“Spa Break - Jan 2014”

Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aldwark
Reviewed January 20, 2014

After a difficult couple of months, we decided that we'd take advantage of the generosity of loved ones and book ourselves into Aldwark Manor for the night, taking advantage of the January spa break offer.
I'd been to Aldwark Manor before, but only to a wedding reception - so was really keen to spend the night there and take advantage of the facilities. We arrived early on Saturday morning and headed for the spa & fitness suite. We enjoyed a complimentary drink while we completed our paperwork, then headed off the the fitness suite. Soon we headed to the pool area where we really started to unwind and relax, taking advantage of the jacuzzi until lunchtime.
The buffet lunch which was included in the package was very nice, a salad bar, jacket potatoes, beans, chilli and a host of desserts - we filled up before heading back to the spa for more jacuzzi, steam room and swimming. Our treatments were at 4pm (upgrade to full body massage) - in the couples oom, looked after very professionally by the girls - very relaxing to the point of a gentle snooze!
Now it was time to check it, we headed up to the 4th floor to our lovely, very spacious room with fantasticly comfortable double bed! After a quick change we headed downstairs for a quick drink before tea.
The prices were certainly very respectable, £3.85 for a pint of Carlsberg, £5 for a glass of prosecco - a few of those indeed got the appetite going for our meal.
As part of the package we had £26 to spend on anything from the menu - I went for the rabbit & ham hock turnover, then the mullet with pasta, my other half opted for the salmon then the duo of chicken with additional veg. In all honesty, the food was amazing, especially given the prices and the deal.
Finally we had another drink before retiring to that beautifully comfortable bed.
All in all, a very pleasant weekend at a lovely vebue with the most helpful and kind staff members.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor, very quiet and very peaceful!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul B, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Dear Matty F

I was pleased to read your recent review following your Spa Break at Aldwark Manor, Golf and Spa.

The spa package that we offer is great value and I see that you managed to use all the facilities at the hotel including the Bar!

I will be passing your great comments on to the team who I am sure will be happy to read them.

I hope we get the chance to see you again soon and when you are ready to come back please look at the QHotels web site for the latest offers

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

I went to Aldwark Manor this weekend on a spa break with my friend. We have done spa breaks several times and unfortunately we didn't feel that the deal matched up to other venues we've been to. The actual hotel and restaurant were pretty good to be honest. All the meals were good and the restaurant staff, especially Dean were fab! So friendly and courteous and couldn't do enough for us. So no complaints there at all. The problem, as most people have said before, is the spa. I believe that someone at head office has thought to themselves ' we aren't getting enough business from weddings and golf, let's market ourselves as a spa break venue'! Unfortunately without investing in the facilities or staff in that area. As mentioned many times, my friend and I arrived at the spa area. No one welcomed us despite 3 or 4 young girls hanging around chatting. Eventually a nice young lad said hello and we said what do we do? He asked us what time was our treatment and we said we were hoping you'd tell us that! We got given some towels and robes and went into changing rooms. There wasn't a single locker free, it was the tiniest, messiest changing room I've ever seen. Girls hanging around waiting for a locker to come free, towels all over the floor! Eventually we got 1 locker between us but not much use when you've got all your stuff cos the bedroom isn't ready yet! There was only one toilet working for the whole spa which was filthy and had no toilet roll. When I went outside to tell the aforementioned girls on the front desk, one of them just rolled their eyes at me! Whilst the swimming pool was nice, half the pool was roped off for toddler swimming lessons and the rest of the pool was full of canoodling teenagers so it was impossible to do any lengths. If you market yourself as a relaxing spa venue, I don't believe there should be young children in the pool. There were only 5 loungers at poolside so there was nowhere to lay out and read or anything. Again that is not 'spa' like.

Finally the actual massage was pretty good but the relaxation room they take you to at the end of your treatment was freezing, no music playing and was littered with old glasses of water that people had left. I counted at least 20 dirty glasses. So not at all relaxing!

In summary, the hotel and restaurant is 4 star but the spa facilities are 2 star at best. You get better changing rooms in a council run pool!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Hessers

Dear Hessers

I was disappointed to read your feedback on your recent visit to Aldwark Manor, I can assure you that I have taken your comments on board regarding the changing rooms, the relaxation area and the team and I will discuss these with both the Leisure Club Manager and the Group Managers.

The pool side area has limited space for loungers and we work with a local babies swimming club for 1 hour on a Thursday morning.

I will pass on your great comments to the Head Chef and Dean regarding your dinner in the restaurant.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Had a really wonderful two day break over the new year 2013 at Aldwark Manor, gala dinner was amazing. The evening ended with an excellent firework display.
The staff are friendly and provide an excellent service , friendly atmosphere.
A great dining experience, food is presented to a very high standard.
Rooms are very well appointed, and clean.
Has a good challenging golf course golf buggies are available if needed, the spa facilities are excellent, should try the massage therapies. Has a well appointed gym.
Lots of things to do in the area, York is very close.

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Phillip T

Dear Phillip T

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Aldwark Manor, Golf and Spa Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the New Year celebrations and that you found time to use all the facilities including the gym, the golf course and the Spa.

I hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back to Aldwark Manor in the near future.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Me and my girlfriend (now fiancee!) stayed here for 2 nights through New Year - we attended the big New Year party... where I proposed (she said yes!). The place is great, but my main praise goes to all the staff who helped me to organise it. Through the pre-planning, the organisation on the night, to our complimentary champagne (evening and breakfast!) it went perfectly. Everyone was very friendly and concerned that it went well. We've stayed before and will definitely come back. Thanks for making the stay so special and memorable. Jonathan.

