romanza and we were not disappointed. We were met by Marina on reception at 10.30 pm so were feeling a little tired but she showed us our room and told us if we wanted a meal we could go the restaurant - we only went and had a nice refreshing larger that night but had many meals there during the holiday which were excellent.
We felt the whole of the Romanza staff made us feel very welcome and everyone worked very hard to make everyones holiday a happy one. The meals at the Romanza which we had were excellent, a good selection on the menu and the set meal 3 course for 10.50 euros was excellent value. Ken thought the apple pie was delicious and I tried most of the other sweets which looked attractive as well as tasting good.
The Greek evenings were so much fun and Andreas his Mama and Vassilys were very good dancers and the first Sunday Greek Evening on our holiday it was a spectacular sunset and then the moon appeared, the music was good - quite a perfect evening for us - it must have been as Spiros got me up to dance with everyone else - quite a feat.
The hotel room which we had was quite small but quite sufficient - had hairdryer, kettle , fridge all what it stated in brochure and had a large veranda with spectacular views of the sea - we paid for air conditioning for the 2 weeks at 5 euros per day and it was very efficient and not too noisy.
We felt the breakfast was perhaps a little basic at first but we soon got into the swing of things and looked forward to Spiros bringing it to the table (at least we didn't feel you had to get up early to get the freshest food as everyone got the same) and there were plenty of choices to pick from if you wanted to pay a little extra and we appreciated the help given by Yannis26 who has been there many times before and gave us little tips which we appreciated.
The Romanza is on top of the cliffs so I'm afraid unless you rent transport the walk up and down to the beach or going up and down the road is a bit of a expedition especially in the heat but the beach is lovely and shallow water for a none swimmer is great.
So we can only say we really enjoyed our first holiday at the Romanza - hope to see you again in the future.
Pam & Ken, Nottinghamshire

Room Tip: All of the rooms have sea views - rooms away from the bar and pool are quieter
      Sleep Quality
5 Thank Hallifax2
Staffordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

We have just returned from our third visit to this hotel in as many years and have had another memorable holiday. The hotel is situated at the top of a steep hill and that is the only downside! On the plus side the views are magnificent, the rooms whilst basic are kept very clean and tidy; the pool area is excellent and the food served at lunch times and in the evenings is very good. However the best thing about this hotel is that the staff are so very friendly and obliging. The receptionists, Stella and Marina , are always on hand to answer any queries you have, The bar staff, Andreas Spiros and Vassillis are a great team whilst Katie is an excellent cook. The hotel is managed by Eleni (nitsa) who though quiet and unassuming makes sure that nothing spoils your holiday in a very efficient and effective manner. Don't be put off by the hill, get a car, get fit, whatever, miss this hotel and you miss out. I almost forgot on Sundays they hold a great Bar-B-Q with lots of great food , traditional Greek dancing and lots and lots of plate smashing..... no atmosphere? if you want bingo and Karaoke this is not the place for you however if you want a great holiday then this is the place

Rooms
2 Thank DACStaffordshire
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

Great hotel in a great position... will keep you fit and healthy. Would recommend, we are not breakfast eaters but think it would be best to provide an excellent continental breakfast and don't bother with the "full english" you are in Greece do as the locals do!

Room Tip: Room 4 is great
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LehaneSarah
Whitby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

I have studied this years reviews in great detail & I am surprised at some of the comments.These range from basic breakfasts,poor quality meals,bug infested rooms& grotty bathrooms to a lack of atmosphere.
While respecting the right of the people who made these posts to state their honest opinion my experience is in complete contrast.
My wife & I have visited the Romanza at least once a year for the last 14 years & are both of the opinion, if the Lord made a better place he is keeping it to himself.
I would like comment on some of the observations as follows.
75% of the bathrooms have been completely renovated including new walk in showers.It was the owners plans to complete all rooms prior to this season but it was not possible.This was due to major work being required to strengthen the area around the pool area following the cliff slipping away during the winter rains.Tons of concrete had to be used to ensure the pool did not end up on the beach.All this meant the planned bathroom refurbishment had to be
posponed.The remaining bathrooms have the shower base & a curtain.Old yes but not grotty.
As for basic breakfasts I will not argue that point.Yes they are basic but ample with cereal being added this year.A large menu of excellent options are available including a full English for 3 Euros.As for the average quality of the evening meals, with far better quality in the village this is a personal taste.I am not saying the poster does not believe it to be true. I can only say that the vast majority of visitors to the Romanza believe the food is among if not the best in the village.
As for the bug infested rooms I have never had a problem.The patio door & windows are fitted with excellent mosquito screens which if kept closed will keep out the bugs.Couple this with plug ins & the fact the maids spray the rooms should solve most problems.
The final comment found , lack of atmosphere I find very surprising.Yes the Romanza will have quiet nights & if you want Greek dancing with every meal this may not suit you.Having said that the Greek night on a Sunday is packed with atmosphere.A night with live music & Greek dancing by the staff which in my opinion is the best you will find in the village.With an audience of guests & locals.Tuesday nights this year has a Greek duo playing & singing authentic local music.Live Bouzouki music coupled with a lady with a magnificent voice.
The above is my own personal opinion & I respect the right of other people to post their own honest reviews.I can only say the majority of concerns raised I have not come across in my 14 years at the Romanza.
I will not give a detailed review as I would be saying the same things I have said in the past.I will therefore restrict it to the changes in staff.
Marina is back on reception following the birth of her son.
Dimitri is no longer working the Taverna evenings with Andreas.He has had to leave to join the family business the Arilas Brewery.The workload at the brewery has expanded dramatically& the family needed him.I am pleased to say the Romanza now has their lager on draught.
Dimitri will be sadly missed but he has been replaced by an equally excellent waiter in Vassily(Ex Zorbas).He is not only a great guy but an excellent addition to the dancing talent on Greek night.
This review is my own honest opinion but as I have booked already for my 15th year it could be slightly biased.I therefore suggest you read the detailed review by DNP6 who stayed at the hotel at the same time as myself.A review I agree with 100%.
A word of advice when reading Trip Advisor reviews ignore the top & bottom 5% and what you have left will be pretty close to the truth.
Yiannis26

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view but the high floor is best.
8 Thank YANNIS26
#1 of 13 in Paleokastritsa
Voula Apartments
Voula Apartments
#2 of 13 in Agios Stefanos

Been to Romanza Hotel? Share your experiences!