Ruby Lake Resort
Painted Boat Resort(Madeira Park)
$181
$169
Hotels.com
Sunshine Coast Resort Hotel & Marina(Madeira Park)(Great Value!)
$126
The Stonewater Motel(Madeira Park)(Great Value!)
$99
Rockwater Secret Cove Resort(Halfmoon Bay)(Great Value!)
$140
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewssafari tentitalian restaurantoverlooking the lagooncanoe rentalssunshine coastunique experiencehiking trailsroom kitchenmagical placenatural settinga great place to spendla trattoriafull kitchenbeautiful propertycomfy bedtentsbirds
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 23, 2009

My husband, myself and our family friends rented the tents at Ruby Lake resort last night. We had a comfortable stay after a great day on Ruby Lake with our boat. The tents were cozy and the surrounding camping facilities were good; plenty of chairs and tables. The washrooms were clean and I was able to have a hot shower this morning in a clean shower stall. There was plenty of ice on hand to refill our coolers so we were good to go the today. The grounds are full of really neat gardens, wood workings and trails. We plan to make this a regular occurance and hope to get back up in the next few weeks; hopefully for a longer stay. We stayed in the cabins two weeks ago and enjoyed an awesome dinner at the resturante; will do that again too! This is our new favorite place to be. We were made to feel at home without being hovered over; thanks for the hospitality.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 23, 2009

From the moment you arrive into the spacious parking lot with Ruby Lake across the street you sense you are somewhere special. From the beautiful pond in front of the restaurant deck to the glorious green hills above you just know that now it is time to relax and enjoy. The friendly greeting you receive as you enter the restaurant is the hint that your satisfaction will be the number one priority for the Cogrossi family and their team of co-workers. From Giorgio's "Ciao" to Aldo's fine cooking the atmosphere is unlike anything you will find in the city. That is why we have returned so may times, year after year after year. Excellent service from a caring crew, boat rental, swimming area in Ruby Lake, long dock and the attached amenities like the performance stage in the forest under the stars (where we sat with Joni Mitchell as the ballet danced to her songs!), all these things and more make Ruby Lake Resort the one and only place where peace and serenity are yours always. Enjoy it!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 15, 2009

We booked the family safari tent for two nights. When we arrived it was almost raining, so we asked for a motel room instead and got one. They were able to change our reservation.

Pros
-as said by others, this is a gorgeous setting
-the owners obviously have a lot of interesting and innovative ideas
-the tents are lots of fun and the beds and linens comfy in the tents
-there are lots of outdoor amenities, including a warm lake for swimming, hiking, nearby outdoor attractions, and wide balconies to sit and do nothing

Cons
-I don't know how this place gets insurance. It is quite dangerous. There are exposed electrical cords outdoors everywhere, broken steps, solar lighting that dies by 9 p.m., leaving no way to safely get to the bathroom, and firepits that are too close to the tents. (hence the holes in the tent roofs) The tent next to us (Safari A) had a bare bulb hanging outdoors and the swim dock has broken ladder steps
-there are no kitchen facilities, water tap, or barbeque near the tents (there is a barbeque near the motel), so people were washing their dishes in the bathroom sink and because there is a campfire ban due to the dry woods, we had no way to cook our food. Normally we'd take a campstove, but we thought there would be at least a barbeque to heat our food
-the numerous trails are not well-marked. There are signs that have been washed out, which caused my sister and I to come very close to getting lost
-we saw no evidence of any sort of security. At 10 pm, people came racing in to their tents, waking the whole place up. We never met any of the owners other than at check-in (which is uncomfortable and chaotic, in the dining room)
-the whole resort needs a good deal of maintenance work and freshening
-our tent was great. Our motel room? Not so great for the price. It had broken blinds so people could see in, and for a room with two double beds and a single we were given three thin bath towels, one thin hand towel, and two washcloths.
-there was garbage on the property left over both days that we were there, including a pair of men's underwear on the footpath
-there are a lot of buildings that have big "No entry- private residence" signs on them which are apparently owner and staff housing. That's fine, but the place is oddly laid out and when you have beautiful gardens, people want to take a look. I felt like I was intruding just be walking by
-the website advises that no pets are allowed on the property due to the birds on site. The owners have a large dog that barks a lot, and there was a dog in one of the cabins while we were there. There was dog poop on the lawn.

So, was this a terrible experience? No. It was fun and different. Was it worth the $259 I paid. No. Do I think this place is a lawsuit waiting to happen? YES!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
7  Thank Slow-travel
Reviewed August 7, 2009

My wife and I and our 2 young kids (4 and 6) decided to visit the Sunshine Coast and for a nice "kid-friendly" vacation spot. Ruby Lake looked to fit the bill, close to hiking trails, wildlife, the beach beach. However, having not been to the Sunshine Coast before, we had no idea where to stay...I should have read the reviews before we came here!!!! (especially those referring to "Giorgio" the owner).

We are an outdoor-type family accustomed to doing lots of camping, so we decided to stay in one of the "family tents". When I booked the accommodations, I asked what they were all about and was told that it was like camping without having to bring all the "stuff". However, when we arrived the only "stuff" there was a walled tent with holes in the screens big enough to drive a truck through, 4 small hand towels, a thin blanket and a rock hard pillow per bed. There was no water, cooking utensils, stove, plates, bowls, cups, cutlery...(something the staff should tell you when you book)....and all the garbage left from the previous guests.

As it was about 730pm when we arrived we decided to stay the night anyway...however we had reserved for two nights. Upon seeing what the accommodations looked like we went to the office/restaurant to see if we could get one of the motel rooms instead...they didn't have anything that the 4 of us could stay in so I asked to have my money refunded for the second night. I was directed to "Giorgio" the drunken owner who didn't even ask what the problem was...instead outright refused to refund my $110 for the second night. He was belligerent, right in my face with his drunken breath reiterating their 3-week cancellation policy (which is posted on their website....but I only booked a week before we arrived anyway....). We felt taken...I then asked to have the garbage in the tent cleaned up. George proceeded to cut us off in his truck and again verbally accosted my wife and I in front of our children...At this point I felt unsafe spending any more time here. We packed our things up and asked for a full refund...he called us every name in the book in front of a restaurant full of people and said still refused to refund our money....although he asked us to get off his property at once....at this point it was the only option we had.

Needless to say this ordeal was completely unexpected... the only solace I have is knowing that this review may help others avoid making the same mistake we did.

Stay away from Ruby Lake Resort ...especially if the owner has been drinking!!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
12  Thank foresthydro
Reviewed July 10, 2009

We have just returned from ruby lake resort and as is every year we had a wonderful time! We always rent cabin #10 and always arrive to smiling faces from the staff. our jobs are high stress and this seems to be the only place that we can turn our brain off and relax. the food is absolutely wonderful! accomodations are great, our privacy is always respected! The owners are wonderful people, I always manage to learn something new from Aldo when it concerns his passion for birds, Georgio alway takes the time to see us and treats us like old friends. we like th fact that this place is a little out of the way so we can kick back, quiet is a must , and it is quiet! scenery is spectacular. Maderia park is just down the road and Sky copper cafe boast the best muffins in the province! all in all I think we will retire here! Until then, see you next year!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple