“Great potential...let down by the service.”

Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Aldwark
Barcelona, Spain
“Great potential...let down by the service.”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Lovely location, reasonable spa, child friendly and nice food & accommodation. Cost of stay/promotion great, but overly-expensive dining.

A potentially great stay was let down by poor service in the dining room. Despite adequate staffing, our orders were not taken for 15 minutes and we waited a further 30 mins for food to arrive. When it did arrive, one dish was missing. It appeared that it had been forgotten altogether and when it was finally brought out it had clearly been re-heated. It was cold in the middle so we had to wait a further 5 mins for the dish to come back out again. Plates were not cleared, and when the waiter did clear them, he left half of them on the table.

When it was time for dessert, yet again a dish was missing. By the time a waiter became visible so that we could remind them of the third dessert, we had already finished two the original two dishes.

We were not offered any drink re-fills at any point. We did complain at the end of the meal and were offered a refund on drinks and one of the dishes. It's a shame it came to that.

For breakfast, the service was just as bad. Very slow despite numerous young waiting staff. Manager seemed too busy laughing and joking with them. At one stage I walked up to the bar to change part of our order and there was one member of staff hiding to the left drinking some orange juice and another in a doorway on the right doing the same! In full view of the manager who appeared to be shielding them from view. Again, dishes were not cleared and we were only offered more coffee at the end of the breakfast. Other guests were complaining that they had to wait for a long time to place their cooked breakfast orders, as did we.

The spa changing facilities weren't great, no soap in showers and dirty floors. Jacuzzi was closed on two occasions.

Overall, you get what you pay for, but it's a shame that a potentially great hotel was let down by its service and the immaturity and inexperience of its staff. Definitely not in the same league as many of the 4 start hotels we have stayed at.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
kharrisonmann, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post this review.

Aldwark as you say is in a lovely location and I was pleased to read that you felt elements of your stay namely the spa , food quality , accommodation and our child friendly approach were all positives for you .

I was glad you secured your stay on a special promotional rate as they offer great value for money. In respect of the dining prices we do of course appreciate your opinions, but we do feel we are competitive against our local competitors and it is reflective of the quality of the produce we buy for our dishes.

We were disappointed that your dining experience marred what would have otherwise been a very enjoyable stay.
During half term as you will know we were very busy in the restaurant and whilst this is no excuse for inadequate service there were elements impacting the service.
Currently we have new waiting and kitchen staff and these two departments are still in training and trying to find their feet. In addition it was the newly appointed Restaurant and Bars Manager first weekend in the hotel. Unfortunately as a result we did get some elements of the service wrong on this occasion.
We are very sorry about the shortfalls that you experienced but please be assured we have addressed the issues you have raised and we have since done extra training and service is now beginning to gel together. We are confident that with a new manager in this area service should improve shortly.

In respect of the leisure and spa comments , I have reviewed them with the club manager . The club was extremely busy and we were a little understaffed for half term . We will organize ourselves slightly differently in future so we may improve our operations during extra busy periods so we can keep on top of the standards.I
n respect of the Jacuzzi , unfortunately they are occasionally taken out of service for various reasons for a temporary period of time but we try and keep disruption to a minimum.

Once again I would like to reassure you that we do value your feedback as it will help us to improve our guest service going forward.

I do hope one day you may return to Aldwark to experience a better standard of service that your comments have helped us to create.

Kay Harrison-Mann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
Manchester
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The hotel was lovely wiith a large family rooms and spacious drawing rooms with games etc. The kids loved the pool and I had treatments in the spa - the theraprist was very good. Top marks to the restaurant for food at dinner and breakfast. All the staff were helpful. I would definatley recommend it both with and without kids and look forward to going back.

Room Tip: Visit Diggerland at Castleford on route if you have boys and the Chocalate experience in York is wor...
Dear Granber

Thank you for such a fantastic review and the team and I were delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Aldwark Manor for the half term holidays.

The hotel has a lovely atmosphere whether you are hear as a family or on an adult break as you say .Our aim is to make sure that all our guests feel relaxed and looked after .

The leisure club and spa offer a great place to unwind and I'm glad the kids enjoyed themselves and you had the chance to pamper yourself too.

