As a gift for my 55th birthday we spent a night at this hotel with a "3 course dinner included" . We used the spa facilities on arrival which were comprehensive with pool, steam room ,sauna etc. No problems there!
My partner spoke to the hotel by phone earlier in the week and on booking the room had been offered dinner at £26 per head for 3 courses. This was duly accepted and paid for.
On taking our seats at a table in the restaurant at 8pm it was explained that we had a budget of £26 and that any additional cost on the menu would have to be paid for. Fair enough you might say but why "extort" money from us before we arrive because clearly looking at the prices it would be difficult to get 3 courses for this price. My partner expected that the hotel would produce a 3 course meal with possible limited choice and also an a la carte menu. Is this not the norm?
Slightly niggled by this but undaunted we ordered our meal, and a bottle of Pinot Grigio at a cost of £22 which we thought was a bit steep!
The mains ordered were a 10oz rib eye steak and lamb in a mint jus. I was asked how I wanted the steak (rare to medium) and as no prompt was made my partner had to request how her lamb
was cooked (also rare to medium)
The starters were ok but when the mains arrived it was clear no thought was made to how they were cooked. Both were overcooked with the lamb almost cremated. The steak in my opinion was rump and well below 10 oz. The chips were undercooked, raw almost in the middle and soft on the outside. The gravy with the steak was caramelised and burnt . The young man who had brought our food asked us how our meal was. We duly expressed our concerns and were offered another choice. As my partner thought the lamb had potential we both asked for lamb cooked rare to medium. 10 minutes later as quoted by the restaurant manager, 2 plates arrived with lamb that was burnt on the outside and raw on the inside. he told us the plates were hot and to be careful. He was right! The "jus" was that burnt caramelised stuff I had experienced with my steak. There was no hint of mint as described. It was no good and we gave in after a few mouthfuls, expressed our disgust and retired to the bar.
Next morning we asked to speak to the manager. The restaurant manager appeared from the night before and said that after a meeting that morning it was decided a £20 discount each would be made on the bill (the bill that had been paid in advance for 3 courses!).
We requested the manager and a lady arrived after 30 mins , took notes and asked us what we wanted. Had the hotel refunded us the full price of the meal in the first place , then I would have been satisfied but, now really upset and annoyed asked for a full refund for our stay. we have been refunded the cost of the "3 course meal" and await an email with voucher for another nights stay. Whether that includes dinner is yet to be seen.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aldwark Manor Golf and Spa Hotel is located near York. It is nestled in a picturesque village in between York and Harrogate within the stunning North Yorkshire Moors. Even though this gem of a hotel makes you feel a million miles away, it is just a hop, skip and a jump away from the A59. What better way to take in the views than to play the 18 hole golf course? The challenging course is set amidst gorgeous rolling hills. This hotel is a real mix of old and new. With 53 individually designed bedrooms which are split between the modern contemporary wing of the hotel and the traditional Manor house. If you are staying on business then the hotel has 6 conference and meeting rooms for up to 240 people. What's more the superb grounds covering 100 acres are ideal for team building events. Indulge yourself with an array of treatments at the spa or build up a sweat in the leisure club. Finish off the day with a delicious meal in our award-winning Brasserie, or snack on a selection of tasty nibbles whilst overlooking the manicured golf course in either The Terrace or Squadron Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aldwark Manor Hotel Aldwark
- Aldwark Manor York
- Aldwark Manor Hotel York
- Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel Yorkshire