Lovely location, reasonable spa, child friendly and nice food & accommodation. Cost of stay/promotion great, but overly-expensive dining.
A potentially great stay was let down by poor service in the dining room. Despite adequate staffing, our orders were not taken for 15 minutes and we waited a further 30 mins for food to arrive. When it did arrive, one dish was missing. It appeared that it had been forgotten altogether and when it was finally brought out it had clearly been re-heated. It was cold in the middle so we had to wait a further 5 mins for the dish to come back out again. Plates were not cleared, and when the waiter did clear them, he left half of them on the table.
When it was time for dessert, yet again a dish was missing. By the time a waiter became visible so that we could remind them of the third dessert, we had already finished two the original two dishes.
We were not offered any drink re-fills at any point. We did complain at the end of the meal and were offered a refund on drinks and one of the dishes. It's a shame it came to that.
For breakfast, the service was just as bad. Very slow despite numerous young waiting staff. Manager seemed too busy laughing and joking with them. At one stage I walked up to the bar to change part of our order and there was one member of staff hiding to the left drinking some orange juice and another in a doorway on the right doing the same! In full view of the manager who appeared to be shielding them from view. Again, dishes were not cleared and we were only offered more coffee at the end of the breakfast. Other guests were complaining that they had to wait for a long time to place their cooked breakfast orders, as did we.
The spa changing facilities weren't great, no soap in showers and dirty floors. Jacuzzi was closed on two occasions.
Overall, you get what you pay for, but it's a shame that a potentially great hotel was let down by its service and the immaturity and inexperience of its staff. Definitely not in the same league as many of the 4 start hotels we have stayed at.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Aldwark Manor Golf and Spa Hotel is located near York. It is nestled in a picturesque village in between York and Harrogate within the stunning North Yorkshire Moors. Even though this gem of a hotel makes you feel a million miles away, it is just a hop, skip and a jump away from the A59. What better way to take in the views than to play the 18 hole golf course? The challenging course is set amidst gorgeous rolling hills. This hotel is a real mix of old and new. With 53 individually designed bedrooms which are split between the modern contemporary wing of the hotel and the traditional Manor house. If you are staying on business then the hotel has 6 conference and meeting rooms for up to 240 people. What's more the superb grounds covering 100 acres are ideal for team building events. Indulge yourself with an array of treatments at the spa or build up a sweat in the leisure club. Finish off the day with a delicious meal in our award-winning Brasserie, or snack on a selection of tasty nibbles whilst overlooking the manicured golf course in either The Terrace or Squadron Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Aldwark Manor Hotel Aldwark
- Aldwark Manor York
- Aldwark Manor Hotel York
- Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel Yorkshire