“GOOD VALUE BUT BUSY.”

Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aldwark
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Paid for one nights dinner, bed and breakfast - excellent value for money.
Requested a room in the older part of the Manor as I've never stayed there before. Due to 53 of the 54 rooms being full I received a free upgrade to a lovely, large room with good views of the golf course.
Evening meal was lovely, wine maybe bit expensive but to be expected.
We usually stay mid week when it's quieter, but being a Friday there was a lot of people in the pool and spa in the afternoon, which spoiled it a little. Also the breakfast ordered in the room in the morning for between 9.00 - 9.30 didn't arrive till 09.50.

Room Tip: Room 201, large, 4 poster, good views - but may be expensive.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Aldwarkmanor, Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2013

Dear JustHJohnson

Reading your review I was glad that we managed to upgrade you during your recent stay and that you liked the Manor rooms.
The hotel is quieter mid week and a great time to relax and unwind. I apologise for your room service breakfast being late.

As you are regular visitors to Aldwark Manor I am sure that I will see you soon.

Paul Beswick

Write a ReviewReviews (1,887)

Reviewed November 16, 2013

A few friends and myself enjoyed a meal in the restaurant on the 14th November. I have to say without any shadow of doubt the food was out of this world. I had the Jack Daniels Smoked Pork Ribs and my friends had Duo of Chicken and Braised Shin of Beef. All were cooked to perfection and the presention of the meals was excellent. Compliments to the Chef who I believe is called Matt. With regards to the Restaurant staff they were very polite and attended to all our needs. Thanks to Rob, Jess and Marcus. Not forgetting the barman in the Squadron bar Daniel who was very efficient. My friends and I will not hesitate to book a meal here again in the future.

Graham

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Paul B, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Dear Graham L

Thank you for your kind review regarding your recent visit to Aldwark and your experience in the restaurant.

I am sure that Matt the Head Chef will be pleased to hear your comments regarding his Ribs and his superb food and the service team following on from the attentive service they gave.

I do hope we get to see you soon at Aldwark Manor

Reviewed November 15, 2013

We are a couple and stayed at Aldwark Manor on the 10th & 11th of November. There is very little we can say on a negative on this hotel!
Beautiful grounds and spa facilities. We enjoyed different treatments during our stay and we can both say that there are no complaints from either of us at all.
The restaurant is to die for, we have dined in very good premises before but this was undoubtedly up there with the best we have tasted (compliments to all the team in the restaurant).
We had been given an upgrade when we arrived and we can only praise the hotel for this. We were in room 101 and it was perfect. I suffer with a sleep problem but yet had a fantastic nights sleep so it says a lot for the quality of the bed.
A ever so slight negative on the whole place is we could tell that it is end of the season in the leisure facilities area, it is looking serious and a deep clean would help certain things but this was not a massive problem.
Would we visit again? Unreservedly yes and we will be regular visitors and have/are recommending friends a family. Thank you for all you help, hospitality ans enjoyable experience.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Dear Trev T

I am please to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you liked our Qstar rooms and that you had a good nights sleep.

We have some great grounds and spectacular views around the hotel and I am glad you got the chance to see these. I will pass on your positive comments to the restaurant and kitchen team and I am sure they will pleased to hear them.

I hope that I get the chance to meet with you on your next visit

Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed for 3 night from 11th November the staff were 1st class. We must mention Rachael on reception Katie and Markus in the restaurant, and the chefs. The 13tn November we had a glass of champagne and the chef put happy birthday on the ice cream the wife had for desert.
the food was 1st class and so was the service.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Adrian H,

I am pleased that we helped you celebrate your wife’s birthday and it’s the little things that we can do that make the difference. I will speak to Katie, Marcus and Rachael personally and pass on your comments.

Maybe see you for your next birthday?

Reviewed November 15, 2013

This hotel is located in the perfect place for visits to York, the Dales and the Yorkshire Coast. I have stayed in this hotel on four occasion now and I can safely say that have had a very warm welcome on arrival. On my other visits I have stayed in both the main building and the new addition, all room are clean and have good facilities. The gym and pool staff are very helpful and friendly, all the equipment is maintained and cleaned to a high standard.
The food at the hotel is superb and the breakfast selection leaves me wanting to eat it all.

One of the best hotels I look forwards to booking and staying in...

I have never had a bad stay here ...

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Dear Andrew4746,

Following on from your review we are in a great location, 20 minutes or so and you can be in York or Harrogate and a little longer for the coast.

As a regular guest I look forward to welcoming you back and next time you are ready to book please visit the QHotels web site for the best available rates.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Large impressive ex officers mess, with an interesting history, now a very comfortable resort hotel.
The original building is very spacious with high ceilings and panelled walls, the tasteful extension includes a spa with all the usual bits and pieces, and a golf club house.
We met friends there for a one night stopover, their room was in the new part and very comfortable and spotless(103) our room was in the original building(205) was enormous with king size bed, very clean and with delightful views over the golf course.
Our evening meal was of excellent quality with inspired. presentation ...well done to the Chef.
The staff in the dining room were attentive,
One disappointment...the swimming pool it is one of these with only the centre part more than 3 ft deep, the sides need digging out!!
Overall a most enjoyable stopover and we will return, but next time for 2/3 nights.
Before writing this review I checked for the latest reports and see that a HEN PARTY only gave it one star, they were there on the 11th of November as we were, please do not let there comments put you off, this is a good hotel, providing good service and great food.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the golf course, and book dinner in advance
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Mike T,

Thank you for your positive review. Aldwark Manor is full of history starting from 1865 when the building was started for Lord Walsingham.

I was pleased to read that our staff were attentive providing you with a good service and that you enjoyed the food. Your comments are testament to the reason that so many of our guests return. I do hope that we can welcome you back here in the near future

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed November 13, 2013

It was not our first visit to Aldwark and I do love the feel of the building. We stayed in a feature room, paying extra on our golf package. No 4 poster, which I had asked for on booking, but worse was the general lack of attention to details. There was a cobweb in the window, hot drink rings on the table, the carpet was ill fitting, the bathroom door stuck, one of the bedside light fixtures didn't work correctly and the switch floated about the headboard. Our evening meal was served with an inedible shell on grey prawn and hot breakfast buffet was poorly restocked. The frontline staff tried their best and were pleasant but it wasn't great. While we were checking out another couple complained about the cleanliness of their room and at breakfast a family complained at their poor treatment at meal times. It is a shame as this is a place we love to visit. Are qhotels squeezing staffing budget too far? Hope things are sorted soon.

• Stayed: November 2013

Dear dixondl03,

Thank you for taking time to pass on your feedback regarding your recent stay. I was disappointed to hear some of your feedback. I have picked up your comments with the housekeeper and I am positive that on your next visit you will notice the difference. We do try to accommodate room requests but sometimes we can not as room types are so different and we only have limited numbers of some.

As a regular visitor to Aldwark you are aware that this is not our usual standards and I am sure on your next visit you will see the standards and service will be as you remember from your 1st visit,

General manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldwark
The Grand Hotel & Spa
12 mi away
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
11 mi away
York Marriott Hotel

Been to Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!