1  Thank Jonny B

Dear Jonny B

I am pleased that you decided to choose Aldwark Manor to propose and we were happy to be help you plan it and then to be part of the celebrations when she said yes!

May I take this opportunity to wish you both congratulations again and I hope we get to see you both in the near future,

Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Stayed overnight with mum and sister for a girly spa break. At £99 the price was amazing and included a light lunch and 60min spa treatments which we all really enjoyed. Evening meal, with the exception of my starter was very well presented and tasty and there were quite a few vegetarian options for my sister. Overall very happy. With a bit of diy the spa could be even better. All staff were very attentive and friendly - well done Aldwark!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Trotterking
Paul B, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Trotterking

Following on from your Fab Spa, Dinner bed and breakfast deal with us can I thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I will pass on your positive comments to the team and when you are ready for your next visit please look at the QHotels web site where you will get the best deals.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I booked 2 rooms and the central booking team and the hotel helped me choose the right room for us, although the hotel had more of the details I wanted. The Manor was easy to find, beware there is a 40p toll bridge near the village. The manor was very impressive from the outside and we were not disappointed on walking into the entrance hall. Check in was efficient although I had to remind them about the complimentary newspaper for one of the rooms.
A few things were not quite right with the visit but did not detract too much from the overall weekend. The staff were very responsive and polite every time, despite talking to them many times about problems we had.
We had rooms 210 and 208 - 208 was a beautiful side facing room with a gorgeous bay window and plenty of seating to relax with our friends when we had a nightcap before bed. The radiators in the room were not working but we got a heater within minutes of reporting this. The hotel was very peaceful and the public rooms were all extremely comfortable and well decorated, as well as little seating areas all over the manor.
The spa are was relaxing and the spa treatments were adequate, as most often happens, I didn't feel I got my full hands on time - the 25 minute appointment is from getting in the room and leaving, not the length of treatment, I would say my massages lasted about 15 minutes. The pool was very pleasant, perfect temperature for me, no sharp intake of breath when getting in!
We booked a dinner bed and breakfast package and ate in the restaurant. It was well appointed, decorated in a contemporary style and not like the other public rooms in the manor. The staff were very pleasant but we were not impressed with the food and/or price. The steak we had on the first night was beautifully cooked but I thought expensive. Most vegetables have to be ordered separately and these were also on the expensive side. I sent the eaton mess back as it was mostly strawberry icecream, not an ingredient I am familiar with, this was not charged for. Dinner on the second night was a let down, side orders did not come with the meal and when they did come the beans came without advertised bacon and leeks. it was far to late into the meal to reorder. The plaice was dry and small. We did give feedback at the restaurant and they were very apologetic. Breakfast had a good variety of good quality food and was as good as I have had in most places. it appears there is a bar menu on offer and we wish we had not booked DB&B and gone for that instead.
We didn't get either paper on Saturday and only one was delivered on Sunday morning, although a member of staff went out to get the missing one. Not sure what happened, I was shown the order and delivery report for the papers, mine just wasn't at the door.
On the website the upgraded rooms boast lots of lovely toiletries in the room, in reality these are shampoo, conditioner, shower gel and soap but of an upgraded quality. I was expecting more as often we have cotton buds, shower cap, makeup remover pads etc in other hotels. The fantastic hospitality tray seemed to offer the average choice. The drinks package was small bottles of still and sparkling water, wine, coke and beer - one of each and refilled each day.
If it hadn't been for the little niggles and restaurant meal, this review would have been very good or excellent. However I do stress that at all times, the staff were very polite, apologetic and quick to remedy the problems we had. We were offered a small discount as compensation which was a nice touch as I believe it showed we were perhaps unlucky with our stay and it is not the normal service. In summary, beautiful, comfortable, peaceful hotel and surroundings, not near hustle and bustle which is why we booked it. Well worth an explore around the manor to see the views and décor.

Room Tip: we booked a feature double bedroom 208 which did not disappoint. it was very roomy, trees outside th...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank kevdeb25th

Dear kevdeb25th
Thank you for your review on your recent stay at Aldwark Manor. I was disappointed to read some of your feedback and for this I apologise. I can assure you that I have taken you comments on board and I am pleased to hear that the team dealt with your issues during your stay.
I have discussed your comments with the head chef regarding the quality of the food. Especially during dinner on the second night and he sends his apologies for this.
I will discuss your feedback regarding the upgraded toiletries with the housekeeper and our group operations team.
I apologies for the little niggles that you had and once again thank you for bringing them to my attention.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We have just spent two nights here and loved it. The staff were extremely happy and helpful and the card and chocolates were a lovely touch for Amy - 30th birthday being the reason for our break. It is a way out from York but served as a good base for our travels. We were very pleased with the room, the breakfast and the general state of the hotel.
Gladly stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul B, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Andy N

I am pleased that we helped your to celebrate Amy’s birthday recently at Aldwark Manor.

We are just a 25 minute drive to York and yes we are in a location to travel and visit the surrounding areas.

I hope we get to see you soon,

Paul Beswick

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldwark
The Grand Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Boroughbridge
Rudding Park Hotel
Rudding Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Follifoot

Been to Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!