TripAdvisor
Loiza
Post
Inbox
Search
See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed February 18, 2015

**Highlight of the visit**: Firstly as others reviewers have mentioned, this place located in a dingy mostly rural locality. This is where things got really bad for us. We arrived at the property at about 9PM and were greeted with locked gates, 7-9 foot high compound walls and no buzzer/call bell. Also nobody was picking up the phone at the reception. We spent a good 10-15 mins in the dark (and shady neighbourhood) trying to figure if we were at the right location. After 20 mins in the dark we decided to call the hotels dot com (from where we booked the hotel) customer care and ask for a replacement hotel. They were nice enough to start a hotel relocation process going and thats when I get a call from this hotel saying they were out for a few mins and will be back in 5! We decided to wait and were met with an apologetic staff member who was supposedly out shopping for breakfast. This was a really bad start to our vacation and left a very bad impression. You cannot leave a hotel locked, unattended and leave guests worried in a locality like this. That experience easily shaves 1-2 stars for me

Well apart from that here is my impression of the hotel:

**Room & Bathroom**:
Good: Clean, spacious well decorated. Ample amount of storage. Good bed. Very clean and well furnished bathroom.
Bad: No refrigerator or microwave. Hotel in airline flight path, so will disturb sleep.

**Property**
Pretty good actually, new and clean. Has a good view from the terrace. Great location for breakfast. Its right next to the ocean, no beach though. Has pool on site.

**Location**
Not great. Feels like a unsafe locality. No good restaurants near by. Kind of far from the main San Juan tourist areas.

**Summary**
The hotel staff really needs to get their act together. The property is good and well maintained. But has a few things going against them, bad location, aircraft noise, etc.

Date of stay: February 2015
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roh T
Reviewed February 17, 2015

The hotel really looks like the picture they show us, BUT: we got lost trying to find the place, the locals don't seem to know there's a hotel there, and when we found the place we were really scared; the neighbourhood doesn't look safe at all and looks like it's one of the poorest ones in San Juan. The rooms are clean though, but for some reason there's no glass in the widows (just a mosquito screen) so you really need the loud A/C not only to cool the room but also to cover the sound of the planes taking off just above and the roosters screeching all night long (because they obviously have a disturbed sleep too with those planes waking them up every hour). Unfortunately the manager confirmed to me that the power goes out in this neighbourhood almost everytime it rains, so good luck sleeping!

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank jude802
Reviewed February 8, 2015

I have been an avid traveler for the last 20 years and have been to many hotels/motels and this place is really one of a kind. The lodge is located in a ghetto-like neighborhood, i arrived in Loiza (where this lodge is located in) around 6pm, and was misdirected by the GPS multiple times to a nearby Marina. After 1 hour and asking for directions from random people on the streets, i finally arrived. The inside of the hotel appeared clean but soon after i checked in, the staff disappeared, there was lack of staff on site to help with any questions or requests throughout my stay. I would not recommend going to the nearby restaurant to eat as they seemed shady and not where a tourist should step into, you might end up on the morning news. All was fine until midnight when the electricity went out, so the AC stopped working and the room was extremely humid. the electricity never came back on - even when i checked out of the hotel. after the AC went out, about 2 am, i heard a very very loud noise that seemed to come toward me/room, it felt like something was going to crash into the room, it was an airplane, who would've thought that they fly at 2 am, then 3am then 4 am? so i could not sleep at all over the entire night, on top of that, the roosters that were around the premise (i guess there were 20 roosters, maybe more), would start crowing at 2 am (funny that it coincided with the airplane noise), and once one rooster started crowing, the 20 others followed, and this did not stop until i checked out of the hotel at 9am. on top of all that, i had no water in the morning to take a bath and the slow tiny streams of water was barely enough to wash my face.

so to sum it up, if you would like to stay in a hotel that's located in a ghetto neighborhood, stay in a room without electricity/AC and like the humidity that goes with it, the lack of staff on site to solve any problems that occurs, airplanes that makes loud noises throughout the night, the roosters that sings songs throughout the entire night, and lack of water in the room, then you are at the right place.

Room tip: choose something else, preferably in the condado beach area, more touristy and you would not have to deal with what i had talked about.
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank jing j
Reviewed February 8, 2015

Located in one if not the scariest neighborhood of Puerto Rico, avoid this hotel at all cost. We were there for one night with another couple of friends, and we literally had the worst hotel experience in a lifetime. If you are courageous enough to find this place located between inhabited houses, abandoned cars and trash everywhere on the streets, be warned that the staff cannot speak English and that you will not sleep. Why ? Roosters shouted all night long in an endless competition to reach new decibel levels, on top of planes flying just above our heads about every hour. To make things worse, power outages are frequent (very poor neighborhood unfortunately compromised in this regard) and happened in the middle of the night and was still going on when we happily left the next morning. This means the very noisy air conditioning was no longer cooling the rooms and since the windows have no glass (only a mosquito screen) the hot and humid temperature made a bad experience even worse. Could it be even worse? Yes, in the morning we had no water to take a shower or even wash our hands...
The good thing is that a PuertoRico native at a nice restaurant (far from this hotel) told us the hotel is in a dangerous area and that we should not step out of the car or stop for any reason. This may have saved our lives...
I do not understand how other reviewers can give positive reviews, it makes no sense.
In summary, do not sleep there as it is really not worth the risk.
If you decide to try it, than good luck, lock your door and please do not venture outside at night.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Spyglass007
Reviewed January 13, 2015

I came here with a group for my cousin's wedding. His wife is originally from PR, and we had the entire place booked for the wedding guests. Because of this, we had the entire place to ourselves, so my situation may be unique....

The pros: very clean, beds were very comfortable, pool area/bar was very relaxing, very nice view from the dock. plenty of space for food, drinks, etc, the grill looked pretty new. we supplied our own food, beer, drinks for dinner almost every night. very easy walk to the ocean-side beach/"boardwalk" area with fantastic views. Jorge was there every morning (even on New Year's Day!) with fruit, pastries, and coffee.

The cons: As everyone else has said, it is in the direct take-off flight path for San Juan airport, and since they're still low when they fly over, they are loud. However, I never heard any planes at night (meaning they never woke me up anyways), and it's not exactly what I'd call a busy hub, so I could probably count on one hand the number of fly-overs I heard each day. Roosters in the area make almost constant noise, but again not loud enough to really be a problem. Yes, the air conditioners are a bit louder than you might expect, but was more white noise than anything else, and was probably even part of the reason nothing woke me up. I stayed on the first floor, and the front door is very loud, probably my biggest complaint. Lots of bug bites, some citronella candles might have been nice. Mediocre water pressure, and you had to let it run quite awhile to get hot water, but you did get it. Was told by both Jorge and my cousin's wife that it's not a safe area, and to not go out at night, which was unfortunate because there are a lot of food stands I would have liked to have visited nearby. Not in an easy location for visiting San Juan, so I'd definitely recommend only staying here if you rent a car.

Overall, I enjoyed my time here, and would recommend it as a place for relaxing.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends