“6th but last visit! Goes downhill every time I visit!”
Review of Aldwark Manor Spa

Aldwark Manor Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Aldwark
More attraction details
Owner description: If you are looking for a relaxing spa break, spa day or spa treatment in North Yorkshire, the team at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel is skilled in the art of relaxation. From a soothing facial to the gentle easing of muscles with an all over body massage, the tranquility and calm encapsulated in our spa will ensure your body and mind are transported to a state of total well being. Our spa, which is home to a fabulous health club, 7 spa treatment rooms, a relaxation room, indoor swimming pool, Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and a dedicated lounge for spa guests, is open seven days a week!
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I have visited aldwark spa about 6 times now and each time it seems to get worse! This last time was so bad I will not return! I went with my husband to celebrate my birthday and there seems to have been lots of changes since our last visit. On arrival we were told they had no towels available for swimming as they had not received the delivery from their laundry company, so I asked if we could have one from the treatment rooms but was told they didn't have any either making me think are they changing towels in between clients yuck! We were told when the towels arrived we would be brought some through to the pool area. There is now a non returnable £5 charge for the use of a robe which is absolutely ludicrous, this means changing from your swimming costume into your clothes to then take them off in the treatment room to put them straight back on after your treatment even though you are covered in oil or products!
Once I headed through to the ladies changing rooms there was not one locker free to put my clothes in so I asked and reception and was rudely told to use the disabled, not good enough as it is not private and the door was wide open. Once we went through to the pool area we were gobsmacked at how many other guests were there I counted 18 others excluding ourselves, there wasn't even enough room to swim (not helped by the stupid lane for swimming lessons!) there were a group of 6 girls in and they sat in the jacuzzi the whole 1 hour 30 minutes we were in there so we didn't even get to use it! The whole place is extremely dirty, mould, rust, tiles missing!

We had booked lunch and by the time we were due to have this we still had not been brought any towels, so my husband had to go dripping to the reception and ask AGAIN and was rudely handed 2 towels that I'm sure weren't even clean! We also had treatments booked but by this point we were so angry and disappointed that we asked for a full refund and promptly left!

It's quite clear that they are booking in more people than they can deal with, making it an unpleasant experience for everyone! I myself work in a spa within a hotel and feel sorry for the staff there at aldwark manor spa as I would be embarrassed to be associated with such a poorly run establishment. I will never return and I tell my friends/family/clients to spend their money elsewhere!

4  Thank Happydrogieyorkie

Reviewed September 27, 2013

enjoyed the whole stay & the golf & the servicein the golf shop & super golf course.will return in the future

1  Thank accy
Reviewed September 20, 2013

My husband and I were disappointed with both the venue and staff attitude. We have booked a spa day through Spa Breaks before, coincidently at another Q Hotel, Tankersley Manor. Our experience there was far better than at Aldwark Manor.

On arrival, we were at first ignored by approximately 3-4 reception/kitchen/gym/spa staff. Eventually we got a rather frosty reception from one of the girls who failed to introduce herself. She pushed a couple of forms at us and did not inform us about any of the facilities or what to expect from the day, including no information about lunch or where to go for the spa and our treatments.

After asking, we were given a very basic lunch menu with limited options. After inspection of the 'normal' spa menu, we quickly realised we had indeed been given the 'low rate' options. Our starters (the smoked salmon), I thought, was actually quite good. However, we were unable to eat our main course (the cajun chicken). We have ever sent anything back in a restaurant before. Even if something just isn't to our taste, one of us will normally eat it. The chicken main course was inedible. Both the chicken and the salad it came with looked like they had seen better days and the chicken had almost certainly been re-heated and was completely tasteless.

When we got to the pool, it became obvious the theme of "had seen better days" also applied here. Paint was bubbling and peeling off the walls and metal beams were rusting. The windows and hand rails were filthy, as were the showers in the ladies changing rooms. What with the children screaming and splashing in the pool, the slamming of changing room doors and the grass strimmer outside, this was anything but a relaxing experience.

We both enjoyed our full body massages, and the beauty and relaxation rooms were beautiful. However, again, both beauticians failed to introduce themselves to either of us, which I find quite unfriendly.

I sent this feedback to the Q Hotel management who promised to investigate and get back to me within 28 days. After a couple of months I had still not received a response, so I emailed her again to ask for feedback. She said the hotel sent their apologies and there was nothing else they were willing to do to compensate for our poor experience. All I can say is they obviously don't realise what damage poor customer service and poor reviews can do!

I think it is safe to say I will not be returning to Aldwark Manor, or any Q Hotel for that matter, any time soon!

4  Thank gusandcoco
Reviewed September 6, 2013 via mobile

I decided to treat my husband as he has been unwell and received radiotherapy earlier this year. We bought a voucher from living social £11 for spa day pass for 2 with coffee and Danish pastry and 20% off treatments. As we entered the Spa it looked ok were greeted at the desk and promptly asked for payment of £48 for dual back neck and shoulder massage which we had provisionally booked and were told over the phone it would be £30 with 20% off £26 so still not sure why we got charged that?!! The girl on reception was pleasant enough asked us to take a seat and complete health questionnaire. 5 mins later 2 young girls came over and told us the dual room was not available and it would hopefully be free in half an hour so we decided to have our coffee and Danish pastry. My husbands coffee was ok but he felt rushed my tea was quite weak and the Danish was a mouthful size which was dissapointing. After half an hour the girls approached us again and told us the room still wasn't available and we would have to go in seperate rooms. I explained he had been quite poorly and we had chosen dual treatment for a reason but they didn't have any other solution. So we had to go separately. I was told just to undress my top half and loosen my jeans. My jeans felt uncomfortable through out the treatment. Massage was ok but didn't relax properly due to worrying if hubby was ok. Afterwards the sweet young girl brought me a glass of water however it was warm and not very nice to drink. Afterwards we were shown up to a 'relaxation room' umm not really sure what to think of it don't know what feel they were going for with the decor but was dark and dingy and we felt a little uncomfortable. We decided to go for a swim had to ask for towels and where we should go as weren't given a tour on arrival. We got changed lockers were bit dodgey and floor dirty. The pool was freezing not many people in it they had the right idea. Small steam room and sauna not bad. The Jacuzzi was out of order!!!!! Decided to come home at 1pm after only being there 2 hours. Very dissapointing visit. Has huge potential just needs better management of staff, maintenance and improvement of facilities. Won't be returning sadly!

4  Thank Becky504
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Returned to Aldwark Spa after being previously and after purchasing another Living Social voucher. Compared to previous visits, highly disappointed.
On arrival there wasn't a very professional approach and was basically just asked for payment. Luckily we had been before as weren't offered a tour (compared to when we first visited a year or so ago- much has changed, in a negative way, since then). The changing rooms weren't too bad, but by the end of the day they were well overdue a clean, at least a mop of the floor. The lockers are still terrible. Dirty, no numbers on many of them, the locks are tempremental and had to try find one that worked. The pool/sauna/steam room/jacuzzi themselves were ok, if not a little busy for the size of the place. We then went for lunch before our treatments. It took just over an hour for a sandwich, bowl of chips and portion of noodle soup to arrive! You could tell that the chips and noodles had been sat for a while in the kitchen as they'd gone cold and limp. They made us some more but no real apology or offer of a free drink to make up the stupidly long wait for underquality food - especially for the amount you pay. Was about £18 for those three dishes! There were also a ridiculous number of houseflies! We had to cover everything with tissue and couldn't relax as was constantly shooing flies away from us. Even when we went to sit in the lounge area to 'relax' there were flies over the chairs and crawling over the previous guests cups/milk jug etc and they were not cleared away until we'd ask them to. Had been there about 2 hours!! My parents enjoyed their treatments, but I was not impressed with mine either. I had a massage which isn't cheap (£50) and it was if the therapist was just going through the motions to get it over and done with so it was nearer home time!
We were not at all impressed and unfortunately will not be going back to the spa.

3  Thank MelissaTSL