Once again thank you for taking the time to post the review and we very much look forward
to welcoming you back in the near future.

cheshire
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We went to the hotel for a 2 night break so that we could visit York. The break was great and we really enjoyed the atmosphere and the food in the hotel. The leisure facililties were superb and our two teenagers enjoyed themselves. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable even when I asked them for the postcode for the park and ride. Nothing was too much trouble and yet again we have had a great stay with happy memories. 11/10 for breakfast by the way.

Dear winmum

Thank you for the fantastic review and taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay here with us at Aldwark.

The team and I were delighted that you enjoyed your break and all of the facilities the hotel has to offer. It was lovely to read that we created some special memories for you all too.

We hope you had a great day in York ,which is not too far away and that we were able to help you with the details that you needed to plan where you wanted to go.

It was encouraging to read that you thought the food and ambiance of the hotel were good and it is a reflection of all of the hard work that the new kitchen and restaurant team have been working towards in this area of the business.

I was pleased that your two teenagers had a fun in the leisure club because this is what having a break away is all about.

Once again many thanks for your review and we look forward to welcoming you all back in the very near future.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

After reading reviews was very apprehensive about our visit. On arrival was greeted warmly by receptionist who told us, because we are Breakaway Club members we had been upgraded to a suite. This was suite 201 which had great views over the golf course. Could not find any fault with the room, leisure facilities or restaurant . The food was the best we have had in any of the Q hotels. Would recommend the Breakaway club if you use Q hotels regularly. Will certainly be returning to Aldwark Manor

Room Tip: Suite 201 with great views over the golf course. Bathroom large and large walk-in wardrobe. Safe a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Janet

Thank you for such a great review we are very grateful for the accolade of being the best hotel as Q Hotels offer so many lovely properties and locations .

All the team at Aldwark were delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and all that the hotel has to offer in terms of facilities and restaurant experience.

Room 201 does indeed have a superb view of the golf course and we always look after our breakaway customers as loyal and returning guests.

The new head chef was pleased that you found the food faultless as it is a brand new menu and he has recently moved from another hotel from within Q Hotels to stamp his new style on the brasserie here at Aldwark.

Once again I would like to thank you so much for the positive feedback and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

I booked Aldwark Manor for a 2 night break to celebrate my partner's birthday. When we arrived we were impressed with the drive up and the main entrance to the hotel. The receptionist was welcoming and friendly. However when we opened the door to our room, we were really disappointed. The room, which was in the old manor part of the hotel was extremely small and dated. The bathroom door didn't have a lock on and smelled very damp. The bathroom floor resembled that of my old high school PE changing rooms. Having spent 10 minutes in the room, we decided to ask at reception if there were any other rooms available. The reception manager was lovely and very accommodating. She showed me a couple of alternatives which resulted in us being moved to a more modern room in the newer part of the hotel.
That evening we decided to have a drink in the bar before heading to the restaurant to eat. The barman in the squadron bar was very friendly and polite. The food in the restaurant was alright but was very expensive for what we got (£15 for fish & chips and £18 for lamb). The second night we ventured to the local pub, The Aldwark Arms, the food here was much nicer and slightly cheaper although lacking any atmosphere.
The lesuire facilities here are ok but not what I'd expect of a 4 star hotel. The changing rooms and poolside were dirty and the settees in the waiting area were dirty and worn. During our stay we booked spa treatments at the nearby Oulton Hall in Leeds, also a 4 star hotel. I was so glad we booked there instead of Aldwark Manor as the two were poles apart in terms of cleanliness and luxury.
As it was my partners birthday I'd taken some champagne and flutes with me. I unpacked these and left them on the side. When we returned to our room, our champagne flutes had gone. I phoned reception who sent up some more glasses but I was a bit concerned as to where ours had gone. The barman who brought the glasses assured me that housekeeping would not have taken the glasses, making me feel a little silly for asking! The next day on checking out I asked the receptionist if the housekeeping team had seen them and was told they had them in lost property. The receptionist tried really hard to find them and managed to get them back for us.

