“Went to bed hungry!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aldwark
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Went to bed hungry!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

As a gift for my 55th birthday we spent a night at this hotel with a "3 course dinner included" . We used the spa facilities on arrival which were comprehensive with pool, steam room ,sauna etc. No problems there!
My partner spoke to the hotel by phone earlier in the week and on booking the room had been offered dinner at £26 per head for 3 courses. This was duly accepted and paid for.
On taking our seats at a table in the restaurant at 8pm it was explained that we had a budget of £26 and that any additional cost on the menu would have to be paid for. Fair enough you might say but why "extort" money from us before we arrive because clearly looking at the prices it would be difficult to get 3 courses for this price. My partner expected that the hotel would produce a 3 course meal with possible limited choice and also an a la carte menu. Is this not the norm?
Slightly niggled by this but undaunted we ordered our meal, and a bottle of Pinot Grigio at a cost of £22 which we thought was a bit steep!
The mains ordered were a 10oz rib eye steak and lamb in a mint jus. I was asked how I wanted the steak (rare to medium) and as no prompt was made my partner had to request how her lamb
was cooked (also rare to medium)
The starters were ok but when the mains arrived it was clear no thought was made to how they were cooked. Both were overcooked with the lamb almost cremated. The steak in my opinion was rump and well below 10 oz. The chips were undercooked, raw almost in the middle and soft on the outside. The gravy with the steak was caramelised and burnt . The young man who had brought our food asked us how our meal was. We duly expressed our concerns and were offered another choice. As my partner thought the lamb had potential we both asked for lamb cooked rare to medium. 10 minutes later as quoted by the restaurant manager, 2 plates arrived with lamb that was burnt on the outside and raw on the inside. he told us the plates were hot and to be careful. He was right! The "jus" was that burnt caramelised stuff I had experienced with my steak. There was no hint of mint as described. It was no good and we gave in after a few mouthfuls, expressed our disgust and retired to the bar.
Next morning we asked to speak to the manager. The restaurant manager appeared from the night before and said that after a meeting that morning it was decided a £20 discount each would be made on the bill (the bill that had been paid in advance for 3 courses!).
We requested the manager and a lady arrived after 30 mins , took notes and asked us what we wanted. Had the hotel refunded us the full price of the meal in the first place , then I would have been satisfied but, now really upset and annoyed asked for a full refund for our stay. we have been refunded the cost of the "3 course meal" and await an email with voucher for another nights stay. Whether that includes dinner is yet to be seen.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else?
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank William Peter B
Karen H, Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear Mr Bell,

Thank you for your comments on your departure and now on Trip Advisor.

I am however sorry that you found the restaurant extremely disappointing. After an investigation and by way of explanation only, we have discovered that you were happy with your starters of which you ate, however unhappy with the cooking requirement for your main course of lamb rump and rib eye steak. Please note that our chef's recommend our lamb rump to be pink and we have never had any issues regarding this in the last 6 month the menu has been available. On informing our staff of your displeasure, you were offered a replacement on both dishes. On the arrival of your second two dishes it was noted that you were clearly still unhappy stating the meat was now raw. Every effort was made by our team to correct your dissatisfaction however clearly we were unable to. This resulted in you leaving our restaurant with no dessert and as you have described still 'hungry'.

In reference to your other comments I can assure you that our steaks are rib eye and not rump as you suggested and are weighed by our butcher and again by ourselves. We are not trying to con our guests and therefore I am shocked and disappointed that you are suggesting this.

As stated I did indeed tell you I would email you and remove your food allocation from your bill and that I have done promptly therefore it is highly disheartening that you feel you need to rate us so low and tarnish our reputation. Clearly our restaurant was not what you were looking for and for this I apologise.

Regards
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
Manchester
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We arrived to find out that one of the 3 rooms that we had booked had been given away but were told not to worry they had given us 2 family rooms instead and would not be charged for the 3rd room. I think we were expected to feel grateful that we didn't have to pay for something that we weren't getting!
It soon became very clear that the reception manager did not have the authority to sort the situation out so we asked to speak to a more senior manager ( who never appeared). By this time we had nearly missed our planned spa treatment (despite arriving 2 hours early) so asked the staff to ensure we would not miss these as it was no fault of ours that we had been held up so long at reception. We were then told that the reception manager could not help us with this either. After further delays we eventually were served a very poor lunch in the dirty spa cafe area. Eventually the spa manger arrived to tell us that she had re-arranged our spa apontments and proceeded to place our robes and slippers on the dirty floor next to us.
The treatments themselves were very good but the changing rooms were filthy and the wet plasters scattered around the poolside were very off-putting.
Eventually we were told that they'd found us another room (presumably this was the room the couple we'd met earlier were due to stay in but they had decided to leave after the terrible service they had received). Again the room was not clean.
The restaurant and bar manager was very hepful with dinner that evening and agreed with us that the raw chocloate sponge we were served was not a chocolate fondant and not edible.
I could go on forever with further problems encountered. We tried to contact customer services on the day, we have also emailed but am yet to have the promised phone call. Never again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank rebel77
Karen H, Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

On arrived at the hotel and contrary to you saying the room had been given away, Kasha our reception Manager, explained that the hotel was overbooked. As it happened we had two cancellations on the day and we could offer you two rooms or the second option was that we had made alternative arrangements for you to be accommodated locally if you wanted to be all together . Kasha had also arranged for taxis to take you backward and forward to the hotel so your party could enjoy the Spa facilities here. Your demand for a free stay was unreasonable and Kasha quite rightly said she didn’t have the authorisation to do this. At this point Kasha contacted our General Manager to discuss the situation.

The spa times were then moved slightly due to the delay at check in. Your robes and slippers were not put on the floor as Lynn specifically put them on the table next to them. In respect of the Spa lunch we served lots of lunches that day with no other complaints. The spa was very busy and the changing rooms were full and needed tidying up more frequently, but the Spa is not filthy.

In respect to the guests that chose to leave our hotel I can assure you they did not leave because of terrible service.

This freed up the third room so we offered it immediately to your party so you where able to all now be accommodated.

On check out on the Sunday you were still clearly unhappy. At this point you were all given a substantial discount off you accommodation, spa treatments and dinner. We believed at this point that we had compensated you party adequately and we felt that the issue had been dealt with.

Regards

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Stayed overnight on a 2 day spa break with 7 others. The hotel is beautiful with lots of different sitting rooms to relax in.

Our rooms were comfortable and roomy. However, even with the windows closed (and it was warm so I would have liked them open), all you could hear throughout the night was the drone of an air conditioning unit or something similar outside our window. Hardly slept and would definitely have asked to be moved had we been staying another night. The disabled walk in shower was interesting, no bath. Might have been nice if they had mentioned it and asked if we minded. I think it was Rm 134.

Reception gave us a lovely friendly welcome on arrival. In fact on the whole the staff were absolutely lovely. Garry the barman was great, a lovely sense of humour and really friendly and helpful. The two young male waiters provided great service with a smile and were more than happy to take photos of our group for us. Thank you.

The spa area was lovely. It would have been nice to have some quiet music in the spa lounge to make it feel less like a conservatory and more like a pampering area to relax in. Our gruff greeting on arrival to the spa was "You can't have a coffee because we're having a new machine fitted."!!

My treatments with Candida however were amazing. A fantastic facial followed by reflexology. I could have laid there all day. She had a firm, professional touch and made you feel at ease. Thank you Candida. My french manicure was also nicely done but sadly I can't remember the name of the therapist.

My mother in law's treatment was less pleasant. Her first manicure was still not dry after 3 hours and became smudged. The manager was very apologetic and re-did it. However, it would have been nice if the red varnish had been taken off properly, so that the cream varnish put on was not surrounded by red round the cuticles. She was very disappointed but didn't feel able to complain a second time.

A quick mention about our food. It was ok. Nothing special and not cheap. I've certainly had better at similar hotels.

All in all though we had a great time and despite the odd gripe I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for you constructive feedback. I am sorry that you were unable to gain a good nights sleep due to our extraction. For this I sincerely apologies.

Thank you for you kind comments about our staff we really do pride ourselves on our staff members and delivering exceptional service. Your greeting at our spa reception however shall be addressed as this is not acceptable.

Garry and Candida are delighted that you have commented about them and they thank you for your kind comments.

With regards to your final comment about the spa please could you contact lroach@qhotels.co.uk to rearrange a potential return visit alternatively you can contact me on khowe@qhotels.co.uk.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

booked a spa weekend package and was worth every penny

beautiful hotel, lovely surroundings. the staff made us welcome, eve though a wedding was occurring at the same time

food was good as were the treatments and pool / sauna etc

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback, your break sounds perfect.

All our team at Aldwark Manor are delighted you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Harrogate
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My hubby and I recently stayed at Aldwark Manor as a birthday treat from my employers. When I booked the room and received the paperwork I saw that I could take my little dog along for an extra £15 so I did. I had heard great reviews about the hotel and was quite excited. Unfortunately the room was very tired and quite dusty. The bath was small (4ft) and the grout discoloured, the loo was brown and generally the whole place didn't feel clean. I work for a 5* establishment in Harrogate and know what a good clean is! However, the dinner we had was good and the staff very attentive and pleasant, we were happy to leave a good tip. The breakfast too was very enjoyable with an excellent selection. The grounds are beautiful. I feel that we were given a "doggy" room which is a shame, so bear this in mind if you're thinking of taking your bestfriend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Karen H, Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Further to your visit to Aldwark Manor, please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing experience that you encountered with your bedroom. Rest assured, we do not want any of our guests to leave with a sense of dissatisfaction.

I thank you for your feedback as we value your comments on how we are able to improve our service.

Yours sincerely
henley on thames
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Just got back after spending a day there for a conference ( didn't stay overnight so,no review of accom). Location is superb, lots of gofers, and spa looked like it was dong fairly brisk business for a Monday afternoon. My experience was in the meeting rooms and catering. Furniture was in serious need of replacement - tables and desks must have been 40 years old and in poor repair. Lunchtime buffet was unbelievable. One plate of tuna and mayo which looked like it had been thrown up. Some of the most bizarre combinations of stuff I had ever seen presented,for a lunch - pakoras, coleslaw, tomato and beet root salad, pepper and beetroot salad, beetroot salad, potato salad and tuna gloop. It looked like the sort of thing you might knock together if you hadn't been to the supermarket and were trying to use up the contents of the fridge.

They could be on to a winner with this place - but it needs to be run by a hotelier with passion, not by an accountant.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive comments we will ensure we take all your comments on board.

I have past your comments onto our Head Chef Matt Gabbitas who ensured me that the food presented was to the specification required. With a range of hot food including mini pizza, mini burgers, samosas, mini fishcakes and quiche to accompany the hot items there was a range of salads and sandwiches. Finally a selection of bakewell tarts, lemon tarts and fruit salad where on offer.

We will definitely look into offering a better range of salads in the future.

We thank you for you comments

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The hotel is great if you like a bit of olde-worlde class and comfort. The staff were friendly, courteous and helpful, especially the check-in desk staff and the dinner waiters. The grounds, although mostly given over to a golf course, are beautifully laid out with a variety of old trees and pleasant pathways where you can take a stroll after the golfers have left. Evening dining was very good but it would become boring during an extended stay if the menu were not changed frequently (my usual grouse that vegetables are charged separately). However, the wine list was reasonable and not too expensive given the class of the hotel. The only criticism I have is the cooked breakfast bar which was continually running out of things which meant having to wait with a plate containing some of your meal for the missing item/s.

Room Tip: Room 201 has splendid views over the grounds, a 4-poster bed, easy chairs, a good sized bathroom and...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for such fabulous comments on our hotel. Your weekend sounds almost perfect.

We were sorry to read that you felt you had to wait a long period of time to receive your cooked breakfast. We have shared your comments with our Restaurant & Bars Manager Nick Mitchell who was equally as disappointed that the standards upon which we pride ourselves were not met on this occasion. He has assured me that he will be reconsidering the structure of his team and their service to ensure maximum efficiency to avoid any future re-occurrences.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to your return visit.

Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldwark
Oulton Hall & Spa
The Queens - Leeds
#11 of 87 in Leeds
York Marriott Hotel
Best Western Burn Hall Hotel

Been to Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!