“Old world hotel in the most beautiful spot”

Grand Hotel Misurina
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Misurina
Melbourne, Australia
“Old world hotel in the most beautiful spot”
Reviewed May 30, 2011

We recently stayed one night here on our trip across the Dolomites. We had planned to stay at Misurina but didn't realise that most establishments had yet to reopen for the warmer season. We were offered full board at the Grand Hotel for a great price. Our room and provided amenities were of higher end quailty. Dinner was a little chaotic - buffet style with named place settings (but when we arrived for dinner there was no-one to guide us to our allocated seats which we didn't find and so we just sat at an empty table which caused staff great distress). The food was average but the strudel for dessert was great. Breakfast was good but the coffee undrinkable. A packed light lunch was very welcome - tasty, largish and much needed if, like us, you wanted to do a half day hike with not much open to stock up on provisions. Couldn't fault the location nor room, however overall feel is a bit like being involved in a tour group/cruise ship. No problems with the staff who spoke adequate English.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank danstar68

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Brussels
Reviewed August 16, 2010

This is an old glory hotel, which to become a 4 star hotel needs some renovation. Main areas of attention in that respect are the swimming pool and wellness area which need to be made atrractive (now it is not!), and the restaurant. The food is quite ok but does not meet 4 star expectations, the restaurant is overfull giving it some "cantine" feeling. The rooms are old but actually this gives them a nice Italian flavour; the quality of the beds however is poor. Most of the staff was very friendly and the hotel was very clean. The price we paid was less than a benchmark 4 star hotel, so the balance price/quality was good, only the hotel at this stage should not announce itself as a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank BrusselsMarcel
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2010

This hotel is terrible !!!!!!! The staff were rather off hand, the hotel is very big and unwelcoming ( in fact size is the only "Grand" thing about this hotel ). The service in the dining room was very poor and the food that was presented was horrible, It was more like school dinners than a quality hotel. The dinner arrangements were an insult to anyone - and the quality and taste were disgusting. We walked out without eating anything of the main course and very little of the first course. We are widely travelled in Europe and definitely this is not a 4 star hotel, it should not have any stars at all. If you have to stay here have your dinner in Cortina before your arrive. I could not recommend this hotel to any one; if fact I think that it should be removed it from yor listings.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank UK_Traveller049

Travelers are raving about these Misurina hotels

Toronto
Reviewed August 4, 2009

I decided to write a review because I didn't know if anyone else would have. As it turns out, some other reviewers have already covered some of the ground I was going to write about.

The location is great, so this hotel has no excuse for being as bad as it is. It is completely character-less, given its location. The front desk service was unfriendly. The room was simply ok, not great. The "standard" rooms are already expensive, but you have to pay extra for a view of the lake, apparently. We paid 150 euro a night, including dinner and breakfast, whereas we paid 120 a night in the heart of Cortina the previous night. Admittedly, that didn't include dinner, but considering the dinner at the Grand Hotel Misurina, I'd prefer not eating at all.

The food in the restaurant is simply, bad. We didn't have a single bad meal in Italy, until we arrived at this hotel. Even the Autogrill sandwiches were better than what is served here. Many of the dishes were inedible. The "main" course I had was four slices of cold tomato and mozzarella, i.e. a caprese salad, which I could have prepared better in my kitchen in 30 seconds. That being said, it was the only edible thing I found in the dining room. In the morning, I ordered a cappuccino, and it was an instant-coffee drink. I had to beg the waiter to give me a straight, regular espresso. The eggs were also made from a powdered mix. For a four star hotel, truly disappointing.

The worst part was the nickel-and-diming of the hotel. I couldn't believe it, but apparently 150 euros, including dinner, doesn't buy you a single glass of water with your meal. Let's not even discuss wine. I paid 2.50 euro for a bottle of water with my dinner, and in my disgust, ordered the cheapest bottle of wine at 12 euro. I had to fill out a form at my table and sign it, authorizing them to bill me for the drinks. In the morning I had to add the 14.50 to my bill. The whole thing felt cheap. I wonder how one can say that "dinner is included", but not "water with your dinner". For a four star hotel, I felt like this was a real nickel-and-dime operation.

Anyone reading this review, do yourself a favour. Don't stay here. If you need a place to stay, try the Hotel Quinz next door. They have a nice little restaurant with typical regional food. I ate there after the debacle of a meal at the Grand Misurina. I assume from the look of the place that their rooms are decent as well.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Duster11
London
Reviewed June 6, 2009

This is a good hotel in an incredible location.
Room was big and clean. Food was fantastic. Very few minor negatives. Overall very positive experience.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 09mountain_lover
Warsaw
Reviewed January 12, 2008

Service disastrous enough to spoil vacation for even a very patient guest. Despite beautiful location probably the worst vacation I ever had.

Biggest disappointment is the food. In quality only comparable perhaps to a public school cafeteria - some dinner dishes simply unedible, poor selection of food.

Breakfasts served until 09.30 - but no need to rush, they run out of food before 09.00 anyway. It was worthwhile to travel to Italy and find out they serve instant coffee for breakfast. Admittedly only 30 minutes after repeated request to get anything..

"Best" of all... no warm water for more than 2 days. Response from reception: "hey... we hotel is full... what can we do?". Warm water supply was restored only after complaint to the resident of the travel agent and a threat of 2 families to leave the hotel on the 3rd day. Memorable New Years Eve party after 2 days of skiing with no shower...

Hotel and its surrounding poorely managed. Interior noisy, not enough of parking places - "you can park next to the supermaket" (helpful tip from reception). Entrance to the hotel completely blocked by parked cars - entering (not to mention bringin the luggage in) requires acrobatic stunts.

No room service, no concierge service, no luggage assistance. If you arrive with children and usuall luggage and request assistance with luggage you will hear: "there is a trolley - help yourself".

To sum up. Hotel would not earn 4* in most of the countries. Poorely and unprofessionally managed. Food is a disgrace. Avoid the hotel at all cost, especially that it is not cheap.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Terrible service, terrible food
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Deedoh
Volterra
Reviewed August 5, 2006

The rooms are okay, from the balcony you have a nice view, watching sunset over there is amazing. The staff doesn't speak English very well and they are not that friendly.
I didn't sleep well over there, there's too much noise.
Worst breakfast and dinner I've ever had.
Perfect Location to go visit Cortina d'Ampezzo, a nice little city.

F. Cognomi
Italy

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — Breakfast and dinner
  • Tips/Secrets — Choose another hotel
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank F.Cognomi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Misurina
Hotel Sorapiss
#4 of 7 in Misurina
Nord Hotel
Nord Hotel
#38 of 50 in Cortina d'Ampezzo

Been to Grand Hotel Misurina? Share your experiences!