“Another 2 great weeks at the Romanza”
Review of Romanza Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Agios Stefanos
Romanza Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Agios Stefanos
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Another 2 great weeks at the Romanza”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Returned again for another 2 weeks in September. Faultless service from all staff, everyone so polite and friendly. Never found other guests who return yearly unwelcoming even on first visit.
Room cleaned daily and towels and bed linen changed every other day.
Restaurant and bar service exceptional, breakfasts adequate considering not much allowance from Thomsons, options on menu competitive and Katie's cooking good as anywhere else in the village.
As for the hill, not really a problem and I have had 2 complete knee replacements!
Will return again.

6 Thank Peter B

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed here the first 2 weeks in Sept 2012 for our honeymoon and after reading other reviews had good expectations. The reality is that the view is by far the best thing about this hotel!

The Reception staff were friendly but I found at least 1 of the cleaners extremely rude! (said good morning to her one day and she just gave me a dirty look and started laughing and the only other time I saw her she was staring at me and smirking! no idea what that was about!!). No member of staff ever introduced themselves to us so we only knew Marina's name after overhearing others and she was friendly.

The breakfast we only had approx 3 or 4 times, most of these were out of necessity if we were waiting to be collected for excursions etc and did not have time to go to the village. The breakfast is not laid out like a buffet as you would expect a continental breakfast in the UK to be, instead you sit down and a waiter just brings you what you are allowed to have. This consisted of 2 slices of toast, 1 croissant, butter/jam, glass of "orange juice" (no idea what this was but it definately had never seen a real orange!) and eggs. You werent given a choice how you would like the eggs, they would alternate them each day so you would either get boiled, poached, scrambled etc. You could get your own tea/coffee from the urns but it was awful. You could however upgrade to full english at a cost of 2.50 euros each.

I would recommend the Little Prince near the road to the beach, lovely breakfasts and good value! We ate there for breakfast most days!!

The room was clean and tidy on arrival and was cleaned each day (beds made etc). I believe towels were changed every 2nd day and bed linen evry 3rd day. We had a fridge, kettle, 2 cups, 2 glasses and 1 spoon. These were never washed or swapped the entire 2 weeks and no surfaces were wiped down so if like us you spill a bit of coffee on the top of the fridge, which was one of the only surfaces available to make drinks besides the 1 small dresser that was housing both of our toiletries, this was still there the day we left. The floors didnt feel as though they had a good sweep either as there was always dirt/sand etc under foot.

The shower curtain is useless which meant the bathroom floor was flooded each time we used it!! The air conditioning is good and is reasonable at 5 euros per day. The beds are rock hard and we struggled to get comfortable, averaging only a few hours sleep each night!

The hill! Dont let anyone fool you... that hill is a tow at any time of the day or night! We hired a quad from Spiros Bikes in the village (would highly recommend!) which was the only way we could manage it and we are only in our late 20's!

The other guests in the hotel were all repeat customers, mainly mature couples, most of whom go back at the same time every year so they all know each other! we were made to feel most unwelcome by them, especially when we walked in to the restaurant one morning where they were all laughing and joking and as soon as we walked in the room fell completely silent and they were all staring at us. We ate and run that day

Our room was far enough away from the bar that we didnt really hear anything unless it was sunday and they were having greek night, this lasted till the early hours the next morning. I did hear a gentleman complaining that the noise in his room was ridiculous but his room was above the reception

All in all, it has the potential to be great, it just falls short! We wont be returning or recommending the Romanza to anyone as we feel all in all very disappointed with our experience.

10 Thank EllenC1983
Aberdyfi (Aberdovey), United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I can only echo what everyone else has said so far! What a lovely friendly hotel set at the top of the hill which means fabulous views!

We stayed at Romanza for the last week of their season, the hotel closed on 12th October 2012 and will reopen in 2013.

The staff were really friendly and we made lots of good friends. Sadly the Greek night that others have mentioned was not available as most guests only ate breakfast at the hotel. We ate lunch there most days and everything we had was excellent.

The hotel pool was warm and a great place to chill out and chat with other guests and also Andreas in the bar and restaurant.

We ate at Zorbas everynight and met many of the romanza guests there along with guests from Kapetanios - a good time was enjoyed by all, especially our last night with Greek dancing by Pavlos and staff - thanks to all who made this a brilliant night, and if there is anyone that would like to keep in touch with us, we would love to hear from you. (Rich was the bouzaki / air guitar player that night!)

San Stefanos is a lovely place to go to chill out, so if you want night clubs its probably not for you. Relaxation and good food is what you will find here, and some really nice people.

A word of warning if you are not as mobile as we are, you may struggle with the hill to the hotel, so hire a car as there are no taxis in San Sefanos. We always took a torch with us which was really useful when walking back at night.

We will defintely return to Romanza, I know why everyone raved about the place, so thanks for sharing your views on Tripadvisor.

The hill was not a problem for us as we live halfway up a mountain, but if you are less mobile, I suggest that you hire a car as there is no taxi service in San Stefanos.

Room Tip: Ask for an end room for good views.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Borntochillout
near Kendal
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I am sure everyone thinks the same as I do.I came back from The Romanza on the 6thoct.I spent 3 weeks there on my own.Bliss no children or husband peace perfect peace.As much as I adore my family it is nice to escape our busy family in a place my husband knows I am among friends who take care of me.What can I say that has not been said before.Exceptional holiday all I could hope for.Young or older I fit in the latter age group and I celebrated my 57 birthday there among my friends I had made over the years I have been going to The Romanza Hotel and Andreas and Dimitri Katie and Leo.Thank you for the cake.And all the people who were there to sing happy birthday to me and my good friends Fiona and her friend sorry I have forgotten your name I do apologize .Sue and Mike McKimm.Love you all and thank you again.The food was excellent as ever as was the service and the extremely handsome greek men Andreas and Dimitri.Women on there own are treated with respect and as you know the greek men in and around san stef are optional.They are all in all gentlemen.I go home full of the greek way of life.And I cannot make it clearer if you want fun you can have it if you want peace you can have it.You make your own way inthe most amazing greek way of life. Take part live it enjoy it be happy.I know I am .On my many greek adventures to the Romanza Hotel.These are truly wonderful people full of warmth and hospitality in abundance .Sit back and enjoy.Till my next holiday ....Hello sambucca man James and his fiancee Tina and all who made my holiday so special.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view facing the wonderful San Stefanos and the great sunsets
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
10 Thank Barrow123
Otley
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Booked this holiday on impulse and with minimal research when we were fed up with the lousy British weather so did not go with high expectations. How wrong we were! Romanza is a great place to stay, our room was spacious, spotless and well maintained. Having a fridge was a bonus, especially as a little supermarket in the town would deliver free of charge which enabled us to have water and fruit etc. The staff were welcoming, friendly and always helpful which created a very enjoyable atmosphere. Breakfast was nothing special but lunches and evening meals were good quality and well presented. The beach was beautiful with several bars easily accessed from it. Plenty of choice of tavernas in town, we especially enjoyed Zorbas, Two Stars and the Little Prince as well as places like the Havanna Bar with good views over the sea. We met folk who came regularly to Romanza, we may well do the same now we have discovered it!

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room right at the end of the block. Although not benefitting from the best sea...
3 Thank OtleyQueenie
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We have just returned from a fantastic week at the Romanza Hotel in San Stefanos, Corfu. This is a really lovely place to go for a lovely relaxing holiday. Most of the guests were there for return visits, some for the second time this year. We loved it. The atmosphere is just so relaxing. The staff are really friendly. The views from your room, the pool, the bar and the restaurant are amazing and the sunsets are breath taking. The beach is lovely, the path back up to the hotel is a bit epic, but it keeps you fit and the pool is there to cool off when you reach the top. The rooms are good. They have modern bathrooms, with proper shower screens! Our fridge was noisy, but we only kept water in it, so unplugged it every night. The mosquito screen meant we could have our patio door open at night and hear the waves, whilst going off to sleep, which was fantastic. We ate in the restaurant at the hotel twice and the food was of a very high standard. The breakfasts are basic, but perfectly adequate and you can pay a tiny bit extra if you want more. All the restaurants in the resort that we ate at were very good. We didn't have one bad meal. We ate at Zorbas (twice), The Little Prince, Two Stars and Beach Combers. I'm sure we will return.

5 Thank Goldie069_10
Chippenham
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Our fourth visit to the Romanza this year which we loved just as much as the first. Katies food gets better each year which is why we spent most evenings dining at the Romanza. The staff are fantastic and can`t do enough for you, which makes it even more special. We were joined this year by our children and their partners who now know why we return to this hotel. What more can we say except thank you and see you next year.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
#2 of 13 in Agios Stefanos
Pictures Suites
Pictures Suites
#4 of 7 in Agios Stefanos

Been to Romanza Hotel? Share your experiences!