“Good”
Review of Granvue Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Omeath
Granvue Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Omeath B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Recently changed ownership, refurbished and a good experience had. Tasty breakfast and very friendly staff. I stayed in the village hotel in carlingford also, this is a much better place. Congratulations to the new owners to a great start.................

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
8  Thank shane c

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Booked the hotal through a Groupon deal and have to say that disappointed does not come close to describing it. I had read the reviews on here where I understood that modernisation was in progress and decided to give it the benifit of the doubt but was I wrong. On arrival my wife made the comment of 'oh isn't this lovely, I hope we get a room looking out at that'. We went into the hotel to check in and were greeted after several minutes by the barmaid who proceeded to book us in by ticking my name off a sheet and asking me for a 50 euro payment, I informed her I had prepaid on Groupon where she shrugged and handed me a key for room no.5. We were then pointed to a narrow staircase and told to go up there your room is at the top of the stairs, after 4 flights we reached the lobby where the rooms were to be greeted by some dirty cups and rubbish bags left in this area. When we entered the room it was discusting the ammount of stains on the walls etc of what can only be described as bodily fluids it was obvious that no attempt had been made to try and clean these as well as the dirty hand marks around the doors. The room was tiny and very dated the bed was crammed into the room allowing for very little movement around at that point we decided not to look any further(I shudder to think of what state the bathroom was in) and to give the key back as we would not be staying. We proceeded back to reception where after a customer returning from the toilet informed the barmaid that there was someone at the desk we were asked what the problem was with the room at which point she said I know they are bad and the manager would not be returning until later that evening but did we want our wine (no thanks). I understand that rooms are being modernised but that does not mean that cleaning them has to stop. I have advised Groupon and recieved a refund of my payment, please beware.

Room Tip: Leave your bags in the car until you check out where you are staying
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Buckwine
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We had a groupon offer for a meal and were pleasantly surprised by the huge portions of everything in each course - a little too much for us - but we were happy enough with what we ordered.

We decided to stay over that night (not included in the Groupon voucher), but were very disappointed with the tiny room on the first floor beside the entrance to the kitchen and where the exit door banged very loudly and the lavatory beside us had an endless stream of visitors!! On complaining, we were immediately shown the family room at the top of the stairs which had become vacant due to a cancellation - and there was no additional charge! Well pleased.

Breakfast the following morning was ok too. The mini fry was one of the best we've ever tasted, delicious, crispy bacon, perfect egg etc served on hot plates - a far cry from some of the overcooked, lukewarm buffet food we have experienced in some of the top 5* hotels. The only downside was the lack of any other choice. A box of cornflakes and a jug of orange juice sat very forlornly on top of the bar. It would have been nice to have had some wheaten bread or fresh fruit.

All in all, we would recommend this for a one night stopover but only if you are on the top floor.

Room Tip: Get the family room on the top floor if you can - well worth the stunning views from every angle
3  Thank Vollers
Reviewed July 23, 2013

we had a voucher for 2 nights stay with breakfast and free bottle of wine. Have to say the food on both nights was fantastic and the wine was tasty also. Room was ok, but a big drawback was the lack of tv in the room which meant no morning news or evening updates. When the weather changed and turned dull and breezy, you were expected to stay in the bar all day if you wanted to watch golf or GAA matches.. Would'nt be in a hurry to go back to the Granvue.

1  Thank Brendan D
Sprecken, General Manager at Granvue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

I thank you for your honesty. The hotel is going through a change in management. The special room rates are in place to reflect that there is no Television in the room, however there is a comfortable resident's area exclusive for the residents of the hotel.
The rooms are due to be upgraded in the slow season ie October. I hope you do come back then and see the changes.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We had a groupon meal offer, & are always nervous of what kind of service or quality of food you will receive with these offers. BUT this offer was a fantastic offer, we had never been to the Granvue Hotel before, and we had a lovely surprise to see the beautiful view from the restaurant. The three course meal was excellent, fresh & homemade, complements to the chef, followed by really good wine. The table service was exceptional, the waiter was kept very busy, because the restaurant was full, but the food arrived on time, hot & plentifully. I decided I would ask one of the other bar staff the name of the waiter, because I wanted to thank him personally, to my surprise he told his name is Steven and he is the owner.
Welldone Steven, we will be back to eat again very soon, and have highly recommended the hotel food to all our friends.

Room Tip: Go for a walk along the water front, and back around the village, its only a few miles from Newry, a...
2  Thank ShaneCeline
Reviewed July 1, 2013

we stayed on thursday night with a voucher so was a great value, we had a room with sea view and a free bottle of wine included and breakfast of course.The room wasvery old and not soundproof at all even from upstairs you can ear people walking and talking,very bad!
We had dinner in the lounge and food & service was very nice,we swapped the bottle of wine for pints of beer and there was no problem at all, there was the football match on and a very good atmosphere. Nice breakfast the day after and I want to say that all the staff was very very nice & kind.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank riccardo L

As general Manager I would like to thank you for your constructive feedback. The hotel is going through changes hence the special rates for the rooms. I am aware of the need for an upgrade and plans are in place to do this in the coming months, October.
The rooms, although basic are kept to a high standard of cleanliness and hygiene.
We are classified as a 2 star hotel and our facilities do reflect that.
Again I thank you for your comments and assure you they will be actioned.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

we recently had are wedding in the hotel and we can honestly say that they did everything they could to make are day everything we could ever have wanted from the food which was praised by everyone who attended including award winning fine dining chefs we were all very happy with the whole experience Steven and all his staff really do try there best and the service is as good as any we have ever had and its all with a smile and a little border hospitality cant beat it thanks again guys be with yous again for diner soon missing the views from are room already and loved the breakfast the morning after thanks again granvue team yez made all we wanted happen and more MR and MRS B

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Granvue Hotel? Share your experiences!