“Excellent Food but WAAAAY overpriced! :((”

La Trattoria Italiana
Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Madeira Park
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed August 9, 2014

This was a lovely restaurant but I don't get why they have to charge so much for their food. We had lunch and it was like $16.95 for my salad!! Yikes. Too expensive but I guess that's what you do when you're the only restaurant in "town"!

Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stopped at Ruby Lake just before sunset and had beautiful views over the lake. The welcome in the restaurant was warm and friendly although our request to change table couldn't be accommodated. The menu choice was quite extensive and sometimes unusual and the Italian waitress was very helpful giving full information. My meal however of ostrich was disappointing - previous ostrich medallions in South Africa were melt in the mouth tender which tempted me to try it again. However this time I had a large quantity of thick strips (not medallions...) which were tough and the mushroom and cream sauce wasn't enough to aid digestion. The sautéed vegetables were good but way too many (perhaps smaller quantities of meat and veg equalling a lower price would have been more palatable). My sister' shake dish was also rather dry. This was in a lovely, relaxed setting overlooking a small lake (and we also saw the beaver briefly) but I feel the food itself was expensive (ostrich 36 dollars) and disappointing.

Reviewed July 26, 2014

We had lunch at the Italian restaurant at Ruby Lake, and it was good. The waitress was very nice and we chatted about a number of things. We went back for dinner one night and were disappointed. It was crowded and service was very slow. The food was not very good. I had pasta bolognese and the meat (no sauce) was just plopped on the top of what seemed like 8 oz of pasta (who could eat that much?). My dish was tasteless and I barely made a dent in that much pasta. Mu husband's food was not much better. Very disappointed since lunch was so good.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

The Italian food restaurant is the only restaurant in the area.The nearest is probably 25 minutes away, so they have a captive audience, so to speak. The Food is extremely good. The people who run it are real Italians who I spoke with. The restaurant overlooks a pond where at night you can see all the wildlife. We ate next to a pond and watched a Beaver swim next to us for about 20 minutes. Also there are Eagles in the trees. The menu is not very large but the pasta we had was very good, but like I said, pricy. My pasta dish alone was around $20.00. Simple pasta with pesto, that's it. Together for 2 people our bill came to about 60 dollars. That's with no dessert.

Reviewed June 28, 2014

Only 10 minutes from the ferry landing and so, so much better than ferry food.
My GF really enjoyed the Halibut and chips and I had a great plate of spaghetti with wild prawns.
The restaurant is supposed to be mainly Italian with a seafood slant but was somewhat lacking in pasta types other than spaghetti.
There was some interesting choices for protein other than seafood as they also had wild boar and kangaroo - neither of which we tried!