“Terrible experience!”

Scenic Riverside Resort
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We booked an Amsterdam room directly with the resort and well in advance (in May 2012) for 4 nights, because of the good reviews. I only wish, I could see the latest review (from August 2012) before we went on our trip in January 2013. We also had similar experience – the only thing we could think of after our arrival was – how to get out of there. The resort looked rather deserted. The owner asked us what we would like for breakfast, because he had to buy it, he said. It sounded rather strange. The worst came when we saw our ‘villa’.
It was full of clatter - teddy bears, dolls and many unnecessary items...the bathroom looked dirty, the water from the tap was coming sparingly, when we wanted to wash our hands, there was a special instruction what to do to make the shower work. The bedding looked worn out, we didn’t touch the beds.
The room was infested with ants. I suffered a few bites from them when we frantically were searching the Internet looking for any accommodation in Kamphaeng Phet. The wi-fi worked perfectly and in less than 20 minutes we managed to book a decent two star hotel in Kamphaeng Phet for less then half the price we paid for 4 nights in Scenic Riverside Resort. Being at the mercy of the owner to call us a taxi to town, we didn’t ask for the refund. We simply wanted to leave and forget about this terrible experience.

Room Tip: Do not go there!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Wieslawa0451
There are newer reviews for Scenic Riverside Resort

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I booked a "Matterhorn" Villa for 2 nights directly with this resort as they are no other websites offering it. I had to pay the room rate (3500,- THB per night 7 total 7000,- THB) up front. That was a big mistake. When we (family of 4) arrived at the Resort we felt instantly ripped off. I couldn`t believe in what kind of state this resort was. The supposed to be garden area was rotten. I think that there was no maintenance at all for a very long time. The so called "Villas" looked dirty from the outside (no paint job for a very long time) and had been full of dust in the inside. Also full with "kitch" items, which were not cleaned for a long time.

The "River Terrace" had a hanging sitting area made of iron. Very rusty and very dangerous. The only positive was the swimming pool, as the water was clean. They offer free internet which is also working quite well. I know it because I used it immediately when I got into the room to book a different hotel. I left this Resort after 10 minutes with my family as nobody wanted to stay there. Seriously we wouldn`t have stayed there for free !

We were the only guests in this very small Resort (about 7 "Villas") and there was only 1 younger Lady which was polite and spoke a little bit english. She was just an employee I guess and couldn`t answer my question about a refund of my money. Needless to say that I never got my money back...

The pictures on their official website must have been pictures from the opening a very very long time ago. I was also surprised about the positive reviews for this resort on Tripadvisor so far, although some are almost 3 years old. Unfortunately I booked this Resort because of the positive Reviews. There is something fishy about it...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Thailife
Reviewed December 29, 2011

If you plan a stop in Kamphaeng Phet you should choose this place.
It is located directly near the ping river, with a wonderful view.
It was one of the best places I have ever visited in Thailand. The rooms are very spacey, absolutely clean. Every room is in a different still and has a good home-cinema. You also have a free WIFI there.
The host is a very nice guy and speaks perfect English. He also has a nice and clean swimming pool near to the river. If you want, you also can rent bikes for free.

The next time when I am in Kamphaeng Phet I definitely will stay here again

Room Tip: every room there is beautiful
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mat M
Reviewed March 31, 2010

This is a very unique resort for Thailand. The large individual bungalows appear to have been transplanted from Crete. The setting is park like, right on the river. The rooms are very spacious, each individual in style and theme. Lots of decorative touches, very kitsch, but fun. Rooms have a great home theater and use of over 200 GOOD DVD's free. There's a swimming pool too.

It's very, very different from what you usually find here in Thailand.The eccentric owner was educated in America and speaks excellent English. It's very much worth the splurge. It's a bit more costly than some hotels, but you get much more than you pay for. You can have a free bicycle and go explore the nearby historical park, which is very interesting, not overly restored and you are likely to be free of the distraction of other tourists.

Though we do not usually travel in this price range I am very happy we stayed here. Be sure to call ahead and ask about promotions.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank falangsabai
Reviewed October 20, 2009

I would love to write a long review and this short one is long overdue. This is a secret gem that you don't really want to reveal to others, but the owner "T" is such a lovely host that you want him to do well, so you feel like you have to tell it like it is. As others have said here is is a magical place, completely unexpected in this out of the way small sleepy town. Also the cook made one of the best deep fried fish with fried garlic ever! I thought we would be able to go back and revisit but life has been too hectic so we hope to get here again within the next year. I hear that the city of Kampaeng Phet is a recommended destination to partake in the beautiful Loy Krathong Festival held all over Thailand in early November. See the Tourism Authority of Thailand for more details about that.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2009

After a long late night so stress out from driving on Thailand highway traffic travelling back to Bangkok prior to return abroad with our business clients. We came along with some sort of small rural with a bizarre town name with uncertain that we all want to stop in or not, or continue on to next larger metropolitan. Unquestionably we did a right decision to stopover to find the place to take a late night rest. Here it was such a unique lodge situating in a distinctive location that easily to reveal from the local people guided to us. With a warm sincerely welcome from a well English spoken the inn keeper to check us in to one of the most astonishing chalet so roomy and convenience for four people to stay in and definitely it far beyond to accommodate more persons but we preferred to charter and have two cottages for the night.

Since the room was so pleasing and clean, and absolutely cozy we all slept in past the check out time, without any hesitation and we all preferred to stay in an extra days to enjoy amenities. We were quite surprising on how nice of the entire complex is presenting in the day light that transport the place in two distinction of amazing charming worlds. We could keep on verbalize on-and-on about the Scenic Riverside Resort as it said noting like live at home-sweet-home, paradise in the heaven can be.

Check it out if opportunity arises, or not…. that is my last words for Scenic Riverside Resort.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 9, 2009

I would recommend for any honeymooner, family or the gang even you travel alone this place is very safty.
Room is very nice , very clena , all equipment are good and style
Not far from Bangkok and you car visit many place around the resort
They provide bicycle with free of charge
Rate is very resonable and service is good..

I have wonderfull time there and would reomend to all travelling friends " Don't Miss... "

• Stayed: July 2009