Overall, most of the staff were friendly and helpful but the hotel is tired and in need of updating. This feels more like an average 3 star hotel, not the luxury 4 star hotel that we were expecting.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Guest

Please accept my sincere apologies that your stay was not as you expected on this occasion.

May I thank you for taking the time to post the review and for the positive comments on the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff during your time with us .

I was disappointed to read that your room was not up to the standard that you were expecting. In respect of the damp smelling bathroom there was unfortunately a recent roof leak which has now been repaired and the smell has gone. I was pleased that the reception team offered you an alternative room to your satisfaction.

In respect of the food , this is a new menu which has been well received and is priced in line with our competitors . The price also reflects the high quality of ingredients we use in our dishes . The service and ambiance that we provide in the brasserie is a totally different dining experience to that of the Aldwark Arms and we have a higher staff ratio to customer .

I was surprised to read that you felt the Spa facilities were not up to a 4 star standard, as we receive many positive comments about our facilities and treatments we offer. Iam sure had you booked your Spa treatments with us you would have found them as equally as good as Oulton Hall. It was unfortunate we never had the opportunity to look after you in the Spa and impress you.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies about the situation with the champagne glasses. The housekeeping team did clear them from your room in error thinking they were ours but Iam pleased that the receptionist was able to track them down and return them.

I was disappointed that you felt the hotel was more 3 star than 4 star. The hotel has always held four stars against a strict criteria based on facilities and service which is assessed every year independently. The hotel is an historic manor house with all the character that offers and we have a new modern extension including the spa , so we have something for everyone and we cater to different tastes. However we appreciate your opinions and will bear in mind your comments when we next consider a refurbishment.

Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback as it is extremely valuable to us so we may improve our facilities and customer service in the future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed here as a family group for 2 nights for my sisters 40th birthday celebrations. I had contacted the hotel directly prior to our arrival to let them know this stay was for a special occasion. A special thank you to Jacqi, who organised complimentary pink fizz, chocolates and a card in my sisters bedroom. This was a lovely surprise and really appreciated. Also thanks to the barman who very patiently waited for the right moment to bring my sisters birthday cake into the lounge! We were also all given upgraded rooms, and these were very stylish and spacious, with great views and had some complimentary drinks in the fridge. All the staff we came across were helpful and friendly and eager to please. We enjoyed the swimming pool and jacuzzi, although could have done with the children's time in the pool finishing a little later than midday, allowing for breakfasts to be digested etc! Another minor tip for improvement would be more information being given to guests about the baby swimming lesson times in the pool, as on the second day the pool was cornered off for this. Also the ladies changing room is small and so the babies and their changing matts and car seats covered the entire floor! Had we known, we could have avoided this time. Back to the hotel, breakfast buffet was lovely, with lots of choice of fruit, cereals, pastries, cheese etc. Again, Jacqi was very friendly and efficient at seating us all, and taking hot food orders. The hot food was nicely cooked to order, we were even brought plates of pancakes as it was the day after Shrove Tuesday! On the second day some cooked items were missing off our orders, but when pointed out the waiters were very accomadating and these were brought swiftly to the table. Large pots of tea, coffee, and hot water were brought to our table, without having to ask for it. We ate out on the first night, and had dinner in the restaurant on the second night. The only downside was the time it took for the food to arrive, about 45 minutes for the starters, especially with children, it got really late for them to be eating. However, the food itself was really nice and cooked well, (except for a very peculiar tasting cheesecake). The portion sizes were good, lovely chunky chips, and the childrens meals were generous also. Great sticky toffee pudding and rhubarb tart can also be recommended. We also requested if one of the gourmet burgers could be chicken breast, rather than beef, and this was accomodated even though it wasn't on the menu. Fish and chips was nice also, and again, a nice large piece of fish! All in all, a very enjoyable stay, we would definately return, and thanks again to the staff who made the stay extra special.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
kharrisonmann, General Manager at Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Alimaty

It was fantastic to read such a positive review about your special 40th Birthday celebration with us with us here at Aldwark.

I have passed your thank you on to Jacqui and she was delighted that you enjoyed your time with us. I was also pleased that the staff in general across the hotel had gone the extra mile to make everything special for you and it is our pleasure.

