“I can't wait to go back.”

Painted Boat Resort
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Madeira Park
Fort Langley, Canada
“I can't wait to go back.”
Reviewed August 3, 2010

The previous reviews pretty much summed it all up but here is my spin. I had not desired to spend so much money but I booked at the last moment and took what I could get. I was not disappointed! I told my kids (aged 11 and 13) that they need to work hard so that they can enjoy such luxury when they grow up.

I got a two bedroom deluxe with loft. Downstairs was a massive room with kitchen, seating area for eating, and living room with beautiful views from front and side. There was a spacious entrance way, bathroom with shower and two bedrooms. Bedroom one overlooked the pool. Unfortunately the pool waterfall was quite noisy when the windows were open. The other bedroom was the master. It was spacious and had a huge ensuite with big soaker tub, lots of counter space and sink, and separate toilet and shower (both apart not together!).

Upstairs was a lovely loft with desk, TV, sitting area and sofa bed which made a very comfortable bed with lots of linens provided. The view from the loft was down to the whole livingroom and there was a balcony as well.

The rooms came with everything we needed including fresh cream for the coffee. Interestingly none of the suites have air conditioning. Being August we panicked a bit but followed the instructions in the guide book to the resort and kept it cool the whole time.

We used the pool and hot tub. Very nice and you couldn't beat the view. We had a breakfast package brought to the room when we arrived. It had freshly baked bread and toppings, goat cheese, smoked salmon, yogourt, juice, grapes, granola and milk. Yummy. We had lunch at the restaurant and ordered dinner which we ate in our room. (no room service but a quick walk and we got it ourselves)

Service was great. I read the review about the manager complaining about noisy patrons. Interestingly the first thing that I read in the guidebook in the room was the hotel act which mentions the managers responsibility to keep things quiet for the guests. Since I noticed that sounds did travel easily on the site, I was actually happy to know that my children and I would not be bothered by excessive noise at night.

My kids and I loved our stay. I can't wait to book it again so my husband can take the kids up again. They do not take pets so someone has to stay home to pet sit while the other pampers themself!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2010

We chose to visit the Sunshine Coast on a whim at the end of a three week trip to BC (Tofino, Okanagan, Vancouver, Whistler) and this was my favourite stop. We had a two bedroom corner unit (number 11) that had the most amazing views of the water and coast mountains and hills. Facing directly west, the sunsets were incredible. The place was spotless and massive (around 1700 sqft!) and all windows. There was a wildflower garden next to the unit and we were visited a number of times by deer grazing. The resort has well-equipped kayaks you can rent at very reasonable rates and I enjoyed an evening sunset paddle in completely calm water. There's a salt-water infinity pool and exercise room and while I wished the pool was larger, it was well shaped to handle both families with kids and couples. The kitchen is full size with everything we could think of needing and a great BBQ as well. There's a gas fireplace and while I love a wood burning one, this was nice and cozy in the late evenings. There was a massive patio around the unit with room for two deck chairs, a four person patio set and a two person patio set. It had a walkout from the living room but also from the master bedroom. And there was a massive bathtub in the master ensuite from which I watched the sun set. The resort boasts a great marina but as a landlubber, I didn't use the facility although there were plenty of large boats docked while we were there.

I also visited their spa and felt it was the best spa experience I'd ever had overall. There is a massaging waterfall in the hot plunge pool and a cool plunge pool in this secret garden, a lovely lounge, a private steam shower room with free clay masks and lovely treatment rooms. I had the hot and cold stone massage which was incredible and a great deluxe manicure. The personal touches at the spa put this place over the top and I think everyone there felt they were being treated as a special guest which makes a huge change. Overall this was a great place to stay for a few days of relaxation and great scenery while providing something for everyone in my family.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Austin TX
Reviewed November 2, 2009

A completely new facility (2007/2008), huge units, very well furnished, with impressive views of the sleepy (in late September) waterfront; nice pool, restaurant, and, despite it's size, it has a great feel to it. While at first it seems like a larger resort (and, well, it is compared to the older properties along this wonderful, rugged coastline), it's still well-situated on a larger property and doesn't feel crowded or over-imposing. And while you might want a smaller, quaint, traditional inn to fully experience the feel of the area, you don't loose it completely here. The property is built on (and by the owners of) an older resort and they strive to remember their history while offering an upscale resort with up-to-date, modern facilities. I found it to be well-designed, comfortable, spacious, and nice for a family or group (but a couple would enjoy it as well).

It was quiet and peaceful when we were here, but given the late season, the property was fairly vacant - it would have a more bustling feel in full season.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
Abbotsford, BC
Reviewed September 29, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Painted Boat in late August with another couple. We love Pender Harbour (not to be confused with Pender ISLAND) and go there a lot, but this was our first time staying at this resort. It was perfect for what we wanted...a beautiful location, not too far from Vancouver, gorgeous facility with two beautiful bedrooms and bathrooms, a deck with barbeque, pool and hot tub. All the things we needed for a relaxing getaway!
My only complaint was the service. I didn't find the check-in/out staff terribly friendly, and when I called the first evening to ask for another couple of robes, I was told that their policy was to only provide two robes to the room. When you are paying $300.00 plus per night, surely they could have spared a couple more robes.
Other than that, we loved it and would do it again. We did not eat in the restaurant, but had all our meals in the room as my friend and I love to cook. You can walk down to the dock in Madeira Park and buy live crab (which they clean for you) and prawns. We had a seafood feast one night! fantastic time!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 21, 2009

Our family visited in August to attend a wedding and I was very impressed with the resort. I really liked the overall style of the buildings and the suites themselves.

Our suite had everything you'd need to be comfortable including our own deck and BBQ! It was clean, comfortable, and the views of the ocean and marina were spectacular.

The pool/hot tub were on the small side, but very nice with a great view of the marina. FREE Internet (wired yes/wireless not sure).

This is the nicest hotel I've stayed at on the sunshine coast. Unless you're wanting a B&B or run-of-the-mill motor inn/motel, this would be the place to stay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
port alice
Reviewed September 17, 2009

I recently stayed for two nights at the painted boat resort to attend my sister's wedding....Upon arrival, I was pleased as it looked very beautiful. My spouse and I, and the couple we were rooming with, were making our way back to our room at about 11:00pm, after a visit with the bride and groom to be when we ran into one of the managers. She told us to keep our voices down as there were paying customers who didn't want to be disturbed!!! Like, were aren't paying customers? we weren't even being loud! Then the next morning, the day of the wedding, we were yelled at by a man, (likely a manager) for setting up the reception room too early!!! He was being a total jerk, and it really upset my cousin and I.
Later in the evening, maybe around 9:00pm, this same man came down to the reception area where we were having a lovely time and told the father of the bride if we didn't tell the DJto turn off the music he was shutting us down!!! I KNOW!!! like, say hello to my sister, the bride on the most important day of her life!!!!!!!!!!!
In my opinion, and in the opinion of all 40 of my family that stayed with the painted boat, all agree that it was WAYYY over priced and not a very warm place to chill with your family or friends.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
9 Thank jeffrson
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed July 8, 2009

This is a luxury resort and spa set in gorgeous Pender Harbour area of Madeira Park. Everything you can imagine or need is available in the suites. The amenities are wonderful, the views spectacular, the staff outstanding. I highly recommend this as a beautiful and relaxing location. Also great for friend weekends, or fishing weekends, event reception, weddings, family reunion.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Rockwater Secret Cove Resort
#1 of 1 in Halfmoon Bay
Backeddy Resort & Marina
Pender Harbour Resort & Marina

Been to Painted Boat Resort? Share your experiences!