We are glad that you enjoyed what the hotel had to offer in terms of bedrooms , spa and leisure facilities. We thank you your comments about the children swimming times and the baby swimming lesson times and we will review in due course in respect of the impact it may have on other guests enjoyment of the facilities.

In respect of the restaurant service and waiting times for food , we appolgise for the shortcomings in this area.
I have passed your comments onto the hotel operations manager and the head chef for review. The kitchen and waiting staff are all new into their jobs and this could have resulted in the delays.
We have been been training the staff and your comments have helped us to do this to ensure we improve our service in the future.
On a positive note I was pleased to read that you felt the food quality was good and when items of food were overlooked we were quick to address matters.

May I thank you for taking the time to post the review and I was delighted to note that you would definitely return one day and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Milton Keynes
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Although we remembered the problems with slow service, and inadequate breakfast, from our last visit, we really wanted to revisit the area, so I booked a really good deal at the hotel.
The check in was friendly and helpful, and all the staff we met in the bar and spa areas were really lovely. Our room was very claen and comfortable, and having the heater in the room, during the snowy weather was a bonus!
Howevever, the restaurant was even worse this time! There were three people on duty, in the evening, only one of whom was a waiter. We had to wait 25 minutes for our starter, in a restaurant which was only half full. The starters were both good, but then we waited 45 minutes for our main courses! (Unlike the comment below, there was no apology, nor an offer of complimentary drinks!) I had chicken chasseur, and the chicken appeared to be a greeny-grey colour. There was some stir -fried veg and a potato dish. When I tried the chicken, I found it was full of oil, as was the potato dish. The waiter seemed surprised when I said I was not happy, but took it , and I waited 15-20 minutes for a replacement, which was all ok, but I appeared to have received the same piece of chicken, but half the size! My partner had blade of beef, which I expected to be braised, but was, in fact, served in the style of rilletes, and was tiny! The puddings were delicious.I had decided to pay cash for extras, but I was still required to sign the bill, and received no receipt.
The breakfast room on both mornings of our stay, was chaotic! On the first morning we waited a long time for my partner's order to be taken, then when it arrived, a full 20minutes later, it was wrong, as there was no egg. It was removed and when it was returned it appeared to have been kept warm - only just warm, while the egg was added! There was no Flora, or other alternative to butter, and I was told that if its not there we don't have it! The second morning we received our breakfasts at different times, although it seemed that my poached egg had been allowed to go hardld waiting for his breakast to be finished! What a shame! The restaurant manager seemed to have numbered the tables in her head but hadn't communicated the system to the waitresses - fun to watch, but not to experience at a four star.
When we left I was told that I owed money for the dinner, but I said that I had pad cash, so this was removed. Once again I received no receipt.
If the restaurant had beenup to standard, the hotel would have been excellent, but I fear that if it does not improve the four star rating may well be in danger.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Pat

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

Firstly , I was delighted to read that you decided to return to Aldwark for another stay and that you secured a good deal. I was also pleased to note that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful and the room comfortable. The Spa as you say is indeed lovely and Aldwark is equally so in the snow as you saw.

I was disappointed to learn that the restaurant service had not improved since your last visit and we sincerely appolgise for your poor experience.

The wait I agree was unacceptable as was the quality of the food .All your comments about the dishes have been passed onto the new head chef and the service elements passed onto the new restaurant and bar manager . Iam sure once these two new managers have settled into their jobs then will will shortly see significant improvements in both areas.
Unfortunately occasionally when there is a changeover in management there is a small transition period where things may go wrong while staff settle down and this has sadly happened during your stay. However, please be assured we have taken your comments very seriously and we have already started re-training the team.

As you said ,the hotel would have been excellent if the restaurant would have been up to scratch and your comments are helping us to address the issues as we are determined to offer only first class service in the future.

We do hope you will return one day , so we may show you how you have helped us to improve.

Kay Harrison-Mann
Also consider these accommodations in or near Aldwark
Oulton Hall & Spa
The Queens - Leeds
#11 of 87 in Leeds
York Marriott Hotel
Best Western Burn Hall Hotel

Been to Aldwark Manor Golf